PDA

View Full Version : What Each Country Leads the World In: A Map

Antischism
10-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Link (http://thedoghousediaries.com/5414)

http://i.imgur.com/aXiP8fK.jpg

Antischism
10-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Australia sounds fun.

Zippyjuan
10-21-2013, 07:29 PM
For some reason, rasberries just don't jump into my head when I think Russia.

Lindsey
10-21-2013, 07:32 PM

Raspberry Vodka?

enhanced_deficit
10-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Which country/countries lead in having killed largest number of people? Which country leads in use of WMDs to destroy human lives?
Which countyry has the largest number of modern/ex slave population?
Which country leads in electing SWCs as executives?

Pretty misleadingly inaccurate map imo.

Zippyjuan
10-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Which country/countries lead in having killed largest number of people?
Do you include their own? Think that would be China or Russia.

Which countyry has the largest number of modern/ex slave population?
India is the current leader in slaves.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/opinion/comments-analysis/india-has-more-slaves-than-any-other-country-14-7-million/articleshow/24452047.cms

India has more slaves than any other country: 14.7 million

Which country leads in electing SWCs as executives?
Southwestern College alums?
Single White Christians?

RPtotheWH
10-21-2013, 08:19 PM
The biggest threat to us is definitely the emperor Penguins....

Mani
10-21-2013, 09:44 PM
According to Wiki. Venezuela is not #1 in Miss Universe, but #2 with 6 victories, while USA is #1 with 8 victories..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Universe

I feel lied to...need to cancel those relocation plans to Venezuela...still checking the validity of Estonia....

Carson
10-21-2013, 10:26 PM
The biggest threat to us is definitely the emperor Penguins....

I suppose we'll have to go a long way out of our way to get there and stir things up in order to protect ourselves.

How does one say, "I surrender" in Penguin?

Mani
10-21-2013, 11:16 PM
I suppose we'll have to go a long way out of our way to get there and stir things up in order to protect ourselves.

How does one say, "I surrender" in Penguin?

Look at these guys. We need to give them a taste of our freedom before they harm us.

http://lethalterroristpenguins.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/penguins2.jpg

eduardo89
10-21-2013, 11:18 PM
I was shocked when I first found out that Spain has the higher per capita cocaine usage in the world. Then I moved to Spain and was no longer shocked.

oyarde
10-22-2013, 12:45 AM

Well , Serbia & Mexico are the largest exporters, I am a snob though and only eat US raspberries :)

MRK
10-22-2013, 12:50 AM
At least one prominent linguist would argue that Cambodian's writing system is not an alphabetic system, but a syllabic system.

"[T]he Cambodian writing system doubles the function of its vowel symbols by using two sets of consonant symbols with a single set of vowel symbols. It follows that there are two consonant symbols for every consonant sound, and two values for every vowel symbol. Thus Cambodian has a syllabic writing system, in the sense that the pronunciation of syllables is represented by configurations of the symbols, as opposed to an alphabetic writing system, where a sequence of symbols has a one-to-one relationship with a sequence of sounds." - Franklin E. Huffman, "Modern Spoken Cambodian," Yale University, 1970.

This does lead to a large series of possible symbols indeed. The fact that this system is phonetic does make it similar to a Western alphabet, so I would have to agree that colloquially its writing system would be known as like an alphabet, and would be something that Cambodia is known for.

That being said, I think there are many other things that would be known about Cambodia before the writing system comes to mind. Personally, before researching and coming to Cambodia I really only heard about Cambodia through the Vietnam War and Pol Pot. These are not particularly cheerful topics, however.

heavenlyboy34
10-22-2013, 01:40 AM
At least one prominent linguist would argue that Cambodian's writing system is not an alphabetic system, but a syllabic system.

"[T]he Cambodian writing system doubles the function of its vowel symbols by using two sets of consonant symbols with a single set of vowel symbols. It follows that there are two consonant symbols for every consonant sound, and two values for every vowel symbol. Thus Cambodian has a syllabic writing system, in the sense that the pronunciation of syllables is represented by configurations of the symbols, as opposed to an alphabetic writing system, where a sequence of symbols has a one-to-one relationship with a sequence of sounds." - Franklin E. Huffman, "Modern Spoken Cambodian," Yale University, 1970.

This does lead to a large series of possible symbols indeed. The fact that this system is phonetic does make it similar to a Western alphabet, so I would have to agree that colloquially its writing system would be known as like an alphabet, and would be something that Cambodia is known for.

That being said, I think there are many other things that would be known about Cambodia before the writing system comes to mind. Personally, before researching and coming to Cambodia I really only heard about Cambodia through the Vietnam War and Pol Pot. These are not particularly cheerful topics, however.
Indo-European alphabets aren't "phonetic". Vowel and consonant sounds vary depending on context.

MRK
10-22-2013, 01:50 AM
Indo-European alphabets aren't "phonetic". Vowel and consonant sounds vary depending on context.

Of course. This shows how difficult it is to use commonly used English words like "alphabetic" and "phonetic" to describe such a system.

MRK
10-22-2013, 02:12 AM

As far as I am aware and understand, the most commonly known purely phonetic writing system is the International Phonetic Alphabet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

Which reminds me of something. If you're learning a language, and you're not using IPA or similar system to verify pronunciation, you're probably doing it wrong. The problem is that in many languages (Khmer included), the availability of IPA transcriptions is quite limited (with the exception of the cited text above by Huffman).

Mani
10-22-2013, 04:07 AM

When I was in Cambodia I didn't find their names particularly or unusually long.

But in terms of what they are famous for? It's gotta be the temples. Siem Reap: http://transportation-rate.webs.com/3112008101120_angkor_wat2.jpg

Or maybe the coolest places where Angelina Jolie hung out. The Tomb Raider movie was filmed in Cambodia, I think over a 6 month period. Can't remember, but the local guides can tell you all about it, that particular temple (not the one in this pic) is even "nicknamed" the Tomb Raider temple. The guides have a lot of knowledge and give some cool insight on how the movie was filmed. There are SOO many temples to see, you could spend a couple weeks just doing temple explorations.

Other famous or interesting things in Cambodia? How about cheapest foot massage in the world? $5 USD. Hard to beat that. I haven't seen cheaper, but haven't traveled the entire globe. And that's in the touristy areas.

Pretty fascinating history of Hinduism and Buddhism and seeing ancient history, culture, and religion revealed through those temples. It's also humbling to see a society that was once a very powerful and rich dynasty and now it's just faded rubble. Really worth a visit.