PDA

View Full Version : next time there is a shutdown...dont give them backpay

dcraelin
10-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Why in the heck would you give federal workers full back-pay for 13 days off. These people are overpaid to begin with. There is some value in the days off of work for them. I think it was a huge mistake to give them full back-pay.

kcchiefs6465
10-21-2013, 09:01 AM
I think it was a mistake to give them any back pay.

I did not notice they were gone. So respectfully I'd have asked them to stay wherever they went. (or perhaps to find productive jobs)

What a joke, the whole thing was, really.

phill4paul
10-21-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm not a happy medium kinda guy but if I were to mediate I would say that they should have the choice of either not being payed or being able to submit for vacation pay.

tod evans
10-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Fuck back pay!

Why are these tax-ticks back on the dole?

libertygold
10-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Back pay? lol. Try not showing up for two weeks in the private sector and getting back pay. lol.

PaulConventionWV
10-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Why in the heck would you give federal workers full back-pay for 13 days off. These people are overpaid to begin with. There is some value in the days off of work for them. I think it was a huge mistake to give them full back-pay.

You are correct, my friend. Welcome to the fora. What other job gives you back pay for not working? It makes no sense.

Brian4Liberty
10-21-2013, 09:56 AM

Topic was discussed at the time:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?429630-House-approves-back-pay-for-federal-workers
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?429529-White-House-Congress-agree-on-back-pay-for-non-workers

erowe1
10-21-2013, 10:17 AM

Obviously it's wrong.

But it wasn't a mistake. The federal government isn't there to serve you and me.

seapilot
10-21-2013, 10:53 AM
If they did not pay them, it would also show there are cracks and risk working for the federal government just like there is in private sector. All federal employees will then be nervous thinking they might be next to not get paid during a furlough or govt shutdown.

If the enforcers thought there is a chance they might not get paid they would not be so eager to protect the ruling class. Why risk it if there is no reward? How many federal workers would stay on for free very long only on a promise to get paid. Maybe a few months now they have gotten back pay. Much after 6 months they will be trading government property to live. Park rangers will let anyone visit as long as they pay them a "special fee".

erowe1
10-21-2013, 11:00 AM
If they did not pay them, it would also show there are cracks and risk working for the federal government just like there is in private sector. All federal employees will then be nervous thinking they might be next to not get paid during a furlough or govt shutdown.

If the enforcers thought there is a chance they might not get paid they would not be so eager to protect the ruling class. Why risk it if there is no reward? How many federal workers would stay on for free very long only on a promise to get paid. Maybe a few months now they have gotten back pay. Much after 6 months they will be trading government property to live. Park rangers will let anyone visit as long as they pay them a "special fee".

Exactly. Also, they can't allow the shutdown to save taxpayers any money. The last thing they want to do is let us see how much better off we are without them.

tod evans
10-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Exactly. Also, they can't allow the shutdown to save taxpayers any money. The last thing they want to do is let us see how much better off we are without them.

The only group of people that benefits from the bloated government we have now are the tax-ticks.

That includes the MIC, bankers, politicians, "workers" and sponges...

People who work in the private sector must support all of them!

10-21-2013, 01:04 PM
I think if these positions were non-essential why even bring them back to work? The government survived without them.

Sam I am
10-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Back pay? lol. Try not showing up for two weeks in the private sector and getting back pay. lol.

That's a good point. Try suspending all your employees in the private sector and not give them back pay, and see how many come back.

dcraelin
10-21-2013, 03:57 PM

on your first point they should be made aware on hiring it might happen and that they will either still have to work or accept less than full backpay for time off.

2nd, Where else are they going to go? especially with the excessive pay they get?

libertariantexas
10-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Did anyone notice that all the "fiscally conservative" Republicans who started this shutdown thing ended up voting for the back pay?

The GOP screwed this thing up on both ends.