PDA

View Full Version : [VIDEO] Mom calls cops to help son. Cops shoot him while hands are at his side, lie on report.

noneedtoaggress
10-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Video at the link. File another one under "Never call the cops".

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20131017-video-shows-dallas-officer-shooting-man-standing-with-arms-at-his-side.ece

By TANYA EISERER teiserer@dallasnews.com Staff Writer
Published: 17 October 2013 06:05 PM
Updated: 17 October 2013 07:14 PM

The family and friends of a mentally ill Rylie man are demanding answers after a Dallas police officer shot him for no apparent reason Monday as he stood in the street outside his home.

A police report says that Officer Cardan Spencer fired on Gerald Bennett, 52, after Bennett walked toward him and his partner, Christopher Watson, with a “knife raised in an aggressive manner.”

But a neighbor’s video surveillance camera recording obtained by WFAA-TV (Channel 8) shows something different: It shows Bennett, who was seated in a chair, initially rolling back from officers as they advance on him. Then Bennett stands up but does not move. His hands remain at his side and he is standing still when officer Cardan opens fire on him.

Bennett is in the intensive care unit of a Dallas hospital after being shot in the abdomen.

His elderly mother, who had called the police to help, now wishes she had never done so.

“It’s heartbreaking,” Joyce Jackson said. “It’s not right. My son did not do anything to those police officers. This is not right what they did.”

In a statement Thursday, Police Chief David Brown said that the department was aware of the surveillance video. He also said the department was in the “very early stages of conducting a thorough criminal investigation of this incident” and that once it is completed, the department’s finding would be sent to the Dallas County district attorney’s office.

Brown said that Spencer has been been placed on administrative leave indefinitely. It is standard practice for the department to conduct criminal investigations on police shootings.

According to the arrest warrant affidavit, Spencer and Watson responded to a disturbance call about a man carrying a knife in the 9400 block of Crimnson Court shortly after noon on Monday.

The officers said they saw Bennett sitting in a black swivel office chair in the middle of the cul de sac with his arms crossed.

The officers got out of the squad car and ordered him to show his hands. The report says Bennett then told them, “You all are gonna need more officers out here,” prompting the officers to pull their weapons.

That affidavit says Bennett then took “several steps toward them with the knife raised in an aggressive manner.”

Spencer, “in fear” for his and his partner’s safety, “fired his duty weapon four times,” striking Bennett in the abdomen, the affidavit states.

Maurice Bunch, the neighbor whose surveillance system captured the confrontation between Bennett and the officers, was standing in his front yard. He said he watched as the uniformed officers drove up and approached Bennett.

“They asked him, ‘What’s going on?’ ” Bunch said. “They were coming at him and he just scooted his chair back. He stood up. At that point, they drew their weapons and said, ‘Freeze.’ They may have said, 'Drop the knife.’

“They just waited for about four or five seconds and they just opened fire on him,” Bunch said, adding that he did not see the knife in Bennett’s hand.

An officer did kick an object away from Bennett after he was shot. Police said in the affidavit that they recovered a knife from the scene.

But Bunch said Bennett definitely never told the officers that they would need more police at the scene.

“That’s a lie,” he said. “They were trying to kill him.”

Anti Federalist
10-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Spencer, “in fear” for his and his partner’s safety, “fired his duty weapon four times,” striking Bennett in the abdomen, the affidavit states.

Thank God those brave officers were unhurt.

His elderly mother, who had called the police to help, now wishes she had never done so.

Stories like this, make me, quite literally, tear up in rage and frustration, that my puny efforts cannot reach enough people, cannot wake up enough people, fast enough.

I will pray for your son, mother, and for you.

RJB
10-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Cops openly say they have to see it as "us vs them," to survive on the streets, yet no one takes them seriously until their son is dead in their drive way, and the video gives a differing story from the police report.

It's a matter of life and death to take the police at their word and completely avoid the ones you don't know.

Cleaner44
10-17-2013, 07:16 PM
That video shows 2 cops with no fear, ABSOLUTELY NO FEAR, of being held criminally responsible for executing a human being. They calmly shoot him as if he was a rabid dog. As long as they can refer to any tiny thing as a possible compromise of officer safety, they clearly feel free to taken any action, including lethal force. So sick.

Elias Graves
10-17-2013, 07:17 PM
They recovered the same knife that's been recovered at eleven other "justified shootings," I'll wager.

DamianTV
10-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Unaccountable Authority has NO FEAR of the Public, or Prosecution.

aGameOfThrones
10-17-2013, 07:23 PM
"The Wire: The Detail (#1.2)" (2002)

Lt. Cedric Daniels: What're you doing here at two in the morning?

Det. Ellis Carver: Field interviews. Police work.

Lt. Cedric Daniels: "Police work." I got a 14-year-old kid in critical but stable condition at University and two witnesses who say one of you princes cold-cocked him with the butt end of a pistol.
Lt. Cedric Daniels: No sir.

Lt. Cedric Daniels: I got his mother over at I.I.D. filing a formal brutality charge, which for Herc will make an even four in the last two years!

Det. Thomas 'Herc' Hauk: Unsustained...

Lt. Cedric Daniels: But all of 'em true!

Det. Thomas 'Herc' Hauk: Lieutenant, we thought that...

Lt. Cedric Daniels: I got one less Crown Vic than I had last night, I'm out two Kevlar vests that burned in the car, two hand-held radios, a shotgun and I'm about to lose this idiot here for a week or two of medical! And for WHAT?

Det. Ellis Carver: Lieutenant, we thought...

Lt. Cedric Daniels: What did you learn when you went into the Terrace at two in the morning to conduct field interviews? What valuable information did we acquire from this situation? I.I.D. is gonna be on all three of you by afternoon. If you don't get a story straight by then, you're gonna have a file thick enough to see the light of a trial board. Now, tell me, who cold-cocked the kid?

Det. Roland 'Prez' Pryzbylewski: [after several seconds of silence] Me.

Lt. Cedric Daniels: [intensely] Why?

Det. Roland 'Prez' Pryzbylewski: He pissed me off.

Lt. Cedric Daniels: No, Officer Pryzbylewski, he did NOT piss you off. He made you fear for your safety and that of your fellow officers.

mad cow
10-17-2013, 07:24 PM
A police report says that Officer Cardan Spencer fired on Gerald Bennett, 52, after Bennett walked toward him and his partner, Christopher Watson, with a “knife raised in an aggressive manner.”

But a neighbor’s video surveillance camera recording obtained by WFAA-TV (Channel 8) shows something different

Once again,private video saves the day.Without this the cops' story would be unquestioned instead of a proven bald-faced lie.

This has happened time after time after time and the more often it happens,the less often citizens and juries will be willing to take what a cop says at face value.

tod evans
10-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Justice for members of the "Just-Us" department will never be achieved in their courts.

Elias Graves
10-17-2013, 07:57 PM
One good thing out of the hyper-surveillance state...
makes it harder for cops to gun down civilians and get away with it.

Mani
10-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Horrible tragic incident. But this videos is one of the best I've e ver seen in terms of showing the blatant lies the police tell and the absolutely no hesitation these cops have in murdering someone.

It's black and white. No grey area. Two killers got out of their vehicle weapons drawn. A guy started scooting back until he heard some commands. He stood up in a very NON threAtening manner, arms at his side completely still. Even his stance was nonaggressive. Then he was murdered in cold blood.

Imagine how many times we've read about someone being killed while the police said the person was aggressively coming at them. How many times was a guy standing still arms at his side and shot cold dead???

Every time you read an article about someone being shot and the officer tries to create some doubt about he aggressive manner the guy came toward them, remember this video of this man, standing perfectly still with his arms at his side being murdered.

Occam's Banana
10-17-2013, 08:48 PM
That video shows 2 cops with no fear, ABSOLUTELY NO FEAR, of being held criminally responsible for executing a human being. They calmly shoot him as if he was a rabid dog. As long as they can refer to any tiny thing as a possible compromise of officer safety, they clearly feel free to taken any action, including lethal force. So sick.

If they were facing an actual rabid dog, they would at least have a sane reason to not to be calm and unafraid.

But in Cop World, Mundanes = Rabid Dogs.

SeanTX
10-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Cops lying to cover their asses for a cowardly shooting? No way! Nice that they charged him with assaulting a public servant too -- did he give them a threatening look while being shot?

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/surveillance-footage-disputes-dallas-police-affidavit-officer-involved-shooting--mentally-ill-228252551.html

Surveillance video disputes details in DPD shooting

by MATT GOODMAN & REBECCA LOPEZ

Posted on October 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Suspect wounded in confrontation with Dallas police

DALLAS –– Footage from a surveillance camera pointed at the street where officers shot a mentally ill man in the abdomen earlier this week shows the man never walked toward police nor raised a knife to them, disputing a police officer’s narrative provided in a sworn affidavit.

On Oct. 14, the man’s mother called 911 to report that her mentally ill son was sitting in a swivel chair in the middle of a cul de sac with a knife and acting erratically. Joyce Jackson, the man’s mother, said the dispatcher promised to send officers who were trained on interacting with the mentally ill.

The surveillance video, given to News 8 by Jackson’s neighbor Maurice Bunch, shows Bobby Gerald Bennett, 53, walk out of the garage of his mother’s home at 9452 Crimnson Court at noon. He begins pacing the street.

At 12:05 p.m., Bennett retrieves a swivel chair from the garage and sits in the middle of the block. He gets up and talks to Bunch and returns to the chair at 12:08 p.m. Bennett sits still in the chair until a single police cruiser arrives at 12:19 p.m. It’s not clear whether he is holding the knife at this point.

Ofc. Cardan Spencer and a witnessing officer exit the police car and slowly walk toward Bennett, who pushes the chair backward a few feet. He then stands up straight and the two officers draw their weapons. The officers stop about 20 feet from him. Eight seconds after pulling their guns, Spencer fires and Bennett crumples over and falls to the ground. An affidavit says Spencer fired his weapon four times, striking Bennett once in the abdomen.

Bennett was standing still during the entire incident, both of his arms at his sides. The officers then approach him as he writhes on the concrete. One stops and picks something off the ground. The other officer kicks something away, turns Bennett onto his back and handcuffs him.

“When the officers told him freeze, he complied,” said Bunch, who witnessed the incident from his driveway across the street. “He did not move an inch, in suspended animation; he just stood there, you know? Bobby was conscious, he knew exactly what he was doing because I had been talking to him prior.”

SNIP

The video does not have sound. Bennett has been charged with aggravated assault on a public servant and is in serious condition at Baylor Medical Center.

“It took them no time to start shooting,” Jackson said. “When you’re with a mentally ill person, you don’t just start shooting. They had told me there would be someone special there to help him.”

Affidavit alleges he pointed knife at officers

The police affidavit says Bennett told officers, “You all are gonna need more officers out here!” The document reports that Bennett “took several steps toward them with the knife raised in an aggressive manner.”

The surveillance footage does not show Bennett approaching officers after standing up, nor does he ever raise the knife to them.

According to the police affidavit, Spencer was “in fear for his and Wit. Watson’s safety,” and “fired his duty weapon four times at (Bennett), striking him one time in the abdomen.”

SNIP

SeanTX
10-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Sorry, already posted here ...

Mani
10-17-2013, 09:04 PM
I can't get over this video. It is a MUST SEE. We read and talk about these incidents we make cynical jokes about them coz we have read hundreds of them enough to know the standard police lines. We have seen videos of dogs getting shot or people getting beat up. Some of those incidents are debatable when I see comments on other sites about starting it with an officer etc. wearing a hoodie or whatever.

We have seen guys get gunned down while holding a sword or golf club or some weapon during a raid in the dark.....

But this is one of the few videos I've seen in the middle of the day, a guy standing still, arms at his side, completely non threatening stance, just get blown away......for no reason.

This video needs to be shared and others need to watch and see. The guy is not shouting and approaching the cops. He's not raising his hands, he's not fleeing, he's not making aggressive gestures, he's not doing anything, he's just standing.

This is more black and white then the football player running toward the cops for help. This guy isn't even approaching them.

This is the kind of video people need to see and wake up and realize you could be just sitting in a chair or standing calmly with your hands at your side and still be gunned down, for no reason.

GregSarnowski
10-17-2013, 09:08 PM
I wish I could have seen the look on the cop's face when he found out there is a video.

This is why it is always good to record police. http://www.copblock.org/

GregSarnowski
10-17-2013, 09:10 PM
One good thing out of the hyper-surveillance state...
makes it harder for cops to gun down civilians and get away with it.

Not necessarily. This video would have never come to light if they were government operated cameras.

asurfaholic
10-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Is it a justified shooting if you are in fear of your safety?

Serious question.

I thought it was more like in fear of your life- or someone elses.

If i could start shooting every time i feared for my safety, I'd be killing people the whole way to work.... "Crazy bitch that wasnt a safe speed to approach the rear of my vehicle! (Pow pow pow)"

"Where's your turn signal?? BITCH! (Pow pow pow pow)"

SeanTX
10-17-2013, 09:19 PM

Well, we know if it's a dog police are justified in shooting it 100% of the time because it *could* potentially bite them. And it seems like the same casual deadly force attitude more and more applies to humans also.

Anything that COULD potentially pose a threat to officer safety is fair game for the use of deadly force. Maybe it's a stretch to to compare the two (dog shootings and human shootings), but I don't think so. Casual gun play is casual gun play ...

SeanTX
10-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Not necessarily. This video would have never come to light if they were government operated cameras.

Not always true -- the video of the Kelly Thomas beating came from surveillance cams at the Fullerton city bus station (which I assume is a city gov't operation).

Speaking of which, I wonder what the status is on that -- over two years since they murdered that guy and the indicted cops STILL haven't been brought to trial.

GregSarnowski
10-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Not always true -- the video of the Kelly Thomas beating came from surveillance cams at the Fullerton city bus station (which I assume is a city gov't operation).

Speaking of which, I wonder what the status is on that -- over two years since they murdered that guy and the indicted cops STILL haven't been brought to trial.

I guess they are sometimes forced to produce a video when their backs are up against the wall but I still much prefer private cameras.

edit: Trial date in Kelley Thomas beating scheduled for November 12: http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/09/30/39579/november-trial-date-for-ex-cops-accused-in-kelly-t/

mad cow
10-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Bennett has been charged with aggravated assault on a public servant

Any of y'all who ever wondered what aggravated assault on a public servant entailed,well it's right here in this educational video.

getch36
10-17-2013, 09:43 PM
It happened to me years ago.My Doctor put me on Prozac and had a bad reaction and went crazy.My mother called the assholes for help and they arrested me .I ended up in the Hospital for two weeks and when I got home in the mail was a summons to court for about seven or eight charges.The charges were all dropped and even the prosecutor couldnt believe I was charged.Never again,ever.Oh yeah,they almost arrested my mother because she was upset when they cuffed me.Nice huh,thanks for the help.

Influenza
10-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Why can't today's cops be like the ones on the Andy Griffith show? :(

fr33
10-17-2013, 10:02 PM

The ones on the Andy Griffith show didn't get to make believe that they are soldiers fighting a war while getting a bunch of new toys and training. Well, Barney did, but Andy put a stop to that. One bullet in the shirt pocket.

fr33
10-17-2013, 10:09 PM
I went over to policeone.com and did some searching for this story and the SC deputy recently assaulting the woman veteran. Nothing to be found on either of them.

satchelmcqueen
10-17-2013, 11:07 PM
most of these victims would have made damn good boxers. with a reach of apparently 50 feet he could have hurt the officers if he had choose.

WM_in_MO
10-18-2013, 05:30 AM
DON'T CALL THE COPS EVER EVER EVER

"Mentally Ill"

Is code for

A FUCKIGN PSYCHOPATH

Clearly the officers and the entire neighborhood were in danger.
He could have gotten into a car and crashed into some barricades, HE DOESN'T CARE. HE LOVES IT.

Warlord
10-18-2013, 05:44 AM
too many cops threads in general politics

Anti Federalist
10-18-2013, 06:07 AM

Cops are "general politics".

It's where the rubber meets the road.

Where political decisions are enforced.

If it were not for cops, we could ignore the rantings and authoritarian tendencies of our Dear Leaders.

The neg rep was uncalled for.

Mani
10-18-2013, 06:10 AM

Because there are too many innocent DEAD people killed by cops for no general reason. When you see the general politics area littered with dead people killed by cops, then you realize it's a trend.

specsaregood
10-18-2013, 06:29 AM
I'm interested in knowing how many other "justified" shootings this cop has been involved in during his career.

Warlord
10-18-2013, 06:39 AM

If it were not for cops, we could ignore the rantings and authoritarian tendencies of our Dear Leaders.

Probably should have its own subforum... sorry for negs

Warlord
10-18-2013, 06:42 AM
Because there are too many innocent DEAD people killed by cops for no general reason. When you see the general politics area littered with dead people killed by cops, then you realize it's a trend.

Yes I get it but seriously the trend probably deserves its own sub forum by now. I've made the suggestion in the feedback forum

WM_in_MO
10-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Probably should have its own subforum... sorry for negs
It does have its own 100+ page thread... or is that "Cop Shoots Dog"?

Root
10-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Bullets also slammed into a neighbor’s windows. Police evidence tape now covers the spot where the bullets hit.

They fucking missed as well?

RJB
10-18-2013, 07:40 AM

That's how it is with all emergency workers. When I was a firefighter we were told our safety was our # 1 priority. That meant, for example, if the flames were too high in a house we didn't rush in, instead we might back up and throw some water on the blaze first.

For cops, it's obvious that their training does not involve stepping back and reconsidering (I doubt some are mentally capable), it means shooting at anything that appears threatening-- including a squirrel according to another thread.

tod evans
10-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Are the brave officers okay?:mad:

fisharmor
10-18-2013, 07:43 AM

You do realize those were fictional characters, right?
You may as well ask why all mothers can't be like June Cleaver, or why high school best friends can't be like Maynard T. Krebs.

They can't be like that because they aren't like that. That isn't the job. It never was the job. The only difference between 1960's cops and 2013 cops is that the 2013 cops are doing the same old thing to white people now.

The way they are now is the way they have been since day 1. The job is to do exactly this sort of thing.

I wish Andy Griffith was alive for me to tell him how big a pole I want him to go fuck himself with for spreading this abject lie.

WM_in_MO
10-18-2013, 07:43 AM
These thugs think anyone not wearing the same colors is a threat.

specsaregood
10-18-2013, 08:03 AM
I'm interested in knowing how many other "justified" shootings this cop has been involved in during his career.

Well here is an instance from 2009
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2009/12/police-15-officers-fired-their.html/

Police said Monday that 13 Dallas officers and two Mesquite officers opened fire on a robbery suspect who refused to drop his weapon in Pleasant Grove Sunday night, killing the 19-year-old Dallas man.

Dontell Mitch Terrell of Dallas died at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas shortly after he was shot. It is unclear how many times he was hit, but police said 13 Dallas officers and two Mesquite officers fired at him in the 10000 block of Mesita Drive near North Masters Drive and Lake June Road.

Officer Cardan Spencer, 2 years

Sam I am
10-18-2013, 08:47 AM
by the way, the guy is still alive

quote from the exact same article that the op linked

After Bennett fell to the ground, the surveillance video shows Watson kick an object — presumably the knife — away from him. He then handcuffs Bennett.

Jackson then ran out of her home and approached the officers.

“I started screaming, ‘What have you done to my son?’” she said. “He never meant any harm to those police.”

Bullets also slammed into a neighbor’s windows. Police evidence tape now covers the spot where the bullets hit.

“Had someone been in that home, they could have been shot as well or maybe killed,” Jackson said.

Jackson said that in the hours after the shooting, she tried to see him her son, but armed Dallas police officers would not allow her into his hospital room.

“They said, ‘You don’t need to be here. You son is under arrest for trying to hurt police officers,’” Jackson said. “I said, ‘What would you do if it was your son?’”

She said one of the officers then briefly allowed her sit in a chair in the doorway and peer into Bennett’s room.

She said she’s relieved her son is alive and now she wants justice for him.

“It’s the officers that need something done to them,” Jackson said. “This is not right. Any way I see this is wrong.”

mczerone
10-18-2013, 08:59 AM

Serious question.

I thought it was more like in fear of your life- or someone elses.

If i could start shooting every time i feared for my safety, I'd be killing people the whole way to work.... "Crazy bitch that wasnt a safe speed to approach the rear of my vehicle! (Pow pow pow)"

"Where's your turn signal?? BITCH! (Pow pow pow pow)"

Legally, you can only use deadly force in self defense if there was a reasonable fear for your life: You had to actually be afraid, AND a normal/reasonable person in the same situation would have feared for their life.

That's why the cops always line their reports with "at that time the subject came at me aggressively with a knife raised in his right hand." If it wasn't for this video, there's not more than 1% of judges or juries that would think that the cop was lying. That's the only good thing to come out of these police abuses; more people are beginning to see that cops lie. Everyday in at least one report. They embellish to meet the legal requirements. They use "cop-speak" to make themselves sound like a Vulcan observer. Yet they constantly claim "fear" of everyone they interact with while pretending that their judgments of situations are perfectly calm, rational, objective and absolute.

asurfaholic
10-18-2013, 09:48 AM
That's how it is with all emergency workers. When I was a firefighter we were told our safety was our # 1 priority. That meant, for example, if the flames were too high in a house we didn't rush in, instead we might back up and throw some water on the blaze first.

For cops, it's obvious that their training does not involve stepping back and reconsidering (I doubt some are mentally capable), it means shooting at anything that appears threatening-- including a squirrel according to another thread.

Well I went through police training - passed top of the class too- and we were taught that you only use deadly force when you feared for your life. (Or someone else's life)

So my question was kind of back handed.. You can't shoot because you feel unsafe.

So maybe you are dealing with a man with a knife- potentially unsafe, no doubt. It is murder to kill him because you are feeling too scared. There are less lethal options available, but these were ignored.

I guess the cops were of the mindset that "you don't bring a knife to a gunfight" which is true- but it never had to be a "fight".

JK/SEA
10-18-2013, 09:51 AM
They fucking missed as well?

most likely the slugs hit bone, bounced around, came out the other side hitting whatever was in the way....

article says the cops were SPECIAL TRAINED....yep...trained to kill, let the Union sort it out.

RJB
10-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Well I went through police training - passed top of the class too- and we were taught that you only use deadly force when you feared for your life. (Or someone else's life)

So my question was kind of back handed.. You can't shoot because you feel unsafe.

So maybe you are dealing with a man with a knife- potentially unsafe, no doubt. It is murder to kill him because you are feeling too scared. There are less lethal options available, but these were ignored.

I guess the cops were of the mindset that "you don't bring a knife to a gunfight" which is true- but it never had to be a "fight".
I agree with you, however the internal investigation may disagree with us.

coastie
10-18-2013, 10:06 AM
most likely the slugs hit bone, bounced around, came out the other side hitting whatever was in the way....

article says the cops were SPECIAL TRAINED....yep...trained to kill, let the Union sort it out.

Cops use hollow point ammunition, which will not do any of that. These guys just missed, period.

The only good thing here is that we see, once again, just how terrible these guys shoot.

Mani
10-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Cops use hollow point ammunition, which will not do any of that. These guys just missed, period.

The only good thing here is that we see, once again, just how terrible these guys shoot.

Yes. Another poster mentioned how they had bullet holes in the nearby neighbors windows. I guess when you stand in front of a cop with your arms at your sides you always can close your eyes and count on the cops missing half their shots from 10 feet away. You might just live if they allow the ambulance to get to you.

coastie
10-18-2013, 10:12 AM

You know, your comment made me wonder...

They always say "all policies and procedures were followed" at the end of these incidents, right? Well, I too have had LE training. LOTS of it. I can't for the life me remember any policy I ever worked under that would ever justify shit like this, and we were in fact filled with the fear of God of what would happen if you did shoot someone unjustifiably...

I'm sure if a family member asked to see said procedures and policies, they would be told they are "For Official Use Only", and the public can't see them. How convenient.

EBounding
10-18-2013, 10:36 AM
What would happen to me, a mundane citizen, if I simply drew my gun on a guy who got up from a swivel chair?

PaulConventionWV
10-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Thank God those brave officers were unhurt.

Stories like this, make me, quite literally, tear up in rage and frustration, that my puny efforts cannot reach enough people, cannot wake up enough people, fast enough.

Luckily, this time, these people will have a second chance as the son, at least, is still alive. Also, they are probably going to get some money from a lawsuit.

PaulConventionWV
10-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Horrible tragic incident. But this videos is one of the best I've e ver seen in terms of showing the blatant lies the police tell and the absolutely no hesitation these cops have in murdering someone.

It's black and white. No grey area. Two killers got out of their vehicle weapons drawn. A guy started scooting back until he heard some commands. He stood up in a very NON threAtening manner, arms at his side completely still. Even his stance was nonaggressive. Then he was murdered in cold blood.

Imagine how many times we've read about someone being killed while the police said the person was aggressively coming at them. How many times was a guy standing still arms at his side and shot cold dead???

Every time you read an article about someone being shot and the officer tries to create some doubt about he aggressive manner the guy came toward them, remember this video of this man, standing perfectly still with his arms at his side being murdered.

I think the guy survived.

fr33
10-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Video at the link. File another one under "Never call the cops".

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20131017-video-shows-dallas-officer-shooting-man-standing-with-arms-at-his-side.ece

The title on the news story on this link has changed to: "Dallas chief drops charge against Rylie man shot by officer"

It was "Video Shows Dallas Officer Shooting Man With Arms at His Side".

I guess that's probably all we'll get out of the Dallas PD. They'll buckle up and prepare to settle out of court on the lawsuit. I hope past victims of this officer come forward with lawsuits too.

SeanTX
10-19-2013, 09:36 AM
The title on the news story on this link has changed to: "Dallas chief drops charge against Rylie man shot by officer"

Wasn't the charge against the victim "assault on a public servant"?

I think it was, if so, that just shows what a joke the whole JustUs system is ; a cop can wrongfully shoot you (attempted murder), and then YOU the victim are charged with "assaulting" that "public servant" , when all you did was look at him as he opened fire on you. They probably should have thrown in a "resisting arrest" charge too.

mad cow
10-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Wasn't the charge against the victim "assault on a public servant"?

I think it was, if so, that just shows what a joke the whole JustUs system is ; a cop can wrongfully shoot you (attempted murder), and then YOU the victim are charged with "assaulting" that "public servant" , when all you did was look at him as he opened fire on you. They probably should have thrown in a "resisting arrest" charge too.

Actually,as the video clearly shows,the charge was "aggravated assault on a public servant".

For simple "assault on a public servant".he would have had to have been on his knees with his hands in the air.

Occam's Banana
10-19-2013, 09:49 AM
But a neighbor’s video surveillance camera recording obtained by WFAA-TV (Channel 8) shows something different: It shows Bennett, who was seated in a chair, initially rolling back from officers as they advance on him. Then Bennett stands up but does not move. His hands remain at his side and he is standing still when officer Cardan opens fire on him.

Well, then. I guess Bennett must have been looking at them with a dehumanizing stare (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?416058-Cops-Choke-Arrest-14-Year-Old-For-Dehumanizing-Stares-quot) ...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/1738398/jack-nicholson-stare-o.gif

Mani
10-19-2013, 11:36 PM
I think the guy survived.

Yup. I got emotional When i saw the guy drop like a dead pile of rocks and went on a rant. :o. Later other posters clarified.

SeanTX
10-24-2013, 02:22 PM
The cop who fired the shot has been fired and charged with aggravated assault.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/23776757/dallas-officer-who-shot-ill-man-to-face-hearing

Christian Liberty
10-24-2013, 02:43 PM

Yep.

Yep.

I just realized he wasn't dead. So that's something to thank God for.

EBounding
10-24-2013, 02:49 PM
The cop who fired the shot has been fired and charged with aggravated assault.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/23776757/dallas-officer-who-shot-ill-man-to-face-hearing

The chief said Watson has admitted to remembering things out of order or that didn't happen, possibly because of the stress of the situation.

Occam's Banana
10-24-2013, 03:33 PM
The chief said Watson has admitted to remembering things out of order or that didn't happen, possibly because of the stress of the situation.

Yeah, I guess having to account for video-recorded evidence that you are a thug and a liar would be a pretty stressful situation ...

SeanTX
10-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Well, he's not being charged after all, a judge refused to sign the arrest warrant and it will just be handled as a "grand jury referral" -- the Just Us system wins again! Funny how they had no problem with charging the victim with aggravated assault at first ...

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013/10/officer-will-face-disciplinary-hearing-in-shooting-of-mentally-ill-man.html/

Update at 2:25 p.m. by Tanya Eiserer:

Dallas Police Association President Ron Pinkston says a district judge refused to sign the arrest warrant charging Spencer with aggravated assault.

“It tells me that this there’s questions about this investigation,” Pinkston said. “Anybody involved knows (this investigation) was pushed through for political and media reasons.”

Pinkston said there was a rush to judgment in this case and the “speed of this investigation was unprecedented. How come all investigations aren’t done in nine days?”

Spencer “feels betrayed by the department like anybody else would feel,” Pinkston said. “The Dallas Police Department lost a very good young police officer today.”

Update at 4 p.m., by Tristan Hallman:

Chief David Brown said the case will now be filed as a referral to a grand jury. Spencer will not be charged with aggravated assault after all.

mad cow
10-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Update at 2:25 p.m. by Tanya Eiserer:

Dallas Police Association President Ron Pinkston says a district judge refused to sign the arrest warrant charging Spencer with aggravated assault.

“It tells me that this there’s questions about this investigation,” Pinkston said. “Anybody involved knows (this investigation) was pushed through for political and media reasons.”

Pinkston said there was a rush to judgment in this case and the “speed of this investigation was unprecedented. How come all investigations aren’t done in nine days?”

Spencer “feels betrayed by the department like anybody else would feel,” Pinkston said. “The Dallas Police Department lost a very good young police officer today.”

Update at 4 p.m., by Tristan Hallman:

Chief David Brown said the case will now be filed as a referral to a grand jury. Spencer will not be charged with aggravated assault after all.

Disgusting.