PDA

View Full Version : 'Truckers for the Constitution' Plan to Slow D.C. Beltway, Arrest Congressmen

CaseyJones
10-07-2013, 01:48 PM
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/10/07/truckers-for-the-constitution-plan-to-slow-dc-beltway-arrest-congressmen

Tractor-trailer drivers will intentionally clog the inner loop of the Washington, D.C., beltway beginning on the morning of Oct. 11, according to a coordinator of the upcoming "Truckers Ride for the Constitution" rally.

Organizers of the three-day ride want to call attention to a litany of trucker frustrations and express their disapproval of national political leaders.

Earl Conlon, a Georgia trucker who is handling logistics for the protest, told U.S. News tractor-trailer drivers will circle the beltway "three lanes deep" as he rides with other participants to Congress to seek the arrest of congressmen for allegedly disregarding the Constitution.

The truckers circling I-495 will keep the left lane open for emergency vehicles, Conlon said, but "everybody that doesn't have a supporter sticker on their window, good luck: Nobody in, nobody out." The trucks will be going the 55 mile-per-hour speed limit.

D.C. commuters who wish to be allowed past the convoy must have "T2SDA" – an acronym for the event's original name, "Truckers to Shut Down America" – written on their vehicle, he said.

"It's going to be real fun for anyone who is not a supporter," Conlon said, "[and] if cops decide to give us a hard time, we're going to lock the brakes up, we're going to stop right there, we're going to be a three lane roadblock."

shane77m
10-07-2013, 01:50 PM
I would love to see them attempt to arrest those that have trashed the Constitution. I would also love to see them lock up their breaks and park. Maybe a good time for some militias to ride shotgun.

angelatc
10-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Oh I hope this happens. But the media will never breathe a word of it.

tod evans
10-07-2013, 02:02 PM
This is good! :D

ClydeCoulter
10-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Oh I hope this happens. But the media will never breathe a word of it.

Maybe they guys that were going to join Adam should ride shotgun :)

aGameOfThrones
10-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Hope they don't get shot.

10-07-2013, 02:06 PM
It didn't really work the last time they tried it, traffic still flowed. I think it's not so smart for guys who drive for a living to risk their license on this.

In general most DC protests usually get about 10% the expected turnout. It's easy to signup for something on fedbook and a lot harder to actually show up in DC.

Lucille
10-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Awesome.

I read they're offering free rides for the Million Vet March on the Memorials (https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=540682759341908&id=539097822833735). Hopefully they'll have a good turnout since two groups will now be there on the 13th.

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1379442_540488762694641_397871666_n.png

TRANSPORTATION/LODGING:
We are not arranging transportation or lodging for the October 13th event in DC. If you'd like to attend and are looking for a ride, the Truckers Ride For The Constitution (https://www.facebook.com/ridefortheconstitution?directed_target_id=0) recommends posting your location on their wall and they will see if they can connect you with a trucker heading that way.

FSP-Rebel
10-07-2013, 02:15 PM

tangent4ronpaul
10-07-2013, 02:16 PM
"We are not going to ask for impeachment," Conlon said. "We are coming whether they like it or not. We're not asking for impeachment, we're asking for the arrest of everyone in government who has violated their oath of office."

Conlon cited the idea of a citizens grand jury – meaning a pool of jurors convened without court approval – as the mechanism for indicting the officials.

"We want these people arrested, and we're coming in with the grand jury to do it," he said. "We are going to ask the law enforcement to uphold their constitutional oath and make these arrests. If they refuse to do it, by the power of the people of the United States and the people's grand jury, they don't want to do it, we will. ... We the people will find a way."

It's almost certain that anyone attempting to "arrest" a member of Congress would be arrested themselves for attempted kidnapping.

Conlon and Andrews say Obama committed "treason" by allegedly funneling weapons to al-Qaida-linked rebels in Syria. Members of Congress who support arming Syrian rebels, Conlon said, are accessories to the alleged crime. He identified House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., as politicians he will seek to arrest for alleged acts against the Constitution.

Andrews said last week 3,000 truckers had RSVP-ed to the event, and Conlon says he's now lost count of the number. He says he's receiving around 100 emails a day from prospective participants.

"What we want to do is go in nice and peaceful and keep it as peaceful as possible... but if they decide to get ugly with us we're going to do what we have to do," he said. "If all I get is one or two congressmen walked out of there in handcuffs, that will be a shot across the bow that will ripple across all branches of government. ... I hope they are all civil enough and brave enough to step out onto the congressional steps."

Trucker-specific grievances behind the protest include Environmental Protection Agency fuel efficiency standards and the high cost of diesel fuel. State and local anti-idling laws as well as insurance companies purportedly requiring technological updates are among the irritations, as is the perceived deterioration of Fourth Amendment rights protecting truckers' cabs.

Whether or not the truckers pack a punch to D.C. area traffic depends on the number and intensity level of participants. A similar three-day protest in 2007, against illegal immigration and competition from Mexican truckers, did not spoil commutes as feared, the Washington Examiner reported. A Facebook page advertising the upcoming ride has close to 50,000 likes.

Absolutely DELICIOUS!

-t

CaseyJones
10-07-2013, 04:51 PM
bump

jllundqu
10-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Too bad they are making it a partisan issue. If they were equally threatening Repubs who also 'violated their oaths' I would be more apt to support such a move.

TaftFan
10-07-2013, 05:10 PM
They are going to need help if they want to arrest anybody.

better-dead-than-fed
10-08-2013, 12:47 AM
I think it's not so smart for guys who drive for a living to risk their license on this.

If everyone were as smart as you, we'd all live on the border with one foot in communist Canada.

fr33
10-08-2013, 01:14 AM
It didn't really work the last time they tried it, traffic still flowed. I think it's not so smart for guys who drive for a living to risk their license on this.

In general most DC protests usually get about 10% the expected turnout. It's easy to signup for something on fedbook and a lot harder to actually show up in DC.

Yeah, well, you're always a hand-wringing nancy-boy that talks down to activists.

#PartOfTHEProblem

CaseyJones
10-08-2013, 06:41 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/08/truckers-ride-for-the-constitution_n_4061118.html

A coalition of tea party truck drivers is planning a government shutdown demonstration on the Capital Beltway that rings Washington.

"Truckers Ride For The Constitution" -- known as "Truckers To Shutdown America" before their original Facebook page was shut down -- plans to clog the Interstate 495 inner loop from Oct. 11 to Oct. 13.

The truckers said they hope create enough of a backup on the highway to express their frustration with the "lawlessness" of members of Congress "who refuse to work on behalf of the American people."

"It has become apparent that our elected official [sic] will never respond to the will of the people as long as their greed wealth is not jeopardized," the demonstration organizers said in a press release. "The only thing that motivates every politician is their money -- cutting off their money-flow cuts off their life-blood. The Independent Truckers in the United States essentially keep commerce flowing for benefit of the central government.”

The group went on to list other grievances, saying truckers are "strangled with regulations" and the government "now support[s] Al Qaeda."

10-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Yeah, well, you're always a hand-wringing nancy-boy that talks down to activists.

#PartOfTHEProblem

You say "activist", I say dumbass let's call the whole thing off?

Losing your license and/or means of employment helps nobody.

better-dead-than-fed
10-08-2013, 07:24 AM

That's just dumbass speculation. I'd bet money they won't lose their licenses, and if they did, the government would be making a big mistake which would blow back onto them. In any case, they will get attention from the media, which is obviously their goal.

ClydeCoulter
10-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Their Twitter account shut down?
http://benswann.com/twitter-shuts-down-truckers-ride-for-the-constitution-is-social-media-unfairly-targeting-the-group/

osan
10-08-2013, 07:50 AM
I applaud the spirit of this. Arrest congressmen? They can try and if so I hope they succeed, but getting yourself shot is perhaps not quite yet the best way to proceed. But I understand the sentiments there.

tod evans
10-08-2013, 07:52 AM
I applaud the spirit of this. Arrest congressmen? They can try and if so I hope they succeed, but getting yourself shot is perhaps not quite yet the best way to proceed. But I understand the sentiments there.

A peoples court is in the spirit of justice as I understand the concept.

better-dead-than-fed
10-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Their Twitter account shut down?
http://benswann.com/twitter-shuts-down-truckers-ride-for-the-constitution-is-social-media-unfairly-targeting-the-group/

"First Twitter came for BDTF, and I did not speak out because I wasn't a BDTF. Then Twitter came for the truckers...."

Matthew5
10-08-2013, 07:59 AM
The democrats should form a private militia to protect their politicians.

Shay's Rebellion II: Haulers on the Hill

kathy88
10-08-2013, 08:12 AM

Could you at least pretend not to be a pussy if you're going to post here?

10-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Could you at least pretend not to be a pussy if you're going to post here?

None of us will do any good in jail, being prohibited persons or dead. That's where a lot of the stupid activities championed on here lately will lead you.

JK/SEA
10-08-2013, 08:30 AM
None of us will do any good in jail, being prohibited persons or dead. That's where a lot of the stupid activities championed on here lately will lead you.

LOL...

keep writing those strongly worded letters to Congress. I think you're having a huge impact on those guys....and gals.

kudos. Thank God for hard working Patriots such as yourself.

Acala
10-08-2013, 09:06 AM
I am a big fan of civil disobedience. But I am more than a little doubtful that these folks have any real understaning of the Constitution.

better-dead-than-fed
10-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Mod who censored my post, why?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?429837-Why-was-my-post-censored

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
10-08-2013, 09:11 AM
I support the general idea here but I wish they would make it non partisan and announce they are targeting Republicans who obviously don't give a crap about the Constitution as well. Further, obeying the speed limit is not exactly a way to show you are sticking it to the man and lastly, they have no right to take a highway for themselves and keep everyone off who does not have some slogan written on their car. If I want to drive down that road and they try to block me simply for not writing all over my car than they better hope they left enough room for an emergency vehicle because they are going to need one.

AuH20
10-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Trucking is the lifeblood of nearly all cities in the US. Too bad too many are ignorant to this fact. No trucks = no life.

pcosmar
10-08-2013, 09:29 AM
http://www.teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/images/NYC_truckers_strike.jpg

There is a serious problem with unarmed peaceful protest.

http://www.andrewsiam.org/images/labor_history_images/1912_Lawrence_Textile_Strike_1.jpg

Acala
10-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Mod who censored my post, why?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?429837-Why-was-my-post-censored

Looks to me like you got a pretty good explanation from JDV in the other thread. Why are you posting this here?

better-dead-than-fed
10-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Looks to me like you got a pretty good explanation from JDV in the other thread. Why are you posting this here?

JDV hadn't replied yet when I posted that in this thread; I did it because I figured whoever censored it would be reading this thread, but maybe not the one downstairs. And now thanks to your question, two more posts about this are here. Maybe if it's left alone, this will be the last?

DGambler
10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Think this guy will show up?

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs49/i/2009/154/a/c/Post_Apocalyptic_Semi_by_Clayman8.jpg

osan
10-08-2013, 11:29 AM
A peoples court is in the spirit of justice as I understand the concept.

Agreed. I was commenting on the multitudinous number of men with military weapons who will no doubt run to the aid of any congressman being taken into custodyby lowly mundanes. If they mean to arrest such people, they'd better come well armed, well organized, and very well ready for some serious bloodshed because that would be no cake walk.

osan
10-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Trucking is the lifeblood of nearly all cities in the US. Too bad too many are ignorant to this fact. No trucks = no life.

Ignorance exacts its price, eventually... inevitably.

JK/SEA
10-08-2013, 01:12 PM
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Lucille
10-08-2013, 01:14 PM
In the comments, TheHillman believes they're making "terrorist threats." What's even more hysterical is that he is lamenting that they would be shutting down police and military response (BHRH), as if that's a bad thing.

Capital Beltway shutdown just a ploy for attention, trucker says
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/capital-beltway-shutdown-all-a-ploy-trucker-says/2013/10/08/1e446572-3033-11e3-bbed-a8a60c601153_story.html

Conlon’s comments in a U.S. News & World Report story that he and thousands of truckers from across the country (and possibly Canada) planned to come to D.C. on Friday and bring traffic to a standstill on the inner loop of the Capital Beltway zinged across the Web, picked up by outlets ranging from Fox News to the Huffington Post. The rally was dubbed “Truckers for the Constitution.”

“The comments to U.S. News were designed to do one thing and one thing only: stir the feather of the mainstream media,” said Conlon, a father of three. “Nothing gets the attention of the mainstream media like some sort of disastrous threat. I knew it was going to ruffle some feathers.”

So while thousands of truckers may indeed come to Washington on Friday and many of them may travel along the inner loop of the Beltway, honking their horns, they won’t intentionally shut down traffic, he said...

Legend1104
10-08-2013, 09:36 PM

Right because Mrs. Parks, King, and others that were thrown in jail did no one any good.

CaseyJones
10-08-2013, 09:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyK1zbYV9BE

someone had to post it

phill4paul
10-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Tiny waves against the shore..now if to combine...bikers...tea party....etc....

There is plenty of discontent...no co-ordination.

puppetmaster
10-08-2013, 09:51 PM

Lose license for what? Driving speed limit?

fr33
10-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Lose license for what? Driving speed limit?

He's not interested in law and order. Maintaining the system is his goal.

better-dead-than-fed
10-09-2013, 02:50 AM
I am a big fan of civil disobedience. But I am more than a little doubtful that these folks have any real understanding of the Constitution.

Congress and their police show no real regard for the Constitution, to be fair, and that imperils social stability, so you may not have the luxury of waiting for Constitutional experts intervene.

better-dead-than-fed
10-09-2013, 03:00 AM
None of us will do any good in jail, being prohibited persons or dead.

That's where we'll all end up unless citizens stop the government's crimes by any means necessary.

Government employees won't do any good in jail or dead; I believe that is why the truckers are urging them to change their ways? Look what happened in Oklahoma City when the country failed to hold government accountable. Blam. Government employees dead, along with collateral damage. Unless that's your goal, I don't understand your objection to relatively mild civil disobedience?

That's where a lot of the stupid activities championed on here lately will lead you.

What are you even referring to?

CaseyJones
10-09-2013, 09:03 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/truckers-protest-convoy-or-con-98008.html?hp=r7

Right-wing activists who have made a media splash by claiming they’ll use big trucks to jam Beltway traffic this weekend are off to a rocky start.

Barely a day after U.S.News & World Report wrote about the “Ride for the Constitution,” organizers are condemning a former compatriot who suggested that the group will “arrest” congressmen. Meanwhile, mainstream trucking industry organizations are disavowing any connection with the activists, including some protest supporters who alleged they plan to snarl traffic for three days by circling Interstate 495 at 55 mph.
Continue Reading

The protest website talks about bringing a million truckers to D.C. or instigating a nationwide trucker strike that would soon mean empty store shelves. Pete Santilli, an Internet radio host who has been serving as the official spokesman for the ride, said the trucker convoy is a “photo op for the press” intended to spawn a larger outcry.

“We’re looking for an Egypt moment, where 100 million people will get out on the street, get out on the roads and demand that our legislature follow the Constitution,” he said.

But then another organizer, Earl Conlon, told The Washington Post on Tuesday that the whole protest is a hoax. “Nothing gets the attention of the mainstream media like some sort of disastrous threat,” he said.

Hoax or not, police agencies say they’re keeping an eye out.

“Virginia State Police is aware of the proposed protest, but we are not in a position to comment on any preparations at this time,” spokeswoman Corinne Geller wrote in an email to POLITICO. She later added that “as long as the vehicles comply with Virginia law, then the Virginia State Police will not interfere with their protest.”

mczerone
10-09-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm glad to see more diversity in the activist camp. My 2 issues with this though:

(1) Asking D.C. for change is like asking a brick wall to help you write a term paper. We need to let the swamp sink and protest when they come to us. Don't go to them.

(2) Creating a public roadblock doesn't win people to your side. Even if this is on a Sunday, people need to get to work, run errands, and enjoy their lives. And I495 isn't just a federal driveway. Disrupting people's lives doesn't make it easier to convince them that your position is right. You need your activism to be HELPFUL to bystanders.

Acala
10-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Congress and their police show no real regard for the Constitution, to be fair, and that imperils social stability, so you may not have the luxury of waiting for Constitutional experts intervene.

If there is going to be a free society reborn on this continent it will be from the ashes of the current one. The fire that produces those ashes will have a variety of contributors. Accordingly, I expect the breakdown of the government-dominated social structure to be chaotic. My hope is that enough people will have enough understanding of liberty that at least one free republic will emerge from the mess. But if all we have is a bunch of angry ignoramuses burning down the house because their personal interests have been thwarted, you can expect that what rises from the ashes will be much like what burned down.

pcosmar
10-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Maintaining the system is his goal.

The system protects the system. :(

pcosmar
10-09-2013, 10:26 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/truckers-protest-convoy-or-con-98008.html?hp=r7

Right-wing activists who have made a media splash by claiming they’ll use big trucks to jam Beltway traffic this weekend are off to a rocky start

oddly enough,, The previous truckers strikes were left wing events,, and there has been a history of them (as I had posted)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis_Teamsters_Strike_of_1934

The Minneapolis General Strike of 1934 grew out of a strike by Teamsters against most of the trucking companies operating in Minneapolis, a major distribution center for the Upper Midwest. The strike began on May 16, 1934 in the Market District (the modern day Warehouse District) and ensuing violence lasted periodically throughout the summer. Led by local leaders associated with the Trotskyist Communist League of America, a group that later founded the Socialist Workers Party (United States), the strike paved the way for the organization of over-the-road drivers and the growth of the Teamsters labor union. It, along with the 1934 West Coast Longshore Strike and the 1934 Toledo Auto-Lite Strike led by the American Workers Party, were also important catalysts for the rise of industrial unionism in the 1930s, much of which was organized through the Congress of Industrial Organizations.

Lucille
10-10-2013, 11:38 AM
VIDEO: Zeeda Andrews, Organizer of ‘Truckers Ride for the Constitution’ ‘On the Record’
http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/video/video-zeeda-andrews-organizer-of-truckers-ride-for-the-constitution-on-the-record/

"Ride for the Constitution is an event that every American can participate in. It's coast-to-coast. The days of the Million Man Marches are over. People are broke, and they can't really make it, they can't really afford it. It's going to go coast-to-coast with your overpasses, your state capitals... This is a peaceful protest. There's not going to be locking up any gears or anything like that, anything unlawful. What we want is the president of the United States removed from office."

Do you support the trucker protest or not? vote in the poll
http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/poll/do-you-support-the-trucker-protest-or-not-vote-in-the-poll/

h/t Denninger, who is also going on strike.

hxxp://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=224999

October 11th-13th was chosen by another group, American truckers, who have also had enough of the scams, frauds and abuses coming from our government to declare that they are going to shut down.

Facebook tried to throw them off, and then in an astonishing act of stupidity Twitter also blocked the group as well. Now there are rumors it was all a hoax, although that may be just another attempt by the mainstream media to discredit something that will actually work. Indeed, it appears that Greta from Fox News interviewed the founder yesterday.

tod evans
10-10-2013, 12:52 PM
95% for in the poll

Acala
10-10-2013, 02:04 PM
I still don't get exactly what they are protesting. This has all the clarity of purpose of Occupy Wall Street

satchelmcqueen
10-10-2013, 04:24 PM
i am so glad this is going to happen. bring it on!!

angelatc
10-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Seems to be happening today. Here is a reporter tweeting it live: https://twitter.com/NickWTOP/status/388647740931985408/photo/1

https://twitter.com/NickWTOP/status/388660153404256256

tod evans
10-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Seems to be happening today. Here is a reporter tweeting it live: https://twitter.com/NickWTOP/status/388647740931985408/photo/1

Best of luck to everyone of 'em!

angelatc
10-11-2013, 08:19 AM