PDA

View Full Version : Did you know 2/3rd of cops are exempt from Social Security and 50% of teachers as well?

eduardo89
10-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Approximately one-fourth of employees of state and local government do not participate in Social Security. This includes most to substantially all public employees in Alaska, Colorado, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, and Ohio.

In addition, approximately two-thirds of public safety officers--firefighters and police officers--do not participate in Social Security. These workers are in the seven states listed above and many other states.

An estimated one-half of public school teachers do not participate in Social Security, including a majority to substantially all in California, Connecticut, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, and Texas.

Also, more than one-fourth, but less than one-half of public school teachers in Georgia and Rhode Island also do not participate in Social Security.

Both employers and employees who do not participate in Social Security do not pay the Social Security portion of the FICA tax, (6.2 percent of payroll each). Public pension benefits for non-Social Security-eligible employees usually are higher than those of other public employees, to compensate for the absence of Social Security benefits.

Non-participation in Social Security dates to the origins of the Old Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance program in 1935, when coverage was limited to private sector workers due to constitutional concerns regarding the authority of the federal government to impose taxes on states and political subdivisions (see Section 218 agreements, below). These concerns were addressed in Social Security Amendments of 1950.

http://wikipension.com/wiki/Public_employees_and_Social_Security

Must be nice to be a government employee.

Christian Liberty
10-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Parasites.

phill4paul
10-09-2013, 11:21 PM
I'll be damned. Occasionally his forums teaches me something I did not know of.

So...there is no monies even garnered from their paychecks?

Glad I dropped out and went to a "tradesman" living.

eduardo89
10-09-2013, 11:37 PM
So...there is no monies even garnered from their paychecks?

Apparently not as long as they have a pension plan. Which I bet is a million times better than anything SS could offer and usually completely guaranteed.

heavenlyboy34
10-09-2013, 11:55 PM
You do have to sell your soul for these benefits, but it does appeal to the Parasite Class and Enforcer Caste. Ain't The System grand? All hail the State Machine!

Occam's Banana
10-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Apparently not as long as they have a pension plan. Which I bet is a million times better than anything SS could offer and usually completely guaranteed.

I'm not so sure about that. My understanding is that a number of state pension plans are cataclysmic disasters just waiting to happen (especially in California, Illinois and New York). IIRC, a while back a NY state honcho (Andrew Cuomo ?) actually proposed borrowing from the pension in order to pay out the pension's obligations. If things are as bad as I've heard, a lot of those "guarantees" are going to be worth about as much as the paper they're written on ...

eduardo89
10-10-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm not so sure about that. My understanding is that a number of state pension plans are cataclysmic disasters just waiting to happen (especially in California, Illinois and New York). IIRC, a while back a NY state honcho (Andrew Cuomo ?) actually proposed borrowing from the pension in order to pay out the pension's obligations. If things are as bad as I've heard, a lot of those "guarantees" are going to be worth about as much as the paper they're written on ...

Some states have it as law (California) or in their constitution (Michigan?) that public pensions are basically untouchable, even in bankruptcy.

DamianTV
10-10-2013, 12:51 AM
They become Social Security Exempt because they are put into State Equivilants of the same system. But many dont have to pay for those bennies either.

bolil
10-10-2013, 01:44 AM
And the pig said, "grunt."
I was not surprised.