PDA

View Full Version : 49% of Americans Get Gov’t Benefits

green73
10-23-2013, 03:33 PM
n the fourth quarter of 2011, 49.2 percent of Americans received benefits from one or more government programs, according to data released Tuesday by the Census Bureau.

In total, the Census Bureau estimated, 151,014,000 Americans out of a population then estimated to be 306,804,000 received benefits from one or more government programs during the last three months of 2011. Those 151,014,000 beneficiaries equaled 49.2 percent of the population.

This included 82,457,000 people--or 26.9 percent of the population--who lived in households in which one or more people received Medicaid benefits.

Also among the 151,014,000 who received benefits from one or more government programs during that period: 49,901,000 who collected Social Security; 49,073,000 who got food stamps; 46,440,000 on Medicare; 23,228,000 in the Women, Infants and Children program, 20,223,000 getting Supplemental Security Income; and 13,433,000 who lived in public or subsidized rental housing.

When Obamacare is fully implemented on Jan. 1, 2014, Americans earning up to 400 percent of the poverty level will qualify for a federal subsidy to buy health insurance.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/census-49-americans-get-gov-t-benefits-82m-households-medicaid

Cutlerzzz
10-23-2013, 03:37 PM
"The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else."

Zippyjuan
10-23-2013, 03:59 PM
That survey included a lot of things like a school lunch. If a kid got a subidised school lunch, all the members of the family were counted as receiving government benefits so it does exaggerate the figure. Grannie lives with you and is on Social Security? Again, entire family counted as getting benefits. Junior got a government student loan? Everybody on benefits.

This included 82,457,000 people--or 26.9 percent of the population--who lived in households in which one or more people received Medicaid benefits.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/09/18/who-receives-benefits-from-the-federal-government-in-six-charts/

In 2011, about 49 percent of the population lived in a household where at least one member received a direct benefit from the federal government. A big chunk of these households are retirees. And about 27 percent households benefited from a means-tested poverty program. A quick breakdown:

--Last year, about 29 percent of households received Medicare benefits and 31.6 percent received Social Security. (Obviously there's a lot of overlap between those two, since those programs mainly benefit retirees.)

--Meanwhile, about 32 million households, or 27.1 percent, benefited from at least one means-tested poverty program. The biggest benefits here were Medicaid (19.5 percent), food stamps (12.7 percent) and subsidized lunches (11.2 percent). Again, there's some overlap.

--Smaller benefits include public housing (5 percent of households), unemployment (4 percent), and veterans' compensation (2.6 percent). Only 7 percent of households receive some sort of direct cash assistance, such as the TANF welfare program.

dannno
10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
That survey included a lot of things like a school lunch. If a kid got a subidised school lunch, all the members of the family were counted as receiving government benefits so it does exaggerate the figure. Grannie lives with you and is on Social Security? Again, entire family counted as getting benefits. Junior got a government student loan? Everybody on benefits.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/09/18/who-receives-benefits-from-the-federal-government-in-six-charts/

Fun
gi
ble

tod evans
10-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Buying votes is all it is.

heavenlyboy34
10-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Buying votes is all it is.
And it's been working for over a century. America, fuck yeah!

Anti Federalist
10-23-2013, 06:05 PM
The real one percent that matters.

Carlybee
10-23-2013, 08:25 PM
We better figure out a way to be a producing country again and soon.

Keith and stuff
10-23-2013, 08:32 PM

In this particular case, I appreciate your skepticism. +Rep

Nevermind, my bad.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Zippyjuan again.

kcchiefs6465
10-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Well 17% of the job force are government jobs.

That of course doesn't include the subsidized in the media industry, energy industry, farming industry, military industry; of which the military welfarists account for quite a few tens of billions alone, I could only imagine the rest.

Now you calculate the sixth of the population receiving SNAP benefits, the millions receiving Medicaid etc. -- 49% isn't that far off.

oyarde
10-23-2013, 11:40 PM

That of course doesn't include the subsidized in the media industry, energy industry, farming industry, military industry; of which the military welfarists account for quite a few tens of billions alone, I could only imagine the rest.

Now you calculate the sixth of the population receiving SNAP benefits, the millions receiving Medicaid etc. -- 49% isn't that far off.

6 in ten work , only half of those pay Fed tax, so yeah 50 % would be about correct....

heavenlyboy34
10-23-2013, 11:52 PM

Wonder when Atlas will Shrug...

DamianTV
10-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Govt sees this figure differently

They believe if you've ever used ANY Public Service, even a STREET or a ROAD, then they have 100% of Americans dependant on Govt Benefits. I swear 100% is their goal.

FindLiberty
10-24-2013, 03:30 AM
49% of Americans Get Gov’t Benefits It's hopeless... Just say no ain't gonna' cut it. It will have to get scraped up off of the bottom in order to try again, this time with stronger constitutional chains.

DamianTV
10-24-2013, 03:45 AM
Wonder when Atlas will Shrug...

I shrugged a long time ago when I flat out quit the US Military. They called it 'firing'. I called it 'fuck you, I quit'. They said I cant quit. Then I gave em a reason to get rid of me. During that brief stint, it was quite obvious to me that there was something seriously "wrong" with the way that these people were thinking. It wasnt until a bit later that I really started to understand the true nature of the Abuse of Power and just how deep the Rabbit Hole went.

How many American Workers have already Shrugged? I know damn well that many do not try to achieve their fullest potential because they have no incentive to when they are paid the lowest wage possible. I call that "Shrugging".

Lindsey
10-24-2013, 03:55 AM
Maybe we all should just give in and go collect our "free" services.

tod evans
10-24-2013, 04:04 AM
Maybe we all should just give in and go collect our "free" services.

Not I, thanks anyway.

Lindsey
10-24-2013, 04:08 AM
Not I, thanks anyway.

I'd like to see the system overwhelmed and crumble.

I'd like to be able to spend the money stolen from my check to buy my own food, and not someone else's.

tod evans
10-24-2013, 04:22 AM
I'd like to see the system overwhelmed and crumble.

I'd like to be able to spend the money stolen from my check to buy my own food, and not someone else's.

The sooner you quit working "for a check" the sooner you'll get control of your money.

Everybody who makes the decision to work for someone else, be it an individual or a corporation, agrees to fork over a substantial portion of their alleged wages.

The only way to mitigate tax damage is to be self employed.

This notion set forth that monies taken from paychecks was actually yours to begin with is novel, whether or not you want to look at it like this is up to you; your "salary" working for XYZ corp. is the amount of FRN's in your hand not some arbitrary number on a check stub.

Lindsey
10-24-2013, 04:40 AM
The sooner you quit working "for a check" the sooner you'll get control of your money.

Everybody who makes the decision to work for someone else, be it an individual or a corporation, agrees to fork over a substantial portion of their alleged wages.

The only way to mitigate tax damage is to be self employed.

This notion set forth that monies taken from paychecks was actually yours to begin with is novel, whether or not you want to look at it like this is up to you; your "salary" working for XYZ corp. is the amount of FRN's in your hand not some arbitrary number on a check stub.

I've been in both situations. Employee of someone else or self-employed the government still steals your money. (Both directly and indirectly [inflation tax])