PDA

View Full Version : On-Body Police Cameras... The next revolution in law enforcement?

Bohner
10-08-2013, 12:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRfsrFMxBuw

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/us/in-california-a-champion-for-police-cameras.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

In the first year after the cameras were introduced here in February 2012, the number of complaints filed against officers fell by 88 percent compared with the previous 12 months. Use of force by officers fell by almost 60 percent over the same period.

I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea. Increases accountability and transparency for all parties involved. I think certain protocols need to be established such as the police officer not being able to turn the camera on and off whenever he pleases. But I think this would undoubtedly be a net positive for all parties involved if implemented properly.

Acala
10-08-2013, 12:32 PM
I agree

Kelly.
10-08-2013, 12:51 PM
I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea. Increases accountability and transparency for all parties involved. I think certain protocols need to be established such as the police officer not being able to turn the camera on and off whenever he pleases. But I think this would undoubtedly be a net positive for all parties involved if implemented properly.

only if the citizens are able to review the videos.
without that, this is no better then the dash cams, where video mysteriously disappears when the officer did something wrong.

if you dont have anything to hide, what are you worried about :wink:

Anti Federalist
10-08-2013, 12:52 PM
"The on body camera system, unfortunately, failed and no usable video of the event is available."

"An investigation is underway, with the officer on paid administrative leave."

Bohner
10-08-2013, 01:04 PM
"The on body camera system, unfortunately, failed and no usable video of the event is available."

"An investigation is underway, with the officer on paid administrative leave."

I don't exactly see that as a negative. There are certainly possible scenarios where the net benefit might be zero, but that can easily be minimized with a proper protocol with regard to the cameras. If someone files a complaint against an officer and the camera is coincidentally turned off during the time of the incident, if anything that helps the person filing the complaint because it implies suspicion on the part of the officer.

aGameOfThrones
10-08-2013, 01:16 PM
I don't exactly see that as a negative. There are certainly possible scenarios where the net benefit might be zero, but that can easily be minimized with a proper protocol with regard to the cameras. If someone files a complaint against an officer and the camera is coincidentally turned off during the time of the incident, if anything that helps the person filing the complaint because it implies suspicion on the part of the officer.

http://lafinjack.net/images/random/futurama_fry.gif

Natural Citizen
10-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Police have already started wearing these cameras in some places. Coupled with the war on photography itself in case anyone hasn't been paying attention. Has been mentioned around here several times.

UtahApocalypse
10-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Remember in San Francisco a similar set up showed that fire fighters ran over a surviving victim of the air plane crash. The response.... Cameras now banned from fire fighters.

Same thing here. The minute it proves a cop dirty these will be history

Cabal
10-08-2013, 01:36 PM
This isn't a solution for the problem. This is a distraction from a symptom.

tod evans
10-08-2013, 01:39 PM
How many dollars have the feds tied up in this attempted deception?

The only time cop-shot video would be available would be for prosecution of mundanes, just as it is now.