PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Greenwald Will Leave Guardian To Create New News Organization

CaseyJones
10-15-2013, 02:58 PM
http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/exclusive-glenn-greenwald-will-leave-guardian-to-create-new

The reporter who broke the NSA story promises “a momentous new venture.” A “very substantial new media outlet” with serious backing, he says.

Glenn Greenwald, the lawyer and blogger who brought the Guardian the biggest scoop of the decade, is departing the London-based news organization, for a brand new, large-scale, broadly-focused media outlet, he told BuzzFeed Tuesday.

Greenwald, 46, published revelations from former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden about the extent of American and British domestic spying and about officials deception about its scope. He said he is departing for a new, “once-in-a-career dream journalistic opportunity” with major financial backing whose details will be public soon.

“My partnership with the Guardian has been extremely fruitful and fulfilling: I have high regard for the editors and journalists with whom I worked and am incredibly proud of what we achieved,” Greenwald said in an emailed statement. “The decision to leave was not an easy one, but I was presented with a once-in-a-career dream journalistic opportunity that no journalist could possibly decline.”

brushfire
10-15-2013, 03:20 PM
He should join Ben Swann.

amy31416
10-15-2013, 03:29 PM
I think it may only have the effect of decreasing his visibility.

Strange timing.

tangent4ronpaul
10-15-2013, 03:35 PM

Strange timing.

Rendition in 5, 4, 3, 2...

If it's too good to believe, it probably is.

-t

Uriel999
10-15-2013, 03:45 PM

Strange timing.

Maybe...heck maybe that is what he actually wants. If I had the NSA gunning for me I might like to decrease my profile!

brushfire
10-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Maybe...heck maybe that is what he actually wants. If I had the NSA gunning for me I might like to decrease my profile!

There is no such thing as "Freedom of the Press" in the UK (some may say the same for the US). Glenn may have found his collar getting a bit hot, or his presence may be putting his employer in an uncomfortable position with "the state". We'd seen the same thing happen to the speakers of truth in the US - most recently, Ben Swann.

There's no doubt that both would have had more resources at their disposal, while staying with their employers. Still, the political influence would come as a cost...

Not that I'm some brainiac for figuring it out, but I fully expected this to happen. To both Ben, and now, Glenn.

The good news... there's a growing market for truth these days.

fr33
10-15-2013, 04:04 PM

jmdrake
10-15-2013, 04:07 PM

Strange timing.

My concern as well. It's nice to see hard hitting stories coming out in the "mainstream media" even if it is foreign.

brushfire
10-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Q: Many of us wondered if there was any pressure from Fox (as a Fox affiliate) to tone down your message, since it wasn’t exactly party-line.
Swann: The station I worked for is not owned by Fox network or NewsCorp, however I did get push back from our own corporate offices. Even so, I continued to push and was blessed by the room they gave me to report.

I'm sure there's a point where there's too much pressure to bear. This is just based on the arm twisting we see - not even mentioning the arm twisting that goes unseen. I could be wrong, but I believe what we are seeing is a type of "professional courtesy".

Lucille
10-15-2013, 04:32 PM
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-10-15/glenn-greenwald-leaving-guardian-starting-new-venture

Amusingly, the news of Greenwald's departure was "leaked" before he was fully prepared to announce it. Define irony.

Funny.

I didn't RTFA but I wonder if he has a deal with The Guardian to publish the rest of the leaks what he has in their paper, or if he'll be publishing them on his own. He'd have more flexibility in publishing what he wants to if it's the latter.

mad cow
10-15-2013, 04:34 PM
He said he is departing for a new, “once-in-a-career dream journalistic opportunity” with major financial backing whose details will be public soon.

This could be great news.Waiting with bated breath.

GregSarnowski
10-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Cool. Hopefully he doesn't end up like Michael Hastings.

green73
10-15-2013, 05:06 PM

Strange timing.

Very strange. What could it possibly be? HBO?

jkr
10-15-2013, 05:09 PM
He should join Ben Swann.
thats what im saying
put all this under Genesis and consolidate your market

ron, tolley, alex JoNeS, swanniee
all of it

ONE
CHANNEL
TO RULE
THEM ALL

FTtv <<<<TRADE MARK 10/2013

torchbearer
10-15-2013, 05:13 PM
thats what im saying
put all this under Genesis and consolidate your market

ron, tolley, alex JoNeS, swanniee
all of it

ONE
CHANNEL
TO RULE
THEM ALL

FTtv <<<<TRADE MARK 10/2013

how about FTW-TV?

HOLLYWOOD
10-15-2013, 06:06 PM
He should join Ben Swann.You Betcha, with Amber Lyon too... and anyone else in media who were firedand/or resigned, for refusing to tell the Lies & Propaganda of FASCIST corporatist mind-control media.

tangent4ronpaul
10-15-2013, 07:23 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/15/us-usa-security-greenwald-idUSBRE99E18D20131015

leaving the Guardian newspaper to join a new media venture funded by eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, according to people familiar with the matter.
Two sources familiar with the new venture said the financial backer was Omidyar. It was not immediately clear if he was the only backer or if there were other partners.

Omidyar could not immediately be reached for comment.

Omidyar, who is chairman of the board at eBay Inc but is not involved in day-to-day operations at the company, has numerous philanthropic, business and political interests, mainly through an investment entity called the Omidyar Network.

Forbes pegged the 46-year-old Omidyar's net worth at $8.5 billion.

Among his ventures is Honolulu Civil Beat, a news website covering public affairs in Hawaii. Civil Beat aimed to create a new online journalism model with paid subscriptions and respectful comment threads, though it is unclear how successful it has been.

Omidyar, a French-born Iranian-American, also founded the Democracy Fund to support "social entrepreneurs working to ensure that our political system is responsive to the public," according to its website.

Omidyar's active Twitter account suggests he is very concerned about the government spying programs exposed by Greenwald and Snowden.

-t

VoluntaryAmerican
10-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Great news. bump

green73
10-15-2013, 08:24 PM
I love you guys more than anyone else (save for about ten regular posters whom I hate more than Bill Kristol) but bless you, when you say things like maybe he'll come aboard with Swann, I just want to pinch your cheeks for five seconds and say coochycoo before slapping the shit out of you.

BenIsForRon
10-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Wow, at first I was thinking it's a bad idea for Glenn to be leaving something as large and reputable as the Guardian, but apparently this venture is funded by at least one multi-billionare. That gives it much better prospects for success. It'll still be an uphill battle in a world where a lot of people go to CNN.com to get their news. Glenn will definitely need some serious marketing and PR people to help bring this to the masses.

I hope they hire on Ben Swann. Can't wait to hear more.

limequat
10-15-2013, 08:33 PM
This could possibly be the best thing to happen to Liberty since Ron Paul.

amy31416
10-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I love you guys more than anyone else (save for about ten regular posters whom I hate more than Bill Kristol) but bless you, when you say things like maybe he'll come aboard with Swann, I just want to pinch your cheeks for five seconds and say coochycoo before slapping the shit out of you.

Dammit. Just repped you for something else. :D

Occam's Banana
10-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Dammit. Just repped you for something else. :D

Me too ... :)

better-dead-than-fed
10-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Yesterday word leaked out that Glenn Greenwald would be leaving The Guardian to help create some new thing backed by Pierre Omidyar, the founder of eBay. I just got off the phone with Omidyar. So I can report more details about what the new thing is and how it came to be.

Here’s the story he told me:

http://pressthink.org/2013/10/why-pierre-omidyar-decided-to-join-forces-with-glenn-greenwald-for-a-new-venture-in-news/

mad cow
10-16-2013, 02:52 PM
http://pressthink.org/2013/10/why-pierre-omidyar-decided-to-join-forces-with-glenn-greenwald-for-a-new-venture-in-news/

Thanks for the link,good article,well worth reading.From your link:

NewCo is new venture— a company not a charity. It is not a project of Omidyar Network. It is separate from his philanthropy, he said. He said he will be putting a good deal of his time, as well as his capital, into it. I asked how large a commitment he was prepared to make in dollars. For starters: the $250 million it would have taken to buy the Washington Post.

milgram
10-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Surprising to hear this, although I recall he originally considered releasing the Snowden leaks on his own.

The Guardian kind of sucked anyway TBH. The overmoderated comment sections were full of deleted comments that failed to conform with the website's restrictive content standards. And too many other columnists were bleating social justice warriors, forever making pages over some trumped up trifle.

AngryCanadian
10-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Good i am glad he should be leaving that horrid self predicting news organization.

purplechoe
10-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Surprising to hear this, although I recall he originally considered releasing the Snowden leaks on his own.

The Guardian kind of sucked anyway TBH. The overmoderated comment sections were full of deleted comments that failed to conform with the website's restrictive content standards. And too many other columnists were bleating social justice warriors, forever making pages over some trumped up trifle.

Well, although he agrees with us on foreign policy and civil liberties, I don't think he will be shouting "End the Fed!"

I've been a fan of his for a few years now because I respect his calling out his fellow progressives on their double standards.

With that said I wish him luck, we need more like him out there...

http://www.theeverlastinggopstoppers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/greenwald-meme.png

Carson
10-16-2013, 06:55 PM
My first thought when I read the original posters post was, "Big money" whoa brother. The only big money I'm thinking is the counterfeit.

Then later it occurred to me how is he going to leave the Guardian and leave with his notes and body of work? I would think those would be the property of the Guardian.

brushfire
10-16-2013, 07:16 PM
My first thought when I read the original posters post was, "Big money" whoa brother. The only big money I'm thinking is the counterfeit.

Then later it occurred to me how is he going to leave the Guardian and leave with his notes and body of work? I would think those would be the property of the Guardian.

I'm sure the Guardian wants him, his files, and his notes gone. Nice working with ya Glenn, ol chap - its been swell mate, sorry to see you go - gbye <door_slam>

Carson
10-16-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm sure the Guardian wants him, his files, and his notes gone. Nice working with ya Glenn, ol chap - its been swell mate, sorry to see you go - gbye <door_slam>

But they are a business. I would think they would value those assets.

I would imagine others would like to see things happen other than the information walk away and try and make it worth their while.

This whole deal could turn into a never ending court case...or worm can of cases.