PDA

View Full Version : Iowa GOP Warns Residents About Traffic Safety Checkpoints

twomp
10-04-2013, 02:44 PM
The Iowa Republican Party, led by a former member of the Ron Paul campaign team in the state, is warning “constitutional activists” in the Des Moines area about “traffic safety checkpoints” scheduled there for tonight. The party posted on its website:

Central Iowa police are planning “traffic safety checkpoints” in Polk county on Friday night. The Iowa GOP strongly urges you NOT to give in to any illegal searches of your car. Only comply by providing your license, registration and insurance if requested.

The Iowa GOP also reminds you that recording police officers, both with audio and video is completely LEGAL and has been upheld numerous times by numerous courts. Be sure to have an objective “witness” by recording your conversations with police.

The post also asks anyone who's taken video or audio of their encounter with police to send it to the party. The Des Moines Register notes Terry Branstad, the state’s Republican governor, has had multiple speeding incidents, including one that ended in the law enforcement official who called in his speeding SUV being fired. Branstad claimed he wouldn’t tolerate his drivers speeding, but has been following schedules that make it impossible to keep without speeding. The establishment Branstad and the Ron Paulite GOP state chairman, A.J. Spiker, have been involved in an apparent bitter war over control and direction of the party since last year's presidential primary season.

Checkpoints are just one of the ways the Fourth Amendment's been eroded over the decades.

Go Go Iowa GOP!!!

http://reason.com/blog/2013/10/04/iowa-gop-warns-residents-about-traffic-s

Anti Federalist
10-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Good for them!

Elias Graves
10-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Soon, we'll need our own Silk Road website just to report on locations of goon squads.

invisible
10-04-2013, 08:44 PM
It's going to be extremely interesting to see what happens with this. Checkpoints are ILLEGAL in IA, as per state law! It is one of the very few states that do not have "drunk driving checkpoints" or "seatbelt checkpoints".

Matt Collins
10-05-2013, 09:04 AM
This is what happens when we win.

Keith and stuff
10-05-2013, 09:12 AM
It's going to be extremely interesting to see what happens with this. Checkpoints are ILLEGAL in IA, as per state law! It is one of the very few states that do not have "drunk driving checkpoints" or "seatbelt checkpoints".

Laws, who needs them? Clearly the governor of IA doesn't care for or need laws.

I wonder if the Republican Governors of TX and IA have been governor for so long that they have developed mental illnesses. Clearly the governor of IA frequently breaks the law. When people question him, they are fired. I now worry for the safety of the head of the IAGOP. I guess he just lives day-by-day and hopes the governor doesn't come after him...

SteveBierfeldt
10-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks for bringing attention to this guys. It's been a major news story here. Our social networking has basically exploded, most talked about facebook post in the state party's history. There are VERY CLEAR lines being drawn between the old republicans, "listen to us and don't question anything" and the conservatives/liberty people/young people who want the Republican Party to actually take a position and stand on issues.

- Steve Bierfeldt
Executive Director, Iowa GOP

Keith and stuff
10-05-2013, 01:52 PM
However, news of the checkpoint caused a storm of comments on the KCCI Facebook page Thursday. Some question the legality of the checkpoint, but experts said it is legal if done by the book.

The checkpoint has been attention all across Iowa.

"We posted on Facebook and on our blog. It basically exploded," said Steve Bierfeldt, Iowa Republican Party executive director. "I think we've had 800 shares and 600 likes. A lot of people saying, 'Yeah, I agree. I want to live in a country that's free and based on the Constitution.'"

The Iowa GOP website encouraged people to record their conversations with police and send the GOP the audio or video. At the same time, the GOP said to comply with police requests for license registration and proof of insurance.

"That's fine, that's legal. We've encouraged people to not consent to any illegal searches. If the police say, 'Can I search your car, can I search your truck' and you've done nothing wrong, you don't have to consent to that," said Bierfeldt. "If I'm doing something wrong, the police have the right to pull me over. But if I'm just driving my kid to soccer practice, there's no reason for them to randomly pull me over."

"I think what the GOP is doing is well within their rights," said Ben Stone of the American Civil Liberties Union of Iowa.

Stone said the safety stops are constitutional, but "they really are one of the most heinous violations of the core principal of civil liberties, which is the right to be left alone if you're not harming anybody or not doing anything suspicious."

West Des Moines police spokesman James Barrett is aware of the controversy.

"Some people think it's a huge issue, but again if you just comply with the officer and vehicle working properly, you'll be on your way," said Barrett. "We're not going to turn our head from infractions, but that's not the focus. The focus is education, but obviously we have to take enforcement action if we see something that's improper or illegal."

http://m.kcci.com/news/heres-where-the-traffic-checkpoint-will-be-friday/-/16916438/22253606/-/isl8uxz/-/index.html

Matt Collins
10-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks for bringing attention to this guys. It's been a major news story here. Our social networking has basically exploded, most talked about facebook post in the state party's history. There are VERY CLEAR lines being drawn between the old republicans, "listen to us and don't question anything" and the conservatives/liberty people/young people who want the Republican Party to actually take a position and stand on issues.

- Steve Bierfeldt
Keep up the good work as always Steve, see you in 2015! :cool:

Mr.NoSmile
10-05-2013, 06:47 PM

- Steve Bierfeldt

Heartening to hear, that is. Hopefully your side not only has the numbers, but the more resonating message that will attract people to your rhetoric.