PDA

View Full Version : Adam Kokesh's lawyer withdraws, will be "represented" by public pretender

Lucille
10-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Poor Adam. I don't like the way this is going.

http://anthonyantonello.com/update-on-adam-kokesh-and-his-attorney/

October 23, 2013 – 3:00pm EDT

Due to circumstances beyond the control of either Adam Kokesh or Peter Cooper, Adam’s attorney handling his Washington, D.C. cases, Mr. Cooper had to withdraw from representation at an emergency court hearing this morning. These circumstances were not in any way related to, caused by, or initiated by the conduct of either Adam or Mr. Cooper. For obvious legal reasons, the nature of the circumstances cannot be disclosed. Mr. Cooper is doing everything he can to make the transition to a new attorney appointed by the court as smooth as possible.

The court has continued the trial date on the firearms related charges from October 31, 2013 to November 18, 2013

https://www.facebook.com/ADAMVSTHEMAN/posts/10151665243411260

Gun rights activist Adam Kokesh scheduled in court
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/23775804/gun-rights-activist-adam-kokesh-scheduled-in-court#axzz2ieXAUcjl

WASHINGTON -Posted: Oct 24, 2013 2:57 AM Updated: Oct 24, 2013 2:58 AM

The gun rights activist accused of loading a shotgun in Freedom Plaza back in July will once again appear before a judge.

Adam Kokesh is scheduled for a court appearance as part of the jury trial beginning at 9:30 am.

On July fourth, Kokesh uploaded a YouTube video of himself loading a 12 gauge shotgun in the district.

When investigators searched his home in Virginia, they found nine other weapons.

Kokesh argues that he never intended to hurt anyone with the weapons but was merely making a political statement.

He DIDN'T hurt anyone!

Ben Swann (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=605091159555838&set=a.328071873924436.79088.124075334324092&type=1&comment_id=1881348&offset=0&total_comments=45): sounds like it is time to cover @adamkokesh

dannno
10-24-2013, 01:32 PM
I'd be pretty interested in finding out what happened to his lawyer - and why

muzzled dogg
10-24-2013, 01:37 PM
curious

jkr
10-24-2013, 01:46 PM
hes gone man, we lost him

pile the bones over there with the rest

save us a spot

JK/SEA
10-24-2013, 01:46 PM
paging Ben Swann....

jmdrake
10-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Okay. That's strange. Where I live you can't get a public defender unless you are indigent. Is Kokesh broke? And if so, then how did he hire the first attorney? :confused:

fr33
10-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Okay. That's strange. Where I live you can't get a public defender unless you are indigent. Is Kokesh broke? And if so, then how did he hire the first attorney? :confused:

People working for him stole all his money while he was in jail. I don't have time to find the links but it was discussed here.

acptulsa
10-24-2013, 01:51 PM

Well, there's a possibility that Cooper was doing it pro bono for the publicity, but has since been persuaded to do otherwise.

And there's an even more distinct possibility that Kokesh wasn't broke until Cooper sent him a bill for the first few hours of his time.

jmdrake
10-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Moneybomb to hire Kokesh a decent attorney? I mean seriously. He can be an ass sometimes, but on balance I've found him helpful to the cause. Besides, he's being prosecuted (persecuted) for standing up for the 2nd amendment.

AuH20
10-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Moneybomb to hire Kokesh a decent attorney? I mean seriously. He can be an ass sometimes, but on balance I've found him helpful to the cause. Besides, he's being prosecuted (persecuted) for standing up for the 2nd amendment.

After the money was raided, I'm not so sure you can raise a dime for Adam Kokesh at this point.

fisharmor
10-24-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure what DC jail he's in, but I'd bet the rent it's less than 1 hour's drive from the NRA headquarters.
:rolleyes:

VBRonPaulFan
10-24-2013, 02:22 PM

After the fiasco with his 'associates' looting most of his funds that had been already raised for court costs, good luck.

brandon
10-24-2013, 02:25 PM
Sounds like a non-payment issue to me.

Lucille
10-24-2013, 02:40 PM

I don't know who this person is but it was posted on the FB link:

Charles Lupton: Mr. Cooper was not a public defender. However, this was also not a financial issue even though now more must be raised to get him a new attorney(I recommend sending anything to his commissary to avoid "middlemen").

Akeem Aoc: No money no freedom. That's how this corrupted county is running now. Smh
7 · Yesterday at 12:44pm via mobile

It's how it's been run for a long time:

"The State, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing."
--Albert Jay Nock

BIRM

Christian Liberty
10-24-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm not sure what DC jail he's in, but I'd bet the rent it's less than 1 hour's drive from the NRA headquarters.
:rolleyes:

Why does this matter?

dannno
10-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Why does this matter?

They should be defending him, we all know they won't, but they should be.

Does GOA have any attorneys they can send?

anaconda
10-24-2013, 03:20 PM
After the money was raided, I'm not so sure you can raise a dime for Adam Kokesh at this point.

As long as we, or someone trustworthy, is in control of the account that the money bomb contributions are paid to, why should there be a problem? I don't understand your claim that "a dime can't be raised."

torchbearer
10-24-2013, 04:52 PM
hes gone man, we lost him

pile the bones over there with the rest

save us a spot

if only they'd transfer him to a prison in louisiana.

Feeding the Abscess
10-24-2013, 04:56 PM
It's not a payment issue, Adam's dad has been helping him out with representation.

Lucille
10-24-2013, 05:20 PM
"Due to the oath I swore to the constitution when I enlisted in the United States Marine Corps, by virtue of the universal human right to self defense, in accordance with the Supreme Court case, D.C. vs. Heller, which affirmed that the statutes under which I am being charged are unconstitutional and thus null and void, and on behalf of all freedom loving Americans, I plead not guilty."
-Adam Kokesh in court today (https://www.facebook.com/ADAMVSTHEMAN/posts/10151667152351260)

Lucille
10-24-2013, 05:30 PM
http://www.myfoxdc.com/video?clipId=9448840&autostart=true#axzz2igWNpmMG

"Gun activist Adam Kokesh needs a new lawyer."

I can't get that video to play.

kcchiefs6465
10-24-2013, 06:17 PM
It's probably because the lawyer wants to negotiate a deal to reduce the chance of him being sentenced to prison and Adam does not want to. I would imagine Adam wishes to address the court against his lawyer's advice. The lawyer can't say that their strategies are too widely apart or that he doesn't agree with Adam Kokesh and as such cannot represent him without a hint of bias or a stain on Adam's new defense.

Kudos to Adam Kokesh for staying strong. The facade of "protecting the public" is ingrained deeply in the minds of most. Hopefully a juror understands their obligations... and likewise, hopefully Adam Kokesh gets released as soon as possible with a lawsuit granted his way. (to pay for the door, the floor, the various other broken shit and the psychological effects of being encaged)

satchelmcqueen
10-24-2013, 11:24 PM
this is bs. adam hang in there buddy!

speciallyblend
10-24-2013, 11:47 PM
It's probably because the lawyer wants to negotiate a deal to reduce the chance of him being sentenced to prison and Adam does not want to. I would imagine Adam wishes to address the court against his lawyer's advice. The lawyer can't say that their strategies are too widely apart or that he doesn't agree with Adam Kokesh and as such cannot represent him without a hint of bias or a stain on Adam's new defense.

Kudos to Adam Kokesh for staying strong. The facade of "protecting the public" is ingrained deeply in the minds of most. Hopefully a juror understands their obligations... and likewise, hopefully Adam Kokesh gets released as soon as possible with a lawsuit granted his way. (to pay for the door, the floor, the various other broken shit and the psychological effects of being encaged)

I hope you are right. I wish their was a wealthier ron pauler aka mighty mouse willing to step in and try to save the day for adam. sigh

Brian4Liberty
10-25-2013, 12:22 PM

The problem is that there is no one to trust at this point.

After the fiasco with his 'associates' looting most of his funds that had been already raised for court costs, good luck.

That.

pcosmar
10-25-2013, 12:58 PM
For obvious legal reasons, the nature of the circumstances cannot be disclosed

Not at all obvious. Seems he was either Fired,,or quit and the reason is not forthcoming
Perhaps he was threatened,,and so it CANNOT BE DISCLOSED.

It is Obfuscated. That is Obvious.

10-25-2013, 01:34 PM

That's possible. I recall reading how the people living with him went through all the donation money.

This also seems possible. Generally a lawyer will end representation if you don't take their advice or follow their legal strategy.

Either way I hope he gets this resolved and is able to get his life back together.

Acala
10-25-2013, 01:53 PM

I think that is a pretty good guess. Typically a court will not allow an attorney to withdraw from a criminal defense just because he isn't getting paid. This is why criminal defense attorneys demand payment up front.

Acala
10-25-2013, 01:54 PM
They should be defending him, we all know they won't, but they should be.

Does GOA have any attorneys they can send?

Defend him against drug charges? Ain't gonna happen. Not NRA, not GOA. The Feds have him in a nasty bind.

tod evans
10-25-2013, 02:10 PM
The Feds have him in a nasty bind.

On purpose. :mad:

pcosmar
10-25-2013, 09:25 PM
Defend him against drug charges? Ain't gonna happen. Not NRA, not GOA. The Feds have him in a nasty bind.

What drug charges?

He has no drug charges in D.C. He has no Federal Drug Charges,,He has Virginia State Possession Charges,, but has not been tried nor convicted on that.

This is over a YouTube of him with a shotgun in Freedom Plaza.

Anti Federalist
10-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Godspeed Adam.

Say hello to Ed and Elaine Brown for me.

Another fallen.

DamianTV
10-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Then we need to make his inevitable conviction mean something because soon enough, it will be ALL of us.

RickyJ
10-26-2013, 12:36 AM
The problem is that there is no one to trust at this point.

I wouldn't say no one, unless you want to include Ron Paul too.

fr33
10-26-2013, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't say no one, unless you want to include Ron Paul too.

In context of what you are quoting, you make no sense whatsoever. Ron Paul has nothing to do with Kokesh. Ron hired people that eventually banned Kokesh from his events. So much for trust eh?

TruckinMike
10-26-2013, 11:21 AM

Even though kokesh's associates ripped off my last donation ($50), I'm willing to do it again. So long as the money goes where it will be securely held and used appropriately.

Money Bomb?? Yea, I'm in. All we need now is someone to set up the site...

Kickstarter? etc... Any ideas...

Bueller....Bueller.....Anyone?

JK/SEA
10-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Even though kokesh's associates ripped off my last donation ($50), I'm willing to do it again. So long as the money goes where it will be securely held and used appropriately.

Money Bomb?? Yea, I'm in. All we need now is someone to set up the site...

Kickstarter? etc... Any ideas...

Bueller....Bueller.....Anyone?

i'm in as well. I first want to see how this trial goes.

May need to crank it up for an appeal....

ItsTime
10-26-2013, 05:32 PM
paging Ben Swann....

In the works.

Lucille
10-30-2013, 11:37 AM
They're looking for a lawyer in D.C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y-9AUrTv3AU

Jeffrey Phillips shares extremely important facts about Adam's legal situation (updated from Carey's 10.28.13 video), the upcoming March to Free Adam from the Man, and other vital news and events.

Donate: http://adamvstheman.com/invest

Mail Flood: https://www.facebook.com/events/46795...
#FreeAdamKokesh: https://www.facebook.com/events/60075...

Email Jeffrey for donation concerns and legal recs: jeffrey@adamvstheman.com
Email Carey for production and fundraising: carey@adamvstheman.com
Email Mike Salvi regarding the march: salvi@adamvstheman.com

Please address love mail to adam@adamvstheman.com
Donate Bitcoin: 1BWeuWdgjrP8PFAwBwgwU9BUqJNewScouy
Get your AVTM shirts here:
http://adamvstheman.com/gear
Invest here to support ADAM VS THE MAN!
http://adamvstheman.com/invest

Our mission is to reach out to the DC local, as well as national media up to and including the day of the trial to make sure they cover this story. Email, fax, phone calls, tag them in social media, etc. Stay polite and courteous, but stay persistent so we can ensure their coverage of this trial and the rally.

The next hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, November 6th at 9:30am. There is a rally planned for the same day.

For more information about media outreach, contact Anthony Antonello by emailing Anthony@adamvstheman.com.

For more information about the rally, please contact Mike Salvi by emailing Salvi@adamvstheman.com

https://www.facebook.com/ADAMVSTHEMAN?ref=stream

Acala
10-30-2013, 11:49 AM
What drug charges?

He has no drug charges in D.C. He has no Federal Drug Charges,,He has Virginia State Possession Charges,, but has not been tried nor convicted on that.

Do you have a link that explains the charges? I can't find one . . .

Acala
10-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Not at all obvious. Seems he was either Fired,,or quit and the reason is not forthcoming
Perhaps he was threatened,,and so it CANNOT BE DISCLOSED.

It is Obfuscated. That is Obvious.

If it has anything to do with the defense strategy it would pretty much ALWAYS be a matter of attorney-client privilege and be kept confidential by everyone involved.

kcchiefs6465
10-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Do you have a link that explains the charges? I can't find one . . .

http://www.scribd.com/doc/156224919/Adam-Kokesh-court-documents

kcchiefs6465
10-30-2013, 12:01 PM
He is charged with the felony of openly carrying a shotgun and two misdemeanors of unregistered ammunition and an unregistered firearm. He is also facing separate charges of possession of a Schedule I or Schedule II drug while also in possession of a firearm in Virginia.

Lucille
10-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Related:

D.C. Prosecutors Worried a Truthful Ad About Jury Nullification in Metro Could Hurt Them
http://reason.com/blog/2013/10/30/dc-prosecutors-worried-a-truthful-ad-abo

The truth can indeed set you free, especially when it comes to the jury's right and responsibility to judge the law as well as the facts and make any decision it wants.

And when an ad promoting the cause of the Fully Informed Jury Association appeared in the D.C. metro system, it is making local prosecutors nervous, says the Washington Post:

Prospective jurors who take the subway to D.C. Superior Court and exit near the National Building Museum see these words: “Good jurors nullify bad laws” and “You have the right to ‘hang’ the jury with your vote if you cannot agree with other jurors.”

Since the billboard went up this month, District prosecutors have been worried that the message could sway their cases. In the past week alone, they have asked judges in three *cases to ensure that jurors had neither seen nor been influenced by the billboard....
[...]
The billboard also comes as Adam Kokesh, a Fairfax County-based gun rights activist, is preparing to go to trial after posting an Independence Day video on YouTube of himself apparently loading a shotgun in Freedom Plaza. He had been scheduled to go to trial Thursday, but the case was pushed back to at least Nov. 18.

Kokesh’s supporters have advocated for jury nullification in his case (http://freeadam.net/2013/08/13/denied-bond-again/).

[Kathleen] Tynan [of the Fully Informed Jury Association, named on the ad] said the Metro billboard was not directly aimed at the Kokesh, who pleaded not guilty to carrying a pistol without a license, but she said that his case was the kind her organization targeted. “It’s a victimless trial,” Tynan said.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office said there has been no organized effort by prosecutors to address the billboard, but instead prosecutors have raised the issue on a case-by-case basis...

Acala
10-30-2013, 02:27 PM
What drug charges?

The NRA is weak kneed in any event, so they probably wouldn't do anything no matter what. They didn't even want to pursue Heller. But any group concerned with making good precedent vindicating particular rights is going to choose the most favorable party to carry the cause. There is a saying among lawyers "Bad facts make bad law". So public interest lawyers look for good facts so they can make good law. Outstanding charges on drug possession is a bad fact. Also remember that MANY of the folks supporting groups like GOA think illegal drugs are EEEEVil and anyone who uses illegal drugs should be in a cage.

dannno
10-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Related:

D.C. Prosecutors Worried a Truthful Ad About Jury Nullification in Metro Could Hurt Them
http://reason.com/blog/2013/10/30/dc-prosecutors-worried-a-truthful-ad-abo

Hah, they need to put a little note at the bottom of the billboard "Remember to tell the Judge: You did NOT see this billboard!"

Aratus
10-30-2013, 04:49 PM
i'm hoping he gets a good lawyer because this has become an obscene soap opera due to that big rip~off

Lucille
11-03-2013, 03:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CDEhukI-xxU

11-03-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't agree with what he's done and the situation he's got himself into. But I do hope he is able to get a good lawyer and a fair trial.

kuckfeynes
11-03-2013, 11:05 PM
I wonder if Kokesh has ever read "Adventures in Legal Land" by Marc Stevens. I mean, he's an anarchist right? If you're going to take a hardline stand like that and not negotiate, why not go all in?

He's already shown his cards with that last statement. The prosecutor is probably licking his chops pouring through case law to annihilate the DC v. Heller argument. And we all know how well the Constitution has held up over the years. No lawyer out there, sympathetic or not, is going to take on what they consider a suicidal case.

And as a self-professed anarcho-capitalist, he shouldn't really believe in those arguments anyway because they presuppose the legitimacy of the court. He wants to stand on principle, but is already starting from a point of compromise. At least Stevens' strategy has shown some success in less serious situations.

pcosmar
11-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Unregistered ammunition?

And why would a weapon be registered in D.C when a person did not reside in D.C. ?

And there is NO registration for Shotguns in Virginia.

Danke
11-04-2013, 03:47 AM
I don't agree with what he's done and the situation he's got himself into. But I do hope he is able to get a good lawyer and a fair trial.

Thanks for sharing.