PDA

View Full Version : News media reports debt ceiling crisis resolved! Before it passes in the House.

Madison320
10-16-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm driving to lunch today, it's 1 pm ET. ABC news comes on, trumpets blaring, "A historic bipartisan deal on the debt ceiling has been reached to avert disaster!" Then they go on to describe the details and I'm thinking to myself, I knew the republicans would cave, my gold is going up. Then, as an after thought they mention that it still needs to get passed in the House. Like reading the fine print. Is this a deliberate attempt to make the House Republicans look bad if they don't sign it?

AngryCanadian
10-16-2013, 11:57 AM
From the New York Times.

Senator McConnell agreed that yesterday’s vote “sent a powerful message,” adding, “If the American people think that just because they voted us into office and pay our salaries, benefits, and pensions, we are somehow obliged to listen to them, they are sorely mistaken.”

The Senate had an secret vote in the Senate Yesterday as they kept the news media out.

juleswin
10-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Last min vote to carry on business as usual? I saw it coming a mile away, not shocked at all.

Madison320
10-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Last min vote to carry on business as usual? I saw it coming a mile away, not shocked at all.

I know but doesn't it have to pass in both the Senate AND House? My point is that the news media is reporting this as a DONE DEAL when it is NOT. At least not officially. Haven't there been several debt ceiling bills that passed the House and were rejected by the Senate and vice versa in this process? Why is it a done deal on this iteration? Am I missing something?

Kords21
10-16-2013, 12:21 PM
We all know that Dewey defeated Truman right? The newspapers declared it. I think the deal hinges upon if Boehner want's to stay as speaker or not.

Feeding the Abscess
10-16-2013, 12:24 PM
They have contact with leadership in both parties. Boehner probably said he'd bring up a vote to the floor, and Pelosi probably said democrats would vote for it. That's why news outlets are saying that.

Madison320
10-16-2013, 12:32 PM
They have contact with leadership in both parties. Boehner probably said he'd bring up a vote to the floor, and Pelosi probably said democrats would vote for it. That's why news outlets are saying that.

Maybe they have inside information but I still think it's irresponsible to declare a deal before it passes. Imagine the headlines if the House votes it down, "Tea Party Terrorists Sabotage Country!!!"

dannno
10-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Wouldn't be the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7SwOT29gbc

DamianTV
10-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah, how'd they fix it again? Take out ANOTHER Loan to make payments on the EXISTING Loan?

CPUd
10-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Maybe they have inside information but I still think it's irresponsible to declare a deal before it passes. Imagine the headlines if the House votes it down, "Tea Party Terrorists Sabotage Country!!!"

They need 18 GOPs in the House to vote for it. Reporters probably called the offices until they got >18 soft yes.

Madison320
10-16-2013, 04:00 PM
They need 18 GOPs in the House to vote for it. Reporters probably called the offices until they got >18 soft yes.

That makes sense.

AngryCanadian
10-16-2013, 04:11 PM
It seems the Guardian can predict the future.

• The bill is expected to pass both houses. The bill would then be sent to the White House for signature. The government could reopen Thursday morning after 16 days of closure.