PDA

View Full Version : 2 dead, 2 'critical' after Nevada middle school shooting

aGameOfThrones
10-21-2013, 11:23 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/school-shooting-sparks-nevada-middle-school/t/story?id=20634380

cajuncocoa
10-21-2013, 11:25 AM
prayers....

WM_in_MO
10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Ban middle schools

Red Green
10-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Call for background checks at gunshows, registration of firearms, limit of magazines and more gun-free zones from politicians in 3....., 2......., 1.........

tangent4ronpaul
10-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Rap music inspired?

You know in the 4th grade PC indoctrination section?

-t

The Bavarian
10-21-2013, 12:34 PM
It is a tragedy, my thoughts go out to the victims.

but I somehow sense that the gun used will be a "ULTRA MILITARY STYLE AR SHOTGUN BAZOOKA SNIPER 6876785675 CAL WITH DUAL DRUM-CLIP LASER GUIDED TACTICAL NUKE AL QAEDA BIN LADEN EDITION SIGNED BY ADOLF HITLER WITH THE METAL GEAR SOLID STEALTH BANDANA UNLOCKED".

JK/SEA
10-21-2013, 12:36 PM
bet they forgot to put the GUN FREE ZONE signs out before school started....

roho76
10-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah, but does it have the "thingy that goes up." That's how you can tell if it's a ruthless child killing machine.

2young2vote
10-21-2013, 01:43 PM
bet they forgot to put the GUN FREE ZONE signs out before school started....

I doubt whether it was or was not a gun free zone had any influence on this kid shooting the school up. If he was anything like the common middle schooler, he most likely cannot even comprehend the idea of what a gun free zone is. I personally don't think that argument holds up in most cases, that they target an area BECAUSE it is supposedly gun free. I think its more coincidence that the government made the areas where people gather in large groups gun free, which also happen to be the locations that people intend to shoot up. I certainly think them not being gun-free zones would help stop a shooter after he is already shooting, but not that it would completely deter him from that location in the first place.

mad cow
10-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Thousands of people gather at gun shows.They are rarely shot up.

RPfan1992
10-21-2013, 02:29 PM
SPARKS, Nev. (AP) — A student at a Nevada middle school opened fire on campus just before the starting bell Monday, wounding two boys and killing a staff member who was trying to protect other children, Sparks police said Monday.

Twenty to thirty students were witnesses to the tragedy that also left the lone suspected gunman dead, police said. It's unclear whether the student committed suicide, but authorities say no shots were fired by law enforcement. Police said between 150 and 200 officers, including some from as far as 60 miles away, responded to the shooting.

"In my estimation, he is a hero ... We do know he was trying to intervene," Reno Deputy Police Chief Tom Robinson said about the fallen staff member.

The motive isn't yet known. Names of the suspect and victims haven't yet been released.

"As you can imagine, the best description is chaos," Robinson said. "It's too early to say whether he was targeting people or going on an indiscriminate shooting spree."

Students from the middle school and neighboring elementary school were evacuated to the nearby high school, and classes were canceled. The middle school will remain closed for the week.

At the evacuation center, parents comforted their children.

"We came flying down here to get our kids," said Mike Fiorica, whose nephew attends the school. "... It's really chaotic. You can imagine how parents are feeling. You don't know if your kid's OK."

One of the students injured in the violence that erupted around 7:15 a.m. is out of surgery and the other is doing well, according to police.

The shooting happened on the school's campus and ended outside the school building itself, according to police.

"I was deeply saddened to learn of the horrific shooting at Sparks Middle School this morning," Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval said in a statement extending his thoughts and prayers to those affected.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, offered his condolences to those who experienced "a traumatic morning."

"No words of condolence could possibly ease the pain, but I hope it is some small comfort that Nevada mourns with them," Reid said in a statement.

The school, located in a working class neighborhood, enrolls about 700 students in 7th and 8th grades.

The violence erupted nearly a year after a gunman horrified the nation by opening fire in Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., leaving 26 dead. The Dec. 14 shooting ignited debate over how best to protect the nation's schools and whether armed teachers should be part of that equation.

In a statement on the website of Sandy Hook Promise, a gun control advocacy group, Nicole Hockley, whose son Dylan was killed in the shooting said, "It's moments like this that demand that we unite as parents to find common sense solutions that keep our children—all children—safe, and prevent these tragedies from happening again and again."

Washoe County School District held a session in the spring in light of the Connecticut tragedy to educate parents on what safety measures the district takes.

Sparks, a city of roughly 90,000 that sprung out of the railway industry, lies just east of Reno.

Mayor Geno Martini spoke at a morning press conference to assure residents that the community was safe.

"It's a tragic day in the city of Sparks," he said. "This is just an isolated incident."

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20131021/US-Middle-School-Shooting-Nevada/?

puppetmaster
10-21-2013, 03:05 PM
My sisters girl goes there.she is OK.

This is crap school in a crap area. My sister should not even let her kids go there but she is too busy being stupid.

brushfire
10-21-2013, 03:45 PM
I doubt whether it was or was not a gun free zone had any influence on this kid shooting the school up. If he was anything like the common middle schooler, he most likely cannot even comprehend the idea of what a gun free zone is. I personally don't think that argument holds up in most cases, that they target an area BECAUSE it is supposedly gun free. I think its more coincidence that the government made the areas where people gather in large groups gun free, which also happen to be the locations that people intend to shoot up. I certainly think them not being gun-free zones would help stop a shooter after he is already shooting, but not that it would completely deter him from that location in the first place.

I think the GFZ increases the odds that an active shooter will go unopposed...that the disparity of force will nearly always favor the active shooter.
The active shooter need not be aware of whether or not they are killing within a GFZ for it to be a factor - just the existence of a GFZ lends to the statistical likelihood of multiple kills.

That said, I'm sure there are cases where the active shooter has considered their target, and its GFZ status. You are probably right that this is not one of them... Still, the GFZ is a significant factor that remains "under appreciated" by today's so called journalists - not to mention those who pretend to be concerned about "the children". Since guns are to remain in our society, and bad guys will continue to have them, folks need to warm up to the idea of allowing them in our schools. If we cant trust our teachers to have firearms, perhaps we should reconsider trusting them with our children for 7+ hours a day.

I always think back to the Sandy Hook principal - she was so brave to throw her body in the line of fire. I can just imagine how much more effective that brave woman would have been had she been able to return fire. Sandy Hook was a tragedy, but the bigger tragedy is how some seek to keep the GFZ's in place.

brushfire
10-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Tragedy =

The school staffer likely died while trying to shield students.

It should still be a personal decision, whether to carry or not, but one that should not be denied by government. The GFZ is just as much to blame as the shooter.

aGameOfThrones
10-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Mandatory bullet proof vest for all public school children and staff.

Theocrat
10-21-2013, 04:45 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/school-shooting-sparks-nevada-middle-school/t/story?id=20634380

Let me start off by saying that this is a tragic incident, and my heart and prayers go out to the teacher who was killed as well as the two boys who were wounded.

However, when are school districts and superintendents going to realize that making a place a "Gun-Free Zone" does not keep guns away? How many more students and teachers have to be gunned down defenselessly before school councils and superintendents realize the danger of those zones?

DamianTV
10-21-2013, 07:12 PM
News is only talking about this incident. They are NOT talking about the Cop that shot a Hospitalized Man at St. Marys Medical Center which also happened today.

Fear the Freedom of Guns and OBEY Police.

bolil
10-21-2013, 07:36 PM
the compulsory factor involved in public education makes a tragedy a travesty. Children are forced into places that are frequently targeted for mass killings. They are gathered into an enclosed building, without any effective security. They are indoctrinated; they are tortured, and when one of them breaks and brings a gun to school the gun is blamed?!

I suspect that pigs will soon be in every public school. Protecting and serving the shit outta the chirren in the same manner they do adults.

Free market in education, may the best practices win.

libertyjam
10-21-2013, 07:49 PM
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT: YOUR PRESCHOOLER CAN'T BRING A LUNCH FROM HOME WITHOUT A DOCTOR'S NOTE
Not even a preschooler's lunch can be free from Federal control. Health conscious parents are not allowed to opt their children out of eating the processed, nutritionally-deficient, genetically-modified garbage food without approval from a doctor. Pink Floyd was right.
This parent lives in Richmond, Virginia.
http://www.momdot.com/a-doctors-note-for-gmos/

http://www.momdot.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/federal1-600x450.jpg

For some reason I draw the parallel of schools and circuses:

Tyke was a female Elephant born 1974 and died August 20, 1994 after being shot by the police 86 times. It took nearly 2 hours for her to die there on the street in terrible pain, lonely and afraid.
Read More: http://ciccib.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/remember-tyke-the-elephant-and-her-painful-death-ban-all-circus-animals/
EVENT TO END THE USE OF WILD ANIMALS IN CIRCUSES: https://www.facebook.com/events/463979417020231/?ref_dashboard_filter=calendar

puppetmaster
10-23-2013, 06:43 PM
I just heard that the day before this incident that the school was showing a video about a student bringing a gun to school. I will see if I hear any more

jct74
10-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Sparks Middle School shooting followed anti-bullying video’s theme: student

Amaya Newton, an eighth-grader at the Nevada school, says students were shown a video on Oct. 11 that featured a victim threatening bullies with a gun. Newton says the unidentified shooter was often mistreated and may have been inspired by the alleged video.

BY NINA GOLGOWSKI / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2013, 11:24 AM

An anti-bullying video allegedly shown to the 12-year-old shooter at Sparks Middle School is being suggested as the inspiration behind his deadly shooting spree.

Amaya Newton, an eighth grader at the Nevada school, says the boy was often mistreated by fellow students and that the video showing a bullied girl retaliating with a gun in the days before may have "gotten into his head."

"She brought a gun on the bus to scare them and threatened to kill them," Amaya told MyNews4 of the video allegedly shown at school. "It was an anti-bullying movie but it could have gotten into his head about the girl scaring the bullies with the gun."

Though an anti-bullying video motivating a shooting may sound surprising to some, it wouldn't be the first time one was accused of motivating a child's suicide.

Just four days earlier, Brad Lewis, the father of a 15-year-old Illinois boy who fatally shot himself that same day, laid claim that an anti-bullying video allegedly shown to his son at school possibly inspired him to take his life.

Lewis' son, Jordan, shot himself at his mother's house on Oct. 18 - one day after allegedly watching a bullying video that ended with the victim committing suicide.

The grieving father said that it was a fellow classmate of his son who informed him of this link.

"When they see a video shown at school that, 'hey, this is an easy out, just go home and take your life,'" Lewis said in one of two videos speaking out against bullying, "for one I think the school should send letters out to parents asking if it was right for their kids to see this type of video."

read more:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sparks-school-shooting-anti-bullying-video-student-article-1.1493905

puppetmaster
10-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Thanks for finding this.

DamianTV
10-24-2013, 05:31 AM
Ever wonder why D.A.R.E. doesnt work? Lets give the kids the ideas, then wonder why there is so much interest in Drugs afterwards?

FindLiberty
10-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Ever wonder why D.A.R.E. doesnt work? Lets give the kids the ideas, then wonder why there is so much interest in Drugs afterwards? 100% No wonders here, "government Doesn't Work".

jonhowe
10-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Ever wonder why D.A.R.E. doesnt work? Lets give the kids the ideas, then wonder why there is so much interest in Drugs afterwards?

I "discovered" Ron Paul while doing a report for DARE in highschool about the dangers of marijuanna. I couldn't really find any, and I stumbled upon the clip of him on Morton Downey Jr.'s show. Then I found more clips. And more.

And then I found here.

Said video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekjnCtR_O0Q