PDA

View Full Version : Friends in the Liberty movement that just don't get it?

Icymudpuppy
10-22-2013, 08:26 AM
So, I have a friend whom I met through the Ron Paul campaign locally. This person has attended Libertarian Party meetings, RLC Meetings, Tea Party Meetings, Freedom Foundation seminars, etc.

And yet, today on his Facebook, I find this Gem...

I believe a law should be passed saying people can't be fired/expelled/discharged etc. for doing something on their own time which is legal. Conversely if something is illegal for a citizen to do in their off hours it should be illegal for a politician or police officer to do on the job.

WHAT!!!!!

I immediately responded...

I oppose all government interference in private party agreements. Employment.is a private agreement between employer and employee. The employer can set conditions of employment including off-duty conduct. Employees can find a different employer if they don't like the conditions. Free market liberty. Keep the Government coercion out of it.

I think too many who call themselves Liberty people are really just waiting for their turn to be the petty tyrants using the Liberty movement as the vehicle to get there...!

fisharmor
10-22-2013, 08:29 AM
You should follow up that it doesn't even have to be illegal.

A Baptist congregation should absolutely fire its bachelor pastor if he's found to be sleeping around.

TonySutton
10-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Some people crawl to freedom. Just keep nudging him and hopefully he will find his way

Icymudpuppy
10-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Some people crawl to freedom. Just keep nudging him and hopefully he will find his way

Are you familiar with Initiative 522 in WA?

It is championed by many in the so-called Liberty movement. While I can agree with their goal of limiting GMOs, their method is to use the force of government to coerce businesses into labelling, rather than setting up a voluntary "GMO FREE" certification.

specsaregood
10-22-2013, 08:44 AM
I think too many who call themselves Liberty people are really just waiting for their turn to be the petty tyrants using the Liberty movement as the vehicle to get there...!

Such seems to be human nature.

FindLiberty
10-22-2013, 08:44 AM
lol, Keep a sharp eye out...
Libertarian Party meetings, RLC Meetings, Tea Party Meetings, Freedom Foundation seminars must all adopt rules to keep those kinds of people out and also bar them people like that from attending or commenting on web forums.

Well, maybe people like that can pick up a clue or two from people like you so MAYBE they can come around to support the free market and not seek or support gubermint coercion. Hitler probably started off as a petty tyrant and the Liberty movement is not going to easy to fool... Wait,,, Bob Barr was just a fluke candidate choice, right???

roho76
10-22-2013, 08:46 AM
So, I have a friend whom I met through the Ron Paul campaign locally. This person has attended Libertarian Party meetings, RLC Meetings, Tea Party Meetings, Freedom Foundation seminars, etc.

And yet, today on his Facebook, I find this Gem...

WHAT!!!!!

I immediately responded...

Isn't this ultimately the real problem with government. Only a small percentage of the population are Ron Paul types who don't want to run your life. Take Clinton's for example, they used to be peace loving hippies who hated war and the murder of innocent civilians. Now, not so much. In fact it after the whole Syria thing, it seems as though they lust for it. What happened? Nothing. The majority are nothing but petty, vindictive, vicious, sycopaths, he'll bent on pushing their agenda. This is why small government will never work but for a small time. Anarchy exists, with or without government. The government just makes it more dangerous to be in a natural state of anarchy.

Christian Liberty
10-22-2013, 09:20 AM
You should follow up that it doesn't even have to be illegal.

A Baptist congregation should absolutely fire its bachelor pastor if he's found to be sleeping around.

Yep.

jkr
10-22-2013, 09:34 AM
so "employers" can become the Spanish inquisition and thats ok?
our business is conducted when i am on your clock

outside of that
GO FUCK YOURSELF

unless, of course, you want me combing through YOUR life you extreamist terrorist women hating gay bashing negro enslaving homeschooling hippy beer drinking teetotaler holier than though assholes!

freedom my ass...

July
10-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Well I can see where he's coming from, in principle, because I personally wouldn't want to work for a company that spied on me 24/7 off the clock, or held my job over my head for arbitrary reasons, any more than I would want the government doing so. If a company expects a certain ethics policy or code of behavior, they should so state as part of the terms of employment you agree to. That said, government shouldn't make a law; people have a right to voluntarily agree or not agree to want they wish, and hire who they want.

I think maybe your friend doesn't see the distinction between law and morality. The reason for firing might be right or wrong, depending on the situation, which might make the boss a jerk, and if a person thinks their employer acted in a way that violated the terms of an employment contract, they should be able to take it to arbitration, just like any other contract, IMO. But who is the central gov to judge?

roho76
10-22-2013, 10:46 AM
The point is that you don't have to work for a company that has these types of rules. And if you voluntarily do work for them then you cannot bitch about them. Isn't this what this is ultimately about? People need to stop the knee jerk reaction of defaulting to government solutions and learn instead how to communicate with one another to work out solutions. If a company employs Nazi style surveillance on it's employees it's going to be costly, unproductive, and you will drive your employees away, destroying your company and the means to pay for such surveillance. That's not to say that companies are not going to engage in these practices. It just boils down to how much THE INDIVIDUAL is willing to take. Companies, more times than not, will go out of business.

I see a law banning these types of practices as an attack on my right to work for an employer who watches my every move. Maybe I'm a pervert and get off on it? Isn't that my right?

Cleaner44
10-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Different people understand liberty in different degrees. It is a learning process. Your friend needs your help to understand how this probably goes against his own understanding of liberty. Help him think it through and see why asking for such a law is anti-liberty. Help him see how this grows the government, instead of limits the government. Show him how this is the same as liberals asking the government to create a nanny state. This is an opportunity to help your friend gain a deeper knowledge. Isn't that what Ron Paul did for you? He certainly did for me.

Thank you Ron Paul.