PDA

View Full Version : Politicians Joke About Torture, War Crimes at Private Cheney Roast

donnay
10-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Politicians Joke About Torture, War Crimes at Private Cheney Roast

Evan McMurry
Mediaite
Oct. 9, 2013

At the Plaza Hotel Monday evening, Dick Cheney, Joe Lieberman, Scooter Libby and other figures gathered for a roast of the former Vice President, with many of the jokes building off of Cheney’s role in the expansion of U.S. torture policy.

According to Ben Smith of BuzzFeed, the jokes “left few lines uncrossed” and “drew a mix of chuckles and winces.”

One source reported that ex-Senator Lieberman (D-CT) “said something to the effect that it’s nice that we’re all here at the Plaza instead of in cages after some war crimes trial.”

Read more (http://www.mediaite.com/online/cheney-lieberman-reportedly-joke-about-waterboarding-at-private-roast/)

PatriotOne
10-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Disappointed. The headline had me envisioning Cheney being roasted on a spit over hot coals.

Cabal
10-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Of course, this is to be expected from sociopaths.

alucard13mm
10-09-2013, 06:49 PM
While the Al Qaeda guy deserves it.. it still violated a nation's sovereignty and it opens the way for US citizens being taken onto ships and taken to international waters for whatever reason.

HOLLYWOOD
10-09-2013, 07:56 PM
megalomaniacs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52JVljZW_cw

kcchiefs6465
10-09-2013, 08:17 PM
While the Al Qaeda guy deserves it.. it still violated a nation's sovereignty and it opens the way for US citizens being taken onto ships and taken to international waters for whatever reason.
I am going to go against my better judgement and respond to this but first I wish to know if you had a specific "Al Qaeda guy" in mind?

I am also a little curious as to who defines someone as, [an] "Al Qaeda guy", and to what legal precedent waterboarding, i.e. torture would stem legality from? Now mind you, I'm not speaking of Jay Bybee's travesty of a memorandum. I'm referring to Natural Law. What [moral or otherwise] authority does anyone have to torture another person?

The SERE studies on the reliability, (or lack thereof, I should say) of torture aside.

Rereading your post I am particularly annoyed by your mentioning of violating a nation's sovereignty. What does that have to do with a person being tortured? Furthermore, is violating the Natural Rights of the individual who is or was subjected to torture, (read: enhanced interrogation) not enough? Is violating the sovereignty of the individual not enough? Is violating every aspect of their Being not enough?

I could post pictures of the innocent whose heads were caved in while the "good guys" pose with their mangled bodies. Likewise I could explain the precedent set through disregarding International Law, the Geneva Convention and other expectations of battle as well.

They torture their own guys by the way. (SERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival,_Evasion,_Resistance_and_Escape) training) From some accounts it's pretty brutal. What they do to their prisoners, innocent and guilty alike, is on another level though. You should read some of the accounts people who were finally freed have written. Supposed Al Qaeda operatives until they weren't.

Ender
10-09-2013, 10:04 PM

Al Qaeda........Al Qaeda.......

Aren't those the guys the US invented and then use them as enemies or supported rebels, depending upon the circumstances?

donnay
10-10-2013, 05:45 AM
Al Qaeda........Al Qaeda.......

Aren't those the guys the US invented and then use them as enemies or supported rebels, depending upon the circumstances?

Al CIA-dah.