PDA

View Full Version : NSA Director and Deputy Director expected to leave soon

tsai3904
10-16-2013, 03:06 PM
The director of the U.S. National Security Agency and his deputy are expected to depart in the coming months, U.S. officials said on Wednesday, in a development that could give President Barack Obama a chance to reshape the eavesdropping agency.

Army General Keith Alexander's eight-year tenure was rocked this year by revelations contained in documents leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden about the agency's widespread scooping up of telephone, e-mail and social media data.

Alexander has formalized plans to leave by next March or April, while his civilian deputy, John "Chris" Inglis, is due to retire by year's end, according to U.S. officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

More:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/16/us-usa-nsa-transition-idUSBRE99F12W20131016

Anti-Neocon
10-16-2013, 07:12 PM
I thought Edward Snowden failed to accomplish anything ;)

thoughtomator
10-16-2013, 07:39 PM
They're probably moving on to cush jobs at Craft International and Booz Allen Hamilton.

milgram
10-17-2013, 10:19 PM
It will be interesting to watch how the next director is chosen.

Previously the NSA sought to bypass Senate confirmation of new directors if at all possible -- Russ Tice spoke to this in one of his podcast interviews (with Corbett IIRC). I believe directors like Alexander were promoted in rank, allowing them to avoid a confirmation process. That's one reason we barely heard about Alexander until the leaks.

And I wish I could cite some sources here, but I remember reading about an Obama veto threat to a past intelligence funding bill that (in part) required NSA directors to face congressional approval. Seems like that requirement was eventually withdrawn...

Anyway, it would be great if Congress found the stones to demand confirmation hearings for our next global surveillance overlord.

fearthereaperx
10-17-2013, 10:58 PM
I believe directors like Alexander were promoted in rank, allowing them to avoid a confirmation process

Couldn't that be a good thing?

milgram
10-18-2013, 03:35 PM
I'd prefer to have nominees face some on-camera questioning by the Senate to fill out a news cycle or two. Anything to increase the amount of oversight, if only slightly.