PDA

View Full Version : Mike Rowe Alarmed by the College Debt Cycle To Nowhere

AuH20
10-23-2013, 11:26 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/23/mike-rowe-of-dirty-jobs-speaks-about-hard-work-how-many-are-following-the-worst-advice-in-the-history-of-the-world/

Mike Rowe, widely-known from the hit TV show “Dirty Jobs” and a series of Ford commercials, appeared on The Glenn Beck Program Wednesday to discuss his efforts with the mikeroweWORKS Foundation in challenging “the absurd belief that a four-year degree is the only path to success.”

“We’re lending money we don’t have, to kids who will never be able to pay it back, for jobs that no longer exist,” he explained, echoing what he told TheBlaze TV’s Andrew Wilkow earlier this month. “That’s crazy, right? That’s what we’ve been doing for the last forty years.”

Of the roughly three million jobs that companies are struggling to fill, Rowe said only 8 to 12 percent require a college degree.

“That’s not me saying don’t go to college. I’m saying, to start your life [$150,000] in the hole, [$80,000] in the hole with your art history major…that’s why you’ve got a trillion dollars in debt. These kids can’t find a job that they’ve been trained for, and the expectation is, it should be waiting for me. It ain’t.”

At mikeroweWorks, they’re flipping the traditional notion of scholarships on its head by aiding students who demonstrate a solid work ethic, not financial need or academic or athletic merit.

“Why don’t we reward kids who are willing to learn a new trade, a useful skill, and…prove that they’re willing to get up early, stay late, and volunteer for every crappy task there is?” he said. “Let’s reward the thing we want to encourage. Long story short, we raised $800,000 for work ethic scholarships for this one school [Midwestern Technical Institute].”

bolil
10-24-2013, 12:08 AM
It is about more than making "debt-slaves" it is about creating an intellectual (LOL) class with a vested interest in the continuation of the "system".

VIDEODROME
10-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Parents just think college is the magic bullet solution to get their kids in the middle class. Today even if they doubt this they can't think of a better path.

In some cases this is even true if the kid gets on a path to a career in demand. In other cases, the kid with mentoring and support could make an Art education work. This is very rare though.

Most of the time, I think kids fresh out of High School have no direction or guidance. They wander into college admissions offices with no clear agenda.

donnay
10-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Parents just think college is the magic bullet solution to get their kids in the middle class. Today even if they doubt this they can't think of a better path.

In some cases this is even true if the kid gets on a path to a career in demand. In other cases, the kid with mentoring and support could make an Art education work. This is very rare though.

Most of the time, I think kids fresh out of High School have no direction or guidance. They wander into college admissions offices with no clear agenda.

I agree. Most kids getting out of high school have no skills training. They have no idea what a hard days labor really is. A lot of schools do not offer wood working, or mechanically training any more. Hell they do not even offer home economics either, is it any wonder why people are clueless about nutrition and eating well?