PDA

View Full Version : Shutdown: Mount Rushmore highway viewing areas blocked by Feds

Bryan
10-05-2013, 09:42 PM
http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DF&Date=20131005&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=310050021&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Mount-Rushmore-blockage-stirs-anger-South-Dakota
Cones are shown along the road to Mount Rushmore. The National Parks Service placed the cones there to prevent viewers from stopping on the side of the road to view the monument

Blocking access to trails and programs at South Dakota’s most popular attraction was one thing, but state officials didn’t expect Congress’ budget stalemate to shut down a view of Mount Rushmore.

The National Park Service placed cones along highway viewing areas outside Mount Rushmore this week, barring visitors from pulling over and taking pictures of the famed monument.

The cones first went up Oct. 1, said Dusty Johnson, Gov. Dennis Daugaard’s chief of staff. The state asked that they be taken down, and federal officials did so with some of them. The state was told the cones were a safety precaution to help channel cars into viewing areas rather than to bar their entrance.

“I think reasonable people can disagree about that,” Johnson said.

Full story: http://www.argusleader.com/article/20131005/NEWS/310050021/Mount-Rushmore-blockage-stirs-anger-South-Dakota

angelatc
10-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Maybe they'll start shutting down the highways next.

Carson
10-05-2013, 09:57 PM
I'll bet the American people find some unique way to push back.

I mean when someone throws down the glove like this it is just human nature.

Danke
10-05-2013, 10:00 PM
So maybe The National Park Service personnel will finally wonder, maybe we work for a pack of shit government after all...

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-05-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm no math wizard, but seems like it would cost more to pay people placing those cones than not paying anybody.

CaptUSA
10-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Saw this being shared on FB:
http://www.davidduke.com/images/Coal.jpg

I don't really endorse this kind of messaging, but thought it fit this thread.

Aratus
10-05-2013, 10:03 PM
worse... if folks run over the cones... REPLACING the cones could cost a pretty penny and then some!

kcchiefs6465
10-05-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm no math wizard, but seems like it would cost more to pay people placing those cones than not paying anybody.
But then people might visit, look, or take pictures of objects there.

The horror of such anarchy.

angelatc
10-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Looks like the GOP is going to cave. (Shocker! Not.) This is from a sidebar on the same article:
SHIFT IN DEMANDS: House Republicans de-emphasized their call on health care reform and ramped up a push for cuts in federal benefit programs and future deficits. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid also said the two issues are linked. “We not only have a shutdown, but we have the full faith and credit of our nation before us in a week or 10 days,” he said.

Barrex
10-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Roflmao.... This is beyond retarded.

Picture begs the question: Who is guarding those cones?

No one?
IMAGINE.... Imagine road.... Imagine road with infinite row of cones....Imagine road with infinite road of cones that no one is guarding... Imagine you. Imagine you driving down that road.....Those soft rubber, plastic, harmless cones.... Those mesmerizing cones calling you to drive...drive... drive over them.... IMAGINEEEEE

http://dirtsquadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/forever-alone-big-500x584.png

seapilot
10-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Next Obama will order a giant smokescreen covering Mt Rainier.

idiom
10-05-2013, 10:42 PM

Don't give them ideas.

On the other hand, shutting down the interstate would be something the Feds actually contribute to.

And all the minarchists would be all "SEE! GOVERNMENT CAN BE HELPFUL! ALL BOW BEFORE OBAMA"

puppetmaster
10-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Saw this being shared on FB:
http://www.davidduke.com/images/Coal.jpg

I don't really endorse this kind of messaging, but thought it fit this thread.

Tell them Chris Christie is available for the he 200 TON POS.

angelatc
10-05-2013, 10:51 PM

No one?
IMAGINE.... Imagine road.... Imagine road with infinite row of cones....Imagine road with infinite road of cones that no one is guarding... Imagine you. Imagine you driving down that road.....Those soft rubber, plastic, harmless cones.... Those mesmerizing cones calling you to drive...drive... drive over them.... IMAGINEEEEE

Drive over them? Chuck them over the edge of the mountain.

seapilot
10-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Interesting ending in the article.

Daugaard offered to keep Mount Rushmore open using state resources, Dusty Johnson noted. The National Park Service declined.

“I can’t even believe we’re having this conversation,” he said.

The states where these parks are located want to help fund them (Wisconsin, Arizona) Of course the Fed gov is showing its power by not letting them do so. Its a hopeful sign that states would continue to keep the parks open if it comes to that, probably running them as well or better than the National Parks.

puppetmaster

No one?

http://dirtsquadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/forever-alone-big-500x584.png

California is notorious for putting miles and miles of cones out with no construction....when was a a punk I rented a car and drove over a mile of those cones. The car was white except the front bumper was orange.....I told the guys at the rental shop I had to swerve to avoid a deer. I bought the rental insurance policy before hand.

HOLLYWOOD
Look's like target practice on the Orange Cones

PS: I cannot believe there is a Twitter account, the Orange Cone... :D

http://cmsimg.argusleader.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DF&Date=20131005&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=310050021&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Mount-Rushmore-blockage-stirs-anger-South-Dakota

NorfolkPCSolutions
10-05-2013, 10:58 PM
...removal of cones or destruction of such will condemn one as a domestic terrorist. How long until a government agent opens up on a father or mother of two young children on vacation who just wanted to show the kids the goddamn faces?

Then what?

angelatc
10-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Interesting ending in the article.

The states where these parks are located want to help fund them (Wisconsin, Arizona) Of course the Fed gov is showing its power by not letting them do so. Its a hopeful sign that states would continue to keep the parks open if it comes to that, probably running them as well or better than the National Parks.

I'd feel more sympathy for those governors if any of them had an ounce of small government spine. Asking permission in a state that YOU were elected to run? Meh.

mad cow
10-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Don't give them ideas.

On the other hand, shutting down the interstate would be something the Feds actually contribute to.

And all the minarchists would be all "SEE! GOVERNMENT CAN BE HELPFUL! ALL BOW BEFORE OBAMA"

Is this what passes for intelligent political debate in New Zealand?

GunnyFreedom
10-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Next Obama will order a giant smokescreen covering Mt Rainier.

then it'll be pay-per-view. We'll blow the smoke away for an hour for your group. And you will thank us because we are your government.

GunnyFreedom
10-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Is this what passes for intelligent political debate in New Zealand?

Actually, IIRC NZ some time ago went through some crisis where government all but failed. A very free-market/liberty government sprang up and did very well and peaceful, but now the State is exploding with a vengeance. A friend of mine Fergus Hodgson host of the Stateless Man is from New Zealand and has a lot of fascinating things to say about it.

RickyJ
10-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Obama is really lame. This is just retarded. I think the lady that accidentally turned the wrong way in D.C. and then got shot showed just how inept D.C. and White House security really is despite what they are being paid. The elite don't really care though, they can replace the puppet anytime, protecting him is not a priority to them.

mad cow
10-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Actually, IIRC NZ some time ago went through some crisis where government all but failed. A very free-market/liberty government sprang up and did very well and peaceful, but now the State is exploding with a vengeance. A friend of mine Fergus Hodgson host of the Stateless Man is from New Zealand and has a lot of fascinating things to say about it.

I believe that you,along with Ron And Rand Paul,Thomas Massie,Justin Amash and others can be described as Minarchists.
I realize that you can't answer for the others i've mentioned,but do you see "SEE! GOVERNMENT CAN BE HELPFUL! ALL BOW BEFORE OBAMA" as an accurate description of your beliefs and actions?

GunnyFreedom
10-06-2013, 12:07 AM
I believe that you,along with Ron And Rand Paul,Thomas Massie,Justin Amash and others can be described as Minarchists.
I realize that you can't answer for the others i've mentioned,but do you see "SEE! GOVERNMENT CAN BE HELPFUL! ALL BOW BEFORE OBAMA" as an accurate description of your beliefs and actions?

LOL not even remotely! All public servants should bow before the Constitution maybe. If you want to go with that syllogism.

FunkBuddha
10-06-2013, 06:11 AM
I was driving around up in the Cherokee National Forest yesterday and found a caravan of RVs pulled over to the side of the road and setup.

Theocrat
10-06-2013, 08:52 AM
If the National Park Service wants to be difficult about it, why doesn't it just cover Mt. Rushmore with a gigantic tarp so no one can see it at all? It's not like the federal government has never used TARP before...

Root
10-06-2013, 09:15 AM
If the National Park Service wants to be difficult about it, why doesn't it just cover Mt. Rushmore with a gigantic tarp so no one can see it at all? It's not like the federal government has never used TARP before...

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/q71/1380254_676100732408057_1915500987_n.jpg

otherone
10-06-2013, 09:33 AM
They are only proving that the federal government can be replaced by orange cones...

Henry Rogue
10-06-2013, 09:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7XQapdyIg3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHB478BeKqY&feature=player_detailpage

torchbearer
10-06-2013, 09:45 AM
They are only proving that the federal government can be replaced by orange cones...

as long as we get to elect what type of orange cones we want, i'm in.

economics102
10-06-2013, 11:04 AM

Let them. We'll finally get to build our own.

opal
10-06-2013, 11:09 AM
update: college dormitory decorating trend - new fall color - orange
cones holding up slabs of wood as tables
cones hanging from ceilings
upside down cones as tippy seats
and the mutha of all carburetors -

and in the - it ain't yours until you mod it

take the bottom off.. open the cone flat - lay several together alternating the wide end
duct tape the backs together
diy yoga mats!

Occam's Banana
10-06-2013, 11:09 AM
as long as we get to elect what type of orange cones we want, i'm in.

"My orange cone is better than your orange cone!!"

Carson
10-06-2013, 11:38 AM
...removal of cones or destruction of such will condemn one as a domestic terrorist. How long until a government agent opens up on a father or mother of two young children on vacation who just wanted to show the kids the goddamn faces?

Then what?

Or maybe they were just distracted by the children in the back seat and hit one...then a few more to avoid being executed.

fr33
10-06-2013, 12:04 PM
"My orange cone is better than your orange cone!!"

I'll have to settle for voting for the lesser evil orange cone.

fr33
10-06-2013, 12:07 PM
The black hills is pretty country but Mt Rushmore isn't really worth seeing. I'm embarrassed to say I visited there as an adult.

Go down the road to see Crazy Horse instead. Just kidding, building statues of men out of mountains is stupid IMO. Just drive on through then go visit the Badlands.

HOLLYWOOD
10-06-2013, 12:19 PM
"My orange cone is better than your orange cone!!"Know your Cones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVjqunFdr8U

seapilot
10-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Conehead...

http://wickedglee.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/l-317-307-ddb9fd54-afc9-4c09-b31d-4acefcda18db.jpeg

Anti Federalist
10-06-2013, 01:55 PM
I'll bet the American people find some unique way to push back.

I'll bet against that, and give you 100 to 1 odds.

Anti Federalist
10-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Obama is really lame. This is just retarded. I think the lady that accidentally turned the wrong way in D.C. and then got shot showed just how inept D.C. and White House security really is despite what they are being paid. The elite don't really care though, they can replace the puppet anytime, protecting him is not a priority to them.

What did they do that was inept?

Policy was followed, to the letter.

The hostile was neutralized with no injury to the Übermensch and no severe risk to officer safety.

Anti Federalist
10-06-2013, 02:02 PM
http://iowntheworld.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/barrycades.jpg

anaconda
10-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Hmmm.. no cuts to the first lady's staff yet...

anaconda
10-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Rand should start doing interviews with orange cones all around him...

Patrick Henry
10-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Those cones wouldn't stop me.