PDA

View Full Version : NYC-Doomberg pushes for mandatory children's flu vaccinations.

Anti Federalist
10-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Kid flu vaccinations among final Bloomberg health mandates

http://www.thenewyorkworld.com/2013/09/20/health-mandates/

With the clock running out on its final term, the Bloomberg administration is pushing two assertive new mandates through the city’s Board of Health.

The city Department of Health wants to require all children under age 5 in city-licensed day care programs receive annual flu vaccinations. And in a move with heightened relevance following the Washington Navy Yard massacre, the city is calling on hospitals to report personal details on patients admitted for psychosis to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

Both items are on the agenda for the next Board of Health meeting, on October 22.

The proposed rules follow the administration’s so-far thwarted effort to impose a ban on supersize sodas and other sugary drinks, which judges have ruled overreached the board’s powers. The members of the board are appointed by the mayor.

Under the new proposals, hospitals in the city would have to promptly report the identities of patients between the ages of 18 and 30 admitted for psychotic incidents. The city health agency intends to follow up with the patients to ensure they receive further treatment. Currently, fewer than half actually get such care.

“Without follow-up treatment, more than one quarter of these individuals will be expected to relapse and to be rehospitalized within one year,” the Department of Health explains in its plan. “Early, high-quality treatment can reduce the risk of relapse and increase chances for long-term remission.”

The department promises that the personal information collected – to include the patient’s name, age, gender, address, telephone number, insurance type and diagnosis – would be destroyed within 30 days. The remaining data would be made available for epidemiological studies.

A Department of Health spokesperson was not available for comment.

The collection of personal data on people with high risk of paranoia raises a red flag for Mark Heyrman, who teaches mental health law at the University of Chicago Law School.

“The more we say we will be collecting data on people who have mental illnesses, the more likely it is that mentally ill people will think that the information might eventually be used against them in some way,” said Heyrman. “The question is whether there will be enough positive effects to outweigh the fact that, as our friend Edward Snowden has shown us, our government is not particularly good at protecting its own privacy efforts.”

The flu vaccination would join an existing list of required doses — which include diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, poliomyelitis, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, hepatitis B and haemophilus — but would be the only one that must be administered annually. The health department cites studies finding that young children have the highest rate of infections, and asserts that vaccinating them protects the entire city.

Vaccination requirements have faced objections before from a small but vocal contingent of parents. Patricia Finn, a lawyer who has sued the city for vaccination exemptions, said that the review process for obtaining waivers from the city and state is getting harder, particularly since the 2009 H1N1 scare.

Finn is currently representing a Staten Island family in federal court in an attempt to receive an exemption for their daughter.

“Children get 88 doses of diseases by the age of 5 in New York City,” said Finn. As for the proposed new flu vaccine requirement, she said that as she learned of it, “I almost fell out of my chair.”

The New York City law provides a religious exemption but does not provide an opt-out for families opposed to vaccinations for other reasons.

The department notes that both New Jersey and Connecticut have passed laws requiring children under 5 to be vaccinated annually if they attend child care or preschool programs.

If the rule is approved by the Board of Health, schools and child care centers must maintain records showing that all enrolled children have received that year’s flu shot or they will be subjected to fines.

ONUV
12-16-2013, 07:42 PM
the new marxist mayor is for it too.

angelatc
12-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Meh, we've already hashed out that Bloomberg is an ass. Shame you didn't pick a better title, because this article has stuff in it that hasn't already been beat to death.

“The more we say we will be collecting data on people who have mental illnesses, the more likely it is that mentally ill people will think that the information might eventually be used against them in some way,” said Heyrman.

Golly Wilbur! It isn't paranoia if it's true, meaning that ironically, this could possibly be the most sane thing those people might ever say.

donnay
12-16-2013, 08:19 PM
“Children get 88 doses of diseases by the age of 5 in New York City,” said Finn. As for the proposed new flu vaccine requirement, she said that as she learned of it, “I almost fell out of my chair.”

This is critical to understand. "88 doses of diseases by age 5" SMH There little brains and bodies cannot handle that load.

I think it has to come down to a parent or family member watching children and homeschool them. This would put a dent in all this authoritarian garbage.

DamianTV
12-16-2013, 08:27 PM
“The more we say we will be collecting data on people who have mental illnesses, the more likely it is that mentally ill people will think that the information might eventually be used against them in some way,” said Heyrman.

Because all Veterans are mentally ill and should not be allowed to have guns.

Its not that mental illnesses dont exist, I believe they do. But its not the Vets or the people they accuse of being mentally ill that actually have the mental illness. Instead, I think it is people like Heyrman that have the mental illness of paranoia, which is apparently highly contagious as many people in Congress have the same damn mental illness.

Example: Cops that taze 5 year olds. Thats a Mental Illness. Wall Street and Congress addicted to money, thats a Mental Illness. Seeing Terrorists in otherwise normal people, thats a Mental Illness.

Mental Illness can also be indicated by a persons inability to tell Right from Wrong. People diagnosed with these Mental Illnesses are usually declared being Unfit to Stand Trial. Yet, punishment by imprisonment and revocation of Rights remains almost exactly the same. Not saying that such decisions are unreasonable, I wouldnt want a person that goes into seizures daily to be able to drive. However, the point is that if they are unable to tell Right from Wrong, how many of the Members of Congress exhibit characteristics of this Mental Illness? And even more to the point, if Congress could be declared as being Unfit to Stand Trial, why should they be given the Authority to decide what is Right and Wrong when they obviously are unable to tell the difference?

Mental Illness absolutely does exist, and is often rewarded for practicing those Mentally Ill behaviors if that person holds any position in Govt.

WM_in_MO
12-16-2013, 08:55 PM
From my farcebook (Thanks AF for sharing the article)
Bloomberg:
No, you don't have a choice. GET THE DAMN FLU SHOT OR GET OUT OF MY TOWN.
Psychotic control freaks like him are why I don't live in the borders of major cities.
They seem drawn to it. They think they own you, and in most cases they get away with it. Hell, some people (I use that word loosely, I'd call them sheep but that would be insulting to sheep) even CHEER when they roll out a new diktat regarding something you have to do or something you cannot do.