PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: US Forest Service Closing over 1000 Privately-Funded Parks

Lucille
10-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Except (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-03/troops-forage-for-food-while-golfers-play-on-in-shutdown.html) for O Duce's fave: The Andrews Air Force Base golf course is funded through user fees and that’s why it remains open, said Air Force Captain Lindy Singleton, chief of public affairs for the 11th Wing at Andrews.

Its Official: US Forest Service Closing over 1000 Privately-Funded Parks
http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2013/10/its-official-us-forest-service-closing-over-1000-privately-funded-parks.html

The US Forest Service, under pressure apparently from the White House, has reversed both its historical precedent as well as its position yesterday and will close over 1000 public parks and campgrounds that are operated by private companies without using one dime of public money. Why does the fact that our landlord the US Forest Service is going on an unpaid vacation mean that tenants of theirs have to close up shop too? We have no idea.

More Updates on Closing of Privately-Funded Parks
http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2013/10/more-updates-on-closing-of-privately-funded-parks.html

Fox Business has done an article on the government closing of privately funded parks.

One interesting note - many state parks operate on Federal land using almost exactly the same king of lease contract (called a special use permit) we have to privately operate parks and campgrounds. If private parks with this type of lease with the USFS have to close, shouldn't state parks as well? For example, both Slide Rock SP in Arizona and Burney Falls SP in California operation using the same kind of lease as we do.

The Cost of Closing Parks that Don't Have to be Closed
http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2013/10/the-cost-of-closing-parks-that-dont-have-to-be-closed.html

I got this email a few minutes ago.

Mr. Meyer: I just wanted to thank you for the letter you wrote to our senators and congressmen.

My fiance and I are scheduled to be married this Saturday at Red Rock Crossing. On Tuesday, I called and was told that the park would be open and unaffected by shutdown.

As you can imagine, the news today has me very worried. We have spent literally thousands of dollars to have a special couple of hours in the park with our families who are flying in from all over the United States and the thought of not being able to have our wedding in our dream location is upsetting to say the least.

I hope and pray that your parks and campgrounds continue to stay open.

Red Rock Crossing is a privately-operated campground that the USFS has slated for closure Friday not because it uses too much Federal money (it in fact uses none and pays rent to the Treasury) but because the White House apparently wants to artificially increase the cost of the shutdown. Well, you got your wish Mr. President.

PS- for those who are concerned, we are going to find a way to help this guy get married, even if I have to sneak them into the facility myself.

Acala
10-03-2013, 12:35 PM
The Federal Government needs to really strain to make its "shut down" seem like a burden to the people. If the vast amounts of useless or destructive programs were shut down, it would be perceived as a huge load lifted off the country. And we can't have that. So it must be focused on programs that actually provide some benefit - even if they don't cost anything.

aGameOfThrones
10-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Don't stay open.... The government hates competition?

angelatc
10-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Need some forest fires.

Lucille
10-03-2013, 02:55 PM
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1380504_1403013359929263_1919106387_n.jpg

Via Adam's F***book (https://www.facebook.com/ADAMVSTHEMAN/posts/10151631008601260). Where I saw this posted:

But because Congress allocates resources to federal agencies through a complex mix of funding sources, public lands and waters would likely remain open to most oil, gas, and mining operations. (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/09/26/2682131/national-parks-government-shutdown/)

This is even true for national parks. Drilling is currently happening in 12 national parks, including in Padre Island National Seashore in Texas and Big Cypress National Preserve in Florida. The National Park Service’s contingency plan did not specify what impacts the shutdown would have on oil and gas operations within these areas but it does note that “access to personal and commercial inholdings and leased facilities is permitted.”

jbauer
10-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I'd just go. F Yogi and Booboo. I don't need a ranger to ensure my safety. Since we are the government we own the land. Tell Ranger Rick to go F himself.

acptulsa
10-03-2013, 03:17 PM
But because Congress allocates resources to federal agencies through a complex mix of funding sources, public lands and waters would likely remain open to most oil, gas, and mining operations.

How can they make it any more official? Because taxpayers need to 'feel the pain' in order to be convinced we need Mommy Government so, so bad, parks that don't need stopgap funding are closed to the public anyway, but corporations keep on getting their natural resources on tap.

Or, to put it another way, corporations are not only citizens, but first class citizens. And you, citizens, are not first class citizens, or even second-class citizens. You, my friend, are chopped liver.

I'd just go. F Yogi and Booboo. I don't need a ranger to ensure my safety. Since we are the government we own the land. Tell Ranger Rick to go F himself.

A very rational point of view. Couldn't make more logical sense. This is just, right, and utterly sensible. Therefore, it's an attitude which is bound to land you in Leavenworth...

seapilot
10-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Time to hand the keys to the federal public lands back to the states (in which they are located) where they belong. They have shown they are inept and unable to properly manage it.

Lucille
10-03-2013, 03:26 PM
How can they make it any more official? Because taxpayers need to 'feel the pain' in order to be convinced we need Mommy Government so, so bad, parks that don't need stopgap funding are closed to the public anyway, but corporations keep on getting their natural resources on tap.

Or, to put it another way, corporations are not only citizens, but first class citizens. And you, citizens, are not first class citizens, or even second-class citizens. You, my friend, are chopped liver.....

Yup. It's too bad thinkprogess left out how the admin. is illegally closing all the privately run and funded campgrounds (once again trampling all over contract law) while allowing Big Energy to go about their business.

acptulsa
10-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Yup. It's too bad thinkprogess left out how the admin. is illegally closing all the privately run and funded campgrounds (once again trampling all over contract law) while allowing Big Energy to go about their business.

And then, after forcing campgrounds that don't need federal help to operate to close anyway for no good reason, they include this lost revenue in their 'Guess how much this is costing the economy daily' news releases.

This is costing the economy. Not because it has to. But rather, because you objected to Obamacare and we have to punish you.

Lucille
10-04-2013, 12:09 PM
First Explanation in Writing As To Why USFS Is Closing Privately-Funded Parks
http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2013/10/first-explanation-in-writing-as-to-why-usfs-is-closing-privately-funded-parks.html

From our shutdown order:

Congress has not provided appropriations for fiscal year 2014. Pursuant to applicable legal requirements in the Antideficiency Act and Attorney General opinions addressing agency operations in the absence of appropriations, the Forest Service is unable to administer federally-owned recreation facilities. Consequently these facilities will be shut down and posted accordingly with signs provided, with gates locked where they exist, restrooms locked, and water systems shut down. Visitors in occupied sites would be given 48 hours to vacate, with the area shut down as the last visitor leaves, not to exceed 48 hours.

In other words, we pay all the bills, run the parks in an independent manner, have no USFS people stationed in the parks, but we have to shut down because the Forest Service can no longer "administer" the facilities. Huh? What day-to-day administration is necessary. Remember that the USFS itself did not think their presence was necessary, originally confirming on Tuesday that we would stay open as we had in all past shutdowns.

We often go weeks and months in these facilities without ever seeing a USFS manager. The USFS considers it so important to have staff available to "administer" these facilities that none of their recreation personnel work on weekends or on holidays, by far and away the busiest and most difficult times in these facilities.

PS- I see the part about the Attorney General. Did Eric Holder decide to close us? Doesn't he know that poor and minorities disproportionately use public vs. private recreation? Isn't that a disparate impact issue in closing us?

Privately Run Park Director Again Calls Out Feds Over "Illegal" Closure
http://reason.com/blog/2013/10/04/privately-run-park-director-again-calls

Cleaner44
10-04-2013, 12:15 PM
I expect any moment now the Obama administration will order the Colorado River to stop flowing. Barrycades will be placed across the Mississippi River until the shutdown is ended. The winds will be forbidden to blow on all federal lands and even the sun may be banned.

Cleaner44
10-04-2013, 12:19 PM

calendula
10-04-2013, 03:51 PM
My state rocks sometimes:

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) is defying orders from Washington, D.C., to close down several state parks that receive federal funding.

Despite receiving a closure directive from the National Park Service, Wisconsin's Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has decided instead that parks partly funded by the federal government would stay open to the public.

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/326611-federally-funded-wisconsin-state-parks-remain-open-under-shutdown

DGambler
10-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Supposed to go camping next week in the Chattahoochee National forest at a campground administered by a private company. I called them today and they told me they were shutdown.

WTF Senate? Fuck you.

acptulsa
10-07-2013, 09:39 AM
WTF Senate? Fuck you.

Why are you blaming the senate? This was an executive order from up the Forest Service's chain of command--or, in other words, the White House.