PDA

View Full Version : Brian Ellis announces primary challenge against Justin Amash

jct74
10-08-2013, 08:21 AM
GOP rival announces Justin Amash primary

By TAL KOPAN | 10/8/13 6:17 AM EDT

A businessman is challenging libertarian Rep. Justin Amash in the Republican primary for his Michigan House seat.

Brian Ellis announced the campaign on Tuesday, saying Amash “has turned his back on conservative principles.” Ellis’s campaign bio describes him as a “fiscal and social conservative Republican who embraces traditional values, limited government, and strong national security.”

Ellis, who founded an investment advisory firm, is reportedly well-funded by a group of state business leaders who want to see a more traditional Republican in the House.

At the end of July, Amash’s campaign had $164,000 cash on hand, according to FEC filings. In a late September appeal on his Facebook page, he asked supporters to donate by the quarterly fundraising deadline, saying he was behind his minimum and had “heard in the last few weeks that the Washington political class is scheming to take me out. If we don’t hit our minimum target, they will be emboldened to run a challenger against me.”

In his announcement, Ellis hit Amash on a number of votes in Congress, including twice voting “present” on a bill that would have defunded Planned Parenthood, also voting “present” instead of supporting the Keystone XL pipeline and voting against the House budget.

“I will advance conservative solutions by voting to balance the budget, reduce the tax burden, expand American energy sources, and defend the right to life and our Constitution,” Ellis said in a statement.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/justin-amash-challenger-michigan-house-97971.html

jct74
10-08-2013, 08:23 AM
West Michigan businessman Brian Ellis announces run against Rep. Justin Amash

By Andrew Krietz
October 08, 2013 at 8:55 AM

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — Local businessman Brian Ellis will vie for the Republican nomination to a congressional seat currently held by U.S. Rep. Justin Amash.

Ellis' candidacy, which was declared early Tuesday morning in a press release, pegs him against the sophomore congressman.

The announcement preempted a scheduled 10 a.m. press conference to formally state his candidacy.

Ellis is president of Brooktree Capital Management and a member of the East Grand Rapids Board of Education.

“Congressman Justin Amash has turned his back on our conservative principles by voting against the Paul Ryan Budget that would cut spending by $5 trillion, and against a 20 percent tax cut for small businesses,” Ellis said in a press release.

read more:
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/10/local_businessman_brian_ellis.html

erowe1
10-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Now is the time to dig for dirt before he hires people to clean up whatever is out there on the internet about him.

jct74
10-08-2013, 08:31 AM
press release

Conservative Republican Brian Ellis Announces Candidacy for U.S. House

Congressman Amash Turned Back on Conservative Principles

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2013/10/07/11206375/gI_84554_Brian%20Ellis.jpg

Grand Rapids, MI (PRWEB) October 08, 2013

Conservative Republican Brian Ellis today announces his candidacy for the Republican nomination in Michigan’s 3rd Congressional District.

“Congressman Justin Amash has turned his back on our conservative principles by voting against the Paul Ryan Budget that would cut spending by $5 trillion, and against a 20% tax cut for small businesses,” Brian Ellis said. “Congressman Amash refused to vote in favor of the Keystone Pipeline and he even voted to allow our tax dollars to fund America’s largest abortion provider.” [See background references, below.]

“I will advance conservative solutions by voting to balance the budget, reduce the tax burden, expand American energy sources, and defend the right to life and our Constitution,” he added.

Brian is a lifelong resident of Kent County and he serves on a local school board, owns a business, and is actively involved in the community. Brian and his wife, JoAnn, are proud parents of three daughters. Today at 10 a.m., Brian will speak to supporters at Country Inn & Suites – Grand Rapids about his candidacy.

Background

Congressman Amash voted against the fiscal year 2014 House Republican Budget that cuts spending by $4.6 trillion over ten years. [Roll Call 88, 3-21-13]

Congressman Amash voted against the fiscal year 2013 House Republican Budget that cuts spending by $5.3 trillion over ten years. [Roll Call 151, 3-29-12]

Congressman Amash voted against the Small Business Tax Cut Act, which would cut taxes by 20% for small businesses. [Roll Call 177, 4-19-12]

Congressman Amash refused to vote in favor of the Keystone Pipeline, instead voting “present”. [Roll Call 179, 5-22-13]

Congressman Amash twice refused to vote in favor of preventing tax dollars from going to Planned Parenthood, America’s largest abortion provider, instead voting “present”. [Roll Call 93, 2-19-11; Roll Call 271, 4-14-11]

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11206375.htm

erowe1
10-08-2013, 08:46 AM
He was recruited by the establishment because of Amash's small-government votes.

The fact that he's pretending abortion has anything to do with it proves he's a snake. There's dirt on him. We need to find it.

JCDenton0451
10-08-2013, 08:50 AM
He was recruited by the establishment because of Amash's small-government votes.

The fact that he's pretending abortion has anything to do with it proves he's a snake. There's dirt on him. We need to find it.

Christian fundamentalists may be dumb enough to fall for this. But how many of them live in Michigan anyway?

erowe1
10-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Christian fundamentalists may be dumb enough to fall for this. But how many of them live in Michigan anyway?

Grand Rapids? Are you serious?

Warlord
10-08-2013, 08:54 AM
I think Justin will be ok but we need to have his back round here

phill4paul
10-08-2013, 08:55 AM

Finding his political links might be the first step. If he can be painted early as an establishment hack it may help. I really am not familiar w/ Michigan politics so I don't know whether that would make a difference or not.

EBounding
10-08-2013, 09:10 AM
This is why the donations were important. If you can't fund raise, the establishment smells blood in the water.

Mr.NoSmile
10-08-2013, 09:42 AM
He'll be able to hold his own, especially after his leadership stance on his amendment regarding the NSA. Does mean he'll need some grassroots backing, but what incumbent doesn't?

Warlord
10-08-2013, 09:44 AM
He'll be able to hold his own, especially after his leadership stance on his amendment regarding the NSA. Does mean he'll need some grassroots backing, but what incumbent doesn't?

He needs $$$ more than anything in order to hold his own. No one else is going to back him apart from us so lets get organized

mczerone
10-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Ellis has been a school board chairman for 6 or 7 years in GR - and hasn't done much to make waves. Many people blame him for the continued decline in the local schools' performance.

He is an establishment shill with ties to the National GOP insiders.

His Brooktree Capital business seems like it's just advanced day-trading with other people's money.

He's out of touch with people that aren't well-connected businessmen.

Mr.NoSmile
10-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Ellis has been a school board chairman for 6 or 7 years in GR - and hasn't done much to make waves. Many people blame him for the continued decline in the local schools' performance.

He is an establishment shill with ties to the National GOP insiders.

His Brooktree Capital business seems like it's just advanced day-trading with other people's money.

He's out of touch with people that aren't well-connected businessmen.

But he'll still make waves for challenging Amash because, for us, at least, it's seen as the establishment trying to kick out a liberty leaning Republican. Sounds like you're in Michigan, though. In your opinion, do you have an idea of what some people think of Amash?

Brian4Liberty
10-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Do we want to advertise this shill here?

ClydeCoulter
10-08-2013, 11:25 AM
This is why the donations were important. If you can't fund raise, the establishment smells blood in the water.

Anyone know how Amash did on the fund raising for last quarter? We had a thread on it...

Rocco
10-08-2013, 11:39 AM
In Ellis's time as the president of the school board East Grand Rapids has faced massive deficits. I can find articles from 2009-2013 addressing this issue. He certainly seems to be no fiscal conservative.

The East Grand Rapids School District is telling parents that tough times are ahead, if something isn't done.

On Monday, the district sent a letter to parents stating that it is in a difficult situation and the state of Michigan is to blame. It goes on to give parents information about "how they can help."

Mia Walker is a parent, homeowner, and a business owner. She is concerned about the district and believes the community needs to help. Walker says the great schools keep people coming to EGR. "I think it's what's kept our house values up and brings people here, especially as a parent. When you look to make an investment in a home, one of the first things you look at is the school district."

In the letter, the district says it developed a plan four years ago to bring the district to a balanced budget by 2014. It called for reducing costs, but the district is still facing a $1.5 million budget deficit.

WZZM wanted to ask the district what it was doing to be fiscally responsible and what cuts it has made over the past few years, but district officials wouldn't go on camera for an interview.

The letter does state that, over the past few years, the district has cut $3 million from the budget. According to the East Grand Rapids Schools Foundation, a group that's trying to raise money for the district, cuts could include administrative, eliminating a high school guidance position, or elementary art. Several fundraisers are being planned.

WZZM also checked with the Kent Intermediate School district and obtained a list of funding amounts for the various school districts in the area. Many of them, including East Grand Rapids, are getting less funding now than they did in 2005 and 2006.
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/255960/14/East-Grand-Rapids-School-District-sends-letter-to-parents-about-budget-deficit

mczerone
10-08-2013, 02:24 PM
But he'll still make waves for challenging Amash because, for us, at least, it's seen as the establishment trying to kick out a liberty leaning Republican. Sounds like you're in Michigan, though. In your opinion, do you have an idea of what some people think of Amash?

His district is in an entirely different world than where I am, so I have no idea how he fares with the bulk of voters there. I do know that DeVos (head of Amway, lots of community investment) is backing him, and he is the biggest businessman in Grand Rapids.

mczerone
10-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Do we want to advertise this shill here?

Do we want to ignore the competition?

jct74
10-08-2013, 03:01 PM
New primary challenger to take on Rep. Justin Amash

By LINDSEY SMITH
10:45 AM TUE OCTOBER 8, 2013

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/michigan/files/styles/card_280/public/201310/ellis_brian_lindsey.jpg

This morning, Grand Rapids businessman Brian Ellis told supporters he’s challenging Congressman Justin Amash (R-Grand Rapids) because Amash “has failed to advance a conservative agenda.”

“This race is about a district that expects and deserves to be represented by a true social and fiscal conservative” Ellis said.

It only took thirty seconds for Ellis to mention his rival.

“I’m standing here today because I have very different views from Justin Amash,” Ellis said.

It turns out Ellis and Amash have some similar views. They both are not fans of the new health care law, both think the federal government needs to get its spending under control, and they’re both pro-life.

But Ellis says Amash doesn’t vote like the principled conservative he claims to be.

“Well anybody can say, like Justin, that he’s conservative, but he has a voting record and it doesn’t line up,” Ellis explained to reporters after his announcement.

read more:
http://michiganradio.org/post/new-primary-challenger-take-rep-justin-amash

jct74
10-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Brian's campaign website:

h ttp://ellis4congress.com/

and facebook:

h ttps://www.facebook.com/ellis4congress

Bastiat's The Law
10-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Chew this guy up and spit him out liberty movement.

Mr.NoSmile
10-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Read a comment on Amash's Facebook page from someone- whose been commenting a lot today- that they're a Democrat, but they're voting for the other Republican for the sole reason that they want the 'terrorist/anarchist Justin Amash out of office.' Can't help but be perplexed at the fact that someone from the opposing party would rather vote for yet another Republican rather than look for someone in their own party, and only because they want the Republican they don't like out of office.

Mind-boggling, but not exactly new.

RP Supporter
10-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Read a comment on Amash's Facebook page from someone- whose been commenting a lot today- that they're a Democrat, but they're voting for the other Republican for the sole reason that they want the 'terrorist/anarchist Justin Amash out of office.' Can't help but be perplexed at the fact that someone from the opposing party would rather vote for yet another Republican rather than look for someone in their own party, and only because they want the Republican they don't like out of office.

Mind-boggling, but not exactly new.

I'll never understand people who dislike Amash. even if you 100% disagree with him, he's the only congressman I know of who posts an explanation for most if not all of his votes, and will actually answer questions and comments on facebook. He's clearly doing all he can to be a true representative.

From my experience, I notice that many liberals are willing to give him credit for his work on fighting surveillance. Butt here remains a segment of true statists that believe any questioning of the government(especially a Democrat led government) is tantamount to treason. I'm sure they'd love to replace Amash with another Republican yes man who does not care one whit about individual liberty or privacy. They want to keep the fight black and white, not add in shades of gray.

susano
10-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I live in Amash's district but I don't have much of a social circle so I don't know how he's perceived and I'm not involved in politics, at all. I know that on the August congressional break he had big turnouts for town hall and constituent meetings with overwhelming public opposition to bombing Syria.

A challenge like this concerns me because we're talking Amway $$$$$ and that probably means Xe/Blackwater (Eric Prince) money, too, because Erik Prince's sister, Betsy DeVos (Amway wife) used to be head of the Michigan Republican party. So, we're talking about billionaires here. Of course, it was the Michigan GOP and it's chairman, Saul Anuzi, who kept Ron Paul out the Mackinac Conference, where these muckty mucks meet every summer. HOWEVER, Rand won their straw poll this year: http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/09/rand_paul_tops_presidential_st.html This makes me think it would be really beneficial if Rand started making some appearances here.

Anyway, a quick search turned up this lawsuit against Ellis (which he lost), though I have no idea where to locate what it was about: http://www.grcourt.org/reports/2012/civil_1112.html

012-GC-0001153 Asset Acceptance, LLC Brian Ellis 1610 Francis SE Grand Rapids MI 49507-2456 Plaintiff 1161.76 13-NOV-12

Asset Acceptance is a collection agency.

Here's something written by Ellis, trashing Amash's "present" vote on the Keystone Pipeline: http://www.mlive.com/opinion/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/06/brian_ellis_justin_amash_shoul.html

BTW, that says Amash supports the pipeline - but the pipeline is an attack on private property. That's another subject, though.

Mr.NoSmile
10-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Anyone else notice that the likes on Amash's Facebook have steadily increased since this announcement? Whether that's from supporters, detractors who just want to monitor him, or whomever else, just something I noticed.

Keith and stuff
10-08-2013, 09:39 PM
I thought the Amway guy was behind Amash?

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/10/amway_corp_founder_and_heirs_g.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/07/amway_co-founder_richard_devos.html

susano
10-08-2013, 10:11 PM
I thought the Amway guy was behind Amash?

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/10/amway_corp_founder_and_heirs_g.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/07/amway_co-founder_richard_devos.html

I didn't know this. As I said, I'm not involved in politics. It really surprises me, though. I wonder if any of these people are the ones behind Ellis, now. It mentions a VanAndel (the other Amway founder) and there is a huge VanAndel institute biomedical sciences place here. I noticed on Ellis' Linkedin that he was on a governor's steering committee on life sciences and technology. Somebody connected to local GOP goings on may know who the money alluded to is behind Ellis.

Michael Landon
10-08-2013, 10:37 PM
A couple of things, and maybe Matt Collins may be able to answer this one first, what are the chances that Rand Paul or RandPAC will be willing to endorse Amash's reelection and promote this primary battle to help him? The same question applies to Cruz, Lee, and perhaps others like Palin and Gingrich, who have supported Rand/Cruz/Lee. A mass e-mail by those people would help immensely in fundraising. Second, how does the primary work in Michigan? Can democrats vote against Amash in the primary to see this yahoo get the nomination only to vote for the democrat in the general? Or is there a party registration that prohibits cross voting? Third, if Amash does fail to receive the nomination, will he have the opportunity to run as the nominee of the Libertarian Party or are there sore-loser laws that would prevent him? And finally, if Amash loses the nomination and can't run as a third party candidate, will his supporters vote for the Democrat to prove a point?

- ML

EBounding
10-09-2013, 06:24 AM
Second, how does the primary work in Michigan? Can democrats vote against Amash in the primary to see this yahoo get the nomination only to vote for the democrat in the general? Or is there a party registration that prohibits cross voting?

Michigan has a "closed primary", but for all intents and purposes, it's an open primary. You just pick a Democrat or Republican ballot at your voting location so you can't cross-vote. You don't have to register beforehand.

erowe1
10-09-2013, 07:10 AM
I do know that DeVos (head of Amway, lots of community investment) is backing him

How do you know this?

erowe1
10-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Michigan has a "closed primary", but for all intents and purposes, it's an open primary. You just pick a Democrat or Republican ballot at your voting location so you can't cross-vote. You don't have to register beforehand.

Doesn't that make it an open primary?

Brett85
10-09-2013, 07:42 AM
It sounds like this could be a problem for Justin, if this guy raises a lot more money than Justin and outspends him by a large amount.

EBounding
10-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Doesn't that make it an open primary?

Yes, but the State calls it a closed primary. And that was just for the Presidential primary. The last August primary was open. It'd be nice to go to a caucus/convention system to select party candidates.

mczerone
10-09-2013, 09:21 AM
How do you know this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Devos+amash&oq=Devos+amash&aqs=chrome..69i57.6911j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espvd=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

VoluntaryAmerican
10-09-2013, 09:36 AM

Your donation has been successfully processed. You will receive an email receipt with your confirmation. Please note that this donation will appear on your bank account or credit card statement

erowe1
10-09-2013, 09:44 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=Devos+amash&oq=Devos+amash&aqs=chrome..69i57.6911j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espvd=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

I thought you were saying that Devos supported Ellis.

It looks like you meant he was supporting Amash. But still, all those articles were about previous elections weren't they?

Cleaner44
10-09-2013, 10:28 AM
I created a quick website so we can gather details on this joker:
https://ellis4congress.wordpress.com/

FSP-Rebel
10-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Amash's latest fundraising tally comes out on the 15th and I've heard it's pretty solid. His last reelection is where he was the most vulnerable as he was fresh out of a redistricting change and his profile has been enhanced exponentially since. He's got plenty of political allies both on and off the field that will come to his rescue if it is ever needed. But as always, never let your Ace hang out to dry.

jtap
10-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Congressman Justin Amash has turned his back on our conservative principles by voting against the Paul Ryan Budget that would cut spending by $5 trillion...

Haha. So voting against a budget that was almost indistinguishable from the democrat's budget is "turning his back on conservative principles"? Pathetic.

I guess the moral of the story is don't cross the good old boy network and vote against the party or they will come after you.

cajuncocoa
10-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Donating to Justin has become my priority. We cannot lose him.

jct74
10-09-2013, 07:15 PM
here's a WSJ article on the primary challenge, Ellis says he is ready to throw in up to a million bucks.

Mr. Ellis, who said he is prepared to cover as much as half of the anticipated $2 million cost of a primary campaign, kicked off his candidacy by portraying Mr. Amash as a bomb-thrower who helped bring about the government shutdown. “The way Justin tries to govern is disruptive and chaotic, and that is of great concern to me,” he said in an interview in his downtown office in this west-central Michigan city.

http://stream.wsj.com/story/campaign-2012-continuous-coverage/SS-2-9156/SS-2-350648/

jct74
10-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Brian Ellis interview with The Washington Free Beacon (Kristol affiliated neocon rag)

Brian Ellis, the president of Grand Rapids investment firm Brooktree Capital Management, announced that he would challenge Amash for his House seat on Tuesday. However, Ellis disputed the notion that he is running as an “establishment” candidate against Amash, who has been supported by Tea Party groups.

“I’m not challenging the Tea Party at all,” Ellis said. “In fact if you look at the tenets of the Tea Party, it lines up with being a conservative Republican. And Justin Amash is not a conservative Republican, based on his voting record.”

“He wants to be the next Ron Paul, and all I want to do is a good job for the citizens of the 3rd district,” said Ellis. “I don’t think his focus is here, his focus is elsewhere.”

He also predicted that foreign policy would play a large role in the campaign.

“I’m a strong proponent of a strong and viable national defense,” said Ellis. “I’m concerned about what I see are isolationist tendencies. I don’t think that serves our country well going forward, so this will be an issue.”

http://freebeacon.com/conservative-brian-ellis-to-challenge-justin-amash-in-republican-primary/

Michael Landon
10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
If Amash loses, I hope he seeks the Libertarian Party nomination and runs third party. I'm not sure about sore-loser laws in Michigan but if he is able to, I hope he would consider doing this.

- ML

jtstellar
10-09-2013, 08:47 PM
what's the status on amash's fundraising

and what's the deadline.. does he have any time to run ads

Bastiat's The Law
10-09-2013, 08:50 PM
If Amash loses, I hope he seeks the Libertarian Party nomination and runs third party. I'm not sure about sore-loser laws in Michigan but if he is able to, I hope he would consider doing this.

- ML

That would be a disaster.

Mr.NoSmile
10-09-2013, 09:02 PM

and what's the deadline.. does he have anytime to run ads

Given that he's in Washington now, wouldn't he mostly focus on running ads, debating and that sort of thing when it's campaign season? Yes, it helps to get a jump on things, but he's still fighting the good fight in Washington.

invisible
10-09-2013, 10:28 PM

and what's the deadline.. does he have anytime to run ads

Back in 2007-8, we ran a lot of the ads for Ron Paul ourselves. No reason why we can't do it again now for Amash, if needed.

milgram
10-09-2013, 11:08 PM
But still, all those articles were about previous elections weren't they?

Endorsed very recently here, apparently Justin is a longtime acquaintance

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/some-tea-party-congressmen-find-signs-of-political-backlash-at-home/2013/10/06/d13d698a-2d27-11e3-b139-029811dbb57f_story_2.html

But the business establishment here is hardly united against Amash. One of the biggest names in this city, Douglas L. DeVos, president of Amway and son of the multinational corporation’s founder, is actively supporting the congressman’s reelection.

DeVos recently wrote a letter to Michigan business leaders urging them to give the maximum $5,200 to Amash right away. The donations, DeVos wrote, would help Amash avoid an “unnecessary and expensive challenge.” In the most recent filing, Amash had just $164,000 in his campaign account.

DeVos, who is neighbors with Amash’s parents and has known the congressman since his childhood, said in an interview that he is “developing very strongly.”

“You’ve always got to stand on principles,” DeVos said. “Without that, how can you ever negotiate or talk to people about anything?”

EDIT: Not bad, this thread is already on the second page of search results for brian ellis michigan and brian ellis congress. Tried a fresh browser + proxy and it ranks about the same.

Cleaner44
10-09-2013, 11:34 PM
In Ellis's time as the president of the school board East Grand Rapids has faced massive deficits. I can find articles from 2009-2013 addressing this issue. He certainly seems to be no fiscal conservative.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/255960/14/East-Grand-Rapids-School-District-sends-letter-to-parents-about-budget-deficit

Here is a nice little post to sum this up:
East Grand Rapids School District faces $1.5 million budget deficit (http://ellis4congress.wordpress.com/2013/05/09/east-grand-rapids-school-district-faces-1-5-million-budget-deficit/)

Remember when Doug Wead suggested we learn about search engine optimization? I decided to act on his advise.

What is the next story to add?

TaftFan
10-09-2013, 11:35 PM

We need to get the hit counter up on this.

PAF
10-10-2013, 06:46 AM

This might be useful:

"Grand Rapids Public Schools has begun the process of aligning the current curriculum and assessments with these new content standards."

http://www.grps.org/academics-common-core

Rocco
10-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Just posted the wordpress article up to Ellis's facebook page....THIS is where we can have a real impact. Lets make his social media life hell!

https://www.facebook.com/ellis4congress

Cleaner44
10-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Just posted the wordpress article up to Ellis's facebook page....THIS is where we can have a real impact. Lets make his social media life hell!

Right on. The wordpress article may get deleted from them but we can all comment on their facebook posts and call out Ellis for his bullshit. There are already great comments setting the record straight there.

Cleaner44
10-10-2013, 09:13 AM
I am thinking we should make it a daily activism effort to visit the Ellis Facebook page and add comments or at least LIKE the pro Amash comments.

FSP-Rebel
10-10-2013, 10:49 AM
I am thinking we should make it a daily activism effort to visit the Ellis Facebook page and add comments or at least LIKE the pro Amash comments.
Agreed but I advise all to be civil, report the facts and don't antagonize or come off negatively on Amash. So far, good job Rocco!

Rocco
10-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Agree 1000%, with the same caveat FSP Rebel mentioned. Gotta win the social media battle!

Anti-Neocon
10-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Someone might want to bring up that one of his only three FB likes is Talking Points Memo, a known leftist site. I've never understood the whole obsession with "the liberal media blah blah" but the kind of people that listen to Rush Limbaugh take that stuff seriously.

Brett85
10-10-2013, 08:45 PM

I just posted a comment:

"You support a plan by Congressman Ryan that balances the budget 26 years from now. How exactly can we afford to wait 26 years to balance the budget and add trillions more to the national debt?"

Lol, I wonder how long all of these comments will stay up.

EBounding
10-11-2013, 11:59 AM
This guy's weapons are the Keystone Pipeline and Planned Parenthood. Weak sauce. I'd love to see a townhall debate, even if Amash was 20 points ahead.

Bastiat's The Law
10-11-2013, 12:11 PM
I hope the big boys come to help Justin campaign. Ron, Rand, maybe even Cruz.

Brett85
10-11-2013, 05:38 PM

Especially Lee, since Lee and Amash are good friends and Lee even encouraged him to run for the Senate.

Brett85
10-11-2013, 05:39 PM
So far, none of my posts on his Facebook page have been erased. We'll see how long that lasts.

jct74
10-13-2013, 07:20 PM
man, this guy's attacks are really lame...

Mr. Ellis called Mr. Amash’s “present” votes a “cop-out.”

“I just think voting present is disrespectful to the citizens of the third district,” he said. “It means we’re not represented at all. You need to take a stand.”

One area where Mr. Amash has skillfully hammered past opponents is on his record of never missing a vote compared to those of his opponents, who may not have missed many on a percentage basis, but the number looks big on a raw number basis.

Mr. Ellis said attendance is important, but how you vote is more important.

“He can get his little gold star for attendance, but I think the citizens of this district deserve a representative who votes with conservative Republican values,” he said. “This, to me, is a conservative Republican district. I think they want a representative that reflects those values and our present representative does not.”

h ttp://ellis4congress.com/news/ellis-comes-out-firing-on-amash/

Bastiat's The Law
10-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Especially Lee, since Lee and Amash are good friends and Lee even encouraged him to run for the Senate.

Yeah, Mike Lee would be great!

Cleaner44
10-13-2013, 07:36 PM

This is where we will find out who the friends of liberty are.

Cleaner44
10-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Agreed but I advise all to be civil, report the facts and don't antagonize or come off negatively on Amash. So far, good job Rocco!

Agree 1000%, with the same caveat FSP Rebel mentioned. Gotta win the social media battle!

Agreed. Facts should be our allies.

MichaelDavis
10-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Just a heads up: neoconservative is not an insult for most Republican candidates. If you have knowledge about his foreign policy views, call him a "warmonger". If he supports Syrian intervention, be sure to mention that.

Bastiat's The Law
10-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Just a heads up: neoconservative is not an insult for most Republican candidates. If you have knowledge about his foreign policy views, call him a "warmonger". If he supports Syrian intervention, be sure to mention that.

You'd actually get further if you spin it as him being allied with al Qaeda and supporting them. The warmongers are so overzealous for war that they've allied themselves with al Qaeda.

Slutter McGee
10-17-2013, 01:24 AM
If the challenge gets serious Amash should start playing the game like Rand. At least until he is entrenched.

Ron did it.

Slutter McGee

Brett85
10-17-2013, 12:01 PM
This guy has been flat out lying about Justin's positions on his Facebook page. I've been calling him out on it. Others should as well.

EBounding
10-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Looks like you struck a nerve with him, lol. Here's his lame response:

https://www.facebook.com/ellis4congress/posts/394104687384122

We have received several comments regarding the history/budget deficiencies during the time I was on the school board, which I want to address.

The school board deliberately built up its surplus so that when times were bad we would could weather the storm. Due to the difficult economy, the state did cut funding and raised pension costs to school districts so we deliberately drew down our surplus in a prudent manner to maintain programs for children.

For more information on my role om East Grand Rapids, Michigan's school board, view my LinkedIn profile:

EBounding
10-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Brian Ellis interview with The Washington Free Beacon (Kristol affiliated neocon rag)

“I’m not challenging the Tea Party at all,” Ellis said. “In fact if you look at the tenets of the Tea Party, it lines up with being a conservative Republican. And Justin Amash is not a conservative Republican, based on his voting record.”

http://freebeacon.com/conservative-brian-ellis-to-challenge-justin-amash-in-republican-primary/

I think this guy is purposely trolling us (https://www.facebook.com/ellis4congress/posts/396239273837330).

Brett85
10-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Now this guy has his paid people defending him on his Facebook page.

jct74
10-18-2013, 09:19 AM
I think this guy is purposely trolling us (https://www.facebook.com/ellis4congress/posts/396239273837330).

haha yeah it does seem that way, this is what someone commented below that facebook post:

Brian Ellis: “I’m not challenging the Tea Party at all"

Posts article about the GOP pushing back against the Tea party.

he really does seem like Trey Grayson 2.0 with his lame attacks and running on nothing of substance, I wonder how much money he is planning on throwing away in this race...

Rocco
10-18-2013, 09:27 AM
How do you know they're paid?

Now this guy has his paid people defending him on his Facebook page.

jct74
10-18-2013, 09:49 AM
looks like he just wiped clean the "Posts by Others" section of his facebook page that was loaded with negative comments.

edit: all the posts are back now a few hours later, either they changed their mind or it was a glitch on facebook.

EBounding
10-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Ellis' arsenal:

Keystone
Asian Carp
Ron Paul
Planned Parenthood

And other than maybe one guy, everyone else supporting Ellis on that facebook page are just Democrat trolls, it's really pathetic.

jct74
10-22-2013, 06:44 PM
here's his announcement speech that he uploaded to his youtube channel yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v1WnWZrWQY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v1WnWZrWQY

Brett85
10-23-2013, 07:26 AM
How do you know they're paid?

I don't know. I was just joking. :)

compromise
10-23-2013, 11:01 AM

I think Lee will, dunno about Cruz. Lee and Amash are pretty close friends, they often have dinner with one another.

Cleaner44
10-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Today is a good day for trolling the Facebook page of Ellis...

Amash Receives Taxpayers’ Friend Award (http://amash.house.gov/press-release/amash-receives-taxpayers%E2%80%99-friend-award)

Rocco
10-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Looks like Ellis has been beaten into submission on facebook....5 days since he went negative on Amash. We're having an impact!

EBounding
10-28-2013, 08:01 PM
I got bored with his page once I found it it was only card-carrying Michigan democrats supporting him. :P

Anti-Neocon
10-30-2013, 03:18 AM
Apparently a group called Main Street Advocacy funded by establishment billionaires has 8 million in the bank that they're willing to put toward stifling the Tea Party in the upcoming primary season. This is no laughing matter.

http://www.mainstreetadvocacy.com/detroit-news-tables-turn-on-the-michigan-tea-party/

Mikezelot
10-30-2013, 09:56 AM
I have been reading through this guys facebook page and this is hilarious good job everybody keep up the good work!

EBounding
11-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Here come the smears:

h ttps://www.facebook.com/ellis4congress/posts/408236169304307

I won't describe it here.

mad cow
11-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Has the Libertarian Party settled on which candidate they are going to run against him yet?

Rocco
11-12-2013, 01:52 PM
The Ellis idiot finally responded to my post. Be sure to get your reply in there!

https://www.facebook.com/ellis4congress/posts/408236169304307

EBounding
11-12-2013, 02:09 PM
The Ellis idiot finally responded to my post. Be sure to get your reply in there!

https://www.facebook.com/ellis4congress/posts/408236169304307

The hypocrisy (assuming what they're saying is even true) is amazing. I hope Amash doesn't take the bait and completely ignores this.

Rocco
11-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Ellis finally banned me :( Be sure to post this on his wall!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU9vulSGWkg#t=74

jct74
11-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Brian Ellis claims to agree with Justin on NSA, but says Edward Snowden is a "flat-out traitor".

"To me, it's two separate issues," Ellis said. "I'm not privy to all the data and information that (Amash) has, but by everything I read, it appears as if the NSA has overstepped the bounds and possibly is being too intrusive with collection of the data. We should reign that in.

"Where I'm not in agreement (with Amash,) ... when a government contractor takes our secrets ... goes to a foreign country and spills, Amash calls that a whistleblower. I have a problem with that. He's a flat-out traitor in my book.

"I agree with what (Amash) is doing. Again, if the NSA appears, I'm going by what I read, if this steps over the line, then by all means our privacy should be protected. Our privacy and and safety always has been at tension. It appears we have overreacted from 9/11 and 9/11 was a horrific event, and our government has reacted to keep us safe. I think we all want safety ... but that doesn't give (Edward) Snowden a pass. He's broken laws.

"He's exposing our precious methods and information all designed to keep the country safe. That is not a whistleblower in my mind. ... There's a way to do that within our country and within our laws and he chose to violate that and disclose that information."

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/11/brian_ellis_amashs_actions_in.html

jct74
11-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Ellis finally banned me :( Be sure to post this on his wall!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU9vulSGWkg#t=74

there has been a lot more people posting on his facebook page ever since the mini-debate on the radio yesterday, the interview was posted on Ben Swann's site so I think that is where some people came from.

https://www.facebook.com/BenSwannRealityCheck/posts/616984981699789

TaftFan
11-15-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm posting as Don Hall on there.

Cathy Ann, Joyce Simonson, and Nancy Sue Martin are liberals who troll Amash's page. Call them out if you get the chance.

jct74
11-16-2013, 06:18 AM
Ellis has a new smear website up stopamash.com, it says Justin voted with Obama 51% of the time in 2012 and repeats a few other of his worn out attacks about the Keystone pipeline, Paul Ryan budget, Planned Parenthood, etc. here's a screenshot of it so you don't have to give it any traffic.

http://i.imgur.com/o5v8NbU.png

Brett85
11-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Brian Ellis claims to agree with Justin on NSA

He knows which way the wind is blowing.

Natural Citizen
11-16-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm posting as Don Hall on there.

Cathy Ann, Joyce Simonson, and Nancy Sue Martin are liberals who troll Amash's page. Call them out if you get the chance.

You crack me up sometimes, taft. Get me to giggling, man.

Love the Tom Selleck pic, btw. Heh.

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1422538_1386944024882013_2080915258_n.jpg