PDA

View Full Version : The List: Unnecessarily Shut Down by Obama to Inflict Public Pain

FrankRep
10-06-2013, 01:45 PM
The List: Unnecessarily Shut Down by Obama to Inflict Public Pain (http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/05/list-obama-closures-for-shutdown)

Breitbart
5 Oct 2013

1. Treatments for Children Suffering From Cancer - The GOP have agreed to a compromise by funding part of the government, including the National Institutes of Health, which offers children with cancer last-chance experimental treatment. Obama has threatened to veto this funding.

2. The World War II Memorial - The WWII memorial on the DC Mall is a 24/7 open-air memorial that is not regularly staffed. Although the White House must have known that WWII veterans in their eighties and nineties had already booked flights to visit this memorial, the White House still found the resources to spitefully barricade the attraction.

The Republican National Committee has offered to cover any costs required to keep the memorial open. The White House refused. Moreover, like the NIH, the GOP will pass a compromise bill that would fund America's national parks. Obama has threatened to veto that bill.

3. Furloughed Military Chaplains Not Allowed to Work for Free - Furloughed military chaplains willing to celebrate Mass and baptisms for free have been told they will be punished for doing so.

4. Business Stops In Florida Keys - Although the GOP have agreed to compromise in the ongoing budget stalemate and fund the parks, Obama has threatened to veto that funding. As a result, small businesses, hunters, and commercial fisherman can't practice their trade. While the feds have deemed the personnel necessary to keep this area open "non-essential," the "enforcement officers" to ensure no business is done are "essential."

5. Obama Blacks Out Sports, Entertainment Programming to Overseas Troops - The American Forces Network (AFN) that provides American sports and entertainment programming to our troops stationed abroad, has been shut down. For some reason, though, AFN News will still broadcast news, just not any of the popular and fun stuff.

Camp David is essential, but popular programming for heroes overseas is non-essential.

6. Obama Closes D-Day Memorial - The GOP have offered to compromise and fund the National Parks. Obama has said he will veto this compromise legislation. As a result, along with 24 other military cemeteries, the D-Day memorial in Normandy has been barricaded.

7. Obama Tries to Close Privately-Funded Mt. Vernon - Although George Washington's Mt. Vernon estate is privately funded, the feds blocked visitors from entering the parking area because the Park Service maintains the lot. Apparently, the New Media publicity resulted in the feds backing down.

8. Obama Closes Over 100 Privately-Managed Parks That Cost No Money to Run - The U.S. Treasury actually makes money from the rent paid by a private company that "employs about 400-500 camp workers and managers across about a dozen states." No federal money is used to operate these parks. No federal employees are used to staff these parks. Taxpayers make a profit from these parks. Still, Obama had them closed and as a result 400-500 employees and a private business are taking it in the neck.

9. Obama Closes Self-Sustaining Colonial Farm It Hasn’t Supported Since 1980 - "For the first time in 40 years, the National Park Service (NPS) has finally succeeded in closing the Farm down to the public. In previous budget dramas, the Farm has always been exempted since the NPS provides no staff or resources to operate the Farm.”

10. Obama Tries to Close State-Run Parks in Wisconsin - "The park service ordered state officials to close the northern unit of the Kettle Moraine, Devil's Lake, and Interstate state parks and the state-owned portion of the Horicon Marsh, but state authorities rebuffed the request because the lion's share of the funding came from state, not federal coffers."

11. Obama Closes Vietnam Memorial - The GOP have passed compromise legislation that would fund national memorials and parks, and open them to the public. Obama threatened a veto. Apparently, the "essential" government employees are those erecting barricades, not those who could keep the memorial open.

12. Obama Closes Privately-Owned Hotel, Police Block Parking Lot - "The operator of a 51-room inn located on U.S. government-owned land in North Carolina abandoned his defiant stance on Thursday to keep the property open despite being ordered to close as part of the federal government shutdown."

October is this inn's prime season. The GOP have offered compromise funding opening the parks. Obama said he will veto that compromise.

State troopers blocked customers from entering the inn's parking lot.

13. Park Service Ranger: 'We've Been Told to Make Life As Difficult For People As We Can' - “It’s a cheap way to deal with the situation,” an angry Park Service ranger in Washington says of the harassment. “We’ve been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It’s disgusting.”

14. Obama Forces Residents Out of Private Homes - "The government shutdown is being felt close to home for some locals. They say they're being forced out of private homes on Lake Mead because they sit on federal land."

The GOP have agreed to fund the parks. Obama has threatened a veto.

15. Acadia Park In Maine Shut Down - '"We’ve been training for two years at CrossFit for this hike — no kidding,” Hart said. She added that the shutdown should be as inconvenient for the Washington politicians who caused it as it is for average citizens.'

The GOP have agreed to fund the parks. Obama said he will veto.

16. Historic Restaurant Open During Last Shutdown Forced to Close - "An iconic Philadelphia restaurant has been forced to close its doors and turn away booked parties because of the government shutdown. …

"Restaurant public relations director Molly Yun said they were notified there was a possibility a closure might happen, but they were allowed to remain open during the last government shutdown 17 years ago."

The restaurant is part of the federal park system, which the GOP have agreed to fund. Obama said he will veto the funding.

17. Obama Shuts Down a Road That Goes Through CO Park: "The Forest Service announcement, in turn, led the Pitkin County commissioners to order that Maroon Creek Road be shut down at the height of the colorful leaf-changing season. Ahead of what is to be one of the busiest weekends of the fall, the road is to be closed to vehicles at T-Lazy-7 Ranch, pending a resolution to the government shutdown."

The GOP have agreed to fund the parks. Obama said he will veto that compromise funding.

18. Residents Plan Protest of Cape Hatteras Closing - "Businesses and residents on the Outer Banks have planned a peaceful protest of the closure of Hatteras Island's beaches due to the government shut down.

"The U.S. House Wednesday passed a measure to reopen national parks and monuments. It will now go to the U.S. Senate."

In the unlikely event the Democrat Senate passes the bill, Obama has threatened a veto of any compromise legislation opening the parks.

19. Obama Blocks People From LOOKING at Mt. Rushmore - "Blocking access to trails and programs at South Dakota’s most popular attraction was one thing, but state officials didn’t expect Congress’ budget stalemate to shut down a view of Mount Rushmore.

"The National Park Service placed cones along highway viewing areas outside Mount Rushmore this week, barring visitors from pulling over and taking pictures of the famed monument.

The cones first went up Oct. 1, said Dusty Johnson, Gov. Dennis Daugaard’s chief of staff. The state asked that they be taken down, and federal officials did so with some of them. The state was told the cones were a safety precaution to help channel cars into viewing areas rather than to bar their entrance."

20. Crucial USDA Websites Taken Down - "The U.S. Department of Agriculture has turned off its entire website in response to the government shutdown, leaving farmers, reporters and others with no way to access any of the agency's information online. …

"USDA's total website shutdown goes far beyond the response of other federal agencies, and seems to be part of an effort to make people feel the effects of the shutdown. Thursday morning calls to USDA's press office seeking an explanation were not answered."

This website is down and yet the ObamaCare and White House websites are up.

21. St. Louis Gateway Arch Closed - The GOP have agreed to compromise legislation funding the parks. Obama has threatened a veto.

22. Park Shutdown Bounces Rowers from Potomac - "The ripple effect of a government shutdown has pushed rowers from the Potomac River.

"Multiple high schools rent space at the Thompson Boat Center in Georgetown. But like other places controlled by the National Park Service, it closed Tuesday morning."

The GOP have agreed to compromise funding opening the parks. Obama has threatened a veto.

23. Thompson Boat Center Closed In DC - The GOP have agreed to fund the parks. Obama said he will veto.

24. Obama Closes Military Commissary - "Military members, veterans and families who shop at local tax-free store are shocked to discover the store's doors locked; no progress to end stalemate in Washington."

While the government has deemed the White House chefs "essential," working class military personnel have lost their tax-free store privileges.

Military personnel and their families tell me that they have never lost these privileges in previous shutdowns.

25. Arizona Offers to Fund Grand Canyon, Obama Says 'Drop Dead' - "Obama has ordered the Grand Canyon to stay closed, even after the state of Arizona and local businesses have offered to cover the costs necessary to keep it open. In other words, the shutdown isn’t about the money — it’s about hurting the American people just because he can."

HOLLYWOOD
10-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Absolute Discrimination...

Violation of Constitutional Rights...

Another reason to impeach the Puppet Dictator

The Bavarian
10-06-2013, 08:39 PM
somebody needs to backhand him.

enhanced_deficit
10-07-2013, 12:07 AM
The List: Unnecessarily Shut Down by Obama to Inflict Public Pain

Drone strikes are necessarily not shutdown to 'inflict public pain' on a people of other regions/races etc. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?429606-Airstrikes-in-Afghanistan-to-continue-despite-gov-shutdown&)

better-dead-than-fed
10-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Treatments for Children Suffering From Cancer - The GOP have agreed to a compromise by funding part of the government, including the National Institutes of Health, which offers children with cancer last-chance experimental treatment. Obama has threatened to veto this funding.

Health care is not a natural right, and it is available from private suppliers. Socialized health care is what "inflicts pain" on children.

opal
10-07-2013, 12:35 AM
I'm wondering where anonymous is on all this and why a few extra govt websites are not down

belian78
10-07-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm wondering where anonymous is on all this and why a few extra govt websites are not down

Because, by and large, Anonymous is an arm of gov.

acptulsa
10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
We need to do a study to determine how much all these rangers manning roadblocks are costing us daily...

tod evans
10-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Pull the plug on welfare and SSI....................Chickens!

angelatc
10-07-2013, 11:08 AM
somebody needs to backhand him.

No, they need to laugh at him. We've all known guys like Obama, and they hate to be ridiculed. Getting publicly mocked will push him into full-retard, and will light this thing up good.

Brian4Liberty
10-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Impeach.

kahless
10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
12. Obama Closes Privately-Owned Hotel, Police Block Parking Lot - "The operator of a 51-room inn located on U.S. government-owned land in North Carolina abandoned his defiant stance on Thursday to keep the property open despite being ordered to close as part of the federal government shutdown."

October is this inn's prime season. The GOP have offered compromise funding opening the parks. Obama said he will veto that compromise.

State troopers blocked customers from entering the inn's parking lot.

The state has a Republican governor but state troopers are blocking customers from entering the parking lot. Why are the state troopers going out of their way here?

EDIT: Looks like this was probably misreported as "state troopers". Here is an excerpt from a Breibart article

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/04/Exclusive-Pisgah-Inn-NPS

When the Park Service rangers showed up to shut him down, O’Connell related that they told him they “hate to do it, but it’s their job.” They handed him a written copy of an order directly from National Parks Service Director Jonathan Jarvis. “Apparently,” said O’Connell, they contacted Washington when I refused to close, and they brought me the order and handed it to me personally just a few minutes ago.”

jllundqu
10-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Disgraceful.... I can't believe people have not challenged the NPS on all these fronts. If I were headed to Rushmore or some other park and was told I couldnpt stop to take a picture????? I would tell that ranger to try and stop me... I would throw his little cones into the woods and go about my business and vacation. I can't believe the WW2 vets didn't completely seige their memorial... Vietnam vets too! People should really UP the amount of 'civil disobedience' in this country! How can people be so asleep??? This is insanity.

kahless
10-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Disgraceful.... I can't believe people have not challenged the NPS on all these fronts. If I were headed to Rushmore or some other park and was told I couldnpt stop to take a picture????? I would tell that ranger to try and stop me... I would throw his little cones into the woods and go about my business and vacation. I can't believe the WW2 vets didn't completely seige their memorial... Vietnam vets too! People should really UP the amount of 'civil disobedience' in this country! How can people be so asleep??? This is insanity.

I suspect the majority of people that have the time to actually take action do not want to either risk their career due to imprisonment and/or have no money to fight the legal ramifications that go with that.

donnay
10-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Impeach.

I second the motion.

The Free Hornet
10-07-2013, 02:01 PM
I suspect the majority of people that have the time to actually take action do not want to either risk their career due to imprisonment and/or have no money to fight the legal ramifications that go with that.

More so, how many are traveling with children that will be abducted causing further criticism for 'not doing what I would have done were I in your exact same situation even though I really don't know what that situation is' (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?424972-Child-Protection-Services-nab-the-children-of-an-online-friend-of-mine&p=5186573&viewfull=1#post5186573).

better-dead-than-fed
10-07-2013, 11:57 PM

As the economy continues to weaken and more legitimate acts are "outlawed", it will become less economically feasible for the government to prosecute / imprison citizens for civil disobedience. If the government takes things far enough, a critical point will be reached where enough citizens will wake up and the government will lose all control.

acptulsa
10-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Impeach.

First we have to pass a federal law that makes it a high crime, or at least a misdemeanor, to completely unnecessarily deprive Americans of their birthright and heritage for political purposes.

Not the worst idea for a federal law I've heard lately.

satchelmcqueen
10-08-2013, 05:38 PM
so why cant impeachment be brought forth now???????i dont get it. what more does this ass have to do?

Zippyjuan
10-08-2013, 09:19 PM
It is facinating to watch people in favor of smaller government getting excited about things the government does getting shut down. And these are small cuts.

"How dare they shut these places down!"

Ender
10-08-2013, 09:28 PM
It is facinating to watch people in favor of smaller government getting excited about things the government does getting shut down. And these are small cuts.

Come on, Zippy- you know as well as I do that the "gov" does not really own any land and has no business shutting anything down, let alone taking state lands over.

better-dead-than-fed
10-09-2013, 04:17 AM
Come on, Zippy- you know as well as I do that the "gov" does not really own any land and has no business shutting anything down, let alone taking state lands over.

They need to shut down the fake shut-down.

opal
10-09-2013, 09:28 AM
not sure how but the commissary on Eglin AFB has reopened...day before yesterday..restocking frantically yesterday

tod evans
10-09-2013, 09:44 AM
not sure how but the commissary on Eglin AFB has reopened...day before yesterday..restocking frantically yesterday

Quick someone call the park rangers...

Todd
10-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Someone said it best earlier.....but apparently the Federal Golf course is still open at Andrews AFB

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/10/02/obamas-golf-cancelled/

dannno
10-09-2013, 10:05 AM
26. Channel Islands National Park

One of the companies that goes out to the islands on a daily basis for kayak tours is losing $2k/day

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/721/media/images/Channel_Islands_National_Park_59554.jpg

Lucille
10-09-2013, 10:41 AM
I bet you'll be shocked to hear that O Duce's not Barrycading Big Ski Resort and Big Campground. Just the little guys who can't afford a bevy of lobbyists and lawyers.

Forest Service Closing Only Small Private Campground Operators, Not Closing Large Ski Corporations or State Parks that Operate on Forest Service Land
http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2013/10/forest-service-closing-only-small-private-campground-operators-not-closing-large-ski-corporations-or-state-parks-that-operate-on-forest-service-land.html

As readers will know, the US Forest Service has issued and unprecedented and unnecessary order to close over a thousand privately-funded campgrounds that don't take one dime of Federal money (example here). All the 100+ parks we operate in the US Forest Service have been ordered closed.

But there appears to be more to this story. There are several groups that operate parks on National Forest lands under agreements nearly identical to ours who appear to have been exempted from the closure order.

Large corporations that run ski resorts and certain other large resort properties on National Forest lands have been exempted. It should be noted that ski resorts operators, unlike campground operators, have full-time lobbyists stationed in Washington and can afford in-house staff lawyers to fight these kinds of orders. My guess is that knowing they would immediately get sued if they ordered larger private firms to close, the USFS focused only on smaller and more helpless private firms.

Many state parks, including at least 3 in Arizona and many in California, are actually on US Forest Service land and operate through special use permits almost identical to those we have with the USFS, yet none of these parks have been asked to close (Slide Rock and Fool Hollow State Park in Arizona and Burney Falls SP in California are just a few examples of state parks that operate on US Forest Service land)....

The crass, petty, vindictive, creepy, anti-people Master of the Shutdown
http://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/ClaireWolfe/2013/10/08/the-crass-petty-vindictive-creepy-anti-people-master-of-the-shutdown/

The Master of the Shutdown, the head of the executive branch, the guy in charge of how it’s all being done (to us), Mr. Barry O himself, is one surprisingly small-minded, vindictive, nasty little S.O.B.

Among his orchestrations:

25 ridiculous things Obama shut down (http://neveryetmelted.com/2013/10/08/25-ridiculous-things-obama-shut-down/)

Powerful, punitive, and petty (http://thefederalist.com/2013/10/08/the-shutdown-government-powerful-punitive-and-petty/)

And no potty breaks, either (http://joelsgulch.com/huh-i-didnt-think-i-had-any-faith-left-to-lose-in-the-american-electorate/)
[...]
No doubt Obama hopes the Republicans will be blamed for these many expensive stupidities and petty outrages. Hey, lesser pettiness during the last shutdown worked for Bill Clinton. But bless the b*****d, it’s his name that’s going to be deservedly immortalized in the word “barrycade.” (I don’t know who coined that term; but if you find out, buy the genius a beer.) [Was it someone here at RPF? I read it here first. -L]

—–

I think a lot of people will understand this exactly. I just wonder how many will get something much bigger: If a spiteful president can shut down the Amber Alert system, cut off sports broadcasts to military bases, and shut people out of their homes on federal land today, how are things going to be next time when the same man — or some even more decadent emperor — has the power and the people-hating pettiness to cut off emergency medical care or barrycade major transportation routes?

madengr
10-09-2013, 10:48 AM
18. Residents Plan Protest of Cape Hatteras Closing - "Businesses and residents on the Outer Banks have planned a peaceful protest of the closure of Hatteras Island's beaches due to the government shut down.

How do you "close" 100 miles of shoreline?

acptulsa
10-09-2013, 05:01 PM

It always fascinates me to see the statist totalitarianism apologists act like it isn't natural for libertarians, having already had their money forcibly stolen and certain 'services' foisted upon them, to try to get people to see how much more unjust that is when the government fails to deliver said 'services'.

dannno
10-09-2013, 05:05 PM
How do you "close" 100 miles of shoreline?

I dunno, but there's some good surfing out there.