PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Op-Ed: Another shutdown stickup

tsai3904
10-18-2013, 09:03 AM
Another shutdown stickup

The GOP fails to block the heist

By Sen. Rand Paul
Friday, October 18, 2013

During the shutdown, 85 percent of government stayed open despite the hoopla reported in the media. Government is now 100 percent open. Debt-ceiling deadlines have been averted, but the real problem remains: a $17 trillion debt and a president who continues to pile on new debt at a rate of $1 million a minute.

The government shutdown occurred because Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid allows the Senate to lurch from deadline to deadline without passing a single appropriations bill. Had he done his job and passed each of the 12 appropriations bills, the government could have stayed open.

Opening government has not resolved the big picture — a debt problem so large that it dwarfs all deadlines and threatens the very fabric of the nation. What remains is an unsustainable debt, precisely the problem that motivated me to run for office.

There was never any reason to shut down government. If both sides were willing to compromise, we could have found amicable solutions to these severe problems. But let the record state clearly, no significant spending restraint was accomplished because President Obama steadfastly refused to negotiate. Let us also remember his promise that he will negotiate as long as the compromises are outside of any budgetary deadlines.

We’ve heard this before, and I, for one, am skeptical.

More:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/18/paul-another-shutdown-stickup/

Bern
10-18-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm skeptical too Rand.

libertygold
10-20-2013, 11:13 AM
The media completely overblows the whole thing by showing images of things being closed and interviewing people being furloughed. People being furloughed are crying and carrying on and trying to make everyone feel bad for them. Don't they realize that in the private sector people's jobs are vulnerable to fluctuations in the market? Government jobs are not supposed to be a public works project to create jobs. So much entitlement.