PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Bill Young, longest-serving GOP member in House, dies at age 82

tangent4ronpaul
10-18-2013, 06:51 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/18/politics/rep-young-dies/

Rep. Bill Young of Florida, the longest-serving Republican member of the House, died Friday evening, his chief of staff said.

Harry Glenn said that C.W. Bill Young was surrounded by family when he died at 6:50 p.m. at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland.

"The cause of death was complications related to a chronic injury," Glenn said.

News of Young's death came two days after his family said in a statement that he was "gravely ill."

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/131018200907-bill-young-congressman-story-body.jpg

The 22-term representative wasn't on the House floor for the vote on reopening the government and raising the debt ceiling. Just last week, he announced that he wouldn't run for another term.

"It's my time," the 82-year-old told the Tampa Bay Times in a phone interview. As to why he was retiring, Young said, "I don't know that I would pick out one thing. It's a lot of things."

Among them, Young said, was his frustration with congressional gridlock.

"I'm a little disappointed. It seems there's too much politics. It's a different Congress," he told the Times.

Young was first elected to the House in November 1970. After serving 10 years in the Florida State Senate and 43 years in the U.S. House, Young spent more than half a century in elected office. He served with a total of eight presidents.

During his tenure, Young was heralded for his expertise on defense issues. He chaired the full House Appropriations committee and its defense subcommittee during his tenure on Capitol Hill.

RIP

=============

I suppose this means a special election. Anyone in FL willing to run?

We could put all of our backing behind such a candidate. It's off season.

-t

Uriah
10-18-2013, 07:27 PM
FYI, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?430562-Campaign-Evaluation-Nick-Zoller-%28U-S-House-FL-13%29

kathy88
10-18-2013, 07:46 PM
TWENTY TWO terms. Think about that.

eduardo89
10-18-2013, 07:52 PM
TWENTY TWO terms. Think about that.

Term Limits. NOW!

Young was first elected to the House in November 1970. After serving 10 years in the Florida State Senate and 43 years in the U.S. House, Young spent more than half a century in elected office.

I don't like to speak ill of the death, but damn, that man was a parasite on the taxpayer.

angelatc
10-18-2013, 08:10 PM
I don't like to speak ill of the death, but damn, that man was a parasite on the taxpayer.

I feel the same way. They worship themselves - pretending they've sacrificed their lives in order to be mere humble public servants.

brushfire
10-18-2013, 08:36 PM
What the heck is he talking about?

Government gridlock issss...AWESOME!!

http://www.yogabbagabba.com/news/sites/default/files/lance_rock.jpg

Smart3
10-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Glad he's gone.

MichaelDavis
10-19-2013, 02:51 AM
Glad he's gone.

That's very disturbing. He was planning to retire at the end of his current term anyway.

Smart3
10-19-2013, 05:38 PM
That's very disturbing. He was planning to retire at the end of his current term anyway.
One less despicable human being in existence. Also now the seat has an opening. Seems like a win-win to me. Why do you see it as morbid?

eduardo89
10-19-2013, 05:46 PM
One less despicable human being in existence.

Is that what your parents have picked our for your tombstone?

Smart3
10-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Is that what your parents have picked our for your tombstone?

I'm likely to die 30-50 years after my mother. and that's assuming I make it past 80 and she does not.

In any case, I don't care what people think about me. If someone cheers my death, then I'm glad I made their day.

We need to stop treating death as a bad thing.

HOLLYWOOD
10-19-2013, 06:20 PM
53 straight years as a politician between Florida and Washington DC.

When Congressman Bill Young entered Washington DC as a politician, the US national debt was $353.7 Billion, when Bill Young dies in office, he leaves it at $17.1 Trillion.

I wonder, courtesy of Congress, stuck to the unknowing taxpayers, if his survivors will get a years salary for dying in office like Senator Lautenberg?

tsai3904
10-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Lockheed Martin's full page memorial in the Washington Post:

fisharmor
10-22-2013, 10:29 AM

I have no such apprehension.

Fuck him. Good riddance.
And +rep to everyone here who says likewise.

I'll pray for his soul, because with over 50 years of state service it needs all the help it can get.
But I'll call out any priest of the state-god when I see one.

AuH20
10-22-2013, 10:30 AM
These people are useless at anything else so they hang on for 22 terms while feathering their impressive nest eggs.