PDA

View Full Version : Ted Cruz crushes field in VVS straw poll, Rand gets 4th

CaseyJones
10-12-2013, 03:18 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/12/cruz-crushes-field-presidential-straw-poll-values-/

Sen. Ted Cruz trounced the competition in the presidential straw poll at the 2013 Values Voters Summit, with Dr. Ben Carson and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum coming in a distant second and third places — highlighting how Mr. Cruz has become a rock star with grassroots conservatives.

Tony Perkins, the head of the Family Research Council, which hosted the three—day event, announced that Mr. Cruz won 42 percent of the vote, while Mr. Carson and Mr. Santorum each captured 13 percent.

Mr. Paul finished in fourth place in the straw poll with 6 percent of the vote and Mr. Rubio finished fifth with 5 percent of the vote.

“Right now, Ted Cruz is really the leader of the conservative movement,” said Mason Griffin, 17, of Arkansas. “He is trying to push forward and get Obamacare out and get conservative back and strong.”

alucard13mm
10-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Not too concern if Cruz is ahead of Rand, just as long as Cruz doesnt run and endorses Rand.

We will see in 2016 if Cruz is really our friend. If Cruz is our friend, he can win in 2020 with the support of most people here. People here are just suspicious of Cruz for being a wolf in sheeps clothing. Truth is no one knows until 2016.

Cruz owes Rand and Ron...

compromise
10-12-2013, 03:26 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/12/cruz-crushes-field-presidential-straw-poll-values-/

How did Carson do so well among the Values Voters?

Isn't he more known for being an anti-Obamacare fiscal conservative rather than a social conservative?

Also, is he really seen that highly as a presidential candidate?

ObiRandKenobi
10-12-2013, 03:46 PM
two words michele bachmann

Anti Federalist
10-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Values Voter's Summit.

Yah, these are the people that booed Ron for quoting Christ.

"Values", my aching ass.

If this mob is used to choose another GOP dead ender, the GOP deserves to lose, again.

surf
10-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Cruz isn't one of us, and this shows that "value" voters aren't either.

muzzled dogg
10-12-2013, 04:01 PM
2015 VVS matters

TruckinMike
10-12-2013, 04:01 PM
I hope I am wrong but go ahead and quote me on this....

Cruz will run and cause another defeat for the Republican establishment. Like all politicians there are too many power hungry yes men/women at his side. They will convince him to run. He clearly will know that he is betraying Ron, Rand, and their supporters by doing so, but none the less -- He will still run.

Truckin'Mike 10/12/13

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7B7x_3bzoShPW66y3xA89pEdcp1tn-anzwmezT3yfQIS8kLv5wg

Lucille
10-12-2013, 04:13 PM
SMH

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWZr9alCIAIlMVB.jpg

Red Green
10-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Values Voter's Summit.

"Values", my aching ass.

If this mob is used to choose another GOP dead ender, the GOP deserves to lose, again.

^^^ this. To this crowd, all that counts is you are willing to flog someone to death with a bible.

Rand will always be viewed with suspicion among the bible-thumping crowd. They are inherently anti-liberty, desiring more of a pseudo-Christian theocracy.

JCDenton0451
10-12-2013, 04:41 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/12/cruz-crushes-field-presidential-straw-poll-values-/This is more proof (if we needed any) that the social conservatives don't care about Liberty. They're just obsessed with forcing their outdated sexual mores on everyone.

Warlord
10-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Values Voter's Summit.

"Values", my aching ass.

Whoever they get behind tends to lose so who cares? it's irrelevant.

No1butPaul
10-12-2013, 04:54 PM
This is more proof (if we needed any) that the social conservatives don't care about Liberty. They're just obsessed with forcing their outdated sexual mores on everyone.

Sure they care about liberty, religious liberty, as they should. Ted Cruz has opened a lot of eyes to liberty in the bigger sense. At this point, I consider him one of "us" -- but of course I realize that's just my opinion as obviously many here don't care for him. Nobody could win an election with us alone - that's been well proven!

Tony Perkins: “I think this [straw poll] is more a reflection of who has been out front on one of the most pressing issues; as I mentioned, Obamacare finished at the top three of our issues. Religious liberty was at the very top, which Obamacare is a direct assault on."
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/12/rubio-ryan-values-voters-straw-poll

JCDenton0451
10-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Sure they care about liberty, religious liberty, as they should. Tell me, what does contraception have to do with religious liberty, unless you believe that other people using contraception is an assault on your religious liberty?

James Madison
10-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Whoever they get behind tends to lose so who cares? it's irrelevant.

No, they dilute the anti-establishment vote and cause losers like Romney to get the nomination.

No1butPaul
10-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Tell me, what does contraception have to do with religious liberty, unless you believe that other people using contraception is an assault on your religious liberty?

We all have a right to life and liberty ... that includes an unborn child. That has been Ron Paul's position as well. Maybe I am missing your point ... I was responding directly to your comment that they the value voters didn't care about liberty, to paraphrase.

Red Green
10-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Santorum finished third. That says something about this crowd.

AngryCanadian
10-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Santorum finished third. That says something about this crowd.

They still want an Nutjob?

Theocrat
10-12-2013, 06:15 PM
^^^ this. To this crowd, all that counts is you are willing to flog someone to death with a bible.

Rand will always be viewed with suspicion among the bible-thumping crowd. They are inherently anti-liberty, desiring more of a pseudo-Christian theocracy.

That's a sweeping generalization, if I've ever seen one. I, for one, would endorse Sen. Rand Paul over Sen. Ted Cruz just because Sen. Paul is closer to my views on limited government, free markets, and foreign policy than Sen. Cruz. I thought Sen. Paul gave the best speech at that Values Voters Summit than most of the participants, so he would have gotten my vote in the straw poll.

So, then, how do you explain the fact that this theocrat supports Sen. Paul above the other participants of the "Values Voters Summit," all the while being considered by many to be a "Bible-thumper"?

jmdrake
10-12-2013, 06:24 PM

Cause he's a Christian?

Isn't he more known for being an anti-Obamacare fiscal conservative rather than a social conservative?

He's known first and foremost for being a Christian and having a cool back story of coming up from poverty thanks to a praying mother that persevered against all odds. While he doesn't wear his religion on his sleeve (Seventh-Day Adventist) he's been very up front about his faith even to the point of being dis-invited from being a commencement speaker because he believes in traditional marriage.

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/11/ben_carson_cancels_johns_hopkins_commencement_spee ch_over_anti_gay_remarks/

Well Rand wasn't a presidential candidate until he became a senator. That said I seriously don't think the other good doctor (Ben Carson) either is ready to run for president or wants to. He should be elected to something else first before doing the rough and tumble job of running for president.

surf
10-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Sure they care about liberty, religious liberty, as they should. Ted Cruz has opened a lot of eyes to liberty in the bigger sense. At this point, I consider him one of "us" -- but of course I realize that's just my opinion as obviously many here don't care for him. Nobody could win an election with us alone - that's been well proven!

Tony Perkins: “I think this [straw poll] is more a reflection of who has been out front on one of the most pressing issues; as I mentioned, Obamacare finished at the top three of our issues. Religious liberty was at the very top, which Obamacare is a direct assault on."
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/12/rubio-ryan-values-voters-straw-pollhe wants to kill Syrians and other folks.

explain again how this jibes with "religious liberty"

fr33
10-12-2013, 10:43 PM

Values Voters are morons. They voted for Romney. If Obama was a Republican, they'd be all for him.

Matt Collins
10-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Cruz isn't one of us, and this shows that "value" voters aren't either.
Ron won this in 2011, remember? :rolleyes:

Matt Collins
10-13-2013, 08:38 AM
This is more proof (if we needed any) that the social conservatives don't care about Liberty. Remember, when you are trying to win an election you just need to get someone's vote, which is a lot lower of a threshold, than changing their complete worldview or political philosophy.

Matt Collins
10-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Sample size is too small to be reflective of any general population at all

also Cruz has been in the news quite a bit and won organically. Remember Rand won CPAC this time because he was in the news a week previous regarding drones. Again, I don't think there was a concerted effort to help Rand win CPAC this year.

there was no concerted effort that I am aware of on this because it's an off-year sort of event

Remember Ron won this in 2011 because the Campaign made a push to do so. It's quite possible Rand will do the same in a year or two.

ctiger2
10-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Cruz won because of all the hecklers during his speech.

MichaelDavis
10-13-2013, 01:05 PM
This is actually fantastic news for us. The Values Voter Summit is a convention for social conservatives. If Ted Cruz is seen as a social conservative, he will not be directly competing for voters with Rand Paul in 2016. Rand can receive all of the votes from people who "run around with no clothes on and smoke pot."

enhanced_deficit
10-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Values Voter's Summit.

"Values", my aching ass.

lol this group likes Santorum better than Rand.
File it under 'dont't care'.

Natural Citizen
10-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Remember, when you are trying to win an election you just need to get someone's vote, which is a lot lower of a threshold, than changing their complete worldview or political philosophy.

Well. Just winning elections aside, what's to be said of changing the course of history? Values are really the main driver for the energy that many benefit from today. Not wise to disassociate relevence, Matt. These are the people who talk in the grocery store, the farmers market, Church, the park...everyday life situations.

LibertyEagle
10-13-2013, 03:25 PM
There is a lot of time between now and 2016. They love Cruz right now because his big deal on ObamaCare is fresh in their minds. They will be on to something else next month.

BuddyRey
10-13-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm guessing that most of the "values voters" at that summit are radical Zionists and dispensationalists who get a warm and fuzzy feeling seeing Cruz's lips puckered up on Israel's backside.

Rand's too independent - too much his own man - to appeal to that crowd, and thank God for that.

Matt Collins
10-13-2013, 04:35 PM
There is a lot of time between now and 2016. They love Cruz right now because his big deal on ObamaCare is fresh in their minds. They will be on to something else next month.
Bingo!