PDA

View Full Version : Swiss to vote on $2,800 monthly income for all adults

Keith and stuff
10-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Swiss to vote on $2,800 monthly income for all adults
http://news.msn.com/world/swiss-to-vote-on-dollar2800-monthly-income-for-all-adults?stay=1

It looks like the Swiss are going to vote on whether the entire economy of Switzerland should be destroyed or not. They already voted to limit executive pay and will also vote on greatly limiting executive pay so much that most executives have to go Galt and leave Switzerland. Heck even France might become a substantially better place for rich people to live. This just shows us that no where on Earth is safe from the growing statism in this world.

In a move to combat growing pay inequality, Swiss citizens will vote on whether to give every adult in Switzerland a basic income.

BERNE — Switzerland will hold a vote on whether to introduce a basic income for all adults, in a further sign of growing public activism over pay inequality since the financial crisis.

A grassroots committee is calling for all adults in Switzerland to receive an unconditional income of 2,500 Swiss francs — about $2,800 — per month from the state, with the aim of providing a financial safety net for the population.

Organizers submitted more than the 100,000 signatures needed to call a referendum on Friday and tipped a truckload of 8 million five-cent coins outside the parliament building in Bern, one for each person living in Switzerland.

Under Swiss law, citizens can organize popular initiatives that allow the channeling of public anger into direct political action. The country usually holds several referenda a year.

8 million five-cent coins, representing every person living in Switzerland, were dumped from a truck in Bern by the committee that pushed for a vote on giving all adults a basic income.
In March, Swiss voters backed some of the world's strictest controls on executive pay, forcing public companies to give shareholders a binding vote on compensation.

Related: Is US income gap wider than you think?

A separate proposal to limit monthly executive pay to no more than what the company's lowest-paid staff earn in a year, the so-called 1:12 initiative, faces a popular vote on Nov. 24.

The initiative's organizing committee said the basic income could partly be financed through money from social insurance systems in Switzerland.

The timing of the vote has yet to be announced, pending official guidance from the government.

Reporting by Denis Balibouse, writing by Alice Baghdjian

Smart3
10-05-2013, 10:39 AM
I hope they vote yes.

Let's see the results.

Brian4Liberty
10-05-2013, 10:39 AM
What the hell. Let's do that in the USSA too. And EBT cards for everyone!

Henry Rogue
10-05-2013, 10:48 AM
What the hell. Let's do that in the USSA too. And EBT cards for everyone!Why not go all out and give every single person their own official printing press and let them print their own money. That seems fair. ;)

tod evans
10-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Why not go all out and give every single person their own official printing press and let them print their own money. That seems fair. ;)

Free everything!

USA

USA

USA

Carlybee
10-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Okay but only if we can have free houses and free cars too.

Keith and stuff
10-05-2013, 11:10 AM

They already have that in the US. Free food, cell phones, books, movies, CDs, heat and healthcare too.

tod evans
10-05-2013, 11:11 AM

Mink stoles, leather pants and speedboats too!

Carlybee
10-05-2013, 11:14 AM
They already have that in the US. Free food, cell phones, books, movies, CDs, heat and healthcare too.

Yeah but I want a new Corvette. Can I have a new Corvette? :p

tod evans
10-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Obamavettes!

DGambler
10-05-2013, 11:36 AM
I just want a chicken, pot, cow and barn for free.

angelatc
10-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

oyarde
10-05-2013, 11:55 AM
3K a month ? WTH ? What do you spend all of that on ??

tod evans
10-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GFqhCq2HA

ClydeCoulter
10-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Where's the money coming from? Are their resources nationalized?

VIDEODROME
10-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Fuck it I'm moving to Switzerland.

ClydeCoulter
10-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Hmmm, I've never really looked at their economy...

Switzerland has a stable, prosperous and high-tech economy. In 2011, it was ranked as being the wealthiest country in the world in per capita terms (with 'wealth' being defined to include both financial and non-financial assets).[75][76] It has the world's nineteenth largest economy by nominal GDP and the thirty-sixth largest by purchasing power parity. It is the twentieth largest exporter, despite its size. Switzerland has the highest European rating in the Index of Economic Freedom 2010, while also providing large coverage through public services.[77] The nominal per capita GDP is higher than those of the larger Western and Central European economies and Japan.[78] If adjusted for purchasing power parity, Switzerland ranks 8th in the world in terms of GDP per capita, according to the World Bank and IMF (ranked 15th according to the CIA Worldfactbook[78]).

The World Economic Forum's Global Competitiveness Report currently ranks Switzerland's economy as the most competitive in the world,[79] while ranked by the European Union as Europe's most innovative country.[80] For much of the 20th century, Switzerland was the wealthiest country in Europe by a considerable margin (by GDP – per capita).[81] In 2007 the gross median household income in Switzerland was an estimated 137,094 USD at Purchasing power parity while the median income was 95,824 USD.[82] Switzerland also has one of the world's largest account balances as a percentage of GDP.

Henry Rogue
10-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Where's the money coming from? Are their resources nationalized? Good question.

10-05-2013, 01:31 PM
This will be follow by mass immigration to Switzerland

Keith and stuff
10-05-2013, 01:35 PM
This will be follow by mass immigration to Switzerland

Switzerland has the toughest immigration standards in Europe.

oyarde
10-05-2013, 02:02 PM
They do not let anyone in.

juleswin
10-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Switzerland has the toughest immigration standards in Europe.

Adding to having the toughest requirement for citizenship. So even if you move to Switzerland tomorrow, the chance that you will attain citizenship to receive the payout is very slim.

kpitcher
10-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Swedish dating sites will soon see an increase in non Swedish members. Time to watch some muppet show to learn some swedish chef speak.

Smart3
10-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Swedish dating sites will soon see an increase in non Swedish members. Time to watch some muppet show to learn some swedish chef speak.

Ok, it's one thing to confuse Swiss and Swedish once... but three times? Don't post if you're not interested.

Keith and stuff
10-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Ok, it's one thing to confuse Swiss and Swedish once... but three times? Don't post if you're not interested.

Those Europeans, they all look the same :toady:

gwax23
10-05-2013, 06:34 PM
I think its interesting considering Switzerland has very very strict immigration policies yet theyve turned from one of the freest countries in europe to quickly becoming one of the least free. This seems to discredit the whole theory that, "Immigrants come and vote for statism" idea, when the natives can be just as prone to statism as everyone else.

eduardo89
10-05-2013, 06:42 PM
3K a month ? WTH ? What do you spend all of that on ??

It doesn't go that far in Switzerland. They have an unbelievably high cost of living. For example, a Big Mac meal at McDonald's costs about $15. The minimum wage is $2,363 for unskilled workers and $3,010 for skilled workers.

ThePenguinLibertarian
10-05-2013, 06:52 PM
I hope they vote yes.

Let's see the results.
You've really into statism haven;t you?

kathy88
10-05-2013, 06:57 PM
You've really into statism haven;t you?Yes, he'd has.

Quark
10-05-2013, 07:03 PM
That's how much I live off of for four months... Who's going to work in Switzerland if they can just collect?

eduardo89
10-05-2013, 07:07 PM
That's how much I live off of for four months... Who's going to work in Switzerland if they can just collect?

You can't live well off that much in Switzerland, it is their minimum wage. The cost of living is extremely high.

Consumer Prices in United States are 48.38% lower than in Switzerland
Consumer Prices Including Rent in United States are 47.44% lower than in Switzerland
Rent Prices in United States are 45.14% lower than in Switzerland
Restaurant Prices in United States are 52.62% lower than in Switzerland
Groceries Prices in United States are 48.09% lower than in Switzerland
Local Purchasing Power in United States is 1.54% higher than in Switzerland
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Switzerland&country2=United+States

oyarde
10-05-2013, 07:11 PM
You can't live well off that much in Switzerland, it is their minimum wage. The cost of living is extremely high.

Consumer Prices Including Rent in United States are 47.44% lower than in Switzerland
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Switzerland&country2=United+States

This is what I suspected when I saw that number.Rent through the roof ....

Quark
10-05-2013, 07:15 PM

I suppose you're right, since that ($33,600/ year) is still only less than half the average income of Switzerland ($79,000.)

presence
10-05-2013, 07:19 PM
I actually support this concept (if we're going to redistribute wealth that is) I think "CITIZEN'S DIVIDENDS" are a more equitable means to redistribute wealth than welfare programs. Welfare encourages people to feign neediness and incompetence. Citizen's dividends have no such effect. Twenty eight hundred seems outlandish however.

Lets talk CITIZENS DIVIDENDS (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?367675-Lets-talk-CITIZENS-DIVIDENDS&highlight=citizens+dividends)

Started by presence (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?36577-presence), 03-17-2012

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?367675-Lets-talk-CITIZENS-DIVIDENDS&highlight=citizens+dividends

LibForestPaul
10-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Good question.

Where do you think all the no bid contract money goes?

ThePenguinLibertarian
10-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Just be glad that they have good laws that block the government from peering into bank accounts. As well as gun rights and least most statist healthcare system.

Quark
10-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Just be glad that they have good laws that block the government from peering into bank accounts. As well as gun rights and least most statist healthcare system.

I wouldn't call being required to join a militia and own guns, "gun rights", it's more of a demand if anything. Nothing says "you're my bitch, and I own you" more than requiring somebody to join a militia/military through compulsion. Not to mention the regulations on where they can keep their guns and ammunition. I guess it's a little more logical than banning guns and ammunition entirely, but it's certainly not more freedom.

Keith and stuff
10-06-2013, 09:09 AM

You Swiss agreed to do whatever the US wants when it comes to bank info, so they essentially have zero bank privacy just like people in the US, every other European country, Central America... :(

Jordan
10-06-2013, 12:25 PM
I actually support this concept (if we're going to redistribute wealth that is) I think "CITIZEN'S DIVIDENDS" are a more equitable means to redistribute wealth than welfare programs. Welfare encourages people to feign neediness and incompetence. Citizen's dividends have no such effect. Twenty eight hundred seems outlandish however.

Lets talk CITIZENS DIVIDENDS (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?367675-Lets-talk-CITIZENS-DIVIDENDS&highlight=citizens+dividends)

Started by presence (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/member.php?36577-presence), 03-17-2012

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?367675-Lets-talk-CITIZENS-DIVIDENDS&highlight=citizens+dividends

I'm slowly finding myself in agreement with this idea. Pretty compelling argument, IMO.

eduardo89
10-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm slowly finding myself in agreement with this idea. Pretty compelling argument, IMO.

Or how about no federal welfare at all?

ThePenguinLibertarian
10-06-2013, 07:20 PM
You Swiss agreed to do whatever the US wants when it comes to bank info, so they essentially have zero bank privacy just like people in the US, every other European country, Central America... :(
Huh, I know I know. Ever since the UBS scandal the whole world has gone into shit. I put my money in Pictet, and because im not america i'm safe.

PaulConventionWV
10-06-2013, 09:04 PM
I hope they vote yes.

Let's see the results.

Heck, I would vote yes just to see the results. I would willingly aid in destroying the entire economy because I am that curious as to what would happen in the aftermath. Where would they even get the money to pay every citizen that much money? Taxes? If so, what's the point of taxes? How ridiculous.

PaulConventionWV
10-06-2013, 09:13 PM

So is it the least or the most statist healthcare system?