PDA

View Full Version : Pepper spray in Bellingham Wash.

tod evans
10-13-2013, 06:13 AM
Wash. police: Hundreds of college-age revelers clash with officers

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/13/wash-police-hundreds-college-age-revelers-clash-with-officers/?intcmp=trending

BELLINGHAM, WASH. Authorities say that hundreds of college-age revelers in Washington state clashed with police, who responded with pepper spray to help disperse them.

Police Sgt. Mike Scanlon says there were multiple arrests during the melee late Saturday and early Sunday in Bellingham.

He says the situation with an intoxicated crowd turned into "pretty much an out and out riot."

The unrest began as police broke up a large party with many revelers then moving to a nearby park, where they were joined by others until up to 500 people had gathered.

Scanlon says that as police tried to clear the park the crowd began hurling projectiles.

The police response included pepper spray and it took about 45 minutes to clear the area.

Scanlon said that he didn't have a more exact figure on arrests. And he said he didn't know if there were any injuries.

Wash. police: College revelers clash with officers

http://www.theolympian.com/2013/10/13/2773629/wash-police-college-revelers-class.html

BELLINGHAM, WASH. Hundreds of college-age revelers in Washington state thwarted in efforts to continue a large party threw projectiles at police who responded with pepper spray to disperse them, officials said.

Multiple partiers were arrested during the melee late Saturday and early Sunday in Bellingham, according to police Sgt. Mike Scanlon.

"There was drinking, it became disorderly and pretty much an out and out riot," he told The Associated Press.

He said the unrest began as police dispersed a noisy party that had drawn a few hundred people.

Many of the revelers then moved to nearby Laurel Park, where they were joined by even more people, Scanlon said, calling it a "large, intoxicated, disorderly crowd."

The situation "finally boiled over," he said. 'They began hurling projectiles at police."

Up to 500 people had converged on the park as police worked to disperse them, at one point using pepper spray, Scanlon said.

It took about 45 minutes to clear the area and restore order.

Scanlon said that there were multiple arrests but he didn't have an exact figure. And he said he didn't know if there were any injuries.

Bellingham, home to Western Washington University, is located about 75 miles north of Seattle.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-13-2013, 06:21 AM
I would bet that the intoxication had less to do with the students' alcohol, but rather more to do with the pigs being drunk on power.

tod evans
10-13-2013, 06:23 AM
The lack of APC's mentioned worries me, how could the brave officers be assured of their safety?

fr33
10-13-2013, 08:38 AM
When I read the word "clash" I immediately picture swords banging on shields.

Origanalist
10-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Bellingham is too close to Canada. I blame Canada.

JK/SEA
10-13-2013, 10:45 AM
damn pot heads...

wait...''alcohol fueled''

nevermind.

Icymudpuppy
10-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Greek row getting out of hand again.

Keeping the peace is one thing officers are supposed to do. Drunken frat fools rampaging around town destroying property is a fairly common problem in a lot of college towns. I'm going to have to side with police and property owners on this one.

Key word in the 1st Amendment is "Peaceably" Drunken frat parties are far from peaceable. When they get out of hand, the community has a right to protect their property.

Origanalist
10-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Greek row getting out of hand again.

Keeping the peace is one thing officers are supposed to do. Drunken frat fools rampaging around town destroying property is a fairly common problem in a lot of college towns. I'm going to have to side with police and property owners on this one.

Key word in the 1st Amendment is "Peaceably" Drunken frat parties are far from peaceable. When they get out of hand, the community has a right to protect their property.

I agree. Drunken mobs aren't covered in the bill of rights.

mrsat_98
10-13-2013, 03:02 PM
I agree. Drunken mobs aren't covered in the bill of rights.

its covered here (http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec1.html)

surf
10-13-2013, 03:40 PM
at UW we used to joke that the difference between Western and us was that their kegs at parties drained into the sink while ours drained into garbage cans...

not really a noted party school or a very large school and I don't remember them having a "Greek system"