PDA

View Full Version : Direct Mailer Advice for Campaign

AmericasLastHope
10-18-2013, 01:00 AM
I am running for City Council. The election is on November 5th, and I need to have a good mailer company send out about 5,000 postcards to targeted high voter turnout areas. We already had one vendor fall through, now we have another who I think will pull it off.

First I want to ask if there is anyone you suggest for doing this quickly and thoroughly. I don't have a lot of time to mess around. I've done the artwork, submitted it, and it's going out unless someone can offer me a service/price that will beat them.

Thanks!

tangent4ronpaul
10-18-2013, 01:45 AM
can't recommend a company, but 5,000 isn't that many.

I'd suggest 2 things:
Hand address them. That will leave a much better impression.
They are called volunteers - you have some, right? Not suggesting giving yourself a case of carpel tunnel.

Secondly, and in the time span this may be impossible, get a copy of the voter registration database and find out who votes in primary elections. Also, go to a site that lists political donations and identify people that donated to people like you. These are the best ones to mail to.

I'm not sure the USPS will give you a bulk rate for just 5,000... and you generally have to sort them by zip for them to get that rate.

-t

AmericasLastHope
10-18-2013, 04:33 PM
can't recommend a company, but 5,000 isn't that many.

I'd suggest 2 things:
Hand address them. That will leave a much better impression.
They are called volunteers - you have some, right? Not suggesting giving yourself a case of carpel tunnel.

Secondly, and in the time span this may be impossible, get a copy of the voter registration database and find out who votes in primary elections. Also, go to a site that lists political donations and identify people that donated to people like you. These are the best ones to mail to.

I'm not sure the USPS will give you a bulk rate for just 5,000... and you generally have to sort them by zip for them to get that rate.

-t

Thanks for the advice. I realize 5000 isn't that many, but the highest voter turnout for the City Council election in my town over the past ten years has never been more than 6,000. What I did was identify the top five precincts and ranked them in order of turnout. I am constantly out knocking on doors, asking people for their vote in these voter saturated areas. That said I wanted to directly mail 5000 to these areas as well, but I am running out of time and may have to pay for first class at this point.

muzzled dogg
10-18-2013, 04:39 PM
http://www.libertyactivistprinting.com/

tangent4ronpaul
10-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. I realize 5000 isn't that many, but the highest voter turnout for the City Council election in my town over the past ten years has never been more than 6,000. What I did was identify the top five precincts and ranked them in order of turnout. I am constantly out knocking on doors, asking people for their vote in these voter saturated areas. That said I wanted to directly mail 5000 to these areas as well, but I am running out of time and may have to pay for first class at this point.

It sounds like you are doing it pretty well.

The thing with low voter turnout is that you have to get out to the right voters, so maybe knocking on doors isn't the best thing unless you've identified the person as a voter. Often, you can get a grocery store or a strip mall or a farmers market to let you set up a table and let people come to you. This also gives you the opportunity for better visual aids. Thinking grocery stores, if you see someone leaving with a lot of groceries, offer to help them take it to their car and load it. Gives you time to talk to them and I'd guess it's a 100% chance on getting their vote. Best 5 minutes you will spend campaigning.

What are you doing when you interact with people and message them? If you are trying to sell yourself, you are making a mistake. Focus on issues. Bring up ones you have identified and a lot of community members have identified. ASK everyone you meet what their issues and concerns are. Make the election about them.

We had a guy running for city council out here and the issues were parking in the downtown area, traffic getting way out of control due to one particular developer. The community had a slight uprising over him trying to build a major shopping center in the area, formed a community organization and yard signs started popping up all over the place against it. And then there are things you might not suspect: There is a regulation that you can't have "farm animals" unless you have 2+ acres. Lots of people wanted to raise chickens. The max size of a shed without a inspection and building permit, the max height of privacy fences on hills... things like that. Ask, ASK, ASK!!!! What do THEY care about? Make that your platform.

You might even include a number to a message box on what you send out. Press 1 to tell me what issues are important to you. Press 2 if you would like a yard sign or bumper sticker, press 3 if you want to volunteer... Live volunteer to answer most of the time would be better.

If you are like most areas, you primary enemy will be developers.

Get in the local paper weekly, get on local call in radio and TV - exp call in shows, try for rallies and debates, etc.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Also, dress appropriately, and by that I mean so you look like one of the people, not some clown in the standard business costume.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
10-18-2013, 09:50 PM
FWD:

I looked. It is actually a minimum of 200 pieces. No sorting by zip code required for basic Standard Mail Cards.

A permit is needed; that's easy and cheap.

Here are the instructions.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/240_cover.htm

The cost per piece is very cheap.

-t