PDA

View Full Version : GOP Donors Revolt Against Republican-Led Government Shutdown

JCDenton0451
10-03-2013, 10:21 AM
It's happening just as I predicted. (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/10/03/gop-donors-revolt-against-republican-led-government-shutdown.html)

Why, they asked, did the GOP seem so in the thrall of its most extremist wing? The donors, banker types who occupy the upper reaches of Wall Street’s towers, couldn’t understand why the Republican Party—their party—seemed close to threatening the nation with a government shutdown, never mind a default if the debt ceiling isn’t raised later this month.
“I hear this complaint all the time,” Walden said. “But no one gets involved at the local level. The Tea Party gets involved at the local level.”

(An NRCC spokeswoman disputed that Walden mentioned the Tea Party at the event.)

It is unlikely that the gilded power brokers in the Republican Party are likely to join their local county political club any time soon, but as the stock market wobbles amid the government shutdown (http://www.thedailybeast.com/features/2013/10/the-government-shutdown.html) and the continued demand for an Obamacare delay, a number of GOP donors are wondering if it is time for a little outside counter-pressure to sap the Tea Party of some of its energy.
“We are finding a marvelous way to grab defeat from the jaws of victory,” said Fred Zeidman, a Houston-based businessman who was a major donor to both of George W. Bush’s presidential campaigns. “The way we are handling this has been a mistake from the beginning. I think we misread where the country was.”
“The Tea Party is not looking at the big picture,” he said. “In the long run it will have deleterious effects on the whole party when we could have taken the high road. There is so much going on right now with Obamacare, and no one is saying a word about it.”

“I am not writing a check to anyone,” he added. “That is not working for the American people.”

Bobbie Kilberg, a Republican fundraiser who has worked for four Republican presidents, echoed Zeidman. She has hosted fundraisers for ideological warriors such as Reps. Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor, and is hosting Arkansas Senate candidate Tom Cotton later this year, but she said she will not give to the NRCC.

“When you have a small segment who dictate to the rest of the party, the result is what we have seen in the last two days,” she said. “People need to stand up and not be afraid of the Tea Party.”

“This may be a turning point,” she predicted. “People may say, ‘Enough already.’”

“I have raised a lot of money, but I am not raising any more for House candidates,” said Munr Kazmir, a New Jersey-based businessman and major donor to George W. Bush. “I am angry. I am embarrassed to be a Republican sometimes, I tell you.”

AuH20
10-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Ruthless plutocrats are angry with the house republicans? Hallejuh!!!

nobody's_hero
10-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Someone's funding got reinstated, I see.

Anyway, I always considered myself to be the last person who would ever post a Young Turks video, but I think he nailed it (mostly, anyways):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUEzJq6PGiw

FSP-Rebel
10-03-2013, 10:34 AM

georgiaboy
10-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Maybe it's time for a "We Support Gov't Shutdown" Moneybomb.

Todd
10-03-2013, 11:07 AM
"All Politics is Local" - Tip O'Neil

Tip meant it differently, but the GOP is finding out what it means when real concerned citizens decide to take charge of thier local politics.

I'm not concerned one friggin bit

malkusm
10-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Why is this considered a "Republican-led" shutdown? The House has passed 4 appropriations bills in the past week.

georgiaboy
10-03-2013, 11:33 AM
"All Politics is Local" - Tip O'Neil

Tip meant it differently, but the GOP is finding out what it means when real concerned citizens decide to take charge of thier local politics.

I'm not concerned one friggin bit

to the 17 Trillionth power.

Neil Desmond
10-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Why is this considered a "Republican-led" shutdown? The House has passed 4 appropriations bills in the past week.
It's the typical Orwellian doublethink fiction at work.

georgiaboy
10-03-2013, 11:35 AM

agree.

In addition, since when do these donors give to a party claiming to be for small gov't, and they get upset when the party is trying to enact small government?

If they were small government enthusiasts, they would be doubling down on this effort.

If.

JCDenton0451
10-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Why is this considered a "Republican-led" shutdown? The House has passed 4 appropriations bills in the past week. Because Republicans created this situation by insisting that pres. Obama repeals his own healthcare law, and refusing to pass a "clean" continuing resolution. Businesspeople aren't stupid - they see through GOP talking points.

georgiaboy
10-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Hey donors, go give to some Democrats if you love Obamacare so much.

We don't want your stinkin' money.

malkusm
10-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Because Republicans created this situation by insisting that pres. Obama repeals his own healthcare law, and refusing to pass a "clean" continuing resolution. Businesspeople aren't stupid - they see through GOP talking points.

The law can and will stand. Nothing obligates the Congress to appropriate funds to any government program. Furthermore, nothing precludes Congress or the President from funding some programs without funding others. The Senate and the President, by failing to do so, are saying that it is an acceptable price to pay to shut down the rest of the government in order to put political pressure on the House to appropriate funds for the ACA.

JCDenton0451
10-03-2013, 11:46 AM
agree.

In addition, since when do these donors give to a party claiming to be for small gov't, and they get upset when the party is trying to enact small government?

If they were small government enthusiasts, they would be doubling down on this effort.

If.

HaHa. "Small government" doesn't mean "No government"!

Seriously though, you're making the same mistake Ted Cruz does: assuming everyone who disagrees with the defunding tactic is a RINO traitor.

JCDenton0451
10-03-2013, 11:56 AM
The law can and will stand. Nothing obligates the Congress to appropriate funds to any government program. Furthermore, nothing precludes Congress or the President from funding some programs without funding others. The Senate and the President, by failing to do so, are saying that it is an acceptable price to pay to shut down the rest of the government in order to put political pressure on the House to appropriate funds for the ACA.

This is all true, but Obamacare has already been funded, I mean the funds have been appropriated, and CR shenanigans won't affect it. The House GOP is no position to stop Obamacare funding, so they're trying to use CR and debt ceiling as leverage, which is basically a form of blackmail, and quite unprecedented in American politics.

The Dems and Obama just can't afford to "compromise" on this one, because that would just encourage more GOP blackmail in the future.

malkusm
10-03-2013, 12:06 PM
This is all true, but Obamacare has already been funded, I mean the funds have been appropriated, and CR shenanigans won't affect it. The House GOP is no position to stop Obamacare funding, so they're trying to use CR and debt ceiling as leverage, which is basically a form of blackmail, and quite unprecedented in American politics.

The Dems and Obama just can't afford to "compromise" on this one, because that would just encourage more GOP blackmail in the future.

Sorry, you have to fight fire with fire. If the Dems are going to pass a law that coerces everyone into a health care system, mandate coverage, and cause rate hikes for a large number of Americans, I do not see political blackmail as being the greater evil.

ObiRandKenobi
10-03-2013, 12:10 PM
gop should just adopt all of mitt romney's winning policy positions. that way we'll have all the donors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JCDenton0451
10-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Sorry, you have to fight fire with fire. If the Dems are going to pass a law that coerces everyone into a health care system, mandate coverage, and cause rate hikes for a large number of Americans, I do not see political blackmail as being the greater evil. But you shouldn't be surprised that there are lots of people who disagree with your methods, even if they oppose Obamacare.

georgiaboy
10-03-2013, 12:50 PM

Seriously though, you're making the same mistake Ted Cruz does: assuming everyone who disagrees with the defunding tactic is a RINO traitor.

Wow, I never said any of those things.

I do have to wonder, if these donors are so up in arms about "the defunding tactic", as you call it, then why are they doing the same thing? A bit hypocritical, no?

georgiaboy
10-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Because Republicans created this situation by insisting that pres. Obama repeals his own healthcare law, and refusing to pass a "clean" continuing resolution. Businesspeople aren't stupid - they see through GOP talking points.

Keep believing that narrative all you want.

georgiaboy
10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
But you shouldn't be surprised that there are lots of people who disagree with your methods, even if they oppose Obamacare.

And you shouldn't be surprised that lots of people, whether they agree with the method or not, are happy to see GOP conservatives at least putting up a fight and attempting to put a stop to the spending spree through every legislative means they can.

mosquitobite
10-03-2013, 01:00 PM
And you shouldn't be surprised that lots of people, whether they agree with the method or not, are happy to see GOP conservatives at least putting up a fight and attempting to put a stop to the spending spree through every legislative means they can.

Why did I find Ron Paul in 2003? Because republicans became sell outs.

It's about time to see some backbone! But I'm done with theater. I want results. Reduce govt. Don't put on a show boys and then back down. Make the dems cave for once in a few decades!!

georgiaboy
10-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Why did I find Ron Paul in 2003? Because republicans became sell outs.

It's about time to see some backbone! But I'm done with theater. I want results. Reduce govt. Don't put on a show boys and then back down. Make the dems cave for once in a few decades!!

Remember the fear during the leadup to the sequester. Remember "WMDs!". Remember the leadup to TARP.

libertyjam
10-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Sorry, you have to fight fire with fire. If the Dems are going to pass a law that coerces everyone into a health care system, mandate coverage, and cause rate hikes for a large number of Americans, I do not see political blackmail as being the greater evil.

Plus the defunding does affect about 68B $ that is discretionary funding for O-Care/ACA.

brandon
10-03-2013, 01:25 PM

And they also reject them each time they come back from the Senate modified. I read a comment somewhere today that said "Imagine if the Democrats controlled the house and were attaching an assault weapons ban to the CR, and refused to pass anything that didn't contain the ban." I think that's really an apt analogy.

HOLLYWOOD
10-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Oh Noes....

What is Occupy Wall Streeters going to do now that the Lawyer Lobby and Welfare Wall Street Plutocrats are upset they're not getting their corporate welfare and Fascist business deals?

Well OWS? What's your problem now?

TruckinMike
10-03-2013, 02:17 PM
It's happening just as I predicted. (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/10/03/gop-donors-revolt-against-republican-led-government-shutdown.html)

Why, they asked, did the GOP seem so in the thrall of its most extremist wing? The donors, banker types who occupy the upper reaches of Wall Street’s towers, couldn’t understand why the Republican Party—their party—seemed close to threatening the nation with a government shutdown, never mind a default if the debt ceiling isn’t raised later this month.

Yea, like the establishment dems aren't run by the banks too....:rolleyes:

angelatc
10-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Yea, most of the problems we have in the budget are precisely because the big government GOP don't want to do anything to upset the Democrats.

And they have no use for the TEA Party, either. This is unfortunately an ideal position for the big government conservatives in an election year, because they can blame the TEA Party when talking to their donors while pretending to be conservative when talking to their voters.

susano
10-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Maybe it's time for a "We Support Gov't Shutdown" Moneybomb.

I like this! All funds go to? C4L perhaps?

susano
10-03-2013, 03:10 PM

EXACTLY. Its the neocons and big R repukes now singing that libturd tune.

susano
10-03-2013, 03:18 PM

These congressmen were sent to DC to do what they're doing. It's the job of congress to decide what they will and will not fund in a budget. They want a delay on this one item and it's perfectly within their constitutional mandate to do so. They have funded every other aspect of the govt, more than once, and it's senate Democrats and Ombomba who have decided on a shutdown, not the house. Those of us who elected these reps to do this see through Democrat smoke and mirrors. :)

susano
10-03-2013, 03:29 PM

lol

wut?

Did you get that talking point at the Democratic Underground?

CR and debt ceiling as leverage, which is basically a form of blackmail, and quite unprecedented in American politics.

Blackmail? Are you insane? WTF? Appropriations is their JOB.

There have 17 previous "shutdowns". Hardly "unprecedented" and so insignificant were their impacts that nobody outside of the beltway cares or remembers.

angelatc
10-03-2013, 03:31 PM
These congressmen were sent to DC to do what they're doing. It's the job of congress to decide what they will and will not fund in a budget. They want a delay on this one item and it's perfectly within their constitutional mandate to do so. They have funded every other aspect of the govt, more than once, and it's senate Democrats and Ombomba who have decided on a shutdown, not the house. Those of us who elected these reps to do this see through Democrat smoke and mirrors. :)

I sure didn't see the Democrats yammering "It's the law!" when Obama decided to bypass Congress and enact the Dream Act, or when he unilaterally decided to postpone implementing the portions of Obamacare he personally decided would hurt the Democrats.

Its about time the GOP showed some spine.

JCDenton0451
10-03-2013, 03:34 PM

You realise that the Republican House majority is mostly a product of gerrymandering, right? Which is not to say that these congressmen are illegitimate, but the idea that they represent Real America, that wants to defund Obamacare is quite absurd.

Most polls show that America doesn't want to defund Obamacare, especially if it involves a default or a government shutdown.

angelatc
10-03-2013, 03:40 PM
You realise that the Republican House majority is mostly a product of gerrymandering, right? Which is not to say that these congressmen are illegitimate, but the idea that they represent Real America, that wants to defund Obamacare is quite absurd.

Most polls show that America doesn't want to defund Obamacare, especially if it involves a default or a government shutdown.

Democrats - never able to tell the truth about anything. Why the heck are you even here? Typical liberal spin - he's here for no other reason to make sure we play defense instead of offense. Because if we start getting momentum, they have no defense.

Oh yeah, and because we're supposed to forget that the Democrats never gerrymander their districts. Ask Tammy Duckworth! Or really, take a look at practically any district in Illinois.

And never mind that the GOP only had the power to gerrymander because they won their offices, many of them in districts that had been gerrymandered for the Dems last time around..

The real America does not want Obamacare. That's the absolute truth. The only people who support it are those too stupid to understand it, too lazy to make more than minimum wage, and corporate America - happy to dump their portion of healthcare premiums on the taxpayer.

Congressional approval ratings were at all time lows, even before this budget discussion came up. Somebody needs to stop and look at what that's telling us.

KingRobbStark
10-03-2013, 03:41 PM
And they also reject them each time they come back from the Senate modified. I read a comment somewhere today that said "Imagine if the Democrats controlled the house and were attaching an assault weapons ban to the CR, and refused to pass anything that didn't contain the ban." I think that's really an apt analogy.

I'm OK with that. I don't want congress to pass anything.

jj-
10-03-2013, 03:47 PM
You realise that the Republican House majority is mostly a product of gerrymandering, right?

LOL. So tell me, how did they get the majority to gerrymander? What a clueless person.

angelatc
10-03-2013, 03:54 PM
LOL. So tell me, how did they get the majority to gerrymander? What a clueless person.

Being Democrat means nothing is every your own damned fault.

JCDenton0451
10-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Some longtime Republican donors are unnerved by the GOP’s shutdown strategy (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/longtime-gop-donors-unnerved-by-shutdown-strategy/2013/10/05/a95b3dac-2d04-11e3-8ade-a1f23cda135e_story.html)
The tensions bubbled up this past week at a three-day gathering in Washington for backers of American Crossroads and Crossroads GPS, the GOP-allied groups founded with the help of strategist Karl Rove that pumped hundreds of millions of dollars into the past two elections.

In between private sessions at the Four Seasons hotel with GOP stars such as Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, many attendees expressed concern about the strategy of tying funding of the government to measures that would stymie the president’s health-insurance initiative.

“People are totally annoyed,” said one attendee at the Crossroads meeting who asked not to be identified, to discuss private conversations.

“I oppose Obamacare as much as anyone else does, but this is not the way to repeal it,” said Bobbie Kilberg, a longtime GOP donor and fundraiser in Northern Virginia.

“The fact is, donors have had it,” Kilberg added, saying she will not give donations to groups raising money broadly for House or Senate Republicans. “I will only give to individual candidates who get it.”

Many veteran GOP donors also take a particularly dim view of freshman Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, a tea party favorite who helped lead the shutdown strategy.

“It appears that we’ve got a bunch of crazies running around — one from Texas and some from other places,” said Al Hoffman Jr., a former Republican National Committee finance chairman and a top fundraiser in Florida. “I love the idea of defunding Obamacare (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/house-passes-gop-spending-plan-that-defunds-obamacare/2013/09/20/4019117c-21fe-11e3-b73c-aab60bf735d0_story.html?hpid=z1). However, I don’t think it’s going to happen until we have a majority in the Senate and in the House.”

“There are a lot of major donors who feel that until the Republican party can field people who have a vested opinion of what to do and to do it in a prompt and efficient way, we’re going to withhold giving money,” Hoffman said, adding that the donor freeze could affect “a lot of current far-right Republicans.”

JCDenton0451
10-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Although, you know what...

Bobbie Kilberg (http://www.reform.virginia.gov/About/kilberg.cfm)

Bobbie Kilberg is President and CEO of the Northern Virginia Technology Council (NVTC), the largest technology council in the nation with about 1,000 members employing 200,000 people. She was a member of the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) under President George W. Bush. Mrs. Kilberg served as Deputy Assistant to the President for Public Liaison and Director of the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs for President George H.W. Bush. She also was an Associate Counsel to President Ford and a White House Fellow and Staff Assistant to the President on the Domestic Policy Council of the Nixon White House. In addition, Mrs. Kilberg practiced law with the firm of Arnold & Porter, was Vice President for Academic Affairs at Mount Vernon College, Director of the Project on the Future of Private Philanthropy at The Aspen Institute, and Vice President and General Counsel of the Roosevelt Center for American Policy Studies.

Mrs. Kilberg is a member of the Board of Trustees of George Washington University and is on the Board of Directors of NVTC's Equal Footing Foundation, The Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts, Grandma Rita's Children, the McLean Community Foundation, and United Bank. She previously served on the Board of Trustees/Directors of WETA, The Potomac School, Lab School of Washington, U.S. Holocaust Memorial Council, Greater Washington Sports Alliance, and the U.S. Naval Academy (Board of Visitors).

Screw this bitch!:D

I wonder how Sheldon Adelson is feeling?

Brian4Liberty
10-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Bobbie Kilberg, a Republican fundraiser who has worked for four Republican presidents, echoed Zeidman. She has hosted fundraisers for ideological warriors such as Reps. Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor, and is hosting Arkansas Senate candidate Tom Cotton later this year, but she said she will not give to the NRCC.

“When you have a small segment who dictate to the rest of the party, the result is what we have seen in the last two days,” she said. “People need to stand up and not be afraid of the Tea Party.”

A neo-con opposing the Tea Party movement. How shocking.

kcchiefs6465
10-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Where are you from JCD?

For an Englishman you really do care a lot about who can and can't come into the US, about who does or doesn't get paid through government thefts, and about the Israel-US marriage. The last of which I could see why a foreigner would care.

Odd.

JCDenton0451
10-06-2013, 01:12 PM
A neo-con opposing the Tea Party movement. How shocking.

So she was quoted in two different articles I posted. I didn't notice that. It seems that the shutdown pissed off a lot of Zionist donors. I doubt they're going to disappear though. They'll just donate straight to their candidates, and now they know that Tea Party is the enemy.

Anti Federalist
10-06-2013, 01:19 PM
LOL...

Concerned Trolls are concerned.

JCDenton0451
10-06-2013, 01:33 PM
If you're talking about me, I was never a Tea Party guy. My very real concern is that this idiocy will make it harder for Rand Paul to win in 2016. To his credit, he made some effort to distance himself from Cruz on Obamacare strategy, but he will still share the blame for this mess, being a part of the Tea Party.

Anti Federalist
10-06-2013, 01:37 PM
If you're talking about me, I was never a Tea Party guy. My very real concern is that this idiocy will make it harder for Rand Paul to win in 2016. To his credit, he made some effort to distance himself from Cruz on Obamacare strategy, but he will still share the blame for this mess, being a part of the Tea Party.

No, it was more directed at the banksters.

Your comment does reveal to me, the ridiculous notion that any of this will be solved politically.

If the "liberty" wing in the House can't do this, what makes you think the response will be any different when a President Rand starts stamping "veto" on unconstitutional budget spending?

HOLLYWOOD
10-06-2013, 01:43 PM
So basically, there's only one policy, but 2 parties to give the illusion of choice. Whatever's convenient for the campaign donors... that yields the most/highest return on your bribery campaign donations to the whores inside the DC beltway.

We already know, just FIVE money masters controlled the GOP party with over $1/4 Billion is donations/PAC cash in 2012, laundered by political clowns like Karl Rove.

JCDenton0451
10-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Problems for Justin Amash (http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/some-tea-party-congressmen-find-signs-of-political-backlash-at-home/2013/10/06/d13d698a-2d27-11e3-b139-029811dbb57f_story.html)

But within Grand Rapids’ powerful business establishment, patience is running low with Amash’s ideological agenda and tactics. Some business leaders are recruiting a Republican primary challenger (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130926/OPINION01/309260013) who they hope will serve the old-fashioned way — by working the inside game and playing nice to gain influence and solve problems for the district. They are tired of tea party governance, as exemplified by the budget fight that led to the shutdown and threatens a first-ever U.S. credit default.

Some prominent business leaders are lining up behind investment manager Brian Ellis, according to several GOP operatives here. Ellis declined to grant an interview but wrote in an e-mail: “I am taking a hard look at running in the Republican primary” and “will make up my mind in the near future.”

State Sen. Mark C. Jansen, seen as a pragmatic Republican, also is weighing a challenge to Amash, said Deb Drick, his chief of staff. “We get frequent calls from people encouraging Senator Jansen to run,” Drick said. “There’s got to be a reason he’s being approached so much.”

Meg Goebel, president of the Paul Goebel Group, (http://www.paulgoebelgroup.com/index.asp?LT=goebelm) an insurance agency, said she is “really, really unhappy” with the leading role Amash has played in tying the health-care law to overall government funding.

It's not all that bad and some big donors still support him, but can't help but feel that Amash just made life more difficult for himself for no good reason.

klamath
10-07-2013, 07:47 AM
JC when are you going to get tired of your concern trolling.

JCDenton0451
10-07-2013, 08:30 AM
It's not trolling, because my concern is genuine.

Primbs
10-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Well we will just have to fight back. It is part of the game. Time to help him out.

AuH20
10-07-2013, 08:51 AM
It's not trolling, because my concern is genuine.

Concern for the Northeastern Establishment that has been intentionally sabotaging the Republican Party for over 70 years? Really? They can go pound sand and jump in the nearest volcano.

JCDenton0451
10-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Concern for the Northeastern Establishment that has been intentionally sabotaging the Republican Party for over 70 years? Really? They can go pound sand and jump in the nearest volcano.

Concern for GOP fortunes in Virginia, Florida, NC, Colorado - the states that Rand will need to win in 2016. Also, if this goes particularly badly, Republicans might lose control of the House, which would be a real disaster.

angelatc
10-07-2013, 09:11 AM

Go Rand go.

The anti-Tea Party meme is drummed up in the media to try to discredit small government conservatives. The elections tell the story.

JCDenton0451
10-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Go Rand go.

The anti-Tea Party meme is drummed up in the media to try to discredit small government conservatives. The elections tell the story.

You mean the 2012 election? :rolleyes:

Cleaner44
10-07-2013, 09:35 AM

I can't help but wonder why you are here. You clearly are more interested in compromising with BIG GOVT liberals, especially those in the GOP, than you are in reducing the state power of individuals. Can you share why you are interested in Rand Paul winning in 2016?

angelatc
10-07-2013, 09:39 AM

So you are here to try to convince us that Rand will excite the base and win the presidency by embracing Obamacare, big government, and abandoning the Tea Party that sent him to DC in the first place.

angelatc
10-07-2013, 09:43 AM
You mean the 2012 election? :rolleyes:

The Dems picked up a net 2 seats, which was no surprise after the thrashing they took in 2010. If you're talking about the presidency, there wasn't a conservative in the race.

JCDenton0451
10-07-2013, 10:31 AM
The Dems picked up a net 2 seats, which was no surprise after the thrashing they took in 2010. If you're talking about the presidency, there wasn't a conservative in the race.

Then how do you explain the fact that Romney got more votes than conservative Senate candidates: Akin, Murdock, and Cruz. Yes, even Cruz. (http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/TX)

angelatc
10-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Then how do you explain the fact that Romney got more votes than conservative Senate candidates: Akin, Murdock, and Cruz. Yes, even Cruz. (http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/TX)

Seriously?

The entire country didn't get to vote for Akin, Murdock or Cruz.

EBounding
10-07-2013, 11:02 AM

And Obama got more votes than Sadler in Texas....I think the real lesson is people are more simply likely to vote for President than Senate, unless the Senate candidates make some bonehead statements (Akin & Mourdock).