PDA

View Full Version : How will the time change be affected by the govt shut down?

Matt Collins
10-08-2013, 01:35 PM
How will the time change be affected by the govt shut down?

Zippyjuan
10-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Say whut?

Due to cutbacks, clocks will only have to be set back by 45 minutes instead of an hour. Except in Hawaii and Arizona.

muzzled dogg
10-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Good question

tangent4ronpaul
10-08-2013, 02:43 PM
I seriously don't think they will shut down the atomic clock for Obama, and we would have heard about it by mow if they had.

Now, clocks in gvmt buildings... that could be a different story. I wonder what it costs the taxpayer to have someone change all those clocks twice a year....

-t

Dr.3D
10-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Isn't daylight wasting time determined by the individual states. I've seen some that don't do it.

Zippyjuan
10-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Isn't daylight wasting time determined by the individual states. I've seen some that don't do it.

Currently two states don't- Arizona and Hawaii.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/daylight1.html

At 2 a.m. on Nov. 3, 2013, Americans will turn their clocks back one hour, marking the end of Daylight Saving Time (DST).

The federal law that established "daylight time" in the United States does not require any area to observe daylight saving time. But if a state chooses to observe DST, it must follow the starting and ending dates set by the law. From 1986 to 2006 this was the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October, but starting in 2007, it is observed from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November, adding about a month to daylight saving time. (See: New Federal Law.)

No More Sunlight in Arizona and Hawaii

Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Nation) and Hawaii and the territories of Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa are the only places in the U.S. that do not observe DST but instead stay on "standard time" all year long. And if you've spent any time in the sweltering summer sun in those regions you can understand why residents don't need another hour of sunlight.

more at link.

Root
10-08-2013, 03:01 PM
How about we just stop changing the time twice a year already?

Dr.3D
10-08-2013, 03:11 PM
How about we just stop changing the time twice a year already?
I'll drink to that.

Better yet, why not use the same time clock throughout the entire world and eliminate timezones while we're at it?

Zippyjuan
10-08-2013, 03:29 PM
12:00 noon in Chicago would be 12:00 midnight in India. There is "coordinated universal time" (also known as Greenwich Mean Time) which is measured from the Observatory at Greenwich England. http://www.timeanddate.com/time/aboututc.html I have stood over the median time line there.

Danke
10-08-2013, 03:44 PM
There is "coordinated universal time" (also known as Greenwich Mean Time) which is measured from the Observatory at Greenwich England. http://www.timeanddate.com/time/aboututc.html I have stood over the median time line there.

And you lived to tell about it?

Zippyjuan
10-08-2013, 03:47 PM
It was confusing. I was in two time zones at the same time. My left side was an hour older than my right side. Hope it didn't screw with my DNA.

mad cow
10-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Fear mongering.All of the daylight we have saved throughout the years is safe in a lockbox in Washington D.C.

We actually have a surplus and we could go many years if not decades without further government expense.

10-08-2013, 04:33 PM
The time can't change unless the government says it can. ;)

acptulsa
10-08-2013, 04:56 PM
The time can't change unless the government says it can. ;)

Time zones were created by the railroads. The government didn't get in on it for decades and decades.

The time change will be like 'most everything else. Since time may be money, but doesn't have money, it can't be taxed. Therefore, all the federal government can do to it is try to stop it. It would be interesting to see U.S. Forestry Service Rangers trying to stop us from resetting our clocks, but I don't know that those around Obama are quite that foolish.

Next silly question?