PDA

View Full Version : Water Supply Cut Off After Man Urinates In Reservoir

green73
10-17-2013, 12:24 PM
PORTLAND, Ore. (CBS Seattle) – A Portland, Oregon man urinated in a Mt. Tabor reservoir Wednesday causing the city to take it’s critical water supply off line and dump millions in gallons of water.

According to The Oregonian, officials saw five people throwing objects into the reservoir, while one person began to urinate into it through the fencing. Police did not cite the 21-year-old or his friends, but the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office may press criminal charges after surveillance video and police reports are reviewed.

“It’ll kind of depend on what the surveillance video shows,” Sgt. Pete Simpson explained to the newspaper. ”He’s not out of the water yet.”

An administrator for the Water Bureau, David Shaff, said that because of this incident, roughly 7.8 million gallons of drinking water will be discarded. He said the bureau often finds dead animals in the same drinking supply but the water isn’t dumped.

“This is different,” Shaff told the newspaper. “Do you want to drink pee?”

Shaff continued by saying most people would be “squeamish” about drinking water that has been urinated in.

The newspaper did not name the man who urinated because he was not arrested or charged with a crime.

Police confronted the man about urinating in the reservoir and he told them it was a stupid thing to do.

When they explained to him that his actions were “disrespectful” and that he urinated in the water supply, he reportedly said in a report, “I didn’t mean to show disrespect. I thought this was a sewage treatment plant.”

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/10/16/water-supply-cut-off-after-man-urinates-in-reservoir/

Uriel999
10-17-2013, 12:31 PM
wow... a little urine in 7.8 MILLION gallons of water and they are dumping all of it. Stupidity.

RM918
10-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Of course not! Pee is disgusting. Rotting bile from a dead squirrel, though? Fuck, I drink rotting bile smoothies all day.

10-17-2013, 12:49 PM
They tossed 8 million gallons of water for a few ounces of piss? Talk about waste.

TER
10-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Government planning at its finest. :rolleyes:

Dr.3D
10-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Ducks and Geese poop in the water and they don't drain the reservoir. As diluted as the urine would be, it's like it isn't even there.

coastie
10-17-2013, 12:57 PM
An administrator for the Water Bureau, David Shaff, said that because of this incident, roughly 7.8 million gallons of drinking water will be discarded. He said the bureau often finds dead animals in the same drinking supply but the water isn’t dumped.

:confused::toady::eek:

Ummm, I think I'll take the piss over the dead animal juice, since you asked - not that it matters in 7.8 million gallons of treated water you fucking retard.

donnay
10-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Guess they missed this episode of Man Vs Wild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U_xmfSwYSw

And this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2zITvSp0Hk

coastie
10-17-2013, 01:06 PM

And this one...

Mmmmm, yummy. Fresh out the ole 'tap!

:eek:

I threw up in mouth a little after typing that, lol.

jkr
10-17-2013, 01:10 PM
COMMON GUYS!

THEY
ARE
SMARTER
THAN
US

PaulConventionWV
10-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Of course not! Pee is disgusting. Rotting bile from a dead squirrel, though? Fuck, I drink rotting bile smoothies all day.

All day erry day...

Christian Liberty
10-17-2013, 01:32 PM
If I knew there was pee in my water I'd have a hard time drinking it. I'd rather not know...

Brian4Liberty
10-17-2013, 01:38 PM
LOL. What a bunch of morons! (At the city, just to be clear.)

Of all of the crap that probably ends up in that water (before treatment), and they are emptying it because of a few ounces of sterile, dilute pee? Do these people not understand math or chemistry?

And why do I say dilute? Because I am guessing this is at night, and these dumb-asses had been drinking. Drink a bunch of beers, and the only thing that is in urine is water and a few B-vitamins from yeast.

Brian4Liberty
10-17-2013, 01:38 PM
If I knew there was pee in my water I'd have a hard time drinking it. I'd rather not know...

I guarantee that there is pee in the water you drink.

Dr.3D
10-17-2013, 01:52 PM
I guarantee that there is pee in the water you drink.
I've heard, nearly all the water on the planet has been through somebody at least once.

tod evans
10-17-2013, 01:55 PM

There's not one single ounce of water on this planet that hasn't been through a set of kidneys at least once.

Deal with it.:rolleyes:

Brian4Liberty
10-17-2013, 02:14 PM
I hear they put poop where they grow food crops!

CPUd
10-17-2013, 03:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/B7keJUH.gif

jbauer
10-17-2013, 03:52 PM

There's pee in every drink you've ever drank. Most they've filtered out 99.99% but frankly 128 ounces x 7.8M gallons = 99,8400,000 ounces. Say he pissed 6 ounces that'd be 0.00000060096153846154%

Since urine is mostly water anyway there's significantly more parts per million of rat shit in your cheerios than piss in that reservoir

10-17-2013, 04:05 PM
I hear they put poop where they grow food crops!

Where I used to live it went straight from the sewage plant into the field. They would drive an 18 wheeler tanker around in the field with the valve in the back open. It was ripe for a few days after.

Qdog
10-17-2013, 04:29 PM

OMG! there is water in my pee! Gross!

Keith and stuff
10-17-2013, 04:57 PM
I didn't know people in the Portlandia eco-friendly fantasy world hated the environment so much. Maybe Al Gore can fly out there on his private jet and talk some sense into them!

Zippyjuan
10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Unless you are drinking rainwater or getting it from a glacier, you are drinking water which has been pissed in. The farther you are from the original source, the more piss (and other waste) has been in your water. People upstream from you used it to shower in, wash their clothes in, and eliminate bodily wastes in- and that isn't counting all the animals and fishes. But it has been diluted and processed to where it really isn't a threat to you. Dumping the entire resevoir in this case because a kid pissed in it is absolutely rediculous.

AngryCanadian
10-17-2013, 05:05 PM
How did that idiot managed to pass by security? this is the only thing that i am not getting from the news story, since its a Reservoir why was it lacking security?

RJB
10-17-2013, 05:07 PM
W.C. Fields, who preferred alcohol, said, "I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it."

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Guess that water administrator never had a golden shower.

Kotin
10-17-2013, 05:25 PM
this is government.

Uriel999
10-17-2013, 05:47 PM
this is government.

yeah but it is retarded even for government!

tod evans
10-17-2013, 06:04 PM
this is government.

Even "government" can grasp the concept of rotting flesh being more hazardous to health than urine.

All open air tanks have dead critters in them, bar-none.

green73
10-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Even "government" can grasp the concept of rotting flesh being more hazardous to health than urine.

Not sure I agree.

Cleaner44
10-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Urine is sterile. I doubt the same could be said for the dead animals in the water.

tod evans
10-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Not sure I agree.

Surely they've spent countless millions of tax dollars "studying" it....

brushfire
10-17-2013, 06:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUFQ2ECfPOw

green73
10-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Urine is sterile. I doubt the same could be said for the dead animals in the water.

What, were you homeschooled? People are a disgusting blight to all that is good and clean.

FindLiberty
10-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Bear Whiz Beer... "It's in the water" that's why it's yellow!

CPUd
10-17-2013, 10:09 PM
W.C. Fields, who preferred alcohol, said, "I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it."

http://i.imgur.com/Z3z5oyH.jpg

AFPVet
10-17-2013, 10:59 PM
I've heard, nearly all the water on the planet has been through somebody at least once.

Yup... nature provides a great recycling purification system though :) So they care about a little piss, but not about the dead animals or other natural environmental contaminants?

enhanced_deficit
10-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Way to go, giving terrists ideas how to shut down water supplies using pee as WMD?

http://i.imgur.com/B7keJUH.gif

This is ok.. but this kind of hanky panky in lower jeans compartment will not be acceptable.

amy31416
10-17-2013, 11:16 PM

And this one...

Are you joking me here? You rant about the hazards of rainwater, but seemingly think drinking your own piss is okay or better?

I'm hoping that that isn't what you were implying.

amy31416
10-17-2013, 11:17 PM

Urine is sterile...until it passes through yer nasty ole pipes. Then it ain't, not by a long shot.

eduardo89
10-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Are you joking me here? You rant about the hazards of rainwater, but seemingly think drinking your own piss is okay or better?

I'm hoping that that isn't what you were implying.

But pee is natural!

TER
10-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Urine is sterile...until it passes through yer nasty ole pipes. Then it ain't, not by a long shot.

Actually, unless you have an active infection, urine is sterile and cultures from it do not grow bacteria. That is the normal condition of urine. That is what makes the story in the OP so freaking ridiculous and just goes to show that when it is other people's money, people will gladly spend it so as not be called out or sued or whatever. The people who decided to drain all that water need to be replaced and more intelligent, responsible, and moral people should be put in. Unfortunately, I think these are government jobs we are talking about...

Mani
10-18-2013, 12:20 AM
In Singapore they drink their own piss..

And it's the cleanest water around. It's an interesting read.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/environment/singapores-water-cycle-wizardry

amy31416
10-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Actually, unless you have an active infection, urine is sterile and cultures from it do not grow bacteria. That is the normal condition of urine. That is what makes the story in the OP so freaking ridiculous and just goes to show that when it is other people's money, people will gladly spend it so as not be called out or sued or whatever. The people who decided to drain all that water need to be replaced and more intelligent, responsible, and moral people should be put in. Unfortunately, I think these are government jobs we are talking about...

There's natural (and unnatural) flora at the exterior of the urethra, and unless you've just showered, there's going to be something growing. I know you're a doc, but it picks up the flora upon exit--that's been my experience with culturing urine--men's is more likely to be clean than women's for obvious reasons. It's not always an infection, just the normal staph and stuff like that.

But yeah, definitely stupid to dump the water.

TER
10-18-2013, 12:35 AM
There's natural (and unnatural) flora at the exterior of the urethra, and unless you've just showered, there's going to be something growing. I know you're a doc, but it picks up the flora upon exit--that's been my experience with culturing urine--men's is more likely to be clean than women's for obvious reasons. It's not always an infection, just the normal staph and stuff like that.

But yeah, definitely stupid to dump the water.

There is more bacteria in one person's spit then thousands of gallons of urine collected by people with normal hygene! I hope they don't drain the reservoir the next time someone spits into it! And don't even get me started on coughing! Civilians must wear masks by the lakeside or the water gets drained!!!!!!!! :p

eduardo89
10-18-2013, 12:36 AM
There is more bacteria in one person's spit then thousands of gallons of urine collected by people with normal hygene! I hope they don't drain the reservoir the next time someone spits into it! And don't even get me started on coughing! Civilians must wear masks by the lakeside or the water gets drained!!!!!!!! :p

aaaaachhhhuuuuuu! oops...

amy31416
10-18-2013, 12:40 AM

No doubt about that! All I know is that I'm going to hide in a sterilized bubble....and you think coughing is bad? Kissing.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TER
10-18-2013, 12:58 AM
No doubt about that! All I know is that I'm going to hide in a sterilized bubble....and you think coughing is bad? Kissing.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy, if you start making out with the reservoir, I'm going to have to tell Kludge.

TER
10-18-2013, 01:05 AM
aaaaachhhhuuuuuu! oops...

In the year 2025:

"Here's your citation", mundane.

[ scans the civilian's state-issued mandatory electronic device and automatically removes $3500 'Federal Reserve Notes' from the civilian's bank account as the screen instantaneously displays "Only 4 more points allowed until freezing of your accounts".]

"Have a nice day" says the militarized park ranger.

"Hope you have an Obama!" curses the mundane.

puppetmaster
10-18-2013, 03:49 AM

Don't investigate or you will never eat or drink again.

Mani
10-18-2013, 03:55 AM
Don't investigate or you will never eat or drink again.

Ya, that's like the whole...never visit the kitchen of a restaurant rule.

My dad's a mr. fix it kind of guy and one day helped out a guy who owned a restaurant I used to love to eat at. I happen to be with my dad when he called and asked for a favor to help him with something in the Kitchen. I walked through the kitchen with my dad and my eyes popped open wide. Like...No fucking way...this nasty....And then I didn't want to eat at that place anymore...

And I realized I shouldn't visit restaurant kitchens ever again...

Jackie Moon
10-18-2013, 04:35 AM

In my cup? No. Mixed with 7.8 million gallons of water? Yeah, I'll take my chances.

That's actually where my water comes from and I'd still drink it.

But thanks for just dumping it and adding the cost to my already ridiculous water bill. :rolleyes:

How did that idiot managed to pass by security? this is the only thing that i am not getting from the news story, since its a Reservoir why was it lacking security?

It's just a big open reservoir that's in the middle of a park, so you can walk right up to the fence around it.

http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/galleries/2011/11/03/fittest-cities-from-denver-to-los-angeles-photos/jcr:content/gallery/slide_0/image.img.500.333.jpg/1337256000000.cached.jpg