PDA

View Full Version : Food Stamp Temporary Stimulus Boost Ends

aGameOfThrones
10-11-2013, 02:30 PM
A temporary increase in food stamps expires Oct. 31, meaning for millions of Americans, the benefits that help put food on the table won't stretch as far as they have for the past four years.

Food stamps — actually the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program — go to 47 million Americans a month, almost half of them children and teenagers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/photos/food-stamp-temporary-stimulus-boost-ends-1381515573-slideshow/food-stamps-decrease-photo-1381514287991.html

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/P.O8fJpSq3OlAzSzux08dQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT03NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/finance/2013-10-11/f0e131a2-b15f-4c88-a25f-f546c82932e2_AP299433740652.jpg

Jennifer Donald, who receives money from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program also known as food stamps, posing for a portrait at her home in Philadelphia. Donald, a 31-year-old mother of three in Philadelphia, said she counts on the family's $460 monthly benefit to put food on the table. Her husband has a job sanitizing machines at meat-packing plants but it doesn't pay enough.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/O6NB010ts.OEuOXUWqzSqg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT03NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/finance/2013-10-11/d49b06e7-f2d8-45c9-ba71-2e9f7b804dca_AP544824400455.jpg

Jennifer Donald, whose family receives money from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program also known as food stamps, helping her sleeping son Donovan, 4, out of her minivan in Philadelphia. With the decrease in food stamp, she'll have to reduce the quality of the food she buys to stretch the benefits, then turn to food pantries once the money runs out.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/zHuZI1KTrl5C94rNikZ2mw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT03NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/finance/2013-10-11/26dac905-7e8f-469c-b687-8537cd2732a0_AP419040866876.jpg

"I was mad and devastated and a little bit confused because we need our benefits," Donald said in an interview at her row house, where she was preparing ground-beef tacos, a family favorite, while her 10-year-old daughter and two sons, 6 and 4, played and did homework. "This is the way we eat right now. Live a day in our life before you can cut our benefits."

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/H8e7_yVgBFG20ralg9t1sw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT03NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/finance/2013-10-11/a740549e-0dcc-42ed-8034-87f2960e9133_AP270784462318.jpg

Jennifer Donald whose family receives money from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program also known as food stamps, eats dinner with her sons David, 6, left, and Donovan, 4, and daughter Jayla, 10, in Philadelphia. The average family of four will see benefits drop by $36 a month, a tough hit at a time when child poverty is climbing and Congress is debating a major cut to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/BFviOFx01qxiaIuyAftnPg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT03NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/finance/2013-10-11/92004428-fe44-4f41-bc72-78f0a1611d19_AP168057607069.jpg

And the program could face another shortfall if the government is shuttered past Nov. 1.

tod evans
10-11-2013, 02:35 PM
No sympathy!

None at all.

Shut the program down and never reopen it.

She, herself, said she has access to "food pantries" so use 'em.

VBRonPaulFan
10-11-2013, 02:45 PM
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."

AngryCanadian
10-11-2013, 02:48 PM
$36 a month, is that it? thats not enough to feed your family by a long shot.

Keith and stuff
10-11-2013, 02:49 PM
A small step.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 02:50 PM
See those three kids? If she stays reliant on food stamps, it's almost 100% sure that all of them will be on food stamps as adults. Then each one of them will probably have three kids, who are all on food stamps....and so on.

tod evans
10-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Her $400.00+ "benefits" would be reduced by $36.00.

That's not enough to suit me!

End the program and fire the tax-ticks administrating it.

dannno
That's a lot of ground beef!!

amy31416

Seriously. If that mom taught the kids how to make homemade bread and bought flour instead of store-made, I bet that'd make up the difference.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Anyone notice the t-shirt?

tod evans
10-11-2013, 02:53 PM

What the hell they're not paying for it. :mad:

Pericles
10-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Instead of $460 a month she will get "only" $424 per month and this is a crisis? Wait until real stuff happens.

heavenlyboy34
10-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Why do people on food stamps breed kids they can't afford? :confused:

angelatc
10-11-2013, 03:11 PM

LOL. No. I did notice that she's driving a better car than I am.

mad cow
10-11-2013, 03:13 PM

That was my first thought.Even for a family of five,thats a lotta tacos.

bunklocoempire
10-11-2013, 03:16 PM
So every attempt has been made at a voluntary relationship(s) that would help this family, and all ends exhausted to find help while avoiding violence...

It now becomes necessary to take from others at gunpoint?:(:rolleyes:

Family, church, & friends are positive and healthy relationships. A relationship with government is knowing a bully with a gun.

Unwilling to have positive relationships along with all the trouble that they are? ;)

I would pray the family strives for the positive relationships -no matter how much work those relationships are.

Keith and stuff
10-11-2013, 03:16 PM

The average family of four will see benefits drop by $36 a month...
That's $9 a person less.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 03:23 PM

I saw that too and was going to point it out, but my car is shameful and sad. I just lost the driver's side arm rest/door pull and am still mourning it.

phill4paul
10-11-2013, 03:33 PM
That's alright. Just give us smokers another tax hike to cover it.

tod evans
10-11-2013, 03:35 PM

Eating better than we are.............At least LOTS more food...

Antischism
10-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Government has been and continues to be the problem. I don't blame the people, they're not my enemies. There are many government and societal reasons for why people fall back and eventually rely on welfare. As a rational, conscious human being and an anarchist, I realize where the problem stems and how you can't simply eliminate something that is the lifeblood of the poor in this country due to the way the country has been shaped through the years. FUCK YOU, GOT MINE and BOOTSTRAPS! are idiotic retorts to the problem. Instead of focusing on "THOSE LAZY, DIRTY POORS," we need to bring our economy back to health, get out of debt by shutting things down that won't impact the American people negatively and end foreign aid when we can't even properly take care of our own.

The constant harping against poor people and those that rely on government aid is fucking atrocious. Don't attack the people on it, focus that attack on government and realize that your average, poor American is a victim of our incompetent government, War on Drugs and military interventionism.

Once we get our shit in order, we can ease people back into a healthy economy and working. A lot of the crime, mental health issues, unemployment and general unhealthiness are symptoms of our corporatist system. Once we can get away from such control, you'll find that people will rely less and less on aid, and it can be reduced step by step in time.

tod evans
10-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Once we get our shit in order, we can ease people back into a healthy economy and working. A lot of the crime, mental health issues, unemployment and general unhealthiness are symptoms of our corporatist system. Once we can get away from such control, you'll find that people will rely less and less on aid, and it can be reduced step by step in time.

I've listened to this shit for well over 40 years.

It ain't working.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Government has been and continues to be the problem. I don't blame the people, they're not my enemies. There are many government and societal reasons for why people fall back and eventually rely on welfare. As a rational, conscious human being and an anarchist, I realize where the problem stems and how you can't simply eliminate something that is the lifeblood of the poor in this country due to the way the country has been shaped through the years. FUCK YOU, GOT MINE and BOOTSTRAPS! are idiotic retorts to the problem. Instead of focusing on "THOSE LAZY, DIRTY POORS," we need to bring our economy back to health, get out of debt by shutting things down that won't impact the American people negatively and end foreign aid when we can't even properly take care of our own.

The constant harping against poor people and those that rely on government aid is fucking atrocious. Don't attack the people on it, focus that attack on government and realize that your average, poor American is a victim of our incompetent government, War on Drugs and military interventionism.

I wouldn't "harp" on poor people on welfare if they ever even once stepped back and were even slightly thankful. If this woman said anything along the lines of "I've been really fortunate to get the help we needed for as long as we have," then this wouldn't irritate me nearly as much.

AngryCanadian
10-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Seriously. If that mom taught the kids how to make homemade bread and bought flour instead of store-made, I bet that'd make up the difference.

Exactly.

bolil
10-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Why people have kids when they know that they will need to rely on an outside source to take care of them. I just don't get it. I understand that things happen, but I am not having kids unless I have the means to educate and feed them and give them a good life ALREADY in the bank.

I mean, I hope this woman apologizes to her children when they go to bed hungry. But no, she is a mother, its not her fault, it is the fault of society.

Antischism
10-11-2013, 04:02 PM
I've listened to this shit for well over 40 years.

It ain't working.

So what do you propose? We throw everyone off of welfare onto the streets and let them starve? You're punishing the victims of our corrupt system. And if you think "the church" and "charities" will be able to take care of millions, that's just incredibly naive.

Antischism
10-11-2013, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't "harp" on poor people on welfare if they ever even once stepped back and were even slightly thankful. If this woman said anything along the lines of "I've been really fortunate to get the help we needed for as long as we have," then this wouldn't irritate me nearly as much.

Because of the way some people act, you choose to demonize the rest?

You should be holding government in contempt for most of the ills that have fallen upon our country and our society as a whole. Who gives a shit what the lady says in the end? As long as we're under the rule of corporatists, it'll continue to get worse and I will continue to sympathize with those who are victimized. It's easy to just say, "FUCK THEM. THEY'RE ALL JUST LAZY AND UNGRATEFUL." But to do so would be to become ignorant of our societal ills and how government has a monopoly on the lives of the poor who have been enslaved into a system where they both feed off of each other as a result.

Hell, these people typically don't even have access to proper education.

tod evans
10-11-2013, 04:07 PM
So what do you propose? We throw everyone off of welfare onto the streets and let them starve? You're punishing the victims of our corrupt system.

Absolutely, and the government employees that "work" for the welfare system too.

Rip the band-aid off don't tug it gently.

[edit]

And if you think "the church" and "charities" will be able to take care of millions, that's just incredibly naive.

Frankly I don't care at this point who, or if anyone, feeds/clothes and houses those who can't/won't support themselves.

FallOfTheWest
10-11-2013, 04:21 PM
For some reason, I felt a little bad as I clicked the thread.

Then I scrolled down and saw her kids and then I was reminded again why I don't support welfare.

FFS stop having kids

phill4paul
10-11-2013, 04:31 PM

You should be holding government in contempt for most of the ills that have fallen upon our country and our society as a whole. Who gives a shit what the lady says in the end? As long as we're under the rule of corporatists, it'll continue to get worse and I will continue to sympathize with those who are victimized. It's easy to just say, "FUCK THEM. THEY'RE ALL JUST LAZY AND UNGRATEFUL." But to do so would be to become ignorant of our societal ills and how government has a monopoly on the lives of the poor who have been enslaved into a system where they both feed off of each other as a result.

I do hold the government in contempt. However, in no way, shape or form should choosing not to feed, house, clothe, educate or provide medical care be construed as victimization of the poor.

And no one in this ladies family is in danger of starving.

tod evans
10-11-2013, 04:32 PM
I do hold the government in contempt. However, in no way, shape or form should choosing not to feed, house, clothe, educate or provide medical care be construed as victimization of the poor.

Think of the children..:rolleyes:

phill4paul
10-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Think of the children..:rolleyes:

In the pictures it looked like they had distended bellies. I'm pretty sure that is not from starvation though.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 04:35 PM

Ultimately, I do blame the government. However, the government is put into place by the people.

And it isn't easy to say "FUCK THEM. THEY'RE ALL JUST LAZY AND UNGRATEFUL. Because I do agree with Ron's position that we ditch the foreign and military spending and use a weaning method. It isn't easy, because there are good people in bad positions who do need the help.

But do you know why he recommends the weaning method? BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE ON WELFARE ARE LAZY, TAKE IT FOR GRANTED AND ARE CAREER WELFARISTS WITH NO INTENTION OF EVER GETTING OFF IT. Those people will riot and will steal and harm other people without it. And why would they do that? Because they think what's mine and yours is theirs.

And everyone who lives near a damn library has access to a proper education if they're motivated.

angelatc
10-11-2013, 04:39 PM

No disrespect, but that doesn't work. When we enter periods of economic boom, the government only moves to expand. When the economy moves ahead, they get giddy with having a surplus and create new programs to spend it. Nobody ever says "Hey! Unemployment is at 4% - even the illegal aliens are making $20 an hour - so we should phase out X program now, while people can easily replace that income in the private sector."

No, they do stuff like propose midnight basketball programs and Medicare Part D.

angelatc
10-11-2013, 04:42 PM
So what do you propose? We throw everyone off of welfare onto the streets and let them starve? You're punishing the victims of our corrupt system. And if you think "the church" and "charities" will be able to take care of millions, that's just incredibly naive.

Why do you think people would starve? Do you really think that people are actually entirely incapable of even feeding themselves?

tod evans
10-11-2013, 05:06 PM

People on welfare are not victims and removing tax funding is not a punishment.

Why would you advocate "punishing" me by taking my money to feed them?

Antischism
10-11-2013, 05:16 PM

And no one in this ladies family is in danger of starving.

The American people have been put in a position, through the years, where government care has become expected, and government likes it that way because it guarantees more votes if they continue to expand it. This is now the norm, and they have been educated to believe as much. As a result, stripping the people of all welfare in one fell swoop would be catastrophic and a total disregard for human life while failing to acknowledge why many are in the position they are today. I'm talking in general, not about this specific case.

Ultimately, I do blame the government. However, the government is put into place by the people.

And it isn't easy to say "FUCK THEM. THEY'RE ALL JUST LAZY AND UNGRATEFUL. Because I do agree with Ron's position that we ditch the foreign and military spending and use a weaning method. It isn't easy, because there are good people in bad positions who do need the help.

But do you know why he recommends the weaning method? BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE ON WELFARE ARE LAZY, TAKE IT FOR GRANTED AND ARE CAREER WELFARISTS WITH NO INTENTION OF EVER GETTING OFF IT. Those people will riot and will steal and harm other people without it. And why would they do that? Because they think what's mine and yours is theirs.

And everyone who lives near a damn library has access to a proper education if they're motivated.

So you agree, but you view people less as victims, more as lazy opportunists.

I disagree with that notion. I think while there are certainly people who take advantage of the system, the majority end up on welfare because they either make bad life decisions due to their surroundings/circumstance, come from a broken family due to government programs like the War on Drugs for example, are deeply depressed and find no motivation (a symptom of our society and government), or simply look at the situation realistically and realize they can get more from government than they would working a fast-food job with shitty wages. The economy and jobs market are in shambles, and getting a college education with a degree no longer really guarantees you'll wind up with a better paying job.

Also, the problem with getting a proper education is a lot of the time, families are too busy trying to get food on the table to worry about higher learning. They're too focused on trying to get by.

No disrespect, but that doesn't work. When we enter periods of economic boom, the government only moves to expand. When the economy moves ahead, they get giddy with having a surplus and create new programs to spend it. Nobody ever says "Hey! Unemployment is at 4% - even the illegal aliens are making $20 an hour - so we should phase out X program now, while people can easily replace that income in the private sector."

No, they do stuff like propose midnight basketball programs and Medicare Part D.

But the goal (my goal) would be to get rid of government entirely in the future, not minarchism.

And to answer your other question, that's a pretty naive way of thinking. So you're telling me millions of people, flooding the streets, who are financially insecure and will be evicted from their homes, will suddenly find jobs they can work that will sustain them and their families all of a sudden? That businesses will suddenly spring up overnight to hire these people, supposing they even had the motivation to look for a job after suffering the blow of homelessness? You're assuming that everyone has the same thought process and the same priorities in life. That everything will just take care of itself.

Like Amy stated, one of the effects of suddenly ending welfare would be riots. Quite frankly, I wouldn't blame the rioters. This is why you slowly work that out of the system after you've ended the war on drugs and crushed the military-industrial complex.

Antischism
10-11-2013, 05:20 PM
People on welfare are not victims and removing tax funding is not a punishment.

Why would you advocate "punishing" me by taking my money to feed them?

How much money do you think this country would save once you get rid of the m-ic, foreign aid and end useless domestic wars like the one on drugs, which could be used as we start to wean away welfare?

Lucille
10-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Her house is a mess and she needs to lose at least 75 lbs. She could easily stop eating $36.00 worth of food a month, and no one else in the household would have to go without. Has she heard about Michelle's Let's Move campaign? She needs to get moving, clear out the clutter, and clean that pigsty.

They look like they're big fans of champagne. Assuming it's cheap, that's got to be at least 60 bucks worth of wine.

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/BFviOFx01qxiaIuyAftnPg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT03NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/finance/2013-10-11/92004428-fe44-4f41-bc72-78f0a1611d19_AP168057607069.jpg

tod evans
10-11-2013, 05:24 PM
How much money do you think this country would save once you get rid of the m-ic, foreign aid and end useless domestic wars like the one on drugs, which could be used as we start to wean away welfare?

I'm for ending those too but please don't include me in the we you speak of who intends to wean welfare recipients.

Trying to interconnect "wars" with welfare is dishonest.

The only connection is that government foots the bill.

Antischism
10-11-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm for ending those too but please don't include me in the we you speak of who intends to wean welfare recipients.

Trying to interconnect "wars" with welfare is dishonest.

The only connection is that government foots the bill.

I don't agree with your opinion, but you're certainly free to think that way. We'll leave it at that.

Ender
10-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Her house is a mess and she needs to lose at least 75 lbs. She could easily stop eating $36.00 worth of food a month, and no one else in the household would have to go without. Has she heard about Michelle's Let's Move campaign? She needs to get moving, clear out the clutter, and clean that pigsty.

They look like they're big fans of champagne. Assuming it's cheap, that's got to be at least 60 bucks worth of wine.

Hard to tell if that is actually wine.

I have bottles of vinegar, dressings, and specialty syrups that look just like that. Not to mention Martinelli's. ;)

And her house doesn't look a mess- just busy- as for weight, most poor people inthis country tend to be overweight because of the bad diets caused by not much money.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 05:46 PM
So you agree, but you view people less as victims, more as lazy opportunists.

I disagree with that notion. I think while there are certainly people who take advantage of the system, the majority end up on welfare because they either make bad life decisions due to their surroundings/circumstance, come from a broken family due to government programs like the War on Drugs for example, are deeply depressed and find no motivation (a symptom of our society and government), or simply look at the situation realistically and realize they can get more from government than they would working a fast-food job with shitty wages. The economy and jobs market are in shambles, and getting a college education with a degree no longer really guarantees you'll wind up with a better paying job.

Also, the problem with getting a proper education is a lot of the time, families are too busy trying to get food on the table to worry about higher learning. They're too focused on trying to get by.

Like Amy stated, one of the effects of suddenly ending welfare would be riots. Quite frankly, I wouldn't blame the rioters. This is why you slowly work that out of the system after you've ended the war on drugs and crushed the military-industrial complex.

They made the ghetto or the trailer park their way of life. Nobody forced welfare on anyone--the gov't may have created the framework to make it easy, but they chose the "easy" route and they're choosing it for their kids. The current economic situation has little to do with anything--this has been going on a long time. And at least people used to be somewhat ashamed to use foodstamps, but it's just a way of life now.

And you wouldn't blame the rioters that would steal from me and my family, not to mention yours? That's sick.

Ender
10-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Why do you think people would starve? Do you really think that people are actually entirely incapable of even feeding themselves?

In today's world- yes.

Ender
10-11-2013, 05:48 PM
They made the ghetto or the trailer park their way of life. Nobody forced welfare on anyone--the gov't may have created the framework to make it easy, but they chose the "easy" route and they're choosing it for their kids. The current economic situation has little to do with anything--this has been going on a long time. And at least people used to be somewhat ashamed to use foodstamps, but it's just a way of life now.

And you wouldn't blame the rioters that would steal from me and my family, not to mention yours? That's sick.

Ever been a single mother? Ever been on welfare?

It is VERY hard to get off once you have gone that route; the gov owns you.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-11-2013, 05:48 PM

There's a lot of food in that pan, too.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 05:49 PM

I have bottles of vinegar, dressings, and specialty syrups that look just like that. Not to mention Martinelli's. ;)

And her house doesn't look a mess- just busy- as for weight, most poor people inthis country tend to be overweight because of the bad diets caused by not much money.

Oh c'mon, I have a whole shelf of nothing but vinegar and only a couple look like full-size wine bottles. The foil going 1/3 down indicates champagne, and I doubt this woman is a vinegar connoisseur.

You can buy meat and vegetables using food stamps, more than you could if you did not have food stamps.

GregSarnowski
10-11-2013, 05:50 PM
48 million people. That's 1/6 of the U.S. population. Completely unsustainable.

bunklocoempire
10-11-2013, 05:53 PM
"This is the way we eat right now. Live a day in our life before you can cut our benefits."

I don't see a mother-in-law on your property. Live a day in MY life. :)

It's the relationships that we choose to have that clearly show what we're willing to do to survive or prosper.

I've got relatives and friends who nurture relationships that help them survive and prosper without resorting to force -and I also have relatives (THREE families) who refuse to compromise with family or friends and instead insist on a relationship with government for their survival.

The relatives of mine who choose government over family & friends have ZERO incentive to change their ways. Those relatives are healthy, young, smart, and are more than capable of survival. No form of government "help" should've ever been available to them.

Myself and others tried to steer these families right and help them with our own money voluntarily -and government gave them the means to do elsewise.

There ya go. That's THREE families (15 people) to cut with my personal guarantee that they will not starve to death.

Put that money back in the pockets of folks who actually give a rip about responsible behavior and watch the money grow thirty-fold instead of being stuck in a broken system of fail encouraging people to do their own thing at the expense of others.

MelissaWV
10-11-2013, 05:54 PM

If that house doesn't look messy to you, I don't know what to say.

I did notice she was making enough ground beef for tacos for ten people, too, but it doesn't matter in the end. If she were judiciously using every penny to its maximum potential, it does not change that it is a penny stolen... not a penny earned, or a penny charitably given.

angelatc
10-11-2013, 05:58 PM
And to answer your other question, that's a pretty naive way of thinking. So you're telling me millions of people, flooding the streets, who are financially insecure and will be evicted from their homes, will suddenly find jobs they can work that will sustain them and their families all of a sudden? That businesses will suddenly spring up overnight to hire these people, supposing they even had the motivation to look for a job after suffering the blow of homelessness? You're assuming that everyone has the same thought process and the same priorities in life. That everything will just take care of itself..

Yes, I am indeed a believer in free markets. Go figure.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Ever been a single mother? Ever been on welfare?

It is VERY hard to get off once you have gone that route; the gov owns you.

Nope. But I know a woman with four kids who was, and she wasn't on welfare. She did work her ass off though. Welfare encourages single motherhood, but how dumb are those who buy into that as a reasonable way of life?

It ain't hard, you get a job. They will not hunt you down if you go off welfare. Stop with the drama.

Ender
10-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Oh c'mon, I have a whole shelf of nothing but vinegar and only a couple look like full-size wine bottles. The foil going 1/3 down indicates champagne, and I doubt this woman is a vinegar connoisseur.

You can buy meat and vegetables using food stamps, more than you could if you did not have food stamps.

You mean like these bottles?

http://www.martinellis.com

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Assuming it's cheap, that's got to be at least 60 bucks worth of wine.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. Boone's Farm is pretty cheap these days.

MelissaWV
10-11-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm sorry, but how is it any better if she's spending the SNAP money on her vinegar collection?

Ender
10-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Nope. But I know a woman with four kids who was, and she wasn't on welfare. She did work her ass off though. Welfare encourages single motherhood, but how dumb are those who buy into that as a reasonable way of life?

It ain't hard, you get a job. They will not hunt you down if you go off welfare. Stop with the drama.

Grow up.

Yes, they will. Getting off welfare is much harder than going on. I deal with single mothers everyday and many of them are not being allowed off welfare.

There but for the grace of God go you.

I am not a supporter of welfare and I believe that there are ways to get rid of it permanently while helping people along the way. This "better than thou" stuff is not the way to help ANYBODY or to solve the problems that face all of us.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 06:05 PM

And the program could face another shortfall if the government is shuttered past Nov. 1.

If the cupboard's so bare, I wonder what that chest freezer next to the regular fridge is for?

I'd bet Hot Pockets and lots of other pre-made food.

10-11-2013, 06:06 PM
If we cut the MIC spending, nobody would even notice the welfare spending anymore.

Lucille
10-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Ender, none of those are Martinelli's sparking cider. My eyes aren't what they used to be but I see six bottles; two bottles of sparkling rose, two bottles of champagne, and two bottles of red wine.

If the cupboard's so bare, I wonder what that chest freezer next to the regular fridge is for?

I'd bet Hot Pockets and lots of other pre-made food.

No doubt.

MelissaWV
10-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Hell, if we want to scrutinize, who does her hair and who paid for the minivan?

See, the trouble with depending on others' generosity without the Government involved is that you wind up being a little bit accountable.

And Ender? Some of us have far too much experience with having nothing, and somehow wound up not glued to the Government teat. Does that mean you're calling us geniuses, or the single moms monumentally unlucky idiots?

amy31416
10-11-2013, 06:15 PM

You really think that this woman has a collection of vinegar? For what? All those salads she isn't eating? Perhaps a lovely aged balsamic to go on the fresh strawberries?

Grow up.

Yes, they will. Getting off welfare is much harder than going on. I deal with single mothers everyday and many of them are not being allowed off welfare.

There but for the grace of God go you.

I am not a supporter of welfare and I believe that there are ways to get rid of it permanently while helping people along the way. This "better than thou" stuff is not the way to help ANYBODY or to solve the problems that face all of us.

Better than thou? This bitch wants more, more, more and has zero appreciation for a damn thing she's been handed--yeah, I am "better than her." If I hit the skids and have to go on welfare, I'm sure as shit going to appreciate it, not waste it, and try to help other people with the food I get "for free."

You are so full of crap saying that they "can't get off welfare." You can't force anyone to buy groceries with SNAP or cash any checks sent. All you have to do is stop sending proof (or lack thereof) of income.

Why would you make that up? My MIL is a social worker who deals with welfare cases all the time--she makes sure they have their papers in order so they don't get cut off.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 06:21 PM
blurp.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Hell, if we want to scrutinize, who does her hair and who paid for the minivan?

See, the trouble with depending on others' generosity without the Government involved is that you wind up being a little bit accountable.

And Ender? Some of us have far too much experience with having nothing, and somehow wound up not glued to the Government teat. Does that mean you're calling us geniuses, or the single moms monumentally unlucky idiots?

Ahh...I was just being a jerk trying to whip Ender up into a frenzy so he'd do more silly speculating on things like her vinegar collection.

catfeathers
10-11-2013, 06:32 PM
That is quite a bit of hamburger meat she's cooking but maybe she's cooking it up for more than one meal. I do that sometimes. I'll fry up twice as much as I need and put half in the freezer for when I don't have much time to cook or my feet and legs are hurting too much to stand that long.

bunklocoempire
10-11-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm sorry, but how is it any better if she's spending the SNAP money on her vinegar collection?
It's not.

I see the SNAP used to buy the vinegar like stuff and then cash used at the same time to pay for the "good stuff" (pet products, booze, cigs). I've never yet been behind a SNAP user in a check-out line where that wasn't the case. Just my experience. Happens 3 to 4 times a year. Not saying that's the case here if it matters. It doesn't.

I usually feel like just laying down in line when I see that crap.

"You okay mister?"

"No"

"What's wrong mister?"

"You're a thieving idiot bastard and I'd wring your neck if I thought it would do any good."

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-11-2013, 06:43 PM
I remember the good old days when you could just trade grub stubs for cash.

Feeding the Abscess
10-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Yes, I am indeed a believer in free markets. Go figure.

Anti's right, though. In today's environment, cutting off the welfare state (including SS, Medicare, and the like) would incite chaos. Taking a chainsaw to the regulatory state would help ease the transition, but there are millions upon millions of people, spanning several generations of people, who have zero skills and are entirely unemployable. Even if markets were entirely or nearly entirely freed, we're probably looking at recovery in the terms of decades, not years. And this assumes that there won't be any shenanigans enacted by the State, which assuredly would 'step in' and 'help' the situation.

I simply can't see a way out of this mess without total elimination of the State, and I certainly don't see a solution that comes from working within it.

angelatc
10-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Anti's right, though. In today's environment, cutting off the welfare state (including SS, Medicare, and the like) would incite chaos. Taking a chainsaw to the regulatory state would help ease the transition, but there are millions upon millions of people, spanning several generations of people, who have zero skills and are entirely unemployable. Even if markets were entirely or nearly entirely freed, we're probably looking at recovery in the terms of decades, not years. And this assumes that there won't be any shenanigans enacted by the State, which assuredly would 'step in' and 'help' the situation.

I simply can't see a way out of this mess without total elimination of the State, and I certainly don't see a solution that comes from working within it.

I am at the point where I would rather deal with 5 years of violent chaos then 49 more years of whining and hand wringing.

tod evans
10-11-2013, 07:43 PM
I am at the point where I would rather deal with 5 years of violent chaos then 49 more years of whining and hand wringing.

I have absolutely nothing against any of these folks cutting checks on their own accounts to feed and house the poor, even the displaced government workers if they're sympathetic to their plight.

But me, I'm sick-n-tired of the suits in DC spending money I earned on stuff I disagree with.

Ender
10-11-2013, 07:51 PM
You really think that this woman has a collection of vinegar? For what? All those salads she isn't eating? Perhaps a lovely aged balsamic to go on the fresh strawberries?

Better than thou? This bitch wants more, more, more and has zero appreciation for a damn thing she's been handed--yeah, I am "better than her." If I hit the skids and have to go on welfare, I'm sure as shit going to appreciate it, not waste it, and try to help other people with the food I get "for free."

You are so full of crap saying that they "can't get off welfare." You can't force anyone to buy groceries with SNAP or cash any checks sent. All you have to do is stop sending proof (or lack thereof) of income.

Why would you make that up? My MIL is a social worker who deals with welfare cases all the time--she makes sure they have their papers in order so they don't get cut off.

I am a Minister under a Vow of Poverty. I personally know all about being poor and I do not take any kind of gov aid and never will.

However, many of the mothers I help have been forced to stay on welfare and have been threatened with the loss of their kids. Maybe your mother-in-law is a nice lady but when I was in Cali, the threats were real and it took a long time to get the gov out of your life.

You know nothing about this woman except what you have read from MSM. You believe nothing else they write but somehow everything they have said about this gal makes calling her a bitch justified.

I DO NOT believe in government welfare and I believe that people are better served with local communities helping the poor. I work in food pantries and where ever else I can to help people locally. Still, you cannot just throw everyone off the system and say "oh-well-too-bad-boo-boo".

This country's a mess but I didn't set the system up and I am sure most here did not, as well. We have to get out of the business of war and then get our country back to a solid monetary system and true capitalism. Then we can begin to help people actually succeed in life instead of being on the dole.

aGameOfThrones
10-11-2013, 08:22 PM
I wonder if she asked the people who pay for her stuff if she could have 3 kids she can't afford?

catfeathers
10-11-2013, 08:35 PM
I wonder if she asked the people who pay for her stuff if she could have 3 kids she can't afford?

Maybe when those kids were born they could afford them. Maybe she was working and doesn't have a job anymore. You don't know what their situation is and why they need the assistance.

I get food stamps, my husband doesn't get as many hours as he used to. He's trying to find a better job. I had to quit my job because of medical problems. I'm going to school to try to get a job that's not as physical. I do appreciate the food stamps, we haven't always needed them and I hope we don't need them much longer.

Natural Citizen
10-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Maybe when those kids were born they could afford them. Maybe she was working and doesn't have a job anymore. You don't know what their situation is and why they need the assistance.

I get food stamps, my husband doesn't get as many hours as he used to. He's trying to find a better job. I had to quit my job because of medical problems. I'm going to school to try to get a job that's not as physical. I do appreciate the food stamps, we haven't always needed them and I hope we don't need them much longer.

Circumstances like yours is why the platform doesn't bother me too much. Heck, I wish people would complain this much about all of the corporate welfare but such is life. I think the article was originally meant to associate welfare with ethnicity though just in looking at the first picture the author plastered. Not the op, of course. Meaning the author. Makes perfect race bait to toss into places like here and folks should be more careful in partaking in a game of useful idiot.

Courageous response in the lions den, btw.

specsaregood
10-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Exactly how stupid do you think we are? Martinellis my ass.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 09:04 PM
I am a Minister under a Vow of Poverty. I personally know all about being poor and I do not take any kind of gov aid and never will.

However, many of the mothers I help have been forced to stay on welfare and have been threatened with the loss of their kids. Maybe your mother-in-law is a nice lady but when I was in Cali, the threats were real and it took a long time to get the gov out of your life.

You know nothing about this woman except what you have read from MSM. You believe nothing else they write but somehow everything they have said about this gal makes calling her a bitch justified.

I DO NOT believe in government welfare and I believe that people are better served with local communities helping the poor. I work in food pantries and where ever else I can to help people locally. Still, you cannot just throw everyone off the system and say "oh-well-too-bad-boo-boo".

This country's a mess but I didn't set the system up and I am sure most here did not, as well. We have to get out of the business of war and then get our country back to a solid monetary system and true capitalism. Then we can begin to help people actually succeed in life instead of being on the dole.

My MIL's a total pain in the ass.

She never uttered a word of appreciation for what she has at the expense of others who may be in even worse circumstances than she is--so I'll call her a bitch because she wants more stolen from other people she's never met or empathized with, yet you and she expect my respect and sympathy.

You won't get it.

And perhaps the California system of welfare is different than here, but it's my understanding that they can't force you to cash a check, turn in paperwork or use a SNAP card--bam! You're off of welfare, and I have never once heard of a case of someone being arrested for refusing it. Please link if you have other information.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 09:09 PM

I'm close, but there's a few people that I'd like to see get out of the city first. Or at least set themselves up to defend themselves.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Oh come on, now. Some here just sound jealous, or really need to lighten up. If you can't beat 'em--join 'em.

If Zero gave away phones and laptops, then televisions can't be far behind. Can you imagine?--a big ass 90 inch TV right in your living room. Cash in while the gettin's good.

Rock on.

James Madison
10-11-2013, 11:47 PM

Yes.

Madea gets a job? How about Jennifer Donald gets a job.

Not totally her fault, though. Government ships all the jobs overseas so you can't make any money and then devalues whatever money you have left.

amy31416
10-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Yes.

Madea gets a job? How about Jennifer Donald gets a job.

Not totally her fault, though. Government ships all the jobs overseas so you can't make any money and then devalues whatever money you have left.

Nope. Not totally her fault--the gov't makes it exceedingly difficult to create a business of your own. And who knows--in some other scenario this woman could have been one hell of an entrepreneur.

mad cow
10-11-2013, 11:55 PM
I'd buy from her Taco Stand.It sure looks like she doesn't skimp on the meat.

Cutlerzzz
10-12-2013, 01:15 AM
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/P.O8fJpSq3OlAzSzux08dQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT03NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/finance/2013-10-11/f0e131a2-b15f-4c88-a25f-f546c82932e2_AP299433740652.jpg

Jennifer Donald, who receives money from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program also known as food stamps, posing for a portrait at her home in Philadelphia. Donald, a 31-year-old mother of three in Philadelphia, said she counts on the family's $460 monthly benefit to put food on the table. Her husband has a job sanitizing machines at meat-packing plants but it doesn't pay enough.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/O6NB010ts.OEuOXUWqzSqg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT03NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/finance/2013-10-11/d49b06e7-f2d8-45c9-ba71-2e9f7b804dca_AP544824400455.jpg

Jennifer Donald, whose family receives money from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program also known as food stamps, helping her sleeping son Donovan, 4, out of her minivan in Philadelphia. With the decrease in food stamp, she'll have to reduce the quality of the food she buys to stretch the benefits, then turn to food pantries once the money runs out.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/zHuZI1KTrl5C94rNikZ2mw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT03NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/finance/2013-10-11/26dac905-7e8f-469c-b687-8537cd2732a0_AP419040866876.jpg

"I was mad and devastated and a little bit confused because we need our benefits," Donald said in an interview at her row house, where she was preparing ground-beef tacos, a family favorite, while her 10-year-old daughter and two sons, 6 and 4, played and did homework. "This is the way we eat right now. Live a day in our life before you can cut our benefits."

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/H8e7_yVgBFG20ralg9t1sw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT03NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/finance/2013-10-11/a740549e-0dcc-42ed-8034-87f2960e9133_AP270784462318.jpg

Jennifer Donald whose family receives money from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program also known as food stamps, eats dinner with her sons David, 6, left, and Donovan, 4, and daughter Jayla, 10, in Philadelphia. The average family of four will see benefits drop by $36 a month, a tough hit at a time when child poverty is climbing and Congress is debating a major cut to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

Judging by the photos she eats her kids share of the food stamps.

Warrior_of_Freedom
10-12-2013, 01:34 AM
My family actually works and we spend less than that every month on food making smart choices. This is ridiculous this family gets more than we spend on food.

Barrex
10-12-2013, 05:53 AM
I had doubts should I writer anything because I dont know entire story but....Her pots and pans are huuuuuuge. Too big for family of 5. 2 fridges/freezers. A lot of vine and champagne. Full shelfs of food (low quality, high cost food). Nice car. She and at least one child are fat (maybe not by US standards but by my country). My family was not and is not poor but that amount of meat would be prepared only during holidays. It should last for days. A lot of expensive toy bikes and other toys on one of those pictures. Is that professional popcorn maker on top of that freezer???

My family lived in a small town and donating food and things to poor families was part of the culture. Based on what I see on these pictures I dont think that many people would consider her family to be poor enough to give them their hard earned money or stuff.

Poor people dont color their hair, dont eat that expensive food, dont have internet, dont have many or any cellphones, dont have nice cars, dont have 2 fridges, dont have so many toys, dont have a lot of vine and certainly not any champagne, dont have professional popcorn maker, dont have lcd/plasma TV, dont have go on vacations....

What is wrong with the world today? In my country it was normal to donate to poor and it was normal for me to give poor people service any say "you will pay when you have money"... but not anymore because people dont pay their debts because "they are poor"... They dont have money to pay me for my (or other peoples) work but they have money to go on vacation or to buy a new expensive tv etc.? This happened to me, my father, my friends....People are loosing any sense of shame.

There is global stupidity epidemic? Since when is being poor as in real poor that cant afford food and basic things for live turned into this kind of being poor mentality?

I have every sympathy for poor people who are honestly poor and simply cant get on their own but zero for those who consider it a life style (mooching of others).

tod evans
10-12-2013, 06:01 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Barrex again.:o

Carson
10-12-2013, 06:09 AM
I see no reason to take this topic to a personal level but...

"Food Stamp Temporary Stimulus Boost Ends"

I thinking that means no one will be effected until the 1st rolls around again and checks would be sent out.

brandon
10-12-2013, 06:17 AM
lmao a morbidly obese unemployed woman complaining that the government is slightly reducing the amount of free food she gets from them. Typical philadelphian

Working Poor
10-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Well maybe $36 reduction in food stamps will cause the woman will loose a little weight and we won't have to foot the bill on her health care cost as well.

Cutlerzzz
10-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Well maybe $36 reduction in food stamps will cause the woman will loose a little weight and we won't have to foot the bill on her health care cost as well.

She'll eat just as much. She just has to take some of her kids share.

Lucille
10-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Does anyone else think this woman is a borderline hoarder? What is that pile of crap on the left?

I see she has a nice KitchenAid, and a food processor. I notice her champagne (or vinegar) collection is sitting on top of a fireplace mantle. That could be a nice room!

She has a deep freeze blocking a door to a pantry or another room. I wish I had a deep freeze! What in the world is that on top of the deep freeze, next to the big jug of oil (smart shopping, I guess)? Are there live animals in there?

Ender
10-12-2013, 09:36 AM
lmao a morbidly obese unemployed woman complaining that the government is slightly reducing the amount of free food she gets from them. Typical philadelphian

In today's standards set by corps to keep women slaves to the system, Marilyn Monroe would be considered obese.

http://us.cdn001.fansshare.com/photos/marilynmonroe/marilyn-monroe-beach-breeze-2006958250.jpg

Look, it is one thing to dislike the welfare system; it is quit another to make crass remarks and cuts about people on the system. Says more about those doing the insults than it does about those on welfare.

The key is to educate others; everybody is caught in The Matrix AND VERY FEW KNOW IT. It is time to wake people up, not criticize and make fun of them.

angelatc
10-12-2013, 09:41 AM
I see she has a nice KitchenAid, and a food processor. I notice her champagne (or vinegar) collection is sitting on top of a fireplace mantle. That could be a nice room!

She has a deep freeze blocking a door to a pantry or another room. I wish I had a deep freeze! What in the world is that on top of the deep freeze, next to the big jug of oil (smart shopping, I guess)? Are there live animals in there?

It looks like an aquarium to me. I hate to defend welfare princesses, but I have a food processor that looks exactly like that. Mine came from Craigslist - cost me $10.00. But if she was a Freecycler, she'd have chairs that match. :)

I wonder what's up with that window? It looks like it never closes? That room she's in looks like maybe it's a pantry in the basement?

I like how none of the pictures show her husband. Who actually exists and works, according to the article.

tod evans
10-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Doesn't seem that long ago that there was a social stigma attached to government aid of any sort.

The fact that such aid is portrayed as a positive thing, let alone encouraged, speaks volumes about where we as a people are.

It's shameful that such a large percentage of the population "needs" aid and frankly I find it appalling that government pushes people to enroll in their programs.

Race, body-type and demographics be damned, this welfare thing is a national issue and government only perpetuates it.

Lucille
10-12-2013, 09:48 AM
It looks like an aquarium to me. I hate to defend welfare princesses, but I have a food processor that looks exactly like that. Mine came from Craigslist - cost me $10.00. But if she was a Freecycler, she'd have chairs that match. :)

I wonder what's up with that window? It looks like it never closes? That room she's in looks like maybe it's a pantry in the basement?

I like how none of the pictures show her husband. Who actually exists and works, according to the article.

I think since it has a fireplace, it's a dining room. Those two pics I posted are the same room taken from different angles.

It's sad he can't support his family. He can thank the evil federal reserve.

Doesn't seem that long ago that there was a social stigma attached to government aid of any sort.

The fact that such aid is portrayed as a positive thing, let alone encouraged, speaks volumes about where we as a people are.

Truly.

"This is the profound, rational reason why human beings shrink from relief, and hate the very word (http://mises.org/daily/2739)."

Not anymore.

juleswin
10-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Lol, I was just about to say that. I think she can cut half of the ground beef portion and absorb the cut in food stamp. Also she is worried about eating low quality foods? who does she think eats low quality foods? its people who for whatever reason cannot afford enough money to feed themselves/family and she is that person.

Act accordingly woman, we are in a recession.

tod evans
10-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Act accordingly woman, we are in a recession.

You and I may be............She however doesn't need to worry about such things.

ZENemy
10-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Wow, those pictures are of a "poor" persons house?

angelatc
10-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Nope. Not totally her fault--the gov't makes it exceedingly difficult to create a business of your own. And who knows--in some other scenario this woman could have been one hell of an entrepreneur.

That's very true. I used to know people who lived on the dole. They were amazingly well versed at scheduling and budgeting. They could keep running calculators in their heads about how many days until their next batch of food stamps came in, how long it had to last, how much money they could still earn before messing up benefits. They seem to love jumping through hoops - there's plenty of room for those people in corporate America even if they aren't cut out to run their own businesses.

juleswin
10-12-2013, 10:13 AM

Either the husband is too embarrassed to be in the picture or the writers figured out that putting the husband in the picture would paint a less sympathetic picture of her story and they wouldn't want that.

MelissaWV
10-12-2013, 11:02 AM
In today's standards set by corps to keep women slaves to the system, Marilyn Monroe would be considered obese.

Look, it is one thing to dislike the welfare system; it is quit another to make crass remarks and cuts about people on the system. Says more about those doing the insults than it does about those on welfare.

The key is to educate others; everybody is caught in The Matrix AND VERY FEW KNOW IT. It is time to wake people up, not criticize and make fun of them.

My mention of her hair is not made in ignorance. Unless she somehow has naturally straight, two-toned hair, she is spending a considerable amount of money on her appearance. When you are beholden to the charity of others, you are also beholden to their opinions of how you are spending their money. The Government removes that entire stigma. There are plenty of "single moms" (and boy do I hate that cliché, especially since this article specifically points out that she isn't one) who take great pride in themselves and are truly struggling to get out of the bottom of the barrel. They are uncomfortable there, they don't want their kids growing up there, they still want to instill values and teach their children to work hard and dream big and be self-sufficient.

That number is greatly reduced by the ease with which you really can live right there at the bottom, and how disheartening it is to come off of EBT/SNAP only to realize you've got less money for food and you had to work ten times as hard to earn it.

It can be done. It just means you have to want to be self-sufficient more than you want the next massive batch of Government tacos.

angelatc
10-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Either the husband is too embarrassed to be in the picture or the writers figured out that putting the husband in the picture would paint a less sympathetic picture of her story and they wouldn't want that.

That was my guess.

Origanalist
10-12-2013, 11:23 AM
That's very true. I used to know people who lived on the dole. They were amazingly well versed at scheduling and budgeting. They could keep running calculators in their heads about how many days until their next batch of food stamps came in, how long it had to last, how much money they could still earn before messing up benefits. They seem to love jumping through hoops - there's plenty of room for those people in corporate America even if they aren't cut out to run their own businesses.

Natural born bean counters?

FSP-Rebel
10-12-2013, 11:26 AM
In case it hasn't been mentioned, I'd wager that the kids each get 2 squares a day during school hours. It all goes back to people having kids when they aren't financially stable to do so. She's my age and already has 3 kids, holy crap. That just boggles my mind in this day and age.

Patrick Henry
10-12-2013, 12:30 PM
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/bridge-cards-reportedly-not-working/-/1719418/22406738/-/2vqfmvz/-/index.html

Bridge Cards reportedly not working

EBT Food stamps system experiencing glitches in Michigan, other states

Joanne Marie Hoopes

Oct 12 2013 01:54:13 PM EDT

DETROIT - The Local 4 newsroom has been flooded with calls and emails from people reporting problems with their Michigan EBT Food stamp card.

Viewers say they attempted to use their Bridge Card but the system is not working and they are left unable to purchase groceries.

Local 4 contacted the Michigan Department of Human Services; a spokesperson says the issue with client cards is not on the DHS end.

The spokesperson says the issues are believed to stem from a system update on the retailer's side. DHS says the issues are widespread but say they are expecting to correct the problem quickly.

Similar issues have been reported in other states.

Oklahoma's KFOR News Channel 4 reports the system failure is the result of a power outage at a Xerox facility. Xerox is the vendor for the EBT systems for many states.

The issue is not related to the government shutdown as many callers have feared.

MelissaWV
10-12-2013, 12:32 PM
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/bridge-cards-reportedly-not-working/-/1719418/22406738/-/2vqfmvz/-/index.html

Bridge Cards reportedly not working

EBT Food stamps system experiencing glitches in Michigan, other states

Joanne Marie Hoopes

Oct 12 2013 01:54:13 PM EDT

DETROIT - The Local 4 newsroom has been flooded with calls and emails from people reporting problems with their Michigan EBT Food stamp card.

Viewers say they attempted to use their Bridge Card but the system is not working and they are left unable to purchase groceries.

Local 4 contacted the Michigan Department of Human Services; a spokesperson says the issue with client cards is not on the DHS end.

The spokesperson says the issues are believed to stem from a system update on the retailer's side. DHS says the issues are widespread but say they are expecting to correct the problem quickly.

Similar issues have been reported in other states.

Oklahoma's KFOR News Channel 4 reports the system failure is the result of a power outage at a Xerox facility. Xerox is the vendor for the EBT systems for many states.

The issue is not related to the government shutdown as many callers have feared.

You mean the same Government shutdown a larger percentage of people seem to blame "the Republicans" for? Hmmm it's almost as if there is some concerted effort to make the "poor" panic and believe that anytime they can't access "their" money it's the Republicans' fault. Weird.

Also this story has shocked me. People haven't blown through all their EBT money and it's nearly the middle of the month?

Origanalist
10-12-2013, 12:57 PM
You mean the same Government shutdown a larger percentage of people seem to blame "the Republicans" for? Hmmm it's almost as if there is some concerted effort to make the "poor" panic and believe that anytime they can't access "their" money it's the Republicans' fault. Weird.

Also this story has shocked me. People haven't blown through all their EBT money and it's nearly the middle of the month?

One can only wonder how the unfortunate souls manage to keep from starving to death.

Cutlerzzz
10-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Remember this is 2013 America. I'm supposed to pity people that are overweight, have a roof over their head, one TV instead of four with a hundred channels instead of a thousand, one computer instead of two, a cell phone that is five years old instead of new, and so on. We hardly have actual poverty, mostly just artificial divides created by socialists and government to create entitled voting blocks. Meanwhile, millions of people in the world face actual starvation but I'm supposed to feel more sympathy to people like the women in the OP because we're from the same country.

phill4paul
10-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Remember this is 2013 America. I'm supposed to pity people that are overweight, have a roof over their head, one TV instead of four with a hundred channels instead of a thousand, one computer instead of two, a cell phone that is five years old instead of new, and so on. We hardly have actual poverty, mostly just artificial divides created by socialists and government to create entitled voting blocks. Meanwhile, millions of people in the world face actual starvation but I'm supposed to feel more sympathy to people like the women in the OP because we're from the same country.

You weren't born into a social contract with the world. Just with her. Shaddup and pay your taxes.

juleswin
10-12-2013, 01:49 PM
One can only wonder how the unfortunate souls manage to keep from starving to death.

Its called blubber aka body fat, capable to sustaining the average person throughout the duration of any potential govt shutdown.

Origanalist
10-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Its called blubber aka body fat, capable to sustaining the average person throughout the duration of any potential govt shutdown.

SHTF fat?

devil21
10-12-2013, 03:18 PM
The food stamp card problems are being reported across the country. Something to watch folks!

angelatc
10-12-2013, 03:55 PM

I have seen liberals insist that people on food stamps should be allowed to use the money on pet food. Never mind that dogs can eat leftovers and not starve to death - kids are entitled to have pets.

Lucille
10-12-2013, 04:00 PM
The food stamp card problems are being reported across the country. Something to watch folks!

‘Riot time!’: Food stamp users in near-panic over EBT card failures
http://twitchy.com/2013/10/12/riot-time-food-stamp-users-in-near-panic-over-ebt-card-failures/

devil21
10-12-2013, 04:15 PM
‘Riot time!’: Food stamp users in near-panic over EBT card failures
http://twitchy.com/2013/10/12/riot-time-food-stamp-users-in-near-panic-over-ebt-card-failures/

Local Food Lion cashier said no problems with EBT here in nc. Looks like about 20 states with issues.

oyarde
10-12-2013, 07:25 PM

Biggest "ground beef " taco mess I have ever seen in my life.

oyarde
10-12-2013, 07:30 PM
My family actually works and we spend less than that every month on food making smart choices. This is ridiculous this family gets more than we spend on food.

Yep.

oyarde
10-12-2013, 07:33 PM

Considering three fourths of the world has less than 10K in assets.I would say , nah.We need to define poor.

AFPVet
10-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Yes, several people noted the fact that the system is designed in such a way that it is very difficult for these people to get off of government aid. Some do try—only to get back on the programs because they were better off....

Lindsey
10-12-2013, 08:16 PM
For a family of 5 in PA they can make up to $43,212/year and still qualify for food stamps ($54,024 if anyone is "disabled" or elderly.)

This family is clearly not hurting for necessities, (who needs a popcorn maker?), if people want to help them, maybe they should offer budget planning assistance, rather than giving them cash taken from others by coersion.

angelatc
10-12-2013, 08:19 PM
For a family of 5 in PA they can make up to $43,212/year and still qualify for food stamps ($54,024 if anyone is "disabled" or elderly.)

This family is clearly not hurting for necessities, (who needs a popcorn maker?), if people want to help them, maybe they should offer budget planning assistance, rather than giving them cash taken from others by coersion.

I guess they dont have a means test. Michigan had to change their system to add that because (and I am not making this up) lottery winners were collecting, legally.

Lindsey
10-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I guess they dont have a means test. Michigan had to change their system to add that because (and I am not making this up) lottery winners were collecting, legally.

I believe they have to provide proof of income every 6 months.

Noob
10-12-2013, 08:27 PM

I wonder if the people that are disgusted with others having more than one kid don't move to china?

MelissaWV
10-12-2013, 08:34 PM
I wonder if the people that are disgusted with others having more than one kid don't move to china?

Not "more than one kid." Even though I'm not part of that sentiment (sometimes people do have children during better economic times and then something awful happens), the idea is that you should be sure of your ability to provide for anyone or anything you become responsible for.

10-12-2013, 11:37 PM

I think Marilyn had a little in the middle and some junk in the trunk but not obese.

Pa does have a means test. I think it's something like $2k in the bank, 1 car per driver or something like that.

I believe they have to provide proof of income every 6 months.

That's right they do.

I'm not into hating on people who take welfare. If we could cut the MIC spending and foreign aid, we could EASILY feed all the poor people in the US and nobody would blink at the cost. We're sending all the money overseas and neglecting out own people.

Ender
10-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Not "more than one kid." Even though I'm not part of that sentiment (sometimes people do have children during better economic times and then something awful happens), the idea is that you should be sure of your ability to provide for anyone or anything you become responsible for.

Where do you live? The Truman Show?

Life happens- you never know what the future will bring, no matter how well planned you think you might be.

MelissaWV
10-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Where do you live? The Truman Show?

Life happens- you never know what the future will bring, no matter how well planned you think you might be.

I just said that same thing.

I'm not part of that sentiment (sometimes people do have children during better economic times and then something awful happens),

So please, get angry at someone else over it. I was explaining that the people saying "she shouldn't have kids she can't afford" are not advocating one child per person.