PDA

View Full Version : Drunk dial Congress to tell them what you think of the shutdown

tangent4ronpaul
10-13-2013, 07:59 PM
It's better than shouting I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE! out of the window
http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/drunk-dial-congress-tell-them-what-you-think-shutdown

Remember that great speech in the movie Network (1976) where the newsanchor, Howard Beale, vents his frustration:

I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad! ...

Today there are many, many people mad as hell with Congress over the shutdown but the problem is how to voice that anger. Sure, you could shout out of your windows but other than perhaps getting carted off for a pysch evaluation probably not much else will happen. Nope, far better to vent your rage and frustration by by going to Drunkdialcongress.com. As the service explains:

Whether you are a furloughed worker, being forced to work for free, or just fed up at Capitol Hill ... Call & yell at a random member of congress ... As Members of Congress quickly returned from their final symbolic, non-effective and otherwise useless votes to avert a government shutdown, the heavy drinking began. Reports of our representatives getting plastered on the government's dime - the one we have left - have come bolic, non-effective and otherwise useless votes to avert a government shutdown, the heavy drinking began. Reports of our representatives getting plastered on the government's dime - the one we have left - have come streaming in from witnesses all over Capitol Hill. Now's your chance to tell your Representative what you really think of their actions.

The way the service works is you enter your phone number on the site and within a few seconds your phone will ring. You'll then be connected to the office of a random member of Congress whereupon you can berate him or her (or more probably one of their aides) for whatever it is you're mad about. Enough people do this and who know, maybe Congress will get the message.

The service is backended by Revolution Messaging, a company that provides telephone communications and mobile promotion services for corporate and political clients with offerings such a text and multimedia messaging and smartphone apps.

The Drunkdialcongress.com site also provides a selection of "Talking Points" should you be lost of words and if you feel the need for a stiff drink before, during, or after your call the site also provides a list of cocktail recipes that includes "The Fancy Statesman", "The Bloody Bastard", and "The Sleepy Senator."

So, is it crazy to send your message to Congress through Drunkdialcongress.com? To quote Howard Beale again:

This is not a psychotic breakdown; it's a cleansing moment of clarity.

-t

heavenlyboy34
10-13-2013, 08:08 PM
lolz :D Things like this illustrate the impotence of citizens in a constitutional/representative state.

Feeding the Abscess
10-13-2013, 08:14 PM
I'd just fart into the phone. Assuming I'd actually bother to call in.

JK/SEA
10-14-2013, 08:48 AM
what if i'm not mad about this 'so-called' shut down joke?

tangent4ronpaul
10-14-2013, 10:17 AM
what if i'm not mad about this 'so-called' shut down joke?

Bet you are mad. Mad that it's a joke. Mad that they shut down the only things ppl like and the pettiness of it all while keeping open all the repressive stuff you'd like to see shut down...

-t

Occam's Banana
10-14-2013, 02:34 PM
It's better than shouting I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE! out of the window.

No it isn't. Remember TARP?

Which senator was it (Boxer? Feinstein?) who admitted in Congressional session that she had gotten overwhelmingly negative and angry feedback on TARP (something along the lines of 80% against) - but that she was just going to ignore that fact and vote for TARP anyway?

It is increasingly obvious that anything to do with Congress is just a diversionary facade ... and in any case, the idea of "representative democracy" in a society of almost 1/3rd of a BILLION people is a complete and utter joke.