PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis pepper-spraying cop gets $38K for psychiatric disability claim

tsai3904
10-23-2013, 04:27 PM
UC Davis pepper-spraying cop gets $38K for disability claim

http://i40.tinypic.com/rwhz6w.jpg

DAVIS, CA - Former UC Davis police Lt. John Pike has been awarded $38,056 for psychiatric injuries he claimed to have suffered following a 2011 campus pepper-spraying incident that drew worldwide criticism.

The university paid out a total of $1 million to 21 activists who Pike doused with pepper spray as they sat in peaceful protest in the university quad.

Pike, who was later fired, filed a workers' compensation claim saying he suffered depression and anxiety over the way he was treated in the wake of the incident.

A psychiatrist, who was agreed upon as an expert by both UC Davis and Pike's attorney, found Pike suffers from a "moderate" disability and is therefore entitled to workers' compensation benefits.

More:
http://www.news10.net/news/california/article/261524/430/UC-Davis-pepper-spraying-cop-gets-38K-for-disability-claim

tod evans
10-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Shameful!

JK/SEA
10-23-2013, 04:33 PM
one big happy family...warms the heart.

VoluntaryAmerican
10-23-2013, 04:53 PM
OH my God.

Root
10-23-2013, 04:55 PM
"Just-us"

dannno
10-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Was he directed to spray them by somebody?

jllundqu
10-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Great pic on inforwars

VoluntaryAmerican
10-23-2013, 09:41 PM
BUMP

phill4paul
10-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Well, this is just awesome. I soooo love the "Just-Us" system.

Mani
10-23-2013, 10:48 PM
OMG, I hope the officer is OK!

He was just doing his job spraying those pesky kids!

Thoughts and prayers go out to the officer. I'm sure the trauma he suffered from trying to blind those kids was too much for him to bear.

Or maybe he suffered deeply when he saw the meme of him spraying baby jesus. Poor guy.

bolil
10-23-2013, 10:52 PM
I just imagine him laying on his death bed. A body wracked by disease. He mutters something, as his eyes lose focus and the light ceases to enter his brain:

"I'm sorry," he says, but not with lips
Satan replies, "I'm not. Welcome home, son."

I do not damn him to hell, I could not damn him to hell. He chose that fate for his Goddamned self. A lesser instrument of tyranny, a tragic being. Scum enough to be considered so, but not with enough stench to rise higher than mere muscle.

phill4paul
10-23-2013, 10:57 PM
I just imagine him laying on his death bed. A body wracked by disease. He mutters something, as his eyes lose focus and the light ceases to enter his brain:

"I'm sorry," he says, but not with lips
Satan replies, "I'm not. Welcome home, son."

I do not damn him to hell, I could not damn him to hell. He chose that fate for his Goddamned self.

That would be the "karma" gonna take care of it approach? Meh...........

bolil
10-23-2013, 11:04 PM
That would be the "karma" gonna take care of it approach? Meh...........

Wouldn't you say it is too early to tell? Karma? Nah, I'll tell you this, though: We are all going to die, and what happens then is a mystery (in the greatest most definitive measure of the word). Perhaps there will be an accounting, perhaps not. Either way, as this fuck lay dying, he will wonder. Everyone does.

What should we do? Hunt him down and TCB? And in doing so condemn ourselves to the mercy of the unmerciful power of our time? If there were any real unity to this thing we call a movement, that might be possible.

Besides, the "karma gonna take care of it" approach is better, at least more consistent, than the "meh without action" approach.

I don't think I would see this man dead, I don't think I would kill him myself, so I'll not call for that. I would call for, however, the denaturing of the badge. All of them. It is nice, it pleases the primal parts of a brain, to look at an instance and hate it. Better, though, is to look at the system and hate that. To hate the mother on whose tit this pig suckled. (I hope it is apparent that I do not mean the human what birthed this pig, but the system that nourished, and has now rewarded, his behavior).

I know, I ignore all manner of gradation between life-punishment-death. This is wrong. He should be tried for his crimes, absolutely. I mean, actual crime where in he created victims that deserve to be made whole.

That he is being paid 40k. That is probably worse than the spray to the victims.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-24-2013, 06:26 AM
http://nation.time.com/2013/10/24/infamous-pepper-spray-officer-wins-thousands-in-compensation-case/

http://timemilitary.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/pepper-spray.jpg?w=360&h=240&crop=1

After a video showing police officer John Pike pepper spraying Occupy protestors at the University of California-Davis campus in November 2011 went viral, Pike allegedly received death threats and suffered depression.

The stress was so great that Pike was able to reach a settlement with his former employer for $38,000 in a workers compensation suit this week for the psychological damage he suffered, reports the Guardian.

Bern
10-24-2013, 07:12 AM
Disgusting. His employer is responsible for the fallout from his own heinous acts? The "internal investigation" that cleared him of wrongdoing is the problem. The system protects the enforcers when they do evil. You get what you deserve America when you don't get involved in local politics.

kathy88
10-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Beyond disgusting. A mere $38K? How long can someone live on that? He should have been awarded at least 10K/month for the rest of his life, putting himself in harm's way like that. We live in a strange heartless world...

FindLiberty
10-24-2013, 08:57 AM
....psychiatrist, who was agreed upon as an expert by both UC Davis and Pike's attorney, found Pike suffers from a "moderate" disability and is therefore entitled to workers' compensation benefits... Where is that "almost became a state law" proposal that would required the good doctor to wear a funny hat while giving testimony in court....? ( I saw it posted here? a few days ago...)

Occam's Banana
10-24-2013, 09:31 AM
Where is that "almost became a state law" proposal that would required the good doctor to wear a funny hat while giving testimony in court....? ( I saw it posted here? a few days ago...)

If we're gonna have political elites making rules that're gonna be forced on everyone, then those rules should at least be as edifying & entertaining as possible. Like the following ...

In 1995, State Senator Duncan Scott of Albuquerque, New Mexico introduced the following bill for consideration by the New Mexico State Senate:

When a psychologist or psychiatrist testifies during a defendant’s competency hearing, the psychologist or psychiatrist shall wear a cone-shaped hat that is not less than two feet tall. The surface of the hat shall be imprinted with stars and lightning bolts.

Additionally, a psychologist or psychiatrist shall be required to don a white beard that is not less than 18 inches in length, and shall punctuate crucial elements of his testimony by stabbing the air with a wand. Whenever a psychologist or psychiatrist provides expert testimony regarding a defendant’s competency, the bailiff shall contemporaneously dim the courtroom lights and administer two strikes to a Chinese gong.

This bill actually passed the New Mexico State Senate, although it never became law. [I haz teh sad. :( - OB]

Source (PDF): http://mitpress2.mit.edu/books/chapters/0262017237chap1.pdf

Lucille
10-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Pike, who was later fired, filed a workers' compensation claim saying he suffered depression and anxiety over the way he was treated in the wake of the incident.

Let's see if we can get the big baby thug some more taxpayer cash.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6399123085_c7efc85cf7_b.jpg

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2013-10-24/hold-still

fr33
10-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Just following orders. Officers like him (over 90% of police) will do anything then worry about the consequences later.