PDA

View Full Version : Paul Ryan voted against the Boehner Budget

erowe1
10-17-2013, 10:15 AM
I don't really care. It just makes me wonder what he's up to. I think there's a chance that Boehner will not last as speaker much longer. If that's true, then his replacement will have to be one of the people who voted against him yesterday. But it will also have to be an establishment hack. It definitely won't be anyone most people here could tolerate. And I think Ryan is probably positioned well in that scenario.

angelatc
10-17-2013, 10:21 AM
That would be interesting.

jkob
10-17-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm not too worried about who replaces Boehner, he needs to go regardless.

ObiRandKenobi
10-17-2013, 10:56 AM
omg he supported boehner the whole time, obviously, he just wants that talking point in case he decides to run for president.

compromise
10-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Cantor is generally regarded as the guy who'll step up if Boehner goes down.

Ryan is trying to vote right on key votes in order to position himself for a potential presidential run.

That being said, it's possible Ryan could try to become the Speaker. He has widespread support within the conservative wing of the party, despite not being a conservative himself.
Even Amash likes him:
https://www.facebook.com/justinamash/posts/451438364887995
https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/241000317599248384
https://twitter.com/repjustinamash/status/246369818268286977
https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/241033163642662912

erowe1
10-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Cantor is generally regarded as the guy who'll step up if Boehner goes down.

It's hard for me to see that.

If there's a coup, then the entire block of conservatives who supported the shutdown will be paying attention, and they'll be the loudest voices, and they won't accept Cantor as his replacement.

compromise
10-17-2013, 11:07 AM
It's hard for me to see that.

If there's a coup, then the entire block of conservatives who supported the shutdown will be paying attention, and they'll be the loudest voices, and they won't accept Cantor as his replacement.

Yoho and Bridenstine both voted for Cantor in the Speaker vote at the beginning of the year.

erowe1
10-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Yoho and Bridenstine both voted for Cantor in the Speaker vote at the beginning of the year.

But that didn't really mean anything. And hardly anybody aside from wonks really took any interest. If this blows up in Boehner's face, then they'll have tons of angry Republican constituents emailing them telling them to stand firm, and that this budget was the last straw, and I don't see how Cantor will be acceptable to them.

erowe1
10-17-2013, 11:18 AM

10-17-2013, 12:52 PM
I'd rather Ryan than Boehner or Cantor

JK/SEA
10-17-2013, 01:06 PM
he voted against it for suck points. He knew the vote count. Nothing to lose, suck points to gain.

move along, nothing to see here.

Ryan=RINO.

erowe1
10-17-2013, 01:31 PM
he voted against it for suck points. He knew the vote count. Nothing to lose, suck points to gain.

Ryan=RINO.

But he usually doesn't do that. Whenever small-government Republicans buck the establishment, Ryan always loyally votes with the establishment.

JK/SEA
10-17-2013, 01:44 PM
But he usually doesn't do that. Whenever small-government Republicans buck the establishment, Ryan always loyally votes with the establishment.

he's playing both sides of the fence...covering his bases. He's a snake. Fuck this fuck wad.

Feeding the Abscess
10-17-2013, 01:46 PM
From the pragmatists' perspective, why is Paul Ryan hated? He says he's an ardent Ayn Rand fan, and for all we know, he's playing the game to move up the ladder. Wouldn't it be awesome for an actual Objectivist to be in control of what the House of Representatives votes on? What would accomplish more, an Objectivist holding the purse, or a moderate libertarian-leaning politician moderating further and inheriting a position that is largely symbolic and rhetorically driven, valued not for its ability to push through legislation, but for its use of the office as a platform to espouse political philosophy?

Brian4Liberty
10-17-2013, 01:48 PM

Ryan=RINO.

There is probably a formula, followed by establishment RINOs, that dictates when and how much phony catering needs to be done. Just ask Graham, McCain, McConnell, etc. It's probably time for some pandering by Ryan to voters.

Brian4Liberty
10-17-2013, 01:49 PM
From the pragmatists' perspective, why is Paul Ryan hated? He says he's an ardent Ayn Rand fan, and for all we know, he's playing the game to move up the ladder. Wouldn't it be awesome for an actual Objectivist to be in control of what the House of Representatives votes on? What would accomplish more, an Objectivist holding the purse, or a moderate libertarian-leaning politician moderating further and inheriting a position that is largely symbolic and rhetorically driven, valued not for its ability to push through legislation, but to use the office as a platform to espouse political philosophy?

IMHO, Hannity and Levin are both objectivists. Want them for President?

gwax23
10-17-2013, 01:50 PM
From the pragmatists' perspective, why is Paul Ryan hated? He says he's an ardent Ayn Rand fan, and for all we know, he's playing the game to move up the ladder. Wouldn't it be awesome for an actual Objectivist to be in control of what the House of Representatives votes on? What would accomplish more, an Objectivist holding the purse, or a moderate libertarian-leaning politician moderating further and inheriting a position that is largely symbolic and rhetorically driven, valued not for its ability to push through legislation, but for its use of the office as a platform to espouse political philosophy?

I agree hes the lesser of evils.

erowe1
10-17-2013, 01:51 PM
he's playing both sides of the fence...covering his bases. He's a snake. Fuck this fuck wad.

Sure. But why?

erowe1
10-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome for an actual Objectivist to be in control of what the House of Representatives votes on?

Not really.

eduardo89
10-17-2013, 01:56 PM
I'd take Ryan over Cantor of Boehner.

bunklocoempire
10-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Is Ryan offended this time or not? 'Cause ya know last time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyJBZYz858M

"This bill offends my principles, but I'm going to vote for this bill in order to preserve my principles." - Paul Ryan

Sooo... he digs Boehner? ...or...?

Screw 'em. Screw all the TARP voters.

Cutlerzzz
10-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Ryan begged congress to pass TARP, he also voted for the auto bailouts, he voted for Medicare Part D, Iraq, repeatedly voted to extend unemployment, and voted for numerous budget deficits. Most of you are aware of this already, but he is no better than the rest of the party.

erowe1
10-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Ryan begged congress to pass TARP, he also voted for the auto bailouts, he voted for Medicare Part D, Iraq, repeatedly voted to extend unemployment, and voted for numerous budget deficits. Most of you are aware of this already, but he is no better than the rest of the party.

That's the point.

10-17-2013, 02:13 PM

That doesn't make him no better unless you are an absolutist. He's done better than the average moderate gop representative.

ctiger2
10-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Cantor, Boner & Ryan need to be purged from office.

Brian4Liberty
10-17-2013, 02:16 PM
That doesn't make him no better unless you are an absolutist. He's done better than the average moderate gop representative.

Do you work in the same department as Zippy? How many people are assigned to RPF?

erowe1
10-17-2013, 02:17 PM
He's done better than the average moderate gop representative.

How do you figure that?

Madison320
10-17-2013, 02:19 PM

What good is an Ayn Rand fan who contantly votes to increase government size and power? Have you looked at Ryan's voting record? I don't give a crap what a politician says, I only care about how he votes.

gwax23
10-17-2013, 02:29 PM
I take it back screw ryan.

Brett85
10-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Ryan wouldn't be any better as speaker than Boehner.

NIU Students for Liberty
10-17-2013, 03:33 PM

Um, that's not being an absolutist. That makes him the "average moderate GOP representative" (whatever criteria is required for that label).

Cutlerzzz
10-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Ryan wouldn't be any better as speaker than Boehner.

But he would tragically give people the impression that the GOP put up a hard line fiscal consevative, reinvigorating the base around the GOP establishment.

NIU Students for Liberty
10-17-2013, 05:14 PM
But he would tragically give people the impression that the GOP put up a hard line fiscal consevative, reinvigorating the base around the GOP establishment.

That was why I hated it when Bachmann was bragging that she read Mises.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Ryan. LOL. Some people never learn.

Bastiat's The Law
10-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Raul Labrador should be Speaker, he's a million times better than Boehner or Ryan. Ryan is a faux fiscal conservative.

10-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Raul Labrador should be Speaker, he's a million times better than Boehner or Ryan. Ryan is a faux fiscal conservative.

He'd be better but does he have a high enough profile to win the speakership?