PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Is Nuts

LibertyCzar
06-25-2007, 08:58 AM
It ruled today that taxpayers cannot sue Bush over the faith-based initiatives. Let's hear it for government sponsored religion. Check out this link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19414473/

It also ruled against "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" shirts that students can wear. Let's hear it for censorship. Check out this link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19414576/

Let's hear it for Bush's Supreme Court. :rolleyes:

zMtLlC
06-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Schools may prohibit student expression that can be interpreted as advocating drug use,

Lord help us...

DjLoTi
06-25-2007, 09:02 AM
crazy.

beermotor
06-25-2007, 09:05 AM
This shouldn't be surprising. The Supreme Court has been sucking hardcore since the 20s...

LibertyCzar
06-25-2007, 09:17 AM
I guess this makes them one-for-three today. They weakened restrictions on election ads, throwing a wrench into McCain's campaign finance law. Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19415033/

Bradley in DC
06-25-2007, 09:18 AM
It was the Christian Right groups who wrote amici briefs in support of student expression in the Bong Hits for Jesus case.

mconder
06-25-2007, 09:19 AM
It's not anymore nuts than ruling that the government can confiscate people's property and they've already done that.

Blowback
06-25-2007, 09:20 AM
It's not the rule of law anymore, it's the rule of men.

beermotor
06-25-2007, 09:28 AM
It's not anymore nuts than ruling that the government can confiscate people's property and they've already done that.

That was actually written into the Constitution...

theknightshift
06-25-2007, 09:33 AM
That was actually written into the Constitution...

The thing is, in the Kelo decision, the Nazgul ruled that local governments can take private property and give it to OTHER private interests. So if your house is sitting on a site that Wal-Mart is salivating over for their next big blue box, and you refuse to sell, then Wal-Mart can approach your town or county and it could condemn and seize your land to give to Wal-Mart, on the basis that more tax revenue will be generated by a big store than your house and home.

Such is life in modern America.

I keep hearing Charlton Heston screaming "IT'S A MADHOUSE!! A MADHOUSE!!" in my head whenever I think about how much we're going downhill.

angelatc
06-25-2007, 09:37 AM
The thing is, in the Kelo decision, the Nazgul ruled that local governments can take private property and give it to OTHER private interests.

I have to say that I think the Supreme Court ruled according to a literal inperpretation of the Constitution, which is something I wish they would do more often.

We the people need to amend the document to keep this from happening, because I am pretty confident that's not what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

The two examples in the original post make me sad beyond belief. I suppose next it will be illegal to wear a "Dismantle the IRS" shirt, too.

LibertyCzar
06-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Did you know that the most current Amendment ratified (in 1992), the 27th Amendment, was part of the original Bill of Rights, which contained 12, not 10, Amendments? And all that had to do with was Congressional pay.

But a vast majority of Congress doesn't think the Constitution really applies these days, so no wonder they don't want to amend it more often.

beermotor
06-25-2007, 10:41 AM
The thing is, in the Kelo decision, the Nazgul ruled that local governments can take private property and give it to OTHER private interests. So if your house is sitting on a site that Wal-Mart is salivating over for their next big blue box, and you refuse to sell, then Wal-Mart can approach your town or county and it could condemn and seize your land to give to Wal-Mart, on the basis that more tax revenue will be generated by a big store than your house and home.

Such is life in modern America.

I keep hearing Charlton Heston screaming "IT'S A MADHOUSE!! A MADHOUSE!!" in my head whenever I think about how much we're going downhill.

No arguments from me. Of course, in law school you get exposed to the fact that government does whatever it wants to do, the law be damned, and that's pretty much that. So we chuckle over the Kelo decision, which basically just confirms what we already knew: that the Supreme Court and Constitution was no obstacle to corporatism, greed, or anything else really.

ChooseLiberty
06-25-2007, 11:00 AM
One Banana Republic under God. With no liberty and no justice.

ChooseLiberty
06-25-2007, 11:02 AM
I assume they can still wear their "nuke a whale for Jesus" T-shirts? Or is that covered under the Patriot Act?

LibertyCzar
06-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Or "Nuke Iran for Jesus" ;)