PDA

View Full Version : Surprise? Police Search Home of Capitol Shooting Victim...Guess what they found?

coastie
10-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Just medications for schizophrenia and other mental disorders....

Nothing to see there, I'm sure.:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWx4EEL5sec

HOLLYWOOD
10-04-2013, 04:15 PM
psychotropic excuse for failing to contain a dental assistant in her car surrounded...
failing to communicate between walkie talkies and mother terror ship of what was accurately or truly transpiring...
failing to shoot out the tires on the vehicle when they had multiple opportunities...
failing to keep a suspect alive when they had her pinned...

Don't worry folks, we'll get the same Eduard Snowden media/government statements of bullshit aka PROPAGANDA for the country to swallow.

aGameOfThrones
10-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah they could have shot at the tires. Yeah they could have used spike strips. Yeah they could have used the spin maneuver. They could have use anyone of those options and maybe a few more, but how would they get to kill?

coastie
10-04-2013, 05:15 PM
bump/add video I forgot to add earlier.

Elias Graves
10-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Aw, she was just another peasant. No big loss, right?
at least the cops got in some good target practice!

thoughtomator
10-04-2013, 06:09 PM
I don't see any actual evidence. Many claims are being made by the media about this woman that have no source and no apparent basis in fact.

angelatc
10-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Wait - now we are doubting that schizophrenia is a real disease?

Antischism
10-04-2013, 06:32 PM
She had mental health issues, so she was on medication it seems to try to remedy that. Was she off of her medication for a long time now? Was she still taking them? Did she suddenly go off of them before this happened? About 1 in 10 Americans are on antidepressants, so considering that astounding number, the amount of incidents like these are pretty small. However, with so many people on them, how do we know it's a cause and not simply correlation? It's known that these medications can cause bad side-effects including a hightened risk for suicide and violence. In fact, this study (http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0015337) lists the specific prescription drugs it found caused the highest increase in violence among users.

Now, it's clear that there's a problem. One of these problems is that there isn't enough extensive research in the medical field with these drugs. Of course, when you put foreign substances in your body meant to alter your mood or influence the chemicals in your brain, things have a chance of going... well, badly. What compounds the issue then is overprescription and doses which are too easily increased. If not that, it could become an issue of the person being irresponsible with these drugs. Are they mixing them with other substances? Abusing them? Going off of them cold-turkey, as they say?

It's certainly an interesting topic to discuss and read about, though I do get tired of the Alex Jones-type MASS MURDER SUICIDE PILLS hysteria. Sure, it's an issue that needs to be heavily looked into and focused on instead of blaming video games and guns all the time, but many people do benefit from the use of prescription medication, and mental health issues are very real. When your mental health is in a crippling state and prescription medications can at least get you back on your feet, I think it's an incredibly positive thing. People should think of it more as an aid, not a cure. Usually therapy is very much recommended to go along with the medication.

Brian4Liberty
10-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Yeah they could have shot at the tires. Yeah they could have used spike strips. Yeah they could have used the spin maneuver. They could have use anyone of those options and maybe a few more, but how would they get to kill?

Last detailed report of the incident that I saw said that she had crashed and disabled the car already. The Police just walked up and shot her in the car.

bunklocoempire
10-04-2013, 07:06 PM
VIDEO at :25

So the City of Stanford is not under surveillance? :confused:

angelatc
10-04-2013, 07:07 PM
She had mental health issues, so she was on medication it seems to try to remedy that. Was she off of her medication for a long time now? Was she still taking them? Did she suddenly go off of them before this happened?

. People should think of it more as an aid, not a cure. Usually therapy is very much recommended to go along with the medication.

That's not true at all for schizophrenia, which is my point. They are never cured, and they can't be "cured."

better-dead-than-fed
10-04-2013, 09:52 PM
we are doubting that schizophrenia is a real disease?

I don't see anyone doubting that, but I definitely doubt that the presence of medication or a diagnosis implies the presence of schizophrenia. Cf.

"Martha Mitchell effect" was coined to describe mental health misdiagnoses when accurate claims are dismissed as delusional.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_abuse_of_psychiatry

They are never cured, and they can't be "cured."

Especially the ones who don't have schizophrenia in the first place, despite having been misdiagnosed.

newbitech
10-04-2013, 09:59 PM
people with schizophrenia don't work in a dental office and drive a lexus.

better-dead-than-fed
10-04-2013, 10:01 PM
So the City of Stanford is not under surveillance? :confused:

The American Psychiatric Association recently voted to enlarge the set of beliefs which are "delusions". Formerly, "delusions" were only those beliefs which are "false" and "firmly sustained" despite "incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary". (DSM-IV-TR, p. 821.) With the adoption of DSM-V, "delusions" now are all beliefs "not amenable to change in light of conflicting evidence". So some true beliefs are now delusions too.

Zippyjuan
10-04-2013, 10:02 PM

You know all of them? Most look just like everybody else and have normal jobs unless they have gotten too bad.

newbitech
10-04-2013, 10:05 PM
You know all of them? Most look just like everybody else and have normal jobs unless they have gotten too bad.

yes, I know all of them. and they don't have personal hygiene either, or custody of children.

J_White
10-04-2013, 10:06 PM
if they had disabled her car and she was not armed, why did they have to shoot her ?

Occam's Banana
10-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Wait - now we are doubting that schizophrenia is a real disease?

Has an actual physiological pathology been objectively identified for it? If so, then it is a "real" disease. If not, not (yet).

ClydeCoulter
10-04-2013, 10:20 PM
if they had disabled her car and she was not armed, why did they have to shoot her ?

That's the question :(

newbitech
10-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Has an actual physiological pathology been objectively identified for it? If so, then it is a "real" disease. If not, not (yet).

it's real, don't let collective lack of understanding blind you to the truth. There is "real" and there is real.

Occam's Banana
10-04-2013, 10:26 PM
it's real, don't let collective lack of understanding blind you to the truth. There is "real" and there is real.

:confused: That does absolutely nothing to answer my question. Is there an objectively discernible physiological pathology for schizophrenia or not?

better-dead-than-fed
10-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Even the realness of physiological diseases is a complex question, as the definition of "pathology" is constructed arbitrarily.

The concept of a mental disorder, like many other concepts in medicine and science, lacks a consistent operational definition that covers all situations. All medical conditions are define on various levels of abstraction -- for example, structural pathology, symptoms presentation, deviance from a physiological norm, and etiology. Mental disorders have also been defined by a variety of concepts (e.g., distress, dysfunction, dyscontrol, disadvantage, disability, inflexibility, irrationality, syndromal pattern, etiology, and statistical deviation).

Like mental "disease", physiological "diseases" are defined by votes.

newbitech
10-04-2013, 10:40 PM
:confused: That does absolutely nothing to answer my question. Is there an objectively discernible physiological pathology for schizophrenia or not?

I thought your question was rhetorical. No there is no known cause. There is strong evidence that the disease is genetic. Schizophrenia is diagnosed by it's hallmark symptoms. The disease presents itself in one of several facets or types.

There is some evidence that the disease has stages that might possibly progress but very rarely regress.

Treatment is often of the guinea pig style, purely attacking the symptoms. Further treatment includes periodically switching medications to find the best possible combination to treat symptom and side effects.

There is no cure and research is a long way from finding a cause. Perhaps the best advancements for treatment have been made in finding medications that have less side effects. Medication must go hand in hand with therapy, a strong support network, and positive feedback from the patient in order to be effective.

Schizophrenia is the most misdiagnosed and mistreated disorder that I have ever read about or witnessed. There has grown up an entire branch of medicine that has evolved off of Schizophrenia.

Bi-Polar
Manic Depressive
PTSD
Clinical Depression
Chronic Psychedelic Drug Use

to name a few have all be called schizophrenia and treated as such.

newbitech
10-04-2013, 11:03 PM
also, for those interested, here is really good pdf

its a 2012 report of nearly 200 drugs that are being researched in the "mental illness" pipeline.

http://www.phrma.org/sites/default/files/pdf/phrmamedsindevmentalillness2012.pdf

enhanced_deficit
10-04-2013, 11:27 PM
"My sister did not deserve to have her life shortened at this early stage,” said Valerie Carey, a former sergeant with the New York Police Department.

"There was no indication that she was unstable,” Amy Carey said, adding that she had spoken to Miriam, 34, on the phone Monday.

The chase ended minutes later at the northeast corner of the Capitol grounds, near the U.S. Supreme Court building, when a barrier stopped the Infiniti near Second Street Northeast. The officials said she became stuck on a median by a Capitol Police guard post, where she was shot dead.
“It is a shame that my mother, my sister and I had to find out from reporters who called us,” she said. "Shame on the Metropolitan D.C.-area personnel for still not informing us of what has happened to my sister.”

Mental illness paint brushes can go in all directions. Now it is looking likely that family of victim may file lawsuit and their lawyers might request more "seearches" to find out mental state/medical history of all the parties involved in this incidence.

PTSD and police: Hiring and retaining war veterans in our ranks (http://www.policeone.com/health-fitness/articles/6222919-PTSD-and-police-Hiring-and-retaining-war-veterans-in-our-ranks/)
www.policeone.com (http://www.policeone.com) › Topics (http://www.policeone.com/law-enforcement-topics/) › Health - Physical and Mental Fitness (http://www.policeone.com/health-fitness/)‎
May 9, 2013
The Police PTSD Paradox | Cops Alive | Police Stress and Health ... (http://www.copsalive.com/the-police-ptsd-paradox/)
www.cops (http://www.%3Cstrong%3Ecops%3C/strong%3E)alive.com/the-police-ptsd-paradox/‎
The Police PTSD Paradox is created when stress disables or incapacitates one of ... The last thing an agency wants to do is bring in a mental health counselor ...
Toughing it Out: Posttraumatic Stress in Police Officers | Psychology ... (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/talking-about-trauma/201302/toughing-it-out-posttraumatic-stress-in-police-officers)
www.psychologytoday.com/.../toughing-it-out- (http://www.psychologytoday.com/.../toughing-it-out-)posttraumatic-stress-in-po...‎
Feb 9, 2013 - Without consistent psychological checkups and greater attention to police officer mental health care, PTSD and other mental health problems ...
Report: DEA agent made prostitute arrangement for Secret Service ... (http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/us/agents-prostitution/index.html)
www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/us/agents-prostitution/index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/us/agents-prostitution/index.html)
Jan 11, 2013 - DEA agent arranged for a prostitute to have an encounter with a U.S. Secret Service Agent in Colombia, Justice Department official finds.

phill4paul
10-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Aherm... I'd just like to point out that at the time they shot her there were barriers raised at both ends of the street preventing her from going anywhere. Her car, according to witnesses, was "lodged" in the median. Unable to move.

MichaelDavis
10-05-2013, 12:29 AM

You win stupid comment of the day. When schizophrenics take their medication, they can hold down jobs and buy a car. If you go off your medication, like this woman appears to have done, you might start to believe the President is stalking you.

phill4paul
10-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Last detailed report of the incident that I saw said that she had crashed and disabled the car already. The Police just walked up and shot her in the car.

She was immobilized fore and aft by barriers. Her car was hung up in the median. She posed no risk to civilians, cops or political whores. They just walked up and shot her.

better-dead-than-fed
10-05-2013, 12:45 AM
If you go off your medication, like this woman appears to have done, you might start to believe the President is stalking you.

Are you referring to this:

there's reports that Carey believed that President Obama was putting the city of Stamford under surveillance and her home under surveillance

You would have to be on strong medication or otherwise impaired to deny that Carey was correct.

Some authorities define schizophrenia in terms of certain beliefs, which beliefs are in fact true and would only be denied by a lunatic or government employee:

Clinical features of Schizophrenia:

Delusions of persecution are particularly common. There is a conspiracy against the patient; the FBI has coordinated its efforts with the local police. ... At times the surveillance is covert. Satellites are used. ... the telephone is tapped.

http://www.brown.edu/Courses/BI_278/Other/Clerkship/Didactics/Readings/Schizophrenia.pdf

Perhaps Carey showed Snowden's NSA documents to someone, and that act alone resulted in her being diagnosed with schizophrenia?

MichaelDavis
10-05-2013, 01:11 AM
Are you referring to this:

You would have to be on strong medication or otherwise impaired to deny that Carey was correct.

Some authorities define schizophrenia in terms of certain beliefs, which beliefs are in fact true and would only be denied by a lunatic or government employee:

Perhaps Carey showed Snowden's NSA documents to someone, and that act alone resulted in her being diagnosed with schizophrenia?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/dc-chase-motive_n_4043871.html

better-dead-than-fed
10-05-2013, 02:45 AM
If you go off your medication, like this woman appears to have done, you might start to believe the President is stalking you.

"Law enforcement sources" told NBC News that... Carey....http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/dc-chase-motive_n_4043871.html

So Huffington Post claimed that NBC News claimed that "law enforcement sources" claimed something. Let's see what NBC News actually said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/04/20816675-woman-in-dc-chase-may-have-thought-obama-was-stalking-her-sources-say?lite

The woman... may have thought that President Barack Obama was stalking her, law enforcement sources told NBC News.

So NBC News claimed that anonymous "law enforcement sources" told them that Carey "may" have believed something; but the "law enforcement sources" are just anonymous people speculating for no legitimate reason, apparently with no factual basis. The only thing clear is that these "law enforcement sources" want to spread certain rumors about Carey. Since they're breaking the law by talking to reporters, but the DOJ isn't prosecuting them for that, the leaked information is presumably false. In fact, the people with firsthand knowledge of Carey report nothing of the sort about her.

"Law enforcement sources" speculated incorrectly about my own beliefs, and made false claims about my own statements; and they never were deterred from doing the same to others -- they were only been rewarded. I'm used to "law enforcement sources" talking out their butts.

tod evans
10-05-2013, 02:53 AM
What in the Sam Hell does medication or psych issues have to do with cops shooting an unarmed civilian in cold blood?

Sounds like nothing more than excuses for the inexcusable to me.

newbitech
10-05-2013, 02:53 AM
You win stupid comment of the day. When schizophrenics take their medication, they can hold down jobs and buy a car. If you go off your medication, like this woman appears to have done, you might start to believe the President is stalking you.

don't be a jack ass, schizophrenics by definition are not functional in society. Taking medication does not "cure" someone of schizophrenia which again is defined by symptoms which include among others, inability to maintain hygiene, manage their financial affairs, and integrate socially.

Perhaps you know of someone who suffers some other cognitive disorder or a disorder that schizophrenic symptoms mimic. It is undoubtedly true that many folks with symptom similar to schizophrenia have responded well to medications but the sad fact is, even the best medications do not prevent the worst symptoms of schizophrenia from haunting those folks daily to the point of being completely dysfunctional. This includes the side effects of the best anti-psychotics available, which include uncontrollable jitters (kind of hard to be a dental assistant with shaky hands), uncontrollable weight loss or weight gain, and loss of motor coordination.

I have read the stories of folks claiming to be EMT's after "recovering" from schizophrenia, or raising children, or doing many other functional activities that folks without the disease can perform. Even though these stories are few and far between, I believe those folks were misdiagnosed. There is no test for schizophrenia and there is no common prescribed course for treating the symptoms. Even when a very good medication regimen is discovered for that patient that provide partial relief with manageable side effects, that regimen is often replaced once the effect begins "wear off". Like most drugs that work on chemicals in the brain, a tolerance is built up and taking higher dosages only increases the side effects.

As with most mental illness, there does become a point of stability at periods over time, however that stability is fragile at best and is often fleeting. Can people eventually cope with schizophrenia and be a productive member of society? I think so, but to the point where they become parents and EMT's and dental assistance driving around 30k cars? No.

Perhaps you know someone who suffers similar symptoms. I know many. I don't think your attitude towards my comment shows the slightest bit of understanding towards what those folks with schizophrenia go thru. You definitely sound like someone who believes solving the problems of this disorder are as simple as popping a pill, like it's a common headache. I think you need to do some better research into the illness before you think to call me stupid again.

newbitech
10-05-2013, 02:54 AM
//

newbitech
10-05-2013, 02:55 AM
//

better-dead-than-fed
10-05-2013, 03:24 AM
What in the Sam Hell does medication or psych issues have to do with cops shooting an unarmed civilian in cold blood?

Sounds like nothing more than excuses for the inexcusable to me.

On the bright side, if you ever kill someone and it's not exactly a "good shoot", you might walk if you spread enough false rumors about your victim's "mental health".

tod evans
10-05-2013, 03:37 AM
On the bright side, if you ever kill someone and it's not exactly a "good shoot", you might walk if you spread enough false rumors about your victim's "mental health".

Unfortunately I would never be afforded the same latitude....

mrsat_98
10-05-2013, 06:25 AM
Well duh, whats makes you think you can have a gun in the first place ? Mr. Mundane.