PDA

View Full Version : AMC Theatres offers free popcorn to federal employees during shutdown

jct74
10-02-2013, 01:21 PM
AMC Theatres offers free popcorn to federal employees during shutdown

CBS NEWS / October 2, 2013, 1:35 PM

Get your popcorn, here! AMC Theatres announced Tuesday that it's offering federal employees a free small popcorn because of the U.S. government shutdown, which has left thousands of employees out of work on furlough.

In a graphic, the movie theater chain notes: "make the best of the mess in DC":

AMC explained: "The offer is good until common sense is restored in Washington, D.C., or, more likely, until the shutdown ends or we run out of free popcorn."

Upon arrival at the movies, federal employees will just to have to present a valid government or military I.D. card to get in on the deal.

"There are hundreds of thousands of federal workers whose lives are being impacted," said John McDonald, AMC's executive vice president of operations. "While we can't do anything to resolve gridlock in Washington, D.C., we can provide a few hours of entertainment and free popcorn while they wait to get back to work."

The shutdown went into effect at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday. On Wednesday, in an effort to break the stalemate, President Barack Obama asked congressional leaders to convene at the White House for a late afternoon meeting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57605701/amc-theatres-offers-free-popcorn-to-federal-employees-during-shutdown/

V3n
10-02-2013, 01:26 PM
"There are hundreds of thousands of federal workers whose lives are being impacted,"

What I think he means...
"There are hundreds of thousands of federal workers sitting around at home, they may as well be sitting in our theater."

I've got to hand it to him for good marketing. And who gets a free small popcorn without a large $5 Coke?

phill4paul
10-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Umm, what about a free popcorn to those workers that were downgraded to part-time because of ACA. What about those that have seen large increases in insurance premiums? Well, after all, Gov. worship is endimic in Hollywood.

Philhelm
10-02-2013, 01:31 PM
I've got to hand it to him for good marketing. And who gets a free small popcorn without a large $5 Coke?

Or a movie ticket, for that matter. At first I was going to mention that the federal employees already get enough "free" stuff, but my love of capitalism trumps that. I hope they make a lot of money from the federal employees.

georgiaboy
10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
This is great.

AMC's new lineup of movies during the shutdown:

Mr. Smith goes to Washington
V for Vendetta
Braveheart
For Liberty

others?

angelatc
10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
"The offer is good until common sense is restored in Washington, D.C., or, more likely, until the shutdown ends or we run out of free popcorn."

Restored?

jkr
10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
SOME
ANIMALS
ARE
MORE
EQUAL
THAN
OTHERS

nobody's_hero
10-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Hey I work for the federal government too. I spend hours upon hours doing laborious tasks to sustain the Fed.gov via taxation. Therefore, I work for the federal government.

Now gimme my damn popcorn.