PDA

View Full Version : Cullman city police department gets an armored vehicle

shane77m
10-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Next county over from mine.
Cullman is not that big of a town. Oh well, I guess the police state gotta police state.

http://www.cullmantimes.com/local/x862177795/Cullman-police-receive-free-armored-vehicle-for-emergencies

http://d6673sr63mbv7.cloudfront.net/archive/x703133537/g00025800000000000065f29984172cd4b37f0b7e3f0a9cb00 9a0a924c2.jpg

CULLMAN — The Cullman Police Department added a new tool to their agency in the form of a 2007 armored military vehicle that required no out of pocket costs from the department, but was valued around $400,000.

The 40,000 pound Caiman MRAP (Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected) surplus military vehicle was picked up from Hattisburg, Miss., and driven to Cullman by investigator Matt Dean and officer David Nassetta on Monday. Cullman received it through the federal government 10-33 program. Police Chief Kenny Culpepper said this vehicle will be an asset to the department and specifically the tactical unit.

“Members of the community may take a look at this and think, ‘Why would the police department need something like that?,’” Culpepper said. “We may receive a lot of criticism from the community saying it’s a waste and we will never use it. Well, I hope we never have to prove that we need it because that means some form of tragedy has struck, whether it be a natural disaster, school shooting or something else like it. In the office, we’ve had a heart defibrillator there for a long time and many people say it’s a waste, truth be told, I don’t want to have to use it. So, just like this vehicle, I hope for continued criticism. We don’t mind it.”

Culpepper said the vehicle will be beneficial in many areas, if certain situations were to occur in the community.

“It serves many purposes and it will be a great asset to the force,”Culpepper said. “Besides being a means of training for the tactical officers, it will be extra security in the time of a crisis, or something similar like inclement weather situations. People can also be transported in it.”

Assistant Police Chief Craig Green said the 10-33 program can be applied for by any law enforcement agency.

“The 10-33 program provides surplus military equipment to state and local law enforcement agencies and it is authorized under federal law,” Green said. “It gives us the opportunity to have equipment we could not afford otherwise without this program.”

Although it will be a vehicle for Cullman city police, it will not be used in day-to-day operations.

“We will not be using it all the time, this is not a take home vehicle for an officer or anything, this is something we will be able to use for a long period of time in situations that call for this type of assistance,” Culpepper said. “For instance, if we were responding to a gunman situation and we had an officer that was wounded, this would be a shielded vehicle that we could respond with instead of having to put a shield on the windshield of a law enforcement vehicle and force the officers to sink down in their seats, this vehicle would allow us to enter the area and be protected.”

The only cost for the department on the vehicle was the fuel to drive it back to Cullman. The vehicle uses diesel fuel and gets an estimated seven miles to the gallon, much like other military vehicles or Hummers that are used by law enforcement.

“The department applied for the military surplus vehicle, much like other police departments are receiving military vehicles to be used for tactical purposes,” Culpepper said. “The officers will be able to use the tool to train with and if they are able to take care of it for 20-30 years, much like a fire-truck, it will last a long time.”

The MRAP hosts capabilities to hold and distribute tear gas, it has a connector for a Jaws-of-Life machine if needed in coordination with car accidents. It also has an air compressor, basically providing police officers with their own version of a firetruck. The 10-foot-tall truck features its own crow’s nest area that adds about three feet, totaling the truck’s height to around 13-feet-tall. The crow’s nest opening has settings for machine gun capabilities. Inside, it features two front seats, six seating pods with feet bands and straps much like seat-belts, electronic capabilities and an area to hold a large amount of equipment. The holding power from the straps was created for the vehicle to withstand encounters with land mine threats.

Anti Federalist
10-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Police Chief Kenny Culpepper said this vehicle will be an asset to the department and specifically the tactical unit.

Where it be rolled out for routine warrant service.

Protecting and Serving the fuck outta you.

War on Us.

shane77m
10-10-2013, 12:29 PM
The vehicle uses diesel fuel and gets an estimated seven miles to the gallon

At least it is green.

They might need it for black Friday at WalMart. That place gets crazy.

bunklocoempire
10-10-2013, 12:34 PM
10 or so years ago: Fight them over there so we don't have that shit here? Are you sure that's how it's gonna work? :rolleyes:

I think this is the program mentioned:

The 1033 Program

The 1033 Program (formerly the 1208 Program) permits the Secretary of Defense to transfer, without charge, excess U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) personal property (supplies and equipment) to state and local law enforcement agencies (LEAs).

The 1033 Program has allowed law enforcement agencies to acquire vehicles (land, air and sea), weapons, computer equipment, body armor, fingerprint equipment, night vision equipment, radios and televisions, first aid equipment, tents and sleeping bags, photographic equipment and more.

Rules and Restrictions
•The requesting agency must be a government agency that has a primary function of enforcing laws and with officers who are compensated and have powers of arrest and apprehension.
•The property must be drawn from existing DoD stocks.
•The receiving agency is responsible for all costs associated with the property after it is transferred, as well as for all shipping or federal repossession costs.
•The recipient must accept the property on an as-is, where-is basis.
•All property is transferred on a first-come, first-served basis.
•Property may not be sold, leased, rented, exchanged, bartered, used to secure a loan, used to supplement the agency's budget or stockpiled for possible future use.
... https://www.justnet.org/other/1033_program.html

aGameOfThrones
10-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Let's just call them what they are... Military State Police.

phill4paul
10-10-2013, 01:02 PM
The crow’s nest opening has settings for machine gun capabilities.

Because, you know....

Well, I hope we never have to prove that we need it because that means some form of tragedy has struck, whether it be a natural disaster, school shooting or something else like it.

acptulsa
10-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Cullman is not that big of a town.

That's why the thread attracted my attention. I suppose now a town of twelve needs an APC that carries six?

...in the form of a 2007 armored military vehicle...

I think this is only about half because they want to be able to squash the mundanes at will. I think the rest of it comes from a conversation that went something like this:

Military and MIC: What do we do with this earmark junk once we tried to use it and discovered it has no military value? You won't let us sell it military surplus...

Government: Maybe we can justify giving it to small town cops. They'll enjoy playing with it.

shane77m
10-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Cullman county population 80,440
Cullman city population 14,864

I don't suspect that many terrorist events in a town of this size.

I need to look into seeing if they will loan it out to the county. Or I need to see if the county has one as well.

The October fest might get a little rowdy this year. It is going to be the second year that Cullman city went wet. Might be good that they got the MRAP.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-10-2013, 02:45 PM
From the article:

"... that required no out of pocket costs from the department,..."

"The only cost for the department on the vehicle was the fuel to drive it back to Cullman."

"... to take care of it for 20-30 years, much like a fire-truck, it will last a long time.”

Anybody here want to weigh in on the maintenance cost for a near half million dollar vehichle?

The chief said, "Besides being a means of training for the tactical officers,..."

Wonder what the ratio of tactical encounters is in town of 15,000. Maybe they can get tactical when old man Smith raises a ruckus when he dumps his checkerboard.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-10-2013, 02:45 PM
"Tactical." Bwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

shane77m
10-10-2013, 02:47 PM
From the article:

Anybody here want to weigh in on the maintenance cost for a near half million dollar vehichle?

I imagine forfeited money and property may help pay for it.

acptulsa
10-10-2013, 02:48 PM

Not if they use that on the house before they confiscate it...

coastie
10-10-2013, 02:56 PM
“Members of the community may take a look at this and think, ‘Why would the police department need something like that?,’” Culpepper said. “We may receive a lot of criticism from the community saying it’s a waste and we will never use it. Well, I hope we never have to prove that we need it because that means some form of tragedy has struck, whether it be a natural disaster, school shooting or something else like it. In the office, we’ve had a heart defibrillator there for a long time and many people say it’s a waste, truth be told, I don’t want to have to use it. So, just like this vehicle, I hope for continued criticism. We don’t mind it.”

Umm, no motherfucker, a defibrillator isn't commonly also used as a weapon, so this is nothing like that.

His boys are chomping at the bit to "fuck some shit up" with that thing right now, mark my words as someone who was formerly law enforcement - we loved our new toys, and couldn't wait for an excuse to use them.

Keith and stuff
10-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Cullman county population 80,440
Cullman city population 14,864

I don't suspect that many terrorist events in a town of this size.

I need to look into seeing if they will loan it out to the county. Or I need to see if the county has one as well.

The October fest might get a little rowdy this year. It is going to be the second year that Cullman city went wet. Might be good that they got the MRAP.

Paris Maine, a town with less than 5,000 people, got a military vehicle worth over 50% more for free. This community is being ripped off! Every small town police force should deserve a military vehicle with $650,000! It is their right! Where are the tax payers and why aren't they doing this! It is likely because of that darn shutdown! The federal government is being inconsistent and it is discrimination!

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-10-2013, 03:01 PM

Yeah, how did I naively miss that. Self-perpetuating.

Looks like Barney Fife is alive and well in Cullman.

Dark_Horse_Rider
10-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Almost exact same story in my local newspaper here in rural Washington

Bizarre . . .

Origanalist
10-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Alsmost same story in my local nespaper here in rural Washington

Bizarre . . .

Bizarre? That's one way to describe it. Unusual? Not anymore.

Dark_Horse_Rider
10-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Bizarre? That's one way to describe it. Unusual? Not anymore.

yeah, especially the tone of the officials in both stories , seems a rehearsed answer and story

Elias Graves
10-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Well, it WILL protect all the piece officers from the rash of mines being left about carelessly by all those ne'er do wells.

Dark_Horse_Rider
10-10-2013, 08:13 PM
take heart my dear brothers and sisters . . . humans were not born to live in bondage.

and you can be assured that the universe has a plan to bring balance back and humanity to fruition.

these actions we have been seeing by tptb are their attempts to prevent what they subconciously know is inevitable , will probably become more drastic as things come to a head.

Elias Graves
10-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Every generation has its own darkest hour...

Scrapmo
10-10-2013, 10:09 PM
They forgot to paint RESCUE on the side.

Matt Collins
10-10-2013, 10:47 PM
This is one of the worst counties in Alabama for speed traps.

Dark_Horse_Rider
10-11-2013, 06:48 PM
They forgot to paint RESCUE on the side.

Rescrew more probable