PDA

View Full Version : RIP - isoHunt shuts down a day early to avoid becoming part of online archive

tangent4ronpaul
10-21-2013, 06:00 PM
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/10/isohunt-shuts-down-a-day-early-to-avoid-becoming-part-of-online-archive/

Last week we reported on the imminent shuttering of isoHunt, which accepted a judgment that it would pay movie studios $110 million as the result of a lawsuit.

On Monday, the site suddenly shut itself down. This closure wasn’t scheduled to actually begin until Tuesday evening, so why the sooner timeframe?

The site’s founder, Gary Fung, said isoHunt wanted to avoid being archived by Archiveteam, a group of archivists that were behind the "Aaron Swartz Memorial JSTOR Liberator” and the digital archive of Geocities. As Fung wrote on isoHunt:

This is it. We are shutting down isoHunt services a little early. I'm told there was this Internet archival team that wants to make historical copy of our .torrent files, I'm honored that people think our site is worthy of historical preservation. But the truth is about 95 percent of those .torrent files can be found off Google regardless and mostly have been indexed from other BitTorrent sites in the first place. So I might as well do a proper send-off to you dear isoHunt users, before final shutdown sequence on Tuesday. It's been an adventure in the last 10.5 years working on isoHunt, a privilege working with some of the smartest guys I've worked with, and my life won't be the same without this journey. For what I'm working on next, please look up my blog on Google and follow me there. Because as the Terminator would say with a German accent, “I’ll be baaaack.”

Jason Scott, of Archiveteam, did not immediately respond to Ars’ request for comment. A historic record of the isoHunt itself (minus the torrent files) is already on archive.org.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
10-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Bowing out from isoHunt
October 19, 2013Musings

For the first year or 2 since its inception in Jan. 2003, isoHunt.com was my hobby. But it certainly couldn’t be the world-class search engine it is today without these awesome staff at isoHunt Inc. that made it possible. Some of us will be unemployed soon, and would appreciate a new job worthy of our talents.

Here are the closing credits. Queue scrolling text and sad music:

Allen “Chip” Parker, Sys Admin (infowolfe@gmail.com)
Jason Michael Mills, Programmer (jason@yarp.me, yarp.me)
Brendan “Spike” Pike, Sys Admin (spike@spykes.net)
Robin “robbat2″ Johnson, Programmer (robbat2@gentoo.org)
Patrick Aljord, Programmer (patcito@gmail.com, shapado.com)
Chris “Tan” Tan, Programmer (nohuck.com)
Andy Koch
Daniel Kuehn, Sys Admin (dataaturservice.se)
Gary Fung, Janitor (this blog, Reddit AMAA)

These are not all the staff, there are those who chose not to be included. And maybe the most unsung heroes who’s been volunteering their time, is isoHunt’s community moderators. The forums and spam on isoHunt would be a mess without you guys.

And here’s a sneak peak of what I’m working on next. As the Terminator says,

I’ll be backkk.

(I'll spare you the rick roll...)

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish friends.

http://garyfung.ca/

-t

AngryCanadian
10-21-2013, 09:04 PM
isoHunt was a great site, i found several programs for free which i needed the most. The MPPA is forcing people to pay.

Even if its for 3Dmax, Photoshop. In Canada those programs cost usual around 800 dollars including tax.

jbauer
10-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Another one bites the dust. Another one will take its place.