PDA

View Full Version : Breaking:Sen Harry Reid Won't Negotiate Until GOP Opens Government

AngryCanadian
10-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Breaking:Sen Harry Reid Won't Negotiate Until GOP Opens Government (http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/harry-reid-wont-negotiate-until-gop-opens-government/)

Another sign the purposed deal is an short lived.

Updated 4:25 p.m. | A House GOP offer to pass a six-week debt ceiling extension without reopening the government isn’t enough to jump-start stalled budget talks, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told reporters at the White House.

After meeting for about an hour and a half with President Barack Obama, CQ Roll Call asked Reid if he would be willing to negotiate on reopening the government as the GOP has demanded.

“Not going to happen,” Reid replied and walked off.

V3n
10-10-2013, 02:59 PM
“I repeat for the fourth time right here: Open the government. Let us pay our bills. We’ll negotiate with you about anything.”

The shutdown is the one card the R's have got, if they lose that, there will be nothing to negotiate. No reason for Reid to discuss anything.

Elias Graves
10-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Any deal will be bad but compromise has to happen on some level. Both sides will have to give a little.
So far, I've seen the GOP offer half a dozen or more plans that have all been shot down.
What have the dems offered in negotiations? Nothing?

Im seriously beginning to believe Obama wants to cause a crash so he can declare an emergency.

JK/SEA
10-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Any deal will be bad but compromise has to happen on some level. Both sides will have to give a little.
So far, I've seen the GOP offer half a dozen or more plans that have all been shot down.
What have the dems offered in negotiations? Nothing?

Im seriously beginning to believe Obama wants to cause a crash so he can declare an emergency.

we can only hope.

shut this bitch down, and lets get on with re-building this country and government.

Warrior_of_Freedom
10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
a compromise with evil only works in the favor of evil

anaconda
10-10-2013, 05:35 PM
The shutdown is the one card the R's have got, if they lose that, there will be nothing to negotiate. No reason for Reid to discuss anything.

Why don't you consider the debt ceiling a negotiating card?

AngryCanadian
10-10-2013, 05:35 PM
a compromise with evil only works in the favor of evil

I have to agree with that.

angelatc
10-10-2013, 05:37 PM
They don't get their agendas through by compromising.

AngryCanadian
10-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Why don't you consider the debt ceiling a negotiating card?

The debt ceiling deal in which the GOP leader is proposing is in short terms, meaning we would be back talking about the debt in either few weeks by now or months depending how short the deal it is.

r123
10-10-2013, 06:08 PM
both parties are doing the same thing. they're grandstanding. they're politicizing this. they talk about a shutdown, which really isn't a shutdown. the big stuff continues, and they close down the monuments. and i think it's all a political game and it's a blame game. you know, even with the deficit -- the deficit limit was met in may. so government goes on. i think that the shutdown is not a real problem. i think the real worry should be the breakdown of the entire system. and as far as default goes, we're always going to pay the interest. and that's just -- that's just a fake argument. i'm concerned about the continuation of the default by paying off our bills with money that has less value. that's where the real problem is, and they're not even talking about it.": http://www.dailypaul.com/302005/ron-...y-on-cnbc-epic (http://www.dailypaul.com/302005/ron-paul-just-smacked-the-crap-out-of-tres-sec-jack-lews-testimony-on-cnbc-epic)

r123
10-10-2013, 06:09 PM
“Notably absent from the discussion surrounding the debt ceiling and the government shutdown is the fact that the federal government would not be able to borrow the money it needs to finance its wars, bailouts, and entitlement programs if the Federal Reserve did not continue to buy government debt.
“Until the issue of the Federal Reserve is addressed, I am not optimistic we will see any true spending reform in Washington. Thankfully, the American people are waking up to what the Federal Reserve has been doing to our money and our economy.”: http://www.campaignforliberty.org/national-blog/ron-paul-statement-yellen-nomination/

UtahApocalypse
10-10-2013, 06:26 PM
We have to open it to negotiate sounds a lot like you have to vote for it to see what's in it.

Imagine telling a car dealer you will negotiate the price after he accepts your down payment.

HOLLYWOOD
10-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Fuck Harry Reid and the rest of those lying gasbags occupying the U.S. Senate chamber, aka Assisted Living Home

enoch150
10-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Good. I support Harry Reid in this decision. Shut it down, don't reopen it, and don't raise the debt limit.

I need to find Harry Reid's email address. I am going to send him a note encouraging him not to deal with financial terrorists.

RM918
10-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Reid thinks that the longer the shutdown goes on and he can pin it on his political adversaries, the better. It's all theater.

idiom
10-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Apparently Reid is in favour of balancing the budget. Immediately.

ObiRandKenobi
10-10-2013, 07:35 PM
who cares keep it closed.

Peace&Freedom
10-10-2013, 07:57 PM
The nice thing about the tea party giving the rest of the Republicans a spine, is that the rest of the body (who are otherwise spineless) no longer have to try to find one. All the TP guys have to do is hang in there. What happened is that the impasse of spring 2011, when the liberty and TP people first demanded that there be an END to endless borrowing, deficit over-spending and 'revenues' (tax increases), set the stage. The establishment struck back with the sequester mechanism, and by the GOP leadership caving.

The sequester and super committee was designed to take the growing influence of the TP away, and have a few leadership pols make the real spending decisions. Then the 2012 election put MORE liberty and Tea Party people in power, and the sequester has been revealed to all as a joke in terms of curbing spending. The establishment now has no leverage to keep the TP from standing firm. Boehner at al either have to go with the flow, or break the back of TP, there is no third option. If he does so this time, without the cover of actually winning real fiscal change, he's done as Speaker, and likely still more TP/liberty people get elected in 2014.

Following a breakdown of the current deal by the Democrats, the backbone should comeback and assert that, now that the over spenders have practiced bad faith, opposing lifting the debt ceiling is now back on the the table as well. Make the entire place squirm about the end of their borrowing and spending regime.

Elias Graves
10-10-2013, 08:03 PM
who cares keep it closed.

17% down...
Shutdown, indeed.

ObiRandKenobi
10-10-2013, 08:04 PM
17% down...
Shutdown, indeed.

should be negotiating to shut down more, not less.

Elias Graves
10-10-2013, 08:12 PM
should be negotiating to shut down more, not less.

Exactly!
Too bad they aren't shutting down the shit that needs shutting.

AngryCanadian
10-10-2013, 08:52 PM
You know what i want closed down for good? NSA,covert ops.