PDA

View Full Version : New jersey holds first gay marriage

aGameOfThrones
10-21-2013, 11:29 AM
New York City (AFP) - New Jersey's first-ever same-sex marriages were celebrated Monday with cheers and laughter as a flurry of excited, beaming couples married minutes after midnight.

Republican Governor Chris Christie, who had appealed against the judicial decision to allow the weddings, later that morning dropped his fight to get it overturned.

"Exhilarated, ecstatic and what was my other e? Excited," Marsha Shapiro told TV network CBS, dressed to the nines alongside new spouse Louise Walpin in Elizabeth, New Jersey.

The couple have been together more than 20 years, raised four children and have one grandchild with another on the way.

The weddings began at one minute after midnight (0501 GMT) on the first day that a judge allowed the unions to take place.

Despite the governor's personal opposition, several of the states other elected representatives were only too happy to officiate at the midnight unions.

Cory Booker, the charismatic Democratic mayor of Newark, elected last week in a special ballot to take over the state's empty Senate seat, was one of them.

."
Grace E. Guerrero (left) and Jeanette L. Williams exchange rings after being married by US Senator-e*…
"The great state of New Jersey becomes far, far greater by recognizing the equality of all God's children," he told the congregation at one of the weddings.

Booker, who refused to officiate New Jersey weddings for seven years because of the ban on same-sex marriage, married half a dozen couples in the early hours.

There were only isolated protests.

When Booker asked if there were any objections at one wedding, a man at the back of the hall shouted "this is unlawful in the sight of God" before being ordered out.

The US Supreme Court in June struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, which defined marriage as between one man and one woman and prevented same-sex couples from enjoying the same rights as heterosexual couples.

On September 28, New Jersey Superior Court Judge Mary Jacobson ruled that the state's ban on same-sex marriage went against the historic Supreme Court ruling.

She ordered same-sex marriages allowed as of October 21, the first time a judge used the top court's decision to allow gay marriage in a state where they had been forbidden.

."
Debra Summers (left) and Lynne Womble pose for a picture after being married by US Senator-elect Cor*…
Since the Supreme Court ruling, same-sex couples in New Jersey were "denied benefits solely as a result of the label placed upon them by the state," she said.

Christie's office said that while he disagrees with the decision his administration would enforce it.

"The court has now spoken clearly as to their view of the New Jersey constitution and, therefore, same-sex marriage is the law," it said in a statement Monday.

"The governor will do his constitutional duty and ensure his administration enforces the law as dictated by the New Jersey Supreme Court," it added.

http://news.yahoo.com/jersey-holds-first-gay-marriages-150123858.html

Root
10-21-2013, 12:28 PM
*yawn*

phill4paul
10-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Well that may give them state marriage benefits, and some fed benefits under "state of domicile" rules, but it hardly addresses the issue of whether the government should be in the marriage business in the first place.

Christian Liberty
10-21-2013, 12:41 PM
I wonder how many Republicans will praise Christie for his opposition to this... I'm expecting a lot, which is sad.

erowe1
10-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Bologna.

I guarantee there have been thousands of gay weddings in New Jersey going on for decades.

10-21-2013, 01:01 PM
I have no problem with these people getting married, but I have a huge problem with all the liberals taking advantage of them for the publicity.