PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland police suspend 63 officers over deadly chase

CaseyJones
10-15-2013, 11:43 AM
http://www.myfoxny.com/Story/23695543/cleveland-police-suspend-63-officers-over-deadly-chase

A review of a deadly police chase in Cleveland nearly a year ago has led to suspensions for 63 patrol officers who violated orders and department rules, the city's police chief said Tuesday.

A fleeing driver and passenger were killed when officers fired 137 shots at them in the 23-minute chase that involved five dozen cruisers and wove through residential neighborhoods before ending in gunfire.

Police Chief Michael McGrath said the suspensions were the result of disciplinary hearings, and violations ranged from insubordination to driving too fast during the chase.

The hearings did not involve any of the officers involved in the shooting because a county grand jury is investigating possible criminal wrongdoing among the 13 officers who fired their weapons. No weapon or shell casings were found in the fleeing car.

An initial review of the chase found 75 patrol officers violated orders, but the disciplinary hearings reduced that number to 64 officers. All but one received a suspension, with the longest being 10 days, McGrath said.

None of the violations was so serious it warranted termination. Some of the officers received a written warning.

Police previously announced punishments for 12 supervisors stemming from the chase. One sergeant was fired. A captain and lieutenant were demoted, and nine sergeants were suspended.

aGameOfThrones
10-15-2013, 11:53 AM
None of the violations was so serious it warranted termination. Some of the officers received a written warning.

"There's NO Rule of Law... when the crime that is charged, not based upon what law was broken, but by who committed it."~HOLLYWOOD

tod evans
10-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Conspire to kill someone............A few days off.

"Just-Us"

2young2vote
10-15-2013, 04:25 PM
I really don't like the whole "car chase" idea. It seems to me that they are putting more lives in danger by chasing these people across the city than by simply letting them go and finding them later. If you ask me, if someone is willing to put other lives in danger to get away from the police, then they should take down the license number and attempt contact in another, less dangerous, way.

tod evans
10-15-2013, 04:26 PM
I really don't like the whole "car chase" idea. It seems to me that they are putting more lives in danger by chasing these people across the city than by simply letting them go and finding them later. If you ask me, if someone is willing to put other lives in danger to get away from the police, then they should take down the license number and attempt contact in another, less dangerous, way.

But what if they have "drugs"? :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
10-15-2013, 04:30 PM
But what if they have "drugs"? :rolleyes:

Or fondled children.

Or was drunk.

Or was beating their wife...My God, the list is endless....