PDA

View Full Version : Dershowitz throws the constitution, figuratively, at Ted Cruz

aGameOfThrones
10-16-2013, 12:34 PM
After praising Cruz as a student, as he had done earlier this year, Dershowitz leveled some harsh claims against him.

“He has to qualify among the brightest of the students,” Dershowitz said, who added that Cruz is deeply principled.

But when it came to the shutdown and debt-ceiling fight, Dershowitz made his case.

“I think it raises very serious constitutional questions of the kind that Ted Cruz should be interested in. Could you imagine Hamilton and Madison sitting around and drafting the Constitution and the Federalist Papers. They’re talking about how the government has to pay its debts, how it has to secure the credit of the United States, how the House of Representatives to originate bills on revenue. Nobody in a million years would have contemplated the power of Congress to shut down the government, to create doubts about our creditworthiness,” he said.

“I think you can make a very strong argument that what Ted Cruz is doing is deeply unconstitutional. Whether a court would accept that or say it’s a political question is another issue, but Cruz is a principled man. He ought to look at the Constitution and look into his heart and ask himself, ‘What would Alexander Hamilton have done,’” Dershowitz said.

The comments quickly found their way to the Internet and got an equally quick response from author and radio show host Mark Levin.

“Dershowitz is dead wrong. We don’t have to imagine anything,” he told the Newsbusters website. “Congress and only Congress can authorize borrowing under Article I. The president must first pay interest on the debt under the 14th Amendment. The federal government collects 10 times as much revenue each month as it needs to cover those payments. As long as the president complies with the Constitution there can be no default. This is basic stuff. Even a Harvard law professor like Dershowitz should comprehend it.”

http://news.yahoo.com/dershowitz-throws-constitution-figuratively-ted-cruz-141406725--politics.html

WM_in_MO
10-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Alexander Hamilton would have had a central bank print us into the black.

donnay
10-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Dershowitz is a putz.

thoughtomator
10-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Dershowitz is factually wrong here. Someone send him the relevant Federalist Papers excerpt - I know it exists, I can't recall it offhand though. Bet someone here can.

Brian4Liberty
10-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Dershowitz is a prime example of this:

Here's what they do believe in: they believe in a vast legal system, where all laws are open to debate and litigation. A system where any position can be defended or attacked on a "legal" basis. A system where the most powerful generally get their way, regardless of the letter or intent of the law. A system where anything can be justified. A system which enables power to reside with those with the most knowledge of the law, and how to use and manipulate it. A system where maximum employment is enjoyed for all those who desire to support, sustain and profit from the legal system.

They believe in no law at all, expertly disguised as a society fully enveloped in law.

The Constitution is the worst sort of law for them. It's far too clear, simple and supreme. The best law in their eyes is ambiguous, convoluted, complex and with no priorities at all.

erowe1
10-16-2013, 01:20 PM
The thing I notice is that Dershowitz believes that Cruz looks up to Alexander Hamilton.

And I bet Dershowitz is right about that.

rich34
10-16-2013, 02:26 PM
The thing I notice is that Dershowitz believes that Cruz looks up to Alexander Hamilton.

And I bet Dershowitz is right about that.

With a Goldman Sachs wife you can bet your Ass on that! The man is simply trying to ride Rand's coattails in rhetoric and then like a Nascar driver hopes to slingshot by in the last moments by pulling outta the draft. Best analogy I could come up with. Cruz however smart he thinks he may be is still miles behind Rand in political chess and that's a huge advantage to Rand n company.