PDA

View Full Version : Did Paul supporters back Candidate Cruz?

samforpaul
10-17-2013, 02:21 PM
I'd like to have my facts straight on something. Did Ted Cruz get elected with help from Ron Paul supporters? I seem to remember him originally coming in third in a race then winning a run-off. ?????
Seems like he had allies on this forum helping him like the help that was given to Debra Medina.

Thanks to those that respond.

TaftFan
10-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Ron and Rand campaigned for him and the RLC was heavily behind him.

CPUd
10-17-2013, 02:53 PM
There was somewhat mixed sentiment about him during the primaries. But Rick Perry campaigning for Dewhurst and getting booed at the TX GOP conventon I think helped Cruz around these forums.

ObiRandKenobi
10-17-2013, 02:56 PM
i rooted for him just because i hate rick perry and that ogre dewhurst

LibertyEagle
10-17-2013, 03:17 PM
I live in Texas and yes, I voted for him. That is as far as my support went. He seemed leaps and bounds better than Dewhurst, whom I know is a scum.

TheTyke
10-17-2013, 07:21 PM
I saw a number of my liberty friends in TX supporting him... and the endorsements from both Pauls.

Pericles
10-17-2013, 07:27 PM
I saw a number of my liberty friends in TX supporting him... and the endorsements from both Pauls.

That ^ IMO Rand, Cruz and Lee are the 3 Musketeers of the Senate.

Keith and stuff
10-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Yes. Lots of Paul supporters helped him. Has was given money by Paul supporters. He had Paul supporters on his staff.

fr33
10-17-2013, 08:04 PM
What Liberty Eagle said.

fr33
10-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Btw I voted for the LP candidate in the general. In Texas it's easy to support the "libertarian-republican" in the primary and runoff, then let the other red-staters elect them in the general. I like the LP better than the GOP.

enhanced_deficit
10-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Depends on how he conducts/behaves after repenting past dumb stances. Will he again

- call for US to develop a plan to quickly invade Syria to find WMDs?
- go to "Christians United for Israel" rally to beat Iran invasion drums?
- call notorious John Hagee a 'great guy'?

That said, he is better than some politicians and don't think he is mentally unfit.. but he has not shown many signs of intelligence or sound belief system so far.

kcchiefs6465
10-18-2013, 07:50 AM
I did not donate any time or money to Ted Cruz. His foreign policy views concerned me.

That said I am glad he is in the Senate.

Athan
10-18-2013, 08:22 AM
I'd like to have my facts straight on something. Did Ted Cruz get elected with help from Ron Paul supporters? I seem to remember him originally coming in third in a race then winning a run-off. ?????
Seems like he had allies on this forum helping him like the help that was given to Debra Medina.

I was and still behind him.

Not so much for him and his current squabble with Obama, but because his DAD introduced him.

Make no mistake, his DAD sold me. He introduced himself and Cruz and told our republican group (Ron Paul supporters were a minority) his story of HIS struggle with the communist in Cuba and his detainment by Castro. And I making no mistake, Ted Cruz's father IS a bonafide follower of Austrian economists. He didn't just drop names like Mises, but he pronounced it right and explained his views of freedom and a free market. It wasn't a Sara Palin moment where she said she reading his stuff. He sounded like he knew his stuff and he raised his son Ted as he was growing up to understand Mises and Austrian economics.

Keep this in mind, if a young Ted Cruz was brought up on Ludwing Von Mises, this was far before Ron made it popular through his campaign. You want to know why I think Ron endorsed Ted Cruz even though he didn't really drop Ron Paul's name? I think it is because Ron may personally know the elder Mr. Cruz in his circle of the remnant. If I could vote for Ted's father instead of Cruz, I WOULD. In a heartbeat. Perma-ban me if you think I'm lying to the remnant.

All of you who have doubts of Cruz, that is fine. If you EVER have the chance to meet the elder Mr. Cruz, drop what you are doing and see him. Talk to him. You will thank Mr. Athan.

Bern
10-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Cruz had heavy support from FreedomWorks too. They were supplying signs for him all over the state. But honestly, choosing between Cruz and Dewhurst - it was an obvious choice for anyone that loathes business as usual big government.

Bastiat's The Law
10-18-2013, 10:31 AM
I think a lot of Paul supporters pulled the lever for him in Texas. A lot also worked on his staff and volunteering. I think considerably less donated to him, he just wasn't as inspiring to them as others, which is fine. He was mostly a strategic pick because we've could've done much, much worse with Dewhurst getting the nod.

No1butPaul
10-18-2013, 03:43 PM
What I remember is, a lot of RP supporters were upset because, while RP endorsed Cruz, he would not endorse RP.

http://www.texastribune.org/2012/05/07/cruz-not-endorsing-paul-president/

http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2012/05/ron-paul-backs-ted-cruz-for-senate-but-cruz-not-backing-paul-for-president/

“Because it is critical to defeat Barack Obama in November, Ted will enthusiastically support the Republican nominee,” Cruz campaign manager John Drogin said Monday.

I know I saw a video clip here of somebody questioning Cruz at a campaign event about not endorsing Ron Paul.

Updated - OK, I found the posting with the video, but it says the video has been removed from YouTube. It does show the conversation we had about it at the time. I also remember everyone being upset about Rand Paul endorsing Romney on Hannity while RP was still in the race, (and delegates were getting their fingers and hips broken fighting for RP in Louisianna). Anyway, here's the forum link: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?401948-Ted-Cruz-Sheriff-Mack-Ron-Paul-and-endorsements&highlight=ted+cruz+won%27t+endorse+ron

libertariantexas
10-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Btw I voted for the LP candidate in the general. In Texas it's easy to support the "libertarian-republican" in the primary and runoff, then let the other red-staters elect them in the general. I like the LP better than the GOP.

I also voted Libertarian in the General (I couldn't vote in the GOP primary because I was running for office as a Libertarian).

My wife voted for Cruz in the primary, but voted Libertarian in the General.

Cruz was certainly better a better choice in the primary than Perry lackey Dewhurst.

libertygold
10-20-2013, 05:17 PM
i rooted for him just because i hate rick perry and that ogre dewhurst

Haha yeah. Perry is not the real deal. Talks a tough game but he isn't really part of the liberty movement.

TruckinMike
10-20-2013, 06:51 PM

YES! I was at the Ron/Rand/Cruz rally in Austin. I voted for CRUZ.

eduardo89
10-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Even if you do not like Cruz, you have to admit he is leaps and bounds better than any other senator apart from Rand and Lee, and even if just half the GOP caucus in the Senate was made up of Ted Cruz's then business as usual would be done. Hopefully in 2014 we can get Ted Cruz-caliber (or better) elected in at least 3 or 4 states.

Greg Brannon in NC
Lee/Mace in SC
Broun in GA
South Dakota, Alaska (Miller?), Louisiana, Colorado (Hill?), Mississippi, Nebraska, Montana, West Virginia, all are possible as well if a good candidate is found.

XTreat
10-21-2013, 07:15 AM
I know several paid staffers that worked for Ron Paul in Iowa that went on to work on Cruz's staff.

Bastiat's The Law
10-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Even if you do not like Cruz, you have to admit he is leaps and bounds better than any other senator apart from Rand and Lee, and even if just half the GOP caucus in the Senate was made up of Ted Cruz's then business as usual would be done. Hopefully in 2014 we can get Ted Cruz-caliber (or better) elected in at least 3 or 4 states.

Greg Brannon in NC
Lee/Mace in SC
Broun in GA
South Dakota, Alaska (Miller?), Louisiana, Colorado (Hill?), Mississippi, Nebraska, Montana, West Virginia, all are possible as well if a good candidate is found.

I think Miller in Alaska will have a tough time winning the primary and general. He would be a top 5 Senator though.

undergroundrr
10-21-2013, 10:20 AM
I voted for Cruz. Way the best senator we've had in Texas that I can remember.

He makes certain kinds of leftists squirm. I like that.

Saint Vitus
10-21-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm from Texas and I didn't vote for him. Not a big fan of Zionist warmongers.

surf
10-21-2013, 12:35 PM
i'm in the camp that thinks it would be good for Rand to distance himself from Cruz. peace is our only hope.