PDA

View Full Version : BS Alert: NSA denies Obama knew of spying on German leader

CaseyJones
10-28-2013, 08:53 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/27/rogers-house-intelligence-chief-nsa-europe/3282161/

The National Security Agency Sunday denied German media reports that President Obama was told in 2010 of NSA spying on German Chancellor Angela Merkel and allowed it to continue.

On Sunday, the German tabloid Bild am Sonntag, citing unnamed intelligence sources, reported that Obama was told by Gen. Keith Alexander, the NSA director, in 2010 that Merkel's phone was being tapped and that Obama allowed it to continue.

Another report, this time in the German magazine Der Spiegel, said the NSA first started tapping Merkel's cellphone in 2002 when she was leader of the German opposition party.

"Gen. Alexander did not discuss with President Obama in 2010 an alleged foreign intelligence operation involving German Chancellor Merkel, nor has he ever discussed alleged operations involving Chancellor Merkel. News reports claiming otherwise are not true." NSA spokeswoman Vanee' Vines said in a statement.

Also on Sunday, the Wall Street Journal reported that the NSA stopped a program that intercepted the communications of Merkel and other European leaders after an internal White House review informed this summer President Obama of the extent of the surveillance, the Wall Street Journal reported late Sunday.

Cleaner44
10-28-2013, 09:13 AM
So the NSA is taking the position that they operate free of direction from even the President of the United States. Seems to me like they are out of control if that is the case. Apparently we have a rogue agency that take it upon themselves to spy on other world leaders at their own discretion. Does the U.S. government consider the German government a terrorist organization?

Keith and stuff
10-28-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm pretty sure the NSA, CIA and FBI all do things that are very bad that the White House doesn't know about. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all spying on the White House and Congress too. The NSA should be abolished.

thoughtomator
10-28-2013, 09:20 AM
So the NSA is taking the position that they operate free of direction from even the President of the United States. Seems to me like they are out of control if that is the case. Apparently we have a rogue agency that take it upon themselves to spy on other world leaders at their own discretion. Does the U.S. government consider the German government a terrorist organization?

People no longer look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them we are a dictatorship run by the security agencies.

seapilot
10-28-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty sure the NSA, CIA and FBI all do things that are very bad that the White House doesn't know about. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all spying on the White House and Congress too. The NSA should be abolished.

Well if they shared the information publicly with everyone what was going on at the White House and congress behind closed doors it would not be all bad. That should be the only spying they are allowed to do.

surf
10-28-2013, 12:27 PM
the bombshell we need: the release that NSA is collecting everything congress does.

HOLLYWOOD
10-28-2013, 12:53 PM
the bombshell we need: the release that NSA is collecting everything congress does.That sure would throw a monkey wrench into the bribed and statist politicians who voting AYE for the NSA.