PDA

View Full Version : Senators Congratulates Each Other on Courage to Stand Up to the American People!

No1butPaul
10-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Watching them congratulate each other just makes me ill.

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In the halls of the United States Senate, dozens of Senators congratulated themselves today for having what one of them called “the courage and grit to stand up to the overwhelming wishes of the American people.”

“We kept hearing, again and again, that ninety per cent of the American people wanted us to vote a certain way,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky). “Well, at the end of the day, we decided that we weren’t going to cave in to that kind of special-interest group.”

“It was a gut check, for sure, but we had to draw a line in the sand,” agreed Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S. Carolina). “If we had voted the way the American people wanted us to, it would have sent the message that we’re here in Washington to be nothing more than their elected representatives."

Calling yesterday’s Senate action “a bipartisan effort,” Senator Mark Pryor (D-Arkansas) said, “This proves that on a matter that affects the safety of every man, woman, and child in the nation, we can reach across the aisle to defy the interests of all of them.”

Senator McConnell agreed that yesterday’s vote “sent a powerful message,” adding, “If the American people think that just because they voted us into office and pay our salaries, benefits, and pensions, we are somehow obliged to listen to them, they are sorely mistaken.”

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/04/courageous-senators-stand-up-to-american-people.html

anaconda
10-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Is this from the Onion?

Christian Liberty
10-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I was going to say, there's no way they actually said that.

No1butPaul
10-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Is this from the Onion?

It's from the New Yorker ... you know the funny thing, after about 3 or 4 rounds of senators congratulating themselves, I had to turn it off and totally bought those comments! It really wasn't a far stretch from their actual comments.

AngryCanadian
10-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Is this an Joke?

In the halls of the United States Senate, dozens of Senators congratulated themselves today for having what one of them called “the courage and grit to stand up to the overwhelming wishes of the American people.

“Well, at the end of the day, we decided that we weren’t going to cave in to that kind of special-interest group.”

Wait so they had an Vote yesterday?

Senator McConnell agreed that yesterday’s vote

GregSarnowski
10-16-2013, 12:13 PM
It is a daily satirical column but the fact that is even in question shows how far gone we are.

liberalnurse
10-16-2013, 12:28 PM
It's also from April 2013.

Cutlerzzz
10-16-2013, 12:32 PM
A government shouldn't cave into public pressure and the majorities opinion should play no part in their decisions. The government making wrong decisions (like existing) is a problem, but let's not praising mob rule.

Dr.3D
10-16-2013, 12:36 PM
How dare the representatives represent the people? We all know they are royalty and Obamacare is only for the mundane.

anaconda
10-17-2013, 12:05 AM
It's from the New Yorker ... you know the funny thing, after about 3 or 4 rounds of senators congratulating themselves, I had to turn it off and totally bought those comments! It really wasn't a far stretch from their actual comments.

I fell for this New Yorker column yesterday...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?430584-Rand-Paul-Proposes-Opening-Enough-Government-To-Investigate-Benghazi

It truly sounded like something Rand would say, except for the part about "Americans suffering because of Benghazi."