PDA

View Full Version : Ken Cuccinelli doesn't do so well on Campaign for Liberty questionnaire

Matt Collins
10-21-2013, 10:14 PM
He'd still be better than the Democrat, no doubt, but I was shocked at some of his answers:

https://www.campaignforliberty.org/surveys/virginia-statewide-candidate-survey-results/ (https://www.campaignforliberty.org/surveys/virginia-statewide-candidate-survey-results/)

TaftFan
10-21-2013, 10:31 PM
How do candidates respond? Simple yes/no or written responses?

Okaloosa
10-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Your opinion should not be the headline regarding only one question. Because he says no to switching from concealed carry permit to concealed carry for anyone is a stretch. His opponent if elected will push for gun control no questions asked.

phill4paul
10-21-2013, 10:50 PM
A.G. That is automatically a disqualifier in my book. Sorry.

Bastiat's The Law
10-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Did he not answer one question?

trey4sports
10-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Did he not answer one question?

looks like it. Probably didnt want to be backed into a corner.

Matt Collins
10-22-2013, 07:25 AM
How do candidates respond? Simple yes/no or written responses?Correct, they are only given a yes or no option on each question.

Matt Collins
10-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Your opinion should not be the headline regarding only one question. Two questions actually, and it's not my opinion. Getting 2 out of 7 questions wrong equals 72%. :(

Cap
10-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks for posting Matt.

Matt Collins
10-22-2013, 07:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P34SUDahiA0

cajuncocoa
10-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Not surprised. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?425815-LP-Candidate-acting-as-spoiler-versus-a-Ron-Paul-endorsed-candidate&p=5202467&viewfull=1#post5202467)

fisharmor
10-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Your opinion should not be the headline regarding only one question. Because he says no to switching from concealed carry permit to concealed carry for anyone is a stretch. His opponent if elected will push for gun control no questions asked.

His opponent? Singular?

Cooch actively keeps Robert Sarvis out of the debates (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-gov-race-debate-sponsor-asks-whether-libertarian-sarvis-can-be-included-after-all/2013/10/19/48e06310-38fa-11e3-8a0e-4e2cf80831fc_story.html)

Cooch is more afraid of actual libertarians than the democrats.
I submit that this is because he is representing himself as something he is not.
If he really had the liberty cred, he wouldn't be afraid of letting Sarvis into debates.

compromise
10-22-2013, 08:22 AM
This isn't the same Matt Collins I remember from 2012. Collins clearly has some personal beef going on with Cuccinelli, hence his constant anti-Cuccinelli propaganda. I bet Cooch snubbed him at an event or something.

fisharmor
10-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Anti-conservative radical anarchist Libertarian Party supporter Matt Collins

Hey there, don't go lumping Collins in with us.
I'm not supporting Cuccinelli - and the reason is because Cooch is a conniving shitbag.
I really don't care what Cuccinelli's ulterior motive is now, because he's married to the game. That means at some point the game is going to dictate that he turn on us. That means he will.

compromise
10-22-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm not supporting Cuccinelli - and the reason is because Cooch is a conniving shitbag.
I really don't care what Cuccinelli's ulterior motive is now, because he's married to the game. That means at some point the game is going to dictate that he turn on us. That means he will.

Maybe that was an exaggeration, so I've removed it. But Collins has changed for the worse from the perspective of the pro-Republicans on here.

muzzled dogg
10-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Haha

Cap
10-22-2013, 08:34 AM
I really don't care what Cuccinelli's ulterior motive is now, because he's married to the game. That means at some point the game is going to dictate that he turn on us. That means he will.Pretty well sums it up properly.

Matt Collins
10-22-2013, 09:03 AM
This isn't the same Matt Collins I remember from 2012. :confused: huh?

Collins clearly has some personal beef going on with Cuccinelli, hence his constant anti-Cuccinelli propaganda. I bet Cooch snubbed him at an event or something.huh? no, not at all. :rolleyes:

erowe1
10-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Two questions actually, and it's not my opinion. Getting 2 out of 7 questions wrong equals 72%. :(

When I clicked the link I expected worse. Given what the questions are that all those Y's answer, 72% isn't bad.

And the questions are all pretty specific. He doesn't have a chance to say what he does support for each of these issues, he's given a prewritten solution he has to either be for or not.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of these kind of questionnaires in general. He probably should have just not answered it at all.

Matt Collins
10-22-2013, 09:12 AM
When I clicked the link I expected worse. Given what the questions are that all those Y's answer, 72% isn't bad.

And the questions are all pretty specific. He doesn't have a chance to say what he does support for each of these issues, he's given a prewritten solution he has to either be for or not.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of these kind of questionnaires in general. He probably should have just not answered it at all.
The idea is to get all politicians (candidates) on record without any wiggle room. That way it makes it easier to stop them from getting elected if they answer wrong, or not at all. And further more, it makes it easier to unseat them if they break their word once elected because you have written proof of their flip-flopping.

Bastiat's The Law
10-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Cooch's campaign is fast becoming a case study on "How not to run as a liberty candidate".

erowe1
10-22-2013, 09:47 AM
The idea is to get all politicians (candidates) on record without any wiggle room.

To me that's a reason not to answer it.

fisharmor
10-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Yeah, another reason I've been spoiled on politicians. Too many times now I've watched an old, stuttering, unkempt man straighten up his spine, plant his feet, and state unequivocally what his position is and refuse to back down from it.

Watching slick, well-dressed, articulate men weasel out of questions is grating to me at this point.

Matt Collins
10-22-2013, 10:17 AM
To candidates who don't answer the questions, it just goes to show their true colors: they refuse to take a stand (notice almost every other candidate in VA, including his opponent, falls into this category).

mad cow
10-22-2013, 10:31 AM
How did Terry McAuliffe do on your questionnaire Matt?You do realize that either he or Cooch are going to be the next Governor of Virginia,right?

Anyhow,the Founder of Campaign For Liberty,one Ron Paul,emailed me recently asking that I donate to Ken's campaign and I was happy to oblige.

Keith and stuff
10-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Anyhow,the Founder of Campaign For Liberty,one Ron Paul,emailed me recently asking that I donate to Ken's campaign and I was happy to oblige.

That's awesome and sounds exactly like something Matt would say. Matt gets so many personal emails from politicians. Of course, we get the same so called personal emails. :toady:

erowe1
10-22-2013, 10:45 AM
To candidates who don't answer the questions, it just goes to show their true colors: they refuse to take a stand.

They refuse to take a specifically worded stand that somebody else wrote for them. I probably would too. I kind of admire those who have the guts to refuse to answer these out of principle and take the hits that go with that.

These questionnaires exist for the sake of the influence of the group that puts them out. They're not for giving voters and supporters helpful information about the candidates. Remember what the NRA did to Amash about their questionnaire.

Todd
10-22-2013, 10:47 AM
To candidates who don't answer the questions, it just goes to show their true colors: they refuse to take a stand.

Why did Ron Paul endorse him. Just wondering?

mad cow
10-22-2013, 10:49 AM
That's awesome and sounds exactly like something Matt would say. Matt gets so many personal emails from politicians. Of course, we get the same so called personal emails. :toady:

Hay,some take political advice from Matt Collins and some take it from Ron Paul.You are free to take it wherever you want.

erowe1
10-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah, another reason I've been spoiled on politicians. Too many times now I've watched an old, stuttering, unkempt man straighten up his spine, plant his feet, and state unequivocally what his position is and refuse to back down from it.

Watching slick, well-dressed, articulate men weasel out of questions is grating to me at this point.

Those slicksters do great on these questionnaires. I've seen plenty of frauds get 100% on these CFL ones (especially among those who stand little chance of winning the election, and know that if by a stroke of amazing luck the day comes that they ever have to actually keep their promise, it won't matter since they'd already have surpassed their wildest dreams and gotten elected), beating out better, more liberty-oriented candidates who weren't willing to make promises they didn't know if they'd keep.

Matt Collins
10-22-2013, 10:58 AM
How did Terry McAuliffe do on your questionnaire Matt?You do realize that either he or Cooch are going to be the next Governor of Virginia,right?There is no doubt Ken would be better than Terry as Governor, that's not even a question.

Brian4Liberty
10-22-2013, 11:02 AM
5. Will you support legislation that would allow TSA agents to be charged with sexual assault if they use invasive “pat-down” procedures?

That's a tricky question. Best broke into two questions:

- Do we need a government TSA department physically screening people? No.

But when it comes down to "invasive pat-down procedures", they should not be standard procedure for every passenger, but if there is a case where there are concerns, whether it is private or government screening, a pat-down may be required.

fisharmor
10-22-2013, 11:13 AM
How did Terry McAuliffe do on your questionnaire Matt?You do realize that either he or Cooch are going to be the next Governor of Virginia,right?

Read the article I posted. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/va-gov-race-debate-sponsor-asks-whether-libertarian-sarvis-can-be-included-after-all/2013/10/19/48e06310-38fa-11e3-8a0e-4e2cf80831fc_story.html)

The sponsor of the final debate of the Virginia governor’s race (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/the-race-for-virginia-governor/5366fe7a-b2ae-11e2-baf7-5bc2a9dc6f44_topic.html), citing a public backlash to the Libertarian candidate’s exclusion, has asked the major-party candidates to consider letting him participate. But Robert Sarvis still appears unlikely to be included in the event because of ongoing opposition from Ken Cuccinelli II’s campaign.
The rules required (http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-10-08/local/42827192_1_last-debate-sarvis-math) that Sarvis average at least 10 percent in public polls, a standard he missed by a fraction of a point. (As of Saturday evening, Sarvis’s poll average (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2013/governor/va/virginia_governor_cuccinelli_vs_mcauliffe_vs_sarvi s-4111.html#polls) on the RealClearPolitics Web site was 9.8 percent.)

“WDBJ7 will live up to the agreement we have with both of your campaigns,” Zuber continued, “but want you to know we would certainly entertain an amendment to the agreement allowing Mr. Sarvis to participate with no restrictions. Our organization is dedicated to providing as much information to the voters as possible.”

0.2 percent is what Sarvis missed the polling numbers by - and the TV station's news director personally appealed to the candidates to let him in.

And guess who put his foot down?

This is wrong on a bunch of different levels.
But it's just plain stupid politically.

So close to 10% of the conservative-leaning Virginia electorate supports Sarvis, and Cooch is not only going to pretend he doesn't exist, he's going to actively kick them in the nuts?
How is that even remotely a good idea? Not only does it alienate close to double-digits of voters, but it makes Cooch seem like a complete phony who isn't willing to defend his idea of what liberty is.

I already called it: he's playing a game.

Some of us - to the tune of close to 10% - are sick and tired of that game.
And if we have to put up with another Democrat governor to get our point across, well, let's just say we're not really that scared of him.

compromise
10-22-2013, 11:19 AM
There is no doubt Ken would be better than Terry as Governor, that's not even a question.

Then why don't you spread anti-McAuliffe stuff on here instead of the anti-Cooch propaganda?

Todd
10-22-2013, 11:19 AM
There is no doubt Ken would be better than Terry as Governor, that's not even a question.

Here's what I know about Cuc. He was instrumental in the Va House for getting Real I.D. killed. He was the first AG to attack Obamacare.

Matt Collins
10-22-2013, 11:38 AM
anti-Cooch propaganda?I haven't spread any propaganda, and nothing anti-ken. I don't have a dog in the race and have even said that it would be better for him to be VA Governor than the Democrat. However, if people don't like how he answers questions, that between him and them.

Okaloosa
10-22-2013, 06:20 PM
I haven't spread any propaganda, and nothing anti-ken. I don't have a dog in the race and have even said that it would be better for him to be VA Governor than the Democrat. However, if people don't like how he answers questions, that between him and them.

Did you read your subjective headline of "doesn't do so well"? That one question was ridiculous by the way, having open carry and a permit for concealed carry is reasonable on Ken's part.

I live in Virginia and will have to live with the results. When Terry works round the clock to hand Virginia to the democrat maybe people will wish we had a Ron and Rand Paul endorsed candidate as Governor.

Keith and stuff
10-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Did you read your subjective headline of "doesn't do so well"? That one question was ridiculous by the way, having open carry and a permit for concealed carry is reasonable on Ken's part.

Since Ken is campaigning on stronger gun control, I'm not at all surprised that he is against Constitutional Carry light.

I agree with you, in relation to the thread title. Perhaps a better thread title would be "Ken Cuccinelli is the only VA candidate for governor to respond to Campaign for Liberty questionnaire."

Matt Collins
10-22-2013, 07:14 PM
That one question was ridiculous by the way, having open carry and a permit for concealed carry is reasonable on Ken's part. So you believe that you have to ask permission from the government to exercise your natural / God-given right to self-defense? :rolleyes:

Keith and stuff
10-22-2013, 07:24 PM
So you believe that you have to ask permission from the government to exercise your natural / God-given right to self-defense? :rolleyes:
It's pretty hard to get a CCW in VA. First of all, you have to be 21, which eliminates millions of people. It takes up to 45 days and costs a whooping $50! The application is 4 freaking pages long! http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads/SP-248_Application_for_Concealed_Handgun_Permit_Rev_7-1-2013.pdf

So yeah, you make a very good point. Ken is pushing for more gun control in VA. It's OK though because he is good on a bunch of other issues.

Working Poor
10-22-2013, 07:30 PM
I am not sure it is a good thing that Santorum is campaigning for him...

mad cow
10-22-2013, 07:38 PM
So you believe that you have to ask permission from the government to exercise your natural / God-given right to self-defense? :rolleyes:

One month ago Democrat Terry McAuliffe, who is running for governor in Virginia, met with NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg. It turns out that meeting paid off. Bloomberg will dump $1.1 million in pro-gun control money into McAuliffe's campaign coffers.

The billionaire New York City mayor’s money will be siphoned through Independence USA PAC into broadcast television commercials in the D.C. market, according to two sources tracking the air war.

McAuliffe is a supporter of limiting magazine capacity, limited gun purchases to one per month per person, universal background checks and bans on sporting rifles.
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2013/10/22/michael-bloomberg-dumping-gun-control-money-into-virginia-governors-race-n1729772

You and Bloomberg support Cooch's opponent,I and Ron Paul support Cooch.

BTW,if you don't like that one,Bing Terry McAuliffe and gun control,there are another 91,400 to choose from.

To even suggest that Cuccinelli is the anti-gun candidate is a new low,even for you.

Keith and stuff
10-22-2013, 07:44 PM
To even suggest that Cuccinelli is the anti-gun candidate is a new low,even for you.
He certainly isn't the anti-gun candidate. I did listen to the 1st debate, though. He came out as in favor of tougher gun control in the debate. He sounded like Sen. Ayotte, actually. She is much better on gun issues than the average American, and I'm sure that Ken is too. He isn't bad on guns, just not good.

Ken is great on several issues. Guns just doesn't happen to be 1 of them.

mad cow
10-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Ken was endorsed by the NRA,GOA and The Virginia Civilian Defense League among others.
Maybe these people are all morons and Matt is right?

Matt Collins
10-22-2013, 07:58 PM
You and Bloomberg support Cooch's opponent,I and Ron Paul support Cooch....

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

mad cow
10-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Terry McAuliffe wants to take your guns!
Wednesday, 09 October 2013 15:21
Written by Gun Owners
Terry McAuliffe wants to take your guns!

-- Time to step up and support Ken Cuccinelli for governor

The race for Governor is coming down to the wire.

Whoever wins this race will probably spend the next several years representing the state of Virginia in elected politics.

Why? Well as you probably know, governors in the Old Dominion are limited to ONE TERM -- and this is why most of Virginia’s recent governors have ended up in the U.S. Senate.

For this reason (among others) the results of the Virginia Governor’s race next month should really concern you. In fact, it should concern you enough to consider doing EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO help Ken Cuccinelli win his race for governor.

Go here to volunteer and help Ken defeat a strident anti-gunner.

There couldn’t be a more stark difference between the two leading choices in this November’s governor race.

As we told you in previous alerts, Ken Cuccinelli has developed a long history of fighting for our gun rights.

He has been one of the premier leaders in this state who has pushed for the right to carry concealed … pushed to repeal gun bans … pushed to keep gun owners’ information private, and much more.

You can contribute to Ken’s campaign by going here.

But Ken is opposed by Democrat Terry McAuliffe -- the former chairman of the Democratic National Committee … the former co-chairman of President Bill Clinton's 1996 re-election campaign … and the former chairman of Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign.

McAuliffe is a liberal’s liberal. He is a far-Left gun-grabber who will be disastrous for this state if he is elevated to higher office.

And right now, this raging anti-gunner has a slight lead in the polls.

Amongst his many problematic views, McAuliffe:

* Wants to ban the private sales of firearms unless gun owners first go through a government background registration check.1

* Wants to shut down Internet “mail order” sales of firearms (and presumably, the advertisements for those firearms as well).2

* Wants to ban semi-automatic firearms he mistakenly calls “assault weapons.”3

* Wants to impose magazine size limits.4

* Wants to impose a one-gun-a-month limitation on every gun owner5, and much more.

McAuliffe has even sought support (and money!) from anti-gun mogel Michael Bloomberg, the founder of Mayors Against Illegal Guns.6 Yes, the same Michael Bloomberg who wants the whole nation to have gun laws just like New York.

Edit:Link
http://gunowners.org/state10092013.htm

I'll still take GOA,and Ron Paul for that matter over you,Matt.

Matt Collins
10-22-2013, 08:06 PM
I'll still take GOA,and Ron Paul for that matter over you,Matt.I haven't made any judgement statements about him other than he would be better than the Democrat.

But it's a fact that he doesn't support the full right to keep and bear arms, he even said so himself in the CFL survey.

fisharmor
10-22-2013, 08:11 PM

I just heard this shit tonight. It sure seems like he's tryin' real hard not to get my vote.

I'll still take GOA,and Ron Paul for that matter over you,Matt.

Cooch has run afoul of the vcdl before. His lame-assed excuse for over-zealous prosecution of gun crimes was that he was the ag and therefore he was supposed to. Totally ignored the fact that it was at his discretion.

Game player.

cajuncocoa
10-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Cooch's campaign is fast becoming a case study on "How not to run as a liberty candidate".

Maybe that's because he's NOT a liberty candidate.

mad cow
10-22-2013, 08:24 PM
I just heard this shit tonight. It sure seems like he's tryin' real hard not to get my vote.

Cooch has run afoul of the vcdl before. His lame-assed excuse for over-zealous prosecution of gun crimes was that he was the ag and therefore he was supposed to. Totally ignored the fact that it was at his discretion.

Game player.

Well the VCDL endorsed him for Governor so they either made up or recognized that any other choice was disastrous.

We can either take one step forward or two steps back,waiting for perfection is waiting for Godot.

muzzled dogg
10-22-2013, 08:46 PM
i dont seem how ppl here are upset with matt

Keith and stuff
10-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Maybe that's because he's NOT a liberty candidate.
Fair enough. He reminds me of the last GOP candidate for governor of NH (though the NH guy wasn't in favor of less gun control instead of more gun control like Ken but was also worse on other issues). The guy in NH lost and it looks like Ken is also going to lose. Hopefully Ron and Rand pushing for Ken helps him! It will be good for at least the people that don't have sex in VA if Ken wins. Certainly, it will be good for seniors and kids, at least! If I lived in VA, I'd vote for him.

cjm
10-22-2013, 11:16 PM
He certainly isn't the anti-gun candidate. I did listen to the 1st debate, though. He came out as in favor of tougher gun control in the debate. He sounded like Sen. Ayotte, actually. She is much better on gun issues than the average American, and I'm sure that Ken is too. He isn't bad on guns, just not good.

Ken is great on several issues. Guns just doesn't happen to be 1 of them.

Ken's voting record in the State Senate smokes his debate rhetoric. He has been a go-to guy for increasing gun freedoms in Virginia, not merely voting against new gun control. Many of the good gun bills that he voted on were ones he introduced himself. Either he's changed his ways or he's playing a dangerous game of pandering to the "moderate" voter.

fr33
10-22-2013, 11:21 PM
i dont seem how ppl here are upset with matt

It's the GOP BORG co-opting the liberty movement.

mad cow
10-22-2013, 11:33 PM
It's the GOP BORG co-opting the liberty movement.

So we should follow Matt?

fr33
10-22-2013, 11:46 PM
So we should follow Matt?

NOOOO! Just don't act surprised that some people don't support candidates like kooch.

mad cow
10-23-2013, 12:17 AM
NOOOO! Just don't act surprised that some people don't support candidates like kooch.

So the GOP Borg Sent mind control waves into Ron Paul's head and caused him to endorse this RINO even though he hated everything Cooch stands for and even though he is no longer an elected politician who might have to endorse people whose policies he happens to disagree with?

Thanks for the warning,I almost fell for it.

fr33
10-23-2013, 12:20 AM
So the GOP Borg Sent mind control waves into Ron Paul's head and caused him to endorse this RINO even though he hated everything Cooch stands for and even though he is no longer an elected politician who might have to endorse people whose policies he happens to disagree with?

Thanks for the warning,I almost fell for it.
I didn't say any of that. But I will suggest that you shouldn't follow all of Ron Paul's endorsements. I never have. I tend to follow my own judgement.

Matt Collins
10-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Ken's voting record in the State Senate smokes his debate rhetoric. He has been a go-to guy for increasing gun freedoms in Virginia, not merely voting against new gun control. Many of the good gun bills that he voted on were ones he introduced himself. Either he's changed his ways or he's playing a dangerous game of pandering to the "moderate" voter.
See post #10 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?431095-Ken-Cuccinelli-doesn-t-do-so-well-on-Campaign-for-Liberty-questionnaire&p=5277792&viewfull=1#post5277792)

mad cow
10-23-2013, 12:32 AM
I didn't say any of that. But I will suggest that you shouldn't follow all of Ron Paul's endorsements. I never have. I tend to follow my own judgement.

Oh I always follow my own judgement too,why would you think I wouldn't?
But I trust Ron Paul's endorsements a lot more since he has been out of government and he has absolutely no pressure on him to endorse one way or the other,such as when he endorsed Cooch this month.

What are they gonna do,vote him out of office? :D

cjm
10-23-2013, 06:53 AM
See post #10 (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?431095-Ken-Cuccinelli-doesn-t-do-so-well-on-Campaign-for-Liberty-questionnaire&p=5277792&viewfull=1#post5277792)

If you are trying to say that he *should* pander to the "moderate" voter, he should do it on social issues and not guns. More people are put off by the social issues than the gun issues.

erowe1
10-23-2013, 07:13 AM

I don't think you can conclude that he's changed his ways or that he's pandering just because of how he answered this one specific yes or no question.

Todd
10-23-2013, 07:14 AM

Hmm. It would seem that he's not paying attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dldt8AiHppw&feature=player_embedded

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr06/2013/9/17/19/enhanced-buzz-8145-1379459539-15.jpg

Those two issues alone should make Santorums head explode.

cjm
10-23-2013, 03:25 PM
I don't think you can conclude that he's changed his ways or that he's pandering just because of how he answered this one specific yes or no question.

I'm not referring to the C4L survey. His answer to the C4L survey is consistent with his stated views and voting record (not pandering). He supports open carry as it stands in Virginia, but wants a background check for concealed carry -- thus, no constitutional carry from him. That hasn't changed.

I'm referring to his responses in debates and what I've been told his long answers were in the VCDL survey by a member of the VCDL that read them (and earned him a "so-so" rating).

GopBlackList
11-03-2013, 03:25 PM

If Ron Paul asked you clean his crap, would you do it?