PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Paper Endorses 'None of the Above' for Governor

tangent4ronpaul
10-22-2013, 11:16 PM
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/10/virginia-paper-endorses-none-above-governor/70729/

The Virginia gubernatorial race has been, well, a bit awful this year. So awful, in fact that the Richmond Times-Dispatch went ahead and endorsed nobody for governor, for "the first time in modern Virginia." That snub will probably hit Republican candidate Ken Cuccinelli the hardest: The Times-Dispatch's editorial board leans Republican with its endorsements. But it's not exactly a victory for Democrat Terry McAuliffe or Libertarian Robert Sarvis, either.

Attorney General Cuccinelli, a conservative who is basically campaigning on a Religious Right, anti-gay platform, gets the harshest criticism from the paper:

Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli rigged the process for the Republican nomination when his minions changed the system from a primary to a convention, which they considered more likely to produce their desired outcome. The switch mocked Cuccinelli’s advertised fealty to first principles. The expression of raw power would have delighted sachems of Tammany Hall. Virginia does not welcome an in-your-face governor.

The editorial board goes on to refer to his stances on abortion and homosexuality as "objectionable." Even though the board has previously supported bans on late-term abortions (they characterize their stance as against abortion "for any reason at any time"), the paper writes, "we remain troubled by Cuccinelli’s approach to personhood and to regulations on clinics." So, Cuccinelli, who is campaigning on a platform designed to attract social conservatives, can't even win the endorsement of a paper who is on his side of the line in the sand. The paper also dismisses his anti-gay views tersely: "Cuccinelli’s hostility to marriage equality offends. The rights applying to human beings by definition apply to homosexuals."

The Republican is currently behind in the polls, and only falling further back thanks in part to the fall-out from the government shutdown, as he admitted earlier this month. Cuccinelli's campaign was hampered early on by his connections to a donor mired in a scandal plaguing the current Virginia Governor, Bob McDonnell. The Dispatch, while writing that he has "considerable merit in the libertarian ethos," dismisses Sarvis, the other conservative-leaning candidate for governor, as way too inexperienced for the job.

Moving on to McAuliffe, the paper believes the Democratic candidate isn't a compelling choice either: he's the "default" nomination for the party. The Times-Dispatch blames his ascension to the nomination in part on "Republican gerrymandering" after the 2010 census, which cost Ward Armstrong, the Democrats' floor leader in the Virginia House, his seat:

If Armstrong had not lost his seat, he would have rated as a formidable candidate for governor. The Times-Dispatch would have endorsed him over Cuccinelli; we would have endorsed Republican Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling over McAuliffe.

McAuliffe, it should be noted, isn't hurting for endorsements: Hillary Clinton threw her weight behind the candidate this week. He also has the endorsement of the Washington Post. But the Post's endorsement wasn't exactly a rousing one. "Staying home on Election Day is irresponsible," the editorial board argues, adding that Cuccinelli governorship would cause the commonwealth to "veer off into an ideological adventure." Which is a gentle way of reminding readers that Cuccinelli has spent considerable time on the trail defending the state's anti-sodomy laws, while McAuliffe, at least, hasn't.

Want to add to this story? Let us know in comments or send an email to the author at aohlheiser@theatlantic.com. You can share ideas for stories on the Open Wire.

-t

FrankRep
10-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Ron Paul endorses Ken Cuccinelli in Virginia race (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/11/ron-paul-endorses-cuccinelli-in-virginia-race/)

CNN
10/12/2013

erowe1
10-23-2013, 07:31 AM
It would be great if we could get "none of the above" on a real ballot somewhere. Do any states have laws that would make that possible?

fisharmor
10-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Ron Paul endorses Ken Cuccinelli in Virginia race (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/11/ron-paul-endorses-cuccinelli-in-virginia-race/)

CNN
10/12/2013

Would you people please knock this the fuck off?

It's bad enough when Mad Cow did it but at least he lives here. I personally don't care a whit what Texans think about our governor race.

Significant numbers of you seem to think that this whole awakening we went through 6 years ago was nothing more than finding the right guy to tell us what to think.
I'm sure that it makes you all happy that you think you have the right guy telling you what to do. Some of us, however, learned a different lesson.

Icymudpuppy
10-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Would you people please knock this the fuck off?

It's bad enough when Mad Cow did it but at least he lives here. I personally don't care a whit what Texans think about our governor race.

Significant numbers of you seem to think that this whole awakening we went through 6 years ago was nothing more than finding the right guy to tell us what to think.
I'm sure that it makes you all happy that you think you have the right guy telling you what to do. Some of us, however, learned a different lesson.

Exactly. I think a lot of people here are like those who wanted George Washington to be "King of America".

CPUd
10-23-2013, 08:07 AM
http://i.imgur.com/J3i2Lbi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4v46Ybr.jpg

RonPaulFanInGA
10-23-2013, 08:10 AM
It would be great if we could get "none of the above" on a real ballot somewhere. Do any states have laws that would make that possible?

Nevada. It never gets any real percentage though. If there ever was a time for it to, it was Reid-Angle in 2010, but it didn't.

cajuncocoa
10-23-2013, 08:13 AM

CNN
10/12/2013this is why people think we're a cult :rolleyes:

erowe1
10-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Nevada. It never gets any real percentage though. If there ever a time for it to, it was Reid-Angle in 2010, but it didn't.

We ought to make a big campaign out of it. There's untapped potential there.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Texans, like the other 48 non-VA states, are probably thinking: "holy crap, Virginia is about to make a Clinton crook like McAuliffe its Governor, and by a wide margin to boot!"

FrankRep
10-23-2013, 08:23 AM
this is why people think we're a cult :rolleyes:

Yet you're posting on Ron Paul Forums.

cajuncocoa
10-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Yet you're posting on Ron Paul Forums.
Yes, I support Dr. Paul....but I won't blindly follow him if he jumps off of a cliff. Get it?

RonPaulFanInGA
10-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Yes, I support Dr. Paul....but I won't blindly follow him if he jumps off of a cliff. Get it?

Cuccinelli over McAuliffe and some single-digit Libertarian candidate is hardly a "cliff".

ronpaulfollower999
10-23-2013, 08:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/J3i2Lbi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4v46Ybr.jpg

Richard Pryor was awesome.

Matt Collins
10-23-2013, 08:35 AM
This sort of thing needs to happen more often

cajuncocoa
10-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Cuccinelli over McAuliffe and some single-digit Libertarian candidate is hardly a "cliff".

I would vote for Sarvis in a heartbeat.

Occam's Banana
10-23-2013, 09:30 AM
I endorse this endorsement.

fisharmor
10-23-2013, 09:45 AM
I would vote for Sarvis in a heartbeat.

I gotcha covered.
I read through his site a couple weeks ago and I was only disappointed by two things:
1) He's not a rabid anarchocapitalist
2) He's silent on abortion.

That's a lot fewer minuses than Cooch has right now.

lib3rtarian
10-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Perhaps Cuccinelli's crushing defeat will be a stark reminder to the bible-thumping frothing-at-the-mouth Christian Taliban crazies that there is not enough of those hate-filled mofos obsessing with abortion, gay marriage and sodomy day and night, to win statewide elections outside of gerrymandered red districts.

FSP-Rebel
10-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Perhaps Cuccinelli's crushing defeat will be a stark reminder to the bible-thumping frothing-at-the-mouth Christian Taliban crazies that there is not enough of those hate-filled mofos obsessing with abortion, gay marriage and sodomy day and night, to win statewide elections outside of gerrymandered red districts.
I doubt many of these religious issue-oriented fanatics will learn a lesson from anything outside of their own little world. If they actually thought things through, they could actually position their beliefs in such a way that they don't impinge on those of others. Yet, they're apparently bothered by blow jobs and gay folk which don't affect them in the slightest. Mind you, I'm not in VA so I don't know the chatter on the abortion situation but I am aware that the left is using Hollywood and Bloomberg money to paint them as shutting off contraceptives to women which is a gun to the head even if it's not the case. The lefties are sneaky and these rabid religious fanatics are usually too old school to survive the gamut. The tragic thing is McAuliffe as governor and the disasters that will ensue under his regime. This is such a cluster of an election that even if the LP guy weren't in it, Cooch still could lose big if a last minute rally doesn't help. I would've definitely went for the guy that helped litigate against Ocare in the SCOTUS over one of the Clinton crime syndicate allies in a heart beat. I just hope that ridiculous gun restrictions don't start to have life in VA.

Matt Collins
10-23-2013, 11:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P34SUDahiA0

r123
10-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Here’s Your Chance to Help a Real Pro-gunner Win in a Purple State -- And to ultimately keep a strident anti-gunner out of the U.S. Senate: http://gunowners.org/alert10082013.htm

Christian Liberty
10-23-2013, 12:15 PM
I gotcha covered.
I read through his site a couple weeks ago and I was only disappointed by two things:
1) He's not a rabid anarchocapitalist
2) He's silent on abortion.

That's a lot fewer minuses than Cooch has right now.

With regards to #1, what does he believe instead? Is he a solid minarchist? Close to being a solid minarchist? A Gary Johnson type candidate? Something else?

2. With regards to abortion, what do you think he should have said? Would you take a pro-life or a pro-choice stance, or something that doesn't fit clearly in the two?

That isn't Cajun's point. Her point is just, she supports Ron Paul, but she disagrees with him on this one particular. Why is this so hard to understand? I don't agree with Ron either after hearing Gunny explain the problem with Cuccineli.

lib3rtarian
10-23-2013, 12:44 PM
I doubt many of these religious issue-oriented fanatics will learn a lesson from anything outside of their own little world. If they actually thought things through, they could actually position their beliefs in such a way that they don't impinge on those of others. Yet, they're apparently bothered by blow jobs and gay folk which don't affect them in the slightest. Mind you, I'm not in VA so I don't know the chatter on the abortion situation but I am aware that the left is using Hollywood and Bloomberg money to paint them as shutting off contraceptives to women which is a gun to the head even if it's not the case. The lefties are sneaky and these rabid religious fanatics are usually too old school to survive the gamut. The tragic thing is McAuliffe as governor and the disasters that will ensue under his regime. This is such a cluster of an election that even if the LP guy weren't in it, Cooch still could lose big if a last minute rally doesn't help. I would've definitely went for the guy that helped litigate against Ocare in the SCOTUS over one of the Clinton crime syndicate allies in a heart beat. I just hope that ridiculous gun restrictions don't start to have life in VA.

Cuccinelli deserves a resounding defeat. No one should be able to ascend to the highest post in a state, while harboring perverse fantasies about interfering in the personal lives of others. I don't care if he is Obamacare's arch-nemesis or if he is going to wipe out the state income tax or whatever other heroic thing he claims to do. Being pro-gun doesn't give one the right to decide family-planning for women other than one's own wife.

Snew
10-23-2013, 12:56 PM
best endorsement ever...

and, to me, Cuccinelli is a bit of a clown, no matter what Ron thinks. sorry FrankRep.

FrankRep
10-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Ron Paul Endorsement Of Ken Cuccinelli May Stop Spoiler Robert Sarvis
http://www.redstate.com/freedomrepublican/2013/10/11/ron-paul-endorsement-of-ken-cuccinelli-may-stop-spoiler-robert-sarvis/

Red State
Oct. 11, 2013

RonPaulFanInGA
10-23-2013, 01:01 PM

I like how this post calls others "hate-filled" and "frothing-at-the-mouth".

Also, there is no such thing as a gerrymandered statewide election. And I wouldn't call losing by single digits (Cuccinelli is down by seven in a poll just released today by Quinnipiac) "crushing" either.

VBRonPaulFan
10-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Ron Paul Endorsement Of Ken Cuccinelli May Stop Spoiler Robert Sarvis
http://www.redstate.com/freedomrepublican/2013/10/11/ron-paul-endorsement-of-ken-cuccinelli-may-stop-spoiler-robert-sarvis/

Red State
Oct. 11, 2013

Sarvis isn't getting much traction here, regardless of what you hear on the internet. His stops usually are low turnout and he isn't getting his name out nearly enough. I think he'll end up under performing pretty badly come voting day, as people will switch to vote Cooch at the last minute because they won't want Terry to win, or they'll end up voting Terry as the D machine is starting to throw a ton of money out in mailings (i've gotten about 5 anti-cooch pamphlets in just the last week alone).

Kind of a shame since I think he's a far superior candidate to Cooch.