PDA

View Full Version : John Boehner To Ask House GOP For Short-Term Debt Ceiling Increase

JCDenton0451
10-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Boehner To Ask House GOP For Short-Term Debt Ceiling Increase (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20131010/us--budget-battle-boehner/)
GOP aides say House Speaker John Boehner will ask House Republicans to approve a short-term extension of the government's ability to borrow to meet its bills.

The Ohio Republican is slated to urge his staunchly conservative GOP colleagues to act before the government runs out of borrowing authority next week.

Republicans have been insistent that budget cuts and other measures be added to the so-called debt ceiling legislation but the aides wouldn't say whether he'll seek to add other material to the measure.

The aides required anonymity to reveal the information before Boehner makes an announcement after a closed-door meeting with his GOP colleagues.

UtahApocalypse
10-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Anyone voting to raise the debt limit even a dollar is not conservative or republican and needs voted out.

JCDenton0451
10-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Anyone voting to raise the debt limit even a dollar is not conservative or republican and needs voted out.

I'm curious as to what your idea of a Republican is?

Rand Paul: I'll Vote for Clean CR, Debt Ceiling If Talks Progress (http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Rand-Paul-willing-CR-negotiations/2013/10/09/id/530221)
"If we want to move this along and continue to negotiate, I've always been in favor of a clean CR for a week or a clean debt ceiling for a week or two," Paul, R-Ky., said Wednesday on Fox News Channel's "Your World with Neil Cavuto (http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/your-world-cavuto/index.html)."

Cabal
10-10-2013, 09:34 AM

And anyone who still thinks partisan politics means anything hasn't been paying attention.

UtahApocalypse
10-10-2013, 09:45 AM

I'm curious as to what your idea of a Republican is?

Rand Paul: I'll Vote for Clean CR, Debt Ceiling If Talks Progress (http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Rand-Paul-willing-CR-negotiations/2013/10/09/id/530221)
Raising the debt limit is fiscally irresponsible. This is not at all a conservative direction to go. We need to cut spending, continue paying the already astoundingly high debt, and not extend the government credit card to allow new spending.

JCDenton0451
10-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Raising the debt limit is fiscally irresponsible. This is not at all a conservative direction to go. We need to cut spending, continue paying the already astoundingly high debt, and not extend the government credit card to allow new spending.

What about SS and Medicare? Spending on these programs is projected to increase 70% over the next 10 years.

UtahApocalypse
10-10-2013, 10:02 AM
What about SS and Medicare? Spending on these programs is projected to increase 70% over the next 10 years.

They need to start allowing people to opt out, keep their own money, and take responsibility for themselves.

Also with more money in our pockets donations to charities will be able to up to be the safety net for those truly in need.

Before SS and medicare there were tons of church, and charitable group's that helped those down and out.

kathy88
10-10-2013, 10:06 AM
They need to start allowing people to opt out, keep their own money, and take responsibility for themselves.

Also with more money in our pockets donations to charities will be able to up to be the safety net for those truly in need.

Before SS and medicare there were tons of church, and charitable group's that helped those down and out.

I would opt out in a second.

JCDenton0451
10-10-2013, 10:11 AM
They need to start allowing people to opt out, keep their own money, and take responsibility for themselves.That's a good idea, if you're young. But what about people nearing retirement age?

Politically, it'll be impossible to cut their benefits, which means spending will have to increase, and debt-ceiling will have to be raised.

UtahApocalypse
10-10-2013, 10:48 AM
That's a good idea, if you're young. But what about people nearing retirement age?

Politically, it'll be impossible to cut their benefits, which means spending will have to increase, and debt-ceiling will have to be raised.

That's right cut out and ignore the part about charities, and churches. Inkt the government can help us! Fucking democrat scumbag.

jbauer
10-10-2013, 10:52 AM

What about them? I didn't promis to deposit 16% of my income to pay someone else. At some point we are going to need to make cuts. The sooner the better.

jbauer
10-10-2013, 10:54 AM
That's a good idea, if you're young. But what about people nearing retirement age?

What about them. They pooled there money into a system. They should get they're return on investment. Whatever that might be for government work.

JCDenton0451
10-10-2013, 11:41 AM
That's right cut out and ignore the part about charities, and churches. Inkt the government can help us! Fucking democrat scumbag.

How old are you, buddy? Do you know any old people, including Tea Party supporters? Tell them you intend to gut their SS and Medicare, and then ask them if they're going to vote for you.

You will get important lesson in life.

better-dead-than-fed
10-10-2013, 01:11 PM
How old are you, buddy? Do you know any old people, including Tea Party supporters? Tell them you intend to gut their SS and Medicare, and then ask them if they're going to vote for you.

You will get important lesson in life.

The lesson being that if a majority is allowed to tyrannize, then old people will steal life from young people in order to prolong their old lives a few additional years or months. But if young people stand up for their natural rights, old people are going to learn one way or another to stop stealing.

GunnyFreedom
10-10-2013, 01:44 PM
OK this is funny.

LEFT: House GOP unveils six-week debt hike that continues shutdown (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?430089-House-GOP-unveils-six-week-debt-hike-that-continues-shutdown)

MIDDLE: John Boehner To Ask House GOP For Short-Term Debt Ceiling Increase (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?430071-John-Boehner-To-Ask-House-GOP-For-Short-Term-Debt-Ceiling-Increase)

RIGHT: Boehner want to cave on the debt ceiling (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?430076-Boehner-want-to-cave-on-the-debt-ceiling)

We've got all our bases covered here! Yes-siree-Bob!

anaconda
10-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Is it possible for the government to borrow a really, really, LARGE sum of money during a "short-term debt ceiling increase?" Or do they raise it to just enough to fund government through the extension period?

Madison320
10-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Is it possible for the government to borrow a really, really, LARGE sum of money during a "short-term debt ceiling increase?" Or do they raise it to just enough to fund government through the extension period?

I think they've always raised the debt ceiling by a specified amount, with no time table attached, EXCEPT for the last time they hit the ceiling about 6 months ago. That last time they just suspended the debt ceiling, with no limit on spending, and reset the limit after a specified period of time. So if they do that again they could theoretically do what you are talking about. The sky's the limit. I'm afraid if they do that again (suspend the debt ceiling for a certain period of time), it could become the new normal.