PDA

View Full Version : Democrat friends jumping ship - finally

Suzu
10-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Most of the people I know who liked Obama are now talking about Rand Paul. A lot of them got turned by the Syria business and the rest have finally seen the light now with the Obamacare fiasco and gov't shutdown. They know how bad Hillary would be and have given up on the idea of seeing her as a successor to O. I could not be more pleased.

VoluntaryAmerican
10-04-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm glad some people are, it's hard to get through to some liberals.

qh4dotcom
10-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Wonderful....but please don't stop there....surely you must know others who voted for Obama.

newbitech
10-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Funny, I had a staunch "Team D" friend of mine getting all worked up over the Rand Paul Mitch McConnell hot mike where Rand Paul was talking about compromise and about not wanting to be there.

That was some kind of proof for her of something. I have yet to figure out what it proved. Apparently "Team D" is really really worried about Rand and are off in la la land when it comes to understanding WTF Rand is *actually* saying.

Icymudpuppy
10-04-2013, 09:39 PM
I have a neighbor who is also a friend on Facebook. I have been sending him bad stuff on Obama for years, and always he has justified it. Until Syria. Now he doesn't respond at all to my facebook posts.. He also doesn't wave at me when he drives by anymore. I'm hoping that even if he doesn't like me anymore, at least he knows I've been right all this time.

Neil Desmond
10-04-2013, 09:45 PM
I have a friend who sported an Obama bumper sticker; last time I got together with him & a couple other friends he seemed turned off to the idea that government could do good (and that's how he had put it) as a result of the Snowden - NSA spying situation.

Tod
10-04-2013, 10:20 PM
I have a neighbor who is also a friend on Facebook. I have been sending him bad stuff on Obama for years, and always he has justified it. Until Syria. Now he doesn't respond at all to my facebook posts.. He also doesn't wave at me when he drives by anymore. I'm hoping that even if he doesn't like me anymore, at least he knows I've been right all this time.

My guess is that he is realizing that he has been wrong all along and is embarrassed and maybe a bit angry.

Tod
10-04-2013, 10:22 PM
It is funny how many people believe that government is this warm and fuzzy benevolent group that is just trying to be helpful.

Carlybee
10-04-2013, 10:35 PM
It is funny how many people believe that government is this warm and fuzzy benevolent group that is just trying to be helpful.

I saw a comment today on an article about the shutdown from a lib saying something to the tune of "How dare these traitors cut off people's only lifeline". Just shows you how dependent people are becoming. Calling for the GOP to be annihilated so they can nationalize everything. Its hard to feel too sorry for the GOP though when Bush's warmongering practically handed the country to them on a silver platter.

Neil Desmond
10-04-2013, 10:40 PM
I just had a crazy wacky thought - what if the Ron Paul Revolution was actually the calm before the storm, the storm being a huge surge of soon-to-be former Democrats & Neocons switching to our side? That would be so tubular!

Suzu
10-04-2013, 10:52 PM
I just had a crazy wacky thought - what if the Ron Paul Revolution was actually the calm before the storm, the storm being a huge surge of soon-to-be former Democrats & Neocons switching to our side? That would be so tubular!
Not crazy or wacky. It's really happening! And I think it's only the beginning. I think Rand is going to win the presidency by a larger margin than Ronald Reagan ever did.

Neil Desmond
10-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Not crazy or wacky. It's really happening! And I think it's only the beginning. I think Rand is going to win the presidency by a larger margin than Ronald Reagan ever did.
Sweet! So far I think I like Rand a lot & I hope he does become our next President.

MichaelDavis
10-05-2013, 12:22 AM

Ron Paul only received 11% of the vote in last year's Republican primary. If Rand Paul wins, it won't be because of the Ron Paul supporters.

James Madison
10-05-2013, 01:45 AM

Never gonna happen. Get pissed at me if you want, but it will never happen. Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Vermont, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, California, Hawaii, etc. will never go Republican. States like Washington, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are also lost causes. You might be able to flip an Iowa or an Ohio, but that's about it. The GOP ran two self-described moderates in the last two elections and both got trounced. The Republican base is dying off, and young people aren't being brought in. You would need some catastrophic world event for what you have just described to be even remotely possible.

enhanced_deficit
10-05-2013, 02:12 AM
GOP is messing up Dems/libs/SWC with piecemeal strategy, it might have some effect:

Republicans press Obama to back FEMA funding bill as storm nears
Published October 04, 2013FoxNews.com

The budget showdown is about to collide with a major weather event.

The House voted Friday to fund the Federal Emergency Management Agency, as Republicans cast the bill as an emergency measure to help Americans threatened by the approaching tropical storm.
"This is about people's lives, people's businesses," Rep. Randy Weber, R-Texas, said.
The bill was one of several House Republicans have pushed in recent days to fund chunks of the government amid the partial government shutdown.

They've been pressuring Democrats, with little success, to support these mini-spending measures while the budget impasse drags on. Republicans upped that pressure on Friday, saying disaster response is critical as Tropical Storm Karen tracks toward the Gulf Coast and is poised to hit this weekend.

"When you've got a storm in the Gulf of Mexico, this is not a time for partisanship," Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., said after the vote, flanked by Gulf state lawmakers. Scalise called on President Obama to remove his veto threat and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to pass the bill in the Senate.
The House voted 247-164 to approve the FEMA spending bill.
The chamber voted later in the day to approve a bill to fund nutrition programs for women, infants and children.
It's part of a strategy by Republicans to pass a series of small bills, effectively daring Democrats to oppose them while simultaneously pressuring them to come to the negotiating table over the broader budget.
In anticipation of Tropical Storm Karen, FEMA has already starting bringing vital employees back to work to deal with the storm. But the administration has threatened to veto the mini-spending bills.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/04/white-house-congress-find-elusive-common-ground-on-paying-federal-workers/

AlexAmore
10-05-2013, 02:20 AM
GOP is messing up Dems/libs/SWC with piecemeal strategy, it might have some effect:

I wouldn't mind having this situation for awhile. Republicans are pro spending, but on small mini-bills and Democrats get to look like assholes for once.

enhanced_deficit
10-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Yes, it is clever GOP strategy. But GOP will need guts for it to work.
SWC Obama who had different "my way or highway" attitude just few days ago invited GOP leaders for "negotiations" a day after meeting with bankers in which they ordered advised him to reach out to protect Wall Street public interests. He is a blinker.

Suzu
10-05-2013, 03:37 AM
SWC Obama who had different "my way or highway" attitude
I keep seeing this "SWC" acronym on this forum the last few days and don't know what it means.

tod evans
10-05-2013, 03:41 AM
I keep seeing this "SWC" acronym on this forum the last few days and don't know what it means.

I'm curious too....

Suzu
10-05-2013, 03:41 AM
Never gonna happen. Get pissed at me if you want, but it will never happen. Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Vermont, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, California, Hawaii, etc. will never go Republican. States like Washington, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are also lost causes. You might be able to flip an Iowa or an Ohio, but that's about it.
You sound like you don't want it to happen.

Suzu
10-05-2013, 03:46 AM
I'm curious too....
Let's have a guessing game then, shall we? I'll start...
SouthWestern California (or Colorado)
Some Wooly Clown
Several White Children
Sam's Weird Cat
Slightly Wrinkled Cousin

Your turn....

tod evans
10-05-2013, 03:58 AM
No semi-witty ideas....:o

mad cow
10-05-2013, 03:59 AM
Let's have a guessing game then, shall we? I'll start...
SouthWestern California (or Colorado)
Some Wooly Clown
Several White Children
Sam's Weird Cat
Slightly Wrinkled Cousin

Your turn....

It took you five guesses but you finally nailed it.
+rep

tod evans
10-05-2013, 04:00 AM
Semi-White-Clown?

mad cow
10-05-2013, 04:04 AM
Slightly Wrinkled Cousin FTW.

Suzu
10-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Slightly Wrinkled Cousin FTW.
Damn you, I just snorted tea out my nose.

tod evans
10-05-2013, 04:18 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SWC

1. SWC
Gang in southwest Houston, Texas. The baddest, biggest & oldest gang in Houston. Has over 8000 members. The main 'hoods' are Glenmont and Westpark. Majority of members are hispanic.
SWC X3 RIFANDO Y CONTROLANDO.

Hey homes bust that Lollypop in his mera cresta
swc x3 swc south west cholos gang cholos south west southwest south cholos west cholos west park
by SWC;Jose Aug 19, 2006 add a video
181 up, 120 down

2. swc
small white cock, opposite of bbc
did you see john's swc? it was only 4 inches!
tiny cock small white dick
by latisha simmons Apr 7, 2008 add a video

3. S.W.C.
shoulda, woulda, coulda
man i've made a lot of mistakes when i was with her, S.W.C.
shoulda woulda coulda should have been could have been
by yumcoh Feb 16, 2009 add a video

4. SWC
Abbreviation for Silly willy chilly. Term to describe somebody who places their hand inside of underwear and holds their penis to warm it up. Mostly done by Chavs.
Guy 1: 'Hey! What are you doing'
Guy 2: 'Me?! Oh just SWCing...'
Guy 1: '...Warm yet?'

Chav Penis Paul Connor Muff bench Teabag
penis warmer silly willy chilly

5. SWC
Stupid Wannabe Criminals
The funeral home where my Mother's funeral was held was hit with graffitti the night before her funeral. On the day of her funeral my family and I had to see this foolishness. I will always remember this attack and how much sadder it made the saddest day of my life. The ironic part of it is it said Fuck the White and we are Mexicans. So their stupid act hurt their own people. The funeral home has a sign asking people to be respectful of the dead and their families please no graffitti. The wonderful SWC spray painted their graffitti around the sign. I hope they are feeling proud today as my family grieves the lost of our beloved Mother.
wasted talent leadership futures lives
by mariadejesus Jun 3, 2009 add a video

6. swc
salty water corner, a typical chinese dimsum.
can also be referred to as "psswc", or peaceful shrimp salty water corner.
"when i go yumcha, i like to order swc"
salty water corner swc psswc
by ming do Jan 6, 2008 add a video

7. SWC
Spirit West Coast-a christian music gathering
I went to SWC last year.

Suzu
10-05-2013, 04:26 AM
I'd have to go with #5 from your list, tod evans!

MRK
10-05-2013, 06:21 AM
I saw a comment today on an article about the shutdown from a lib saying something to the tune of "How dare these traitors cut off people's only lifeline". Just shows you how dependent people are becoming. Calling for the GOP to be annihilated so they can nationalize everything. Its hard to feel too sorry for the GOP though when Bush's warmongering practically handed the country to them on a silver platter.

When I was 18, 19 and 20 I had relatively comfy summer government jobs in various departments where I was paid $12 an hour. If I had worked there full time it would have been closer to $20 plus cadillac health benefits and I was guaranteed a job. Not bad for fresh out of college - especially considering this was post crash.

Instead I went into the private sector making half as much. I knew it was the right move because there is job security in actually producing something.

So I have no sympathy for these people. If a young kid could figure out that there was something wrong with the situation then there is no excuse for a well aged adult not to at least put back a bunch of savings for when the gravy train tax stream comes to an end.

10-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Never gonna happen. Get pissed at me if you want, but it will never happen. Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Vermont, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, California, Hawaii, etc. will never go Republican. States like Washington, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are also lost causes. You might be able to flip an Iowa or an Ohio, but that's about it. The GOP ran two self-described moderates in the last two elections and both got trounced. The Republican base is dying off, and young people aren't being brought in. You would need some catastrophic world event for what you have just described to be even remotely possible.

I disagree. NJ and PA could go R easy enough. Only the cities are D. Both have R governors. If the D's run a candidate that doesn't excite inner city voters and the R's run one that excites rural and suburban voters, the states could go R.

CaptUSA
10-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Want to hear a great analogy?

I've been building a pretty massive rock wall in my back yard made of mostly flagstone. Now, this flagstone is about 2-4 inches thick and I wanted to split these slabs on very specific lines. In order to do so, you have to use the edge of a hammer and hammer along the line where you want the rock to break. This takes time. Firm hits over and over again along this line. If you hit too close to the edge, you risk breaking the rock. If you hammer too hard, you risk breaking it. If you don't hit hard enough, nothing will ever happen. But if you do it right, each hit will create microscopic fissures in the rock. Eventually, you be able to hear the difference in sound so you can tell it's beginning to work. It's not easy. Most of the time, you feel like you are just hammering away at a rock that will never break. But once you have enough well-placed hits, the entire slab will spilt exactly along the line you wanted. Sure, your muscles are tired, but the end product is beautiful.

James Madison
10-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Why would I not want it to happen? If you have a rebuttal then let's hear it, but emotional demagoguing ain't gonna cut it.

Suzu
10-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Why would I not want it to happen?
How would I know that unless you tell me. Based on what you wrote, I can't see why all of those states would fail to go to the best candidate regardless of party (assuming he got the nomination - which I believe he will).

If you have a rebuttal then let's hear it, but emotional demagoguing ain't gonna cut it.
I wasn't being emotional nor a demagogue, just sharing my reaction to your post.

specsaregood
10-05-2013, 04:35 PM

I've been building a pretty massive rock wall in my back yard made of mostly flagstone. Now, this flagstone is about 2-4 inches thick and I wanted to split these slabs on very specific lines. In order to do so, you have to use the edge of a hammer and hammer along the line where you want the rock to break. This takes time. Firm hits over and over again along this line. If you hit too close to the edge, you risk breaking the rock. If you hammer too hard, you risk breaking it. If you don't hit hard enough, nothing will ever happen. But if you do it right, each hit will create microscopic fissures in the rock. Eventually, you be able to hear the difference in sound so you can tell it's beginning to work. It's not easy. Most of the time, you feel like you are just hammering away at a rock that will never break. But once you have enough well-placed hits, the entire slab will spilt exactly along the line you wanted. Sure, your muscles are tired, but the end product is beautiful.

Let's see a pic.

Tywysog Cymru
10-05-2013, 05:14 PM
We need to get the potheads out to vote, they could be crucial for our success.

mosquitobite
10-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Reagan won in a landslide. I wonder what has changed SO MUCH that we believe that is no longer possible??

CaptUSA
10-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Let's see a pic.It's about 90% done... The wall is about 25 feet long 3 1/2 feet high with field stone gather from behind my house. The wall is capped with said flagstone and it has a built-in fire pit. I also laid a flagstone patio that covers roughly 300 sq ft.

Unfortunately, you'll have to imagine it as I don't host pictures anywhere on the net.

I gotta say, though... As you're laboring with that kind of rock a lot of thoughts like these enter your mind. When I split a rather thick rock, I think about the person that correlates. Once you get over 3" thick, the rocks are difficult to split along the line. Those thick-headed bastards really piss you off, but if you can break one properly, you get a nice feeling of satisfaction! ;)

jdcole
10-05-2013, 07:54 PM

"Chipping away" also works.

Sounds like a badass wall, though.

Bastiat's The Law
10-05-2013, 10:53 PM
I disagree. NJ and PA could go R easy enough. Only the cities are D. Both have R governors. If the D's run a candidate that doesn't excite inner city voters and the R's run one that excites rural and suburban voters, the states could go R.

I think Maine goes for Rand before NJ. PA is winnable.

Bastiat's The Law
10-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Reagan won in a landslide. I wonder what has changed SO MUCH that we believe that is no longer possible??

I've been saying Rand will have a Reagan-esque victory for a long time.

Peace&Freedom
10-06-2013, 12:05 AM
The key to a landslide win for a national liberty candidate is to break down the 'Jericho walls' of Republican and Democratic voting blocs fashioned by the establishment to divide the public and keep statists in power. A major key to the '80's landslides was putting a tough but largely non-interventionist foreign policy together with a social stance that attracted social right Democrats. The proven formula to landslide is a moderate (realist and defacto non-interventionist) foreign policy combined with a populist conservative (Main St oriented, religion friendly) domestic policy. Note how, on this basis, Reagan got slices of the labor vote, and from socially conservative Democrats, along with 2 out of 3 young voters 30 years ago.

Then the neo-con establishment went to work making sure the Republican party was mainly associated with foreign intervention and breaks for big business, and no policy changes on the social front (but plenty of inflammatory rhetoric to keep the Christian right happy). Meanwhile the left establishment made sure 'rock the vote' voter registration efforts were aimed at driving the youth vote in the Democratic camp, and relentlessly used the media to associate 'true Democrats' as being socially liberal. Result: the elite molds the electorate it most wants---Republicans as older and distracted by the alleged threat posed by "the terrorists," Democrats as younger and distracted by the threat posed by "the religious right."

Neither end of the establishment table wants the walls broken down, as Reagan partially accomplished, as that would eventually lead to this landslide voting bloc not continuing to accept the divisive, artificial 50-50 split of the electorate needed to distract both sides from the agenda of the institutional controllers of both parties. If Republicans leaders actually overturned Roe v Wade and returned the matter to the states, for example, that would remove it as a national wedge issue, and that wouldn't do, as then too many Democrats might cross over and vote for a pro-constitution candidate.

Neither the Tea Party or Occupy (largely bi-partisan independent movements at their start) could be allowed to continue without being co-opted or destroyed, for the same reasons. The GOP has deliberately run three milquetoast moderates (Dole, '96, McCain '08, Romney '12) rather than risk running a principled (but non-abrasive) social conservative who might actually energize its base, and attract social right Democrats. The NWO masters who control both parties want to go with the pro-war, pro-Fed, and depress the cultural right formula, as that allows the status quo statism to go forward. The rank and file within the parties thus stay rigidly divided and distracted, while the war and debt machine rolls on.

Rand needs to be the bridge back to building a super landslide bloc by being forthright in opposing the interventionists (thus pushing back the military complex), staying independent of the banksters (the real faction above the parties who insist on endless borrowing, deficit spending, and taxing of Main St), and effective on the social issues (implement policies that remove abortion and gays as a national issue, or end the codification of social liberalism into federal law). This should bring back enough Democratic social conservatives (by not turning them off with a hawkish foreign policy), while energizing the religious conservatives within the GOP such that he obtains a landslide victory.

MrGoose
10-06-2013, 04:43 AM

I think you're being a little too negative. I know for a fact Washington is not a lost cause. It ca go red if we have a decent candidate. Everyone knows McCain was a crap candidate and so was Mitt. Aside from a few the vast majority of Republicans are douches and everyone who can be swung knows it. We just need decent people in the elections.

philipped
10-06-2013, 09:48 AM
So are the Dems realizing that Clinton isn't a good idea yet or are they on the fence about her as of now?

Carlybee
10-06-2013, 09:50 AM
I haven't seen any jump ship. If anything they are more hateful and full of vitriol than ever.

Bastiat's The Law
10-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Let's see a pic.
Of your muscles.

Bastiat's The Law
10-06-2013, 11:30 AM
I haven't seen any jump ship. If anything they are more hateful and full of vitriol than ever.

The extreme partisans, yes. A few others are breaking out of zombie mode, it's been painfully slow though.

fr33
10-06-2013, 12:14 PM

I think you're being a little too negative. I know for a fact Washington is not a lost cause. It ca go red if we have a decent candidate. Everyone knows McCain was a crap candidate and so was Mitt. Aside from a few the vast majority of Republicans are douches and everyone who can be swung knows it. We just need decent people in the elections.

Sometimes the over-positive true-believers need a dose of reality. Often it comes across as "too negative". Perhaps it counterbalances those, who during the last election, thought Ron would win the nomination in a landslide, then switched to saying the delegates would win at the RNC, then were saying if he ran 3rd party he'd win.

Here on RPF and DP the positivity can become delusion sometimes.

outspoken
10-06-2013, 12:36 PM
I'd love to see Rand win but with 17 trillion in debt, I am sadly wishing the Depression hits before he is elected so liberals can't blame the sh*tstorm that has been brewing for years on the liberty movement.

James Madison
10-18-2013, 11:36 PM

The Dems run an unlikeable, divisive candidate in a non-Presidential election at a special time and still enjoy a comfortable victory. Still think NJ will break for a Republican?